PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Herm & Gun...FRIENDS...FOR-EV-ER....

Count Alex's Wins
06-06-2007, 09:14 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/06/06/gretz_the_reality_of_herm__gun/

GRETZ: The Reality of Herm & Gun
Jun 06, 2007, 8:54:05 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

It was early in the 2006 season and Gunther Cunningham had just read a story in the Kansas City Star that indicated he and head coach Herm Edwards were at odds.

Cunningham was irate. The defensive coordinator sought out the author and in no uncertain terms relayed his thoughts about the piece.

“I was hot,” Cunningham said. “It had this stuff that Herm and I weren’t on the same page because I wanted to blitz every play and he’s a cover-two guy. It was bull. It was so far from the truth. It was probably one of the worst and most incorrect things I read throughout my coaching career”

Yes, but that was the perception of many outside the Chiefs when Edwards retained Cunningham for his coaching staff last season. The belief was that these two men did not agree on how to play defense and had such differing personalities that they wouldn’t get along. Some in the NFL believed Edwards was forced to keep Cunningham by team management.

It was a classic case of the perception having nothing to do with the reality, as that Star reporter learned when he got an earful from Cunningham.

“We work very, very well together,” said Edwards. “Now that we’ve done it for a year, it’s almost scary how well we work together now. I can walk down the hall and walk up to him and say Gun, and before I can finish my sentence he’ll say ‘I already know what you are thinking.’

“I have a great respect for Gunther. Maybe some people don’t realize that when Gunther was hired here (1995), I was still here. I tried to hire Gunther in New York with the Jets (after the 2003 season) before he came back here to work for Dick (Vermeil.)”

But there’s more to this relationship than just defense and football. Despite their obvious differences, there is much shared between these men.

“First of all, as men our genetic background is almost the same,” said Cunningham. “We always kid each other, because people look at Herm as an African American and I’m obviously white. It makes me laugh because Herm always says Gun doesn’t know what he is. Herm knows who his father was; I don’t.

“Both of our mothers are Germans, so we share those traits, the stubbornness for one. Our hearts are the same. We are wired the same. And our attitudes about defense are the same.

“My respect for him as a head coach is monumental. I’ve told him many times he does the best job I’ve seen at addressing the coaching staff and the team. I’ve been around some great coaches, so that’s not just throwing a statement against the wall. There’s some meaning behind that. I think Herm does the best job I’ve ever seen at handling people.

“His relationship to me, I can’t begin to tell you how strong it is and how much we believe in each other.”

In some ways, Cunningham is Edwards’ alter ego. The head coach does not use four letter words, no matter how upset he may be. He’s very analytical about everything, including moments when he may seem to lose his emotions, which he very rarely does. Cunningham’s outbursts on the practice fields and meeting rooms are legendary. Edwards hasn’t asked him to stop. He knows part of Gunther’s genius is the passion he brings to every practice and film session.

“When I worked with Tony (Dungy, as his assistant head coach in Tampa Bay), you would never hear Tony on the practice field,” Edwards said. “It was always me. I was always the bearer of bad news, or the guy doing the yelling. Tony was always sitting there kind of whispering.

“I would never try to shut Gun up.”

Cunningham is happy to have a head coach who thinks the way he does.

“I remember being at Goucher College and being at practice when Herm was starting at right corner for the Eagles and I was coaching the defensive line for the Baltimore Colts,” Cunningham said of this training camp memory from the early 1980s. “The history between us goes back that far. I was flying to New York to possibly be the defensive coordinator there with the Jets and I would have been, but somehow, someway my family and Carl Peterson got in the way of that and I ended up back here.

“The good thing is we got the chance two years later to come back and work together when he came back.”

Coming on Friday: Edwards and Cunningham hope to re-introduce the big play into the Chiefs defense.

Pushead2
06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Too long for off-season, someone sum it up.

bobbything
06-06-2007, 09:26 AM
That's sweet. Adorable, rather. Makes me feel all warm and gooey inside.

el borracho
06-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Too long for off-season, someone sum it up.
Herm and Gun are like DeVito and Schwarzenneger in Twins.

Pushead2
06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Herm and Gun are like DeVito and Schwarzenneger in Twins.

Ahhhhh manly men.

Fish
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
The level of manlove in that article is more than slightly disturbing.....

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
:Lin:

ROYC75
06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Manlove ? Right up GoChiefs alley ...........

Reerun_KC
06-06-2007, 09:45 AM
:Lin:

U okay old man?

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 09:51 AM
U okay old man?

No.

I didn't need to hear about how much Herm and Gun love each other.

Reerun_KC
06-06-2007, 09:53 AM
No.

There was enough man love in that article it most like made GoChiefs blush when he posted it...

Deberg_1990
06-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Gretz doing what he does best: Spin....

Reerun_KC
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Okay so I was bored and thought this was a great love fest article I could spin...

