PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock : CARL VS. L.J. IS NEXT BATTLE ROYALE

booger
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
CARL VS. L.J. IS NEXT BATTLE ROYALE
With Jared Allen eating sushi and promising to lead a wilí-out-free social life, and Trent Green packing his footballs and heading to a South Florida home, thereís only one compelling story line left in the latest episode of ďThe Last King of Mediocrity.Ē

Carl Peterson vs. Larry Johnson.

Yes, the main event: King Carl vs. L.J. for all the money in Clark Huntís piggybank. This should be far better than De la Hoya-Mayweather, and if the executives running HBO were smart, theyíd do a 24/7 documentary on this historic battle rather than taping Kansas Cityís training camp.

This is a showdown that has been brewing ever since King Carl hoodwinked Johnson and his agent into signing that ridiculous, Master P-approved rookie contract. This thing should get UFC bloody and ugly.

Before the end of training camp, I fully expect Petersonís pit bull/mouthpiece Bob Gretz and Johnsonís pit bull/mouthpiece Rhonda Moss to square off in a dogfight that will have Michael ďRon CujoĒ Vick flush with envy.

Seriously, Iím so glad Trent Green is finally gone. Bickering over the value and treatment of a filthy-rich, 37-year-old quarterback was a bit boring for my taste, especially when you know Peterson could just as easily botch a fourth-round pick as a sixth.

The Green-Peterson scrap sounded like a Leawood father and son arguing over whether the kid deserves the fully loaded SUV or the sport package. Peterson-Johnson has the promise of getting as rowdy as me and my brother coming to blows over the last pork chop at a Labor Day barbecue.

Right now, my money is on The Last King of Mediocrity.

Heís been in the gym training for this bout ever since Priest Holmes bamboozled the Chiefs out of a final payday and quickly retired to a life of nachos, yearly, inconclusive MRI scans on his spine and babyís mama drama.

King Carl vowed never again. Only Tony Gonzalez and Tom Condon are allowed to fleece the Huntís bank account under Petersonís watch. Peterson would rather name Ethan Locke head coach and put Jack Harry in charge of ticket prices than reward Larry Johnson with LaDainian Tomlinson-type money.

And, in many respects, Peterson is holding all of the leverage. Peterson gleefully watched as his new head coach, Herm Edwards, overworked Johnson all last season, giving him an NFL record number of carries. Edwards used Johnson in a way that indicated the Chiefs donít have long-term plans for Johnson.

Peterson could refuse to offer Johnson a fair contract extension, run L.J. into the ground again this season, slap the franchise tag on him for the 2008 season and discard Johnson in 2009.

That would be the cold-blooded business move. Based on the way Johnson has conducted himself in his years as a Chief, Iím not sure many fans would be sympathetic toward Johnson. He has never pretended to be much of a team guy, so few people will care if the Chiefs treat Johnson in a selfish manner.

Johnsonís leverage is a 2007 holdout. Heís on the books to earn about $1.7 million this year. If he sits out and sacrifices the money, the Chiefs could be the 2006 Oakland Raiders. Those Raiders, despite a very good defense, finished 2-14 and scored just 168 points. They were darn near impossible to watch.

The Chiefs could be that bad. Without Johnson, I honestly donít know how the Chiefs score a point. By midseason, Arrowhead Stadium would be half empty on game day. By the end of the season, youíd swear the Royals were playing football.

And L.J.ís absence would certainly hamper the development of Brodie Croyle.

The problem for Johnson is that The Last King of Mediocrity could survive a 2-14 season. With Green in Miami and the Chiefs breaking in a new quarterback, Peterson could use 2-14 as a true rebuilding year, and Chiefs fans would be excited about having the No. 1 pick (although the enthusiasm would be tempered by the knowledge that Peterson would draft Todd Blackledge).

Again, Peterson is bunkered in and ready for a losing season. Johnson is not prepared to sacrifice $1.7 million. Thatís money heíll never get back. Plus, heíll be a year older and still looking for a new contract.

