PDA

View Full Version : What should be done with Jefferson?

SBK
06-05-2007, 04:00 PM
If this is a repost, I don't care.

Now with Jefferson facing over 200 years in prison if he's convicted, what should be done? What is Pelosi going to do since she was hired to clean up the house and end the "culture of corruption?"

If you want to know what I think, I have no idea why this guy lasted 24 hours after they found $90,000 worth of lettuce in his freezer.

ClevelandBronco
06-05-2007, 05:39 PM
How about something crazy like a trial.

SBK
06-05-2007, 06:21 PM
You think he should remain in his post until his trial is over?

patteeu
06-05-2007, 06:48 PM

LMAO

Well, let's not send him to Gitmo or he may never face justice.

Cochise
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, since Dick Cheney deserves execution according to D.C. posters, I think life in prison would suffice.

WoodDraw
06-05-2007, 08:20 PM
He's been stripped of his committee assignments already. No house member has ever been expelled prior to being convicted. He was reelected by his district and should serve until found guilty.

My guess is that he resigns shortly though, before the ethics committee rules.

ClevelandBronco
06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
...He was reelected by his district and should serve until found guilty.

Or until he is recalled by the voters.

Oh, hell. I only quoted part of your post. Can you and a friend pile on me for eight to 10 pages? Thanks.

Dave Lane
06-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I agree he's got to go and I hope serve prison time if convicted.

Dave

jAZ
06-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I posted the following on rexcjake's stupidly titled thread on the subject....

He should be stripped of his committee assignments and asked to resign. And the people in his district should run a recall election if he doesn't.

WoodDraw
06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Recall elections on the federal level are unconstitutional. He must resign, be expelled by the house, or be voted out of office.

Logical
06-05-2007, 11:20 PM

Now with Jefferson facing over 200 years in prison if he's convicted, what should be done? What is Pelosi going to do since she was hired to clean up the house and end the "culture of corruption?"

If you want to know what I think, I have no idea why this guy lasted 24 hours after they found $90,000 worth of lettuce in his freezer.

You would have to ask the Republicans, they were in power when he was caught with the money in his freezer.

ClevelandBronco
06-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Recall elections on the federal level are unconstitutional. He must resign, be expelled by the house, or be voted out of office.

Good info. You taught me something tonight. Thanks.

Here's backup:

http://www.c-span.org/questions/week184.asp

"As for Members of Congress, rather than impeachment, the Constitution provides the remedy of “expulsion” in Article I, section 5: “Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly behavior, and with the concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.” Only one chamber determines the fate of its own Members, with a 2/3 vote. Concurrence of the other body is not needed, so there is no trial.

Expulsions have been rare in congressional history because Members prefer to let constituents decide whether or not to remove a sitting Member by simply not re-electing him/her. In the Senate, 15 Senators have been expelled: 1 in 1797 and 14 for treason during the Civil War. In the House, 4 Representatives have been expelled - 3 for treason during the Civil War and 1 [Rep. Ozzie Meyers, D-PA] in 1980 for bribery [cash transfer caught on videotape by the FBI].

Some states have enacted “recall” election laws aimed at state level officials and legislators. Court rulings have established that Members of Congress, as federal constitutional officers, are not subject to recall under the authority of a state law. Nor is a recall special election procedure provided for in the U.S. Constitution for federal officials. Recall remains a state remedy. The removal of Members of the U.S. Congress is left to the expulsion clause of the Constitution, or to the wish of voters to hold them accountable for their actions by refusing to re-elect them in the next regular election."

SBK
06-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I posted the following on rexcjake's stupidly titled thread on the subject....

He should be stripped of his committee assignments and asked to resign. And the people in his district should run a recall election if he doesn't.

Must be a blizzard in hell today cause this is exactly what I think should happen as well. :)

SBK
06-06-2007, 01:06 PM
You would have to ask the Republicans, they were in power when he was caught with the money in his freezer.

I don't think it's up to them. I think that he should step down, or he should be asked by the woman that the citizens hired to "clean up the house" to get the f out.

I found it interesting that after he was indicted it seems that nobody had anything to say about it.

noa
06-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't think it's up to them. I think that he should step down, or he should be asked by the woman that the citizens hired to "clean up the house" to get the f out.

I found it interesting that after he was indicted it seems that nobody had anything to say about it.

I guess both parties have begun the process of requesting the ethics committee examine Jefferson. Hoyer and Boehner each made their own proposals, so in a sense, it is being talked about through those actions.

From what I've read, its unprecedented to expel a Congressman before he's convicted. The last expelled Congressman was Trafficant, and he had already been convicted.

The Repubs didn't move to expel Bob Ney last year after he was indicted. He eventually resigned, which is what I expect Jefferson will do.

Having said all that, the Dems would do well to crack down on this and show that they are serious about corruption in all types of government, including their own party. JMO

bkkcoh
06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Pelosi should resign from her position because these are old allegations but recent chargers and she still put in leadership positions.

Must be a blizzard in hell today cause this is exactly what I think should happen as well. :)

Nope, it was just cold hard cash....

Logical
06-06-2007, 03:13 PM

So you absolve the Republicans who controlled the House when he was found with the money in his freezer, remember this occured prior to the 2006 elections.

chagrin
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM
So you absolve the Republicans who controlled the House when he was found with the money in his freezer, remember this occured prior to the 2006 elections.

That's not the issue at hand dude, what should be done NOW?

jAZ
06-06-2007, 03:27 PM
That's not the issue at hand dude, what should be done NOW?
You are directing your scolding to the wrong poster.
Pelosi should resign from her position because these are old allegations but recent chargers and she still put in leadership positions.
Simple oversight.

ClevelandBronco
06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Simple oversight.

More like lack of oversight. I remember all kinds of hell being raised at the time.

jAZ
06-06-2007, 04:29 PM
More like lack of oversight. I remember all kinds of hell being raised at the time.
An oversight by chagrin to miss bkkoch's post. ;)

SCChief
06-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Point taken. But there was no indictment when the Republicans were in control. I agree they should have called for an ethics review, but it would have been called partisan politics at that time. It would have been viewed as a tactic to try and win the elections for the party that was taking a beating in the polls.

The Republicans were screwed on this one no matter which way they went.

SBK
06-06-2007, 05:36 PM

I think being indicted is different from what happened when they found the money. Just like doing something now, or waiting until a conviction is different too.

I really don't care what's done, I think the guy would be doing the right thing to step down. I just wanted to know what everyone else though.

I take it your opinion is to complain about republicans. :p