So GoChiefs, I FYP....

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/0...y_of_herm__gun/

GRETZ: The Reality of Huard & Hootie
Jun 06, 2007, 8:54:05 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

It was early in the 2006 season and Damon Huard had just read a story in the Kansas City Star that indicated he and ChiefsPlanet favorite Hootie were at odds.

Huard was irate. The Backup QB sought out the author and in no uncertain terms relayed his thoughts about the piece.

“I was hot,” Huard said. “It had this stuff that Hootie and I weren’t on the same page because I wanted to run every play and he’s a pass the ball kind of guy. It was bull. It was so far from the truth. It was probably one of the worst and most incorrect things I read throughout my playing career”

Yes, but that was the perception of many outside the Chiefs when Hootie retained Huard for his roster last season. The belief was that these two men did not agree on how to play offense and had such differing personalities that they wouldn’t get along. Some in the NFL believed Hootie was forced to love Huard by team management.

It was a classic case of the perception having nothing to do with the reality, as that Star reporter learned when he got an earful from Huard.

“We work very, very well together,” said Hootie. “Now that we’ve done it for a year, it’s almost scary how well we work together now. I can walk down the hall and walk up to him and say Huard, and before I can finish my sentence he’ll say ‘I already know what you are thinking.’

“I have a great respect for Huard. Maybe some people don’t realize that when Huard was hired here (1995), I was still here. I tried to hire Huard in New York with the Jets (after the 2003 season) before he came back here to work for Dick (Vermeil.)”

But there’s more to this relationship than just defense and football. Despite their obvious differences, there is much shared between these men.

“First of all, as men our genetic background is almost the same,” said Huard. “We always kid each other, because people look at Hootie as an African American and I’m obviously white. It makes me laugh because Hootie always says Huard doesn’t know what he is. Hootie knows who his father was; I don’t.

“Both of our mothers are Germans, so we share those traits, the stubbornness for one. Our hearts are the same. We are wired the same. And our attitudes about defense are the same.

“My respect for him as is monumental. I’ve told him many times he does the best job I’ve seen at addressing the ChiefsPlanet members. I’ve been around some great posters, so that’s not just throwing a statement against the wall. There’s some meaning behind that. I think Hootie does the best job I’ve ever seen at handling people.

“His relationship to me, I can’t begin to tell you how strong it is and how much we believe in each other.”

In some ways, Huard is Hootie’ alter ego. The poster does not use four letter words, no matter how upset he may be. He’s very analytical about everything, including moments when he may seem to lose his emotions, which he very rarely does. Huard’s outbursts on the practice fields and meeting rooms are legendary. Hootie hasn’t asked him to stop. He knows part of Huard’s genius is the passion he brings to every practice and film session.

“When I worked with Tony (Dungy, as his assistant head coach in Tampa Bay), you would never hear Tony on the practice field,” Hootie said. “It was always me. I was always the bearer of bad news, or the guy doing the yelling. Tony was always sitting there kind of whispering.

“I would never try to shut Huard up.”

Huard is happy to have a poster who thinks the way he does.

“I remember being at Goucher College and being at practice when Hootie was starting posts for the Eagles and I was backing up Marino for the Dolphins,” Huard said of this training camp memory from the early 1990s. “The history between us goes back that far. I was flying to New York to possibly be the starting QB for Hootie and I would have been, but somehow, someway my family and Carl Peterson got in the way of that and I ended up back here.

“The good thing is we got the chance two years later to come back and work together when he came back.”

Coming on Friday: Hootie and Huard hope to re-introduce the big play into the ChiefsPlanet.

Coogs
06-06-2007, 10:20 AM
No.

I don't know where to find it, but I remember reading an article a 2 or 3 years ago about Gun and DV and their respect and loyalty and everything else for each other. Maybe not love for each other, but I think Gun may have even had tears in his eyes at one meeting with DV.

And then he threw DV under the Bus....

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
And then he threw DV under the Bus....

That's our Gunther...

bobbything
06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3dBIuP0SWs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g3dBIuP0SWs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

SNR
06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
BrokeNickelback Mountain

Mr. Laz
06-06-2007, 12:35 PM
great ..... means that Gunther is gonna be here for the next 5 years.

surely we can do better :shake:

Wile_E_Coyote
06-06-2007, 12:40 PM
so this is why Hicks no longer fits

Chiefnj
06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Ebony and ivory ...

Fruit Ninja
06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
articles not bad for an offseason man-love one. I have always liked Gun and how he approaches things. I like Herm as well. I still have a problem with his run the clock out with 15 to go in the first quarter though.

CoMoChief
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
We WILL have a top 10 defense this season.

Spicy McHaggis
06-06-2007, 03:09 PM
They finish each other's sentences. Cute. I can see them now in 25 years sitting together in their rockers at the old folks home waiting for Matlock to come on.