Peterson is a heavy favorite in this fight, but weíve seen him blow 13-3 regular seasons and home-field advantage, so anything is a possibility.

greg63
06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
...Peterson-Johnson has the promise of getting as rowdy as me and my brother coming to blows over the last pork chop at a Labor Day barbecue...
LMAO

This line cracked me up!

Ultra Peanut
06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Maybe this can be a Vince Russo REVERSE BATTLE ROYAL

Pushead2
06-05-2007, 11:16 PM
MMMMmmmmm Pork Chop

Ebolapox
06-05-2007, 11:17 PM
oh jesus christ--PETERSON DID NOT DRAFT TODD BLACKLEDGE, YOU F*CKING IDIOT!!

Baconeater
06-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Heh, people thought the Trent Green thing was going to be a distraction.

Phobia
06-05-2007, 11:24 PM
This is a throwdown column from Jason. I was cracking up throughout. It was good, but in a ChiefsPlanet rant kind of way. If I were strictly a KC Star sports page Chief fix reader, I'd be disappointed. But as a ChiefsPlanet reader, I'm entertained.

Well done, Jason. If you were bringing me porkchops, I'd have left you a 25% tip.

greg63
06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
This is a throwdown column from Jason. I was cracking up throughout. It was good, but in a ChiefsPlanet rant kind of way. If I were strictly a KC Star sports page Chief fix reader, I'd be disappointed. But as a ChiefsPlanet reader, I'm entertained.

Well done, Jason. If you were bringing me porkchops, I'd have left you a 25% tip.

Exactly! :clap:

chiefbowe82
06-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Well they don't have to pay green now

Smed1065
06-05-2007, 11:43 PM
IIRC, if Johnson holds out this year, he would not be able to void the last two years of his contract.

I could be wrong and it would not be the first time. Anyone know for a fact if this is true?

booger
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Don't know Smed. But I hear that too. Don't know the truth of it. Good point.

Smed1065
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Well they don't have to pay green now

They still take a cap hit this year for Green, I think it is even a hit next year if they divide it.

trndobrd
06-05-2007, 11:50 PM
This is silliness. This deal will be done quickly and quietly.

Now that Green is gone, the cap situation is clear and Carl has plenty of cap room to play with. He is also aware that LJ is the key to any success during the next three years.

LJ is a 'Carl guy' and has been since the moment he was drafted. Carl has made it clear that he doesn't want to get into the last year of LJ's contract and Carl has a history of taking care of his top players.

TinyEvel
06-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Man, the friggin Trent thing is not even five hours old and there's already 2 new articles about turmoil. This aint the tabloids. Is it?

trndobrd
06-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Man, the friggin Trent thing is not even five hours old and there's already 2 new articles about turmoil. This aint the tabloids. Is it?

Lets see, which sells more papers?

"Johnson and Chiefs Both Want Longterm Deal"

or

"Carl vs L.J. is Next Battle Royale"

Baconeater
06-05-2007, 11:55 PM
DramaPlanet.

Fish
06-05-2007, 11:57 PM

Now that Green is gone, the cap situation is clear and Carl has plenty of cap room to play with. He is also aware that LJ is the key to any success during the next three years.

LJ is a 'Carl guy' and has been since the moment he was drafted. Carl has made it clear that he doesn't want to get into the last year of LJ's contract and Carl has a history of taking care of his top players.

Well said. My feelings as well.

jwhit shitstirrer blah blah...

Otter
06-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Peterson could refuse to offer Johnson a fair contract extension, run L.J. into the ground again this season, slap the franchise tag on him for the 2008 season and discard Johnson in 2009.

I can only imagine that anyone who's made it to the pros can can successfully feign injury. Pulled hamstrings are diagnosed almost solely on patient feedback aren't they?

The Last King of Mediocrity - so true, so priceless.

Nice article.

NewChief
06-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Funny article.

Count Zarth
06-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Good column until this part:

Peterson is bunkered in and ready for a losing season.

In no way is that true, IMO.

boogblaster
06-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Pay the guy...hell he's running the ball 500 times a year..christ........

the Talking Can
06-06-2007, 06:37 AM
according to Whitlock, Carl was a fool for not giving Trent away....

sweet gig

Kerberos
06-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Drama

Whitlocks columns need more fuggin drama.

:rolleyes:

Messier
06-06-2007, 06:47 AM
This column reeks of someone alittle bitter that this grudge match didn't drag into training camp.

tomahawk kid
06-06-2007, 06:52 AM
It's going to be really funny when LJ gets a boatload of cash right before training camp.

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 07:10 AM
"Before the end of training camp, I fully expect Petersonís pit bull/mouthpiece Bob Gretz and Johnsonís pit bull/mouthpiece Rhonda Moss to square off in a dogfight that will have Michael ďRon CujoĒ Vick flush with envy."
:)

"...especially when you know Peterson could just as easily botch a fourth-round pick as a sixth"
ROFL

crazycoffey
06-06-2007, 07:25 AM
ha, "Ron Cujo" there's you new name NewChief!

I agreed with what Phobia said, funny article but def. a Chiefs Planet rant feel to it, not a Newspaper article. Jwhit is spending too much time in here.

I did just say that, but I don't care.....

Splat420
06-06-2007, 07:28 AM
"He's on the books to earn about $1.7 million this year."

With a back up RB in SD making 2.5 this year no way LJ steps on the field for 1.7 never going to happen.

InChiefsHell
06-06-2007, 07:34 AM
"He's on the books to earn about $1.7 million this year."

With a back up RB in SD making 2.5 this year no way LJ steps on the field for 1.7 never going to happen.

And shouldn't...and it won't either. He'll get a good pay day, maybe not LT money but pretty damn close...probably with incentives as well.

...LJ will be a Chief for a long time.

Splat420
06-06-2007, 07:37 AM
I agree we should pay the man I'm ok with giving him top five money but I want the highest paid RB stuff to stop right now. I think something will get worked out I really do Carl has had a man crush on LJ since day one he will get a nice deal.

Anyong Bluth
06-06-2007, 07:40 AM
They still take a cap hit this year for Green, I think it is even a hit next year if they divide it.

Its on our cap number for the year, but we're under the cap as is, and its not $ actually being paid out, which is money you can bank as a savings to use on Jared Allen and LJ.

Carl has always been a bit more generous with "his" guys. LJ was his pick, and just like TG or DT, Carl enjoys the credit for getting the guy. I think he'll probably be more than willing to make him a top 3 for his position contract, so long as he can spread out the number of years over a 5+ year contract.

I think the key to enticing LJ would be to offer him a cap friendly escalating contract laden with incentive clauses, but give him a high dollar signing bonus. Many would see this as an unwise move, but if you're simply shifting the number from base salary to signing bonus, its might hurt you in guaranteed money due, but it can be spread over the number of years of the contract. I am not talking about going overboard with the numbers, just a mildly above avg #, which would appease LJ, and the team can recoup by a lower base, with a large portion of the contract due in the final two years. With the cap only going to keep rising, his salary down the road would probably still mean he won't be a top 5 paid RB in the league.

LJ is very big on feeling others show him respect and what not. I seriously think that dangling the carrot of a bigger signing bonus w/ a lower base salary incentive clause contract would feed straight into his ego. If you're negotiating with him, you can totally take the position of, "LJ, you're getting all this $ up front right away, and with all the incentives- which if you're the caliber player you believe you are, should be no problem in attaining."

I don't see Carl and LJ going to blows over this, if they do, it won't be for what JW supposes. If a deal becomes fruitless, I'd put money on it being more the fact that LJ wants to play elsewhere and is going to use whatever reason they can that won't cause PR nightmares. It doesn't help LJ to pull a Jared Allen spouting off and having fans and other teams possibly interested to some degree see his attitude as a possible red flag. Its not like LJ doesn't already have a few blips on the radar in terms of attitude and locker room concerns.

I think at worst case we've got him for 2 more seasons, and my guess is the idea of showcasing in NY is really the only reason he wouldn't want to stick around sans being lowballed?

The End

Reerun_KC
06-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Funny Article... I liked the nickname ďThe Last King of Mediocrity" for Carl.... Pretty funny...

LJ should bend Carl over the barrel and drive him home...

ROYC75
06-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Peterson-Johnson has the promise of getting as rowdy as me and my brother coming to blows over the last pork chop at a Labor Day barbecue.

ROFL Spoken like a true warrior....... But Jason forgot to tell ya he ate the whole side of that pig first.

the Talking Can
06-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Its on our cap number for the year, but we're under the cap as is, and its not $ actually being paid out, which is money you can bank as a savings to use on Jared Allen and LJ.

Carl has always been a bit more generous with "his" guys. LJ was his pick, and just like TG or DT, Carl enjoys the credit for getting the guy. I think he'll probably be more than willing to make him a top 3 for his position contract, so long as he can spread out the number of years over a 5+ year contract.

I think the key to enticing LJ would be to offer him a cap friendly escalating contract laden with incentive clauses, but give him a high dollar signing bonus. Many would see this as an unwise move, but if you're simply shifting the number from base salary to signing bonus, its might hurt you in guaranteed money due, but it can be spread over the number of years of the contract. I am not talking about going overboard with the numbers, just a mildly above avg #, which would appease LJ, and the team can recoup by a lower base, with a large portion of the contract due in the final two years. With the cap only going to keep rising, his salary down the road would probably still mean he won't be a top 5 paid RB in the league.

LJ is very big on feeling others show him respect and what not. I seriously think that dangling the carrot of a bigger signing bonus w/ a lower base salary incentive clause contract would feed straight into his ego. If you're negotiating with him, you can totally take the position of, "LJ, you're getting all this $ up front right away, and with all the incentives- which if you're the caliber player you believe you are, should be no problem in attaining."

I don't see Carl and LJ going to blows over this, if they do, it won't be for what JW supposes. If a deal becomes fruitless, I'd put money on it being more the fact that LJ wants to play elsewhere and is going to use whatever reason they can that won't cause PR nightmares. It doesn't help LJ to pull a Jared Allen spouting off and having fans and other teams possibly interested to some degree see his attitude as a possible red flag. Its not like LJ doesn't already have a few blips on the radar in terms of attitude and locker room concerns.

I think at worst case we've got him for 2 more seasons, and my guess is the idea of showcasing in NY is really the only reason he wouldn't want to stick around sans being lowballed?

The End

you deserve Whitlock's check this week

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 08:22 AM
LJ isn't in a contract year.

He can't void the last two years of his contract if he doesn't play.

There's really nothing to this at this point, but I guess Whitlock needs to sell papers.

InChiefsHell
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
That's what I was going to say...he's still under contract and won't be a FA until NEXT year...they'll get this deal done.

jwhit
06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
LJ would report week 10 if he holds out.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
LJ would report week 10 if he holds out.

He could very well do that.

And what exactly does that accomplish?

He's not Asante Samuel. He doesn't have 6, 8, or even 10 years left in the league.

Larry Johnson is closer to 30 than 25 and he set a league record for carries in a season last year.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-06-2007, 10:01 AM
If Priest goes down, the season is lost. If Green goes down, the season is lost. If LJ.... History says: yawn

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM
And what exactly does that accomplish?

Probably an 0-10 record.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Probably an 0-10 record.

ROFL

:thumb:

I meant for Larry.

Count Zarth
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
LJ isn't going to holdout...as htismaqe said and as was posted before, if he holds out he shoots himself in the foot by losing the option to void the last two years of his deal.

And they're closer to getting a deal done than some of you might think.

BIG_DADDY
06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
That was a pretty good take, funny too.

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 10:30 AM
And they're closer to getting a deal done than some of you might think.

Please share the daily Nathan flatulence with us.

BIG_DADDY
06-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Please share the daily Nathan flatulence with us.

Don't clown GoChiefs. He has been looking his whole life to finally be a part of something. Be happy for him.

Reerun_KC
06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Don't clown GoChiefs. He has been looking his whole life to finally be a part of something. Be happy for him.

Is GoChiefs the next Bob Gretz?

BIG_DADDY
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Is GoChiefs the next Bob Gretz?

Nah, just Nathan's fluffer, it's a start though.

Easy 6
06-06-2007, 01:25 PM

You have a real knack for knifing through BS trndobrd.

Having said that, i really did enjoy the article...there were some genuine chuckles in there.

Toad
06-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Can we trade or cut Whitlock this offseason?

Jason, contrary to what you believe, Carl is not satan. This constant whining about how Carl does things that do not meet your agenda is getting old. There is no entertainment in that for me.

Guru
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
So who gave JW the idea of Last King of Mediocrity anyway? We know he didn't come up with that himself. Even if it is stupid.

Logical
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Outstanding article, all the slams on Carl and his minions made my day. Five thumbs up.

Logical
06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
ha, "Ron Cujo" there's you new name NewChief!

I agreed with what Phobia said, funny article but def. a Chiefs Planet rant feel to it, not a Newspaper article. Jwhit is spending too much time in here.

I did just say that, but I don't care.....
I swear Whitlock owes the Planet part of his paycheck.

Count Zarth
06-06-2007, 10:22 PM
I swear Whitlock owes the Planet part of his paycheck.

Me too, eh!?

Logical
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Me too, eh!?

Much as I hate to admit it, you are now part of the Planet.

Count Zarth
06-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Much as I hate to admit it, you are now part of the Planet.

I was referring to the notion that I rip off the Planet.

Logical
06-07-2007, 12:07 AM
I was referring to the notion that I rip off the Planet.
You think I actually read your stuff? :LOL:

Count Zarth
06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
You think I actually read your stuff? :LOL:

I guess you are too arrogant.

Coogs
06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I was listening to 610 last night around 5:30 PM. The host of the show at that time.... don't remember who.... was saying that all long term contracts have to be done by July 15th OR they must wait until the 2007 football season is complete to redo the deal. He made a reference to the Cowboys and Emmit Smith a few years back, when Smith held out the 1st two games of the season, the Cowboys lost those 1st two games, and the promptly got the new long term deal done. He said that can no longer happen under new NFL policy.

Just had not heard any of this before, and thought it was interesting. Not sure if it is correct or not. JW makes this sound as if it is not, as he brings training camp into the negotation process.

Anyone know for sure if the 610 guy knew what he was talking about?

htismaqe
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I was listening to 610 last night around 5:30 PM. The host of the show at that time.... don't remember who.... was saying that all long term contracts have to be done by July 15th OR they must wait until the 2007 football season is complete to redo the deal. He made a reference to the Cowboys and Emmit Smith a few years back, when Smith held out the 1st two games of the season, the Cowboys lost those 1st two games, and the promptly got the new long term deal done. He said that can no longer happen under new NFL policy.

Just had not heard any of this before, and thought it was interesting. Not sure if it is correct or not. JW makes this sound as if it is not, as he brings training camp into the negotation process.

Anyone know for sure if the 610 guy knew what he was talking about?

That would be a new and interesting wrinkle.

go bowe
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
LJ isn't going to holdout...as htismaqe said and as was posted before, if he holds out he shoots himself in the foot by losing the option to void the last two years of his deal.

And they're closer to getting a deal done than some of you might think.thanks for the tip, nick...

StcChief
06-07-2007, 01:50 PM
That would be a new and interesting wrinkle.
Much like the Sign Woods for a year contract to put him in reserve/retired status.

Didn't they do that for a 'Day contract' before ??? this part of the new CBA with NFLPA.....?

Fruit Ninja
06-07-2007, 02:16 PM
oh yeah, Whitlok this isnt even a battle royale. Get it right. its just a good match.

Count Zarth
11-07-2010, 10:05 PM

WHITLOCK FOR GM!