PDA

View Full Version : Does Terro work in killing ants?

Eric
06-06-2007, 01:54 PM
They are getting into the house.

How do you kill their nest?

DenverChief
06-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Anti-Freeze

shakesthecat
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes, it works.

chasedude
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes Terro works wonders!!!!

allen_kcCard
06-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I just used a Terro outdoor bait setup last week.

When I placed it there was a solid line of ants going up the side of my house and inside it in two different places. I placed one of them right in the path of the ants on the ground and in about two minutes there was a swarm of the little bastards surrounding spots on the side of it where some of the gel has spilled out....it looked like a clear circle outlined by a black circle around on each drop. For the other one I couldn't see a train of them in the grass, so I just put it right below them on the wall. I left for the weekend, and when I got back 2 days later there were only about 10 ants following the trail into the house, where there were probably 40 of them before, a couple more days I looked again and saw a couple of ants on the wall total.

I can only assume it wiped out the nest/nests, but I know I'll use more of the stuff the next time I can find a good path where they are coming in and out of the house.

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
It won't work to kill the Queen. They won't take it back to the nest with them.

Honestly, I'm not sure the poison part of it works anyway. They get stuck in it because it's like glue and they starve to death.

If you're interested in preventing them from entering the house, just get some triazinon and spread it around the foundation.

allen_kcCard
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure the poison part of it works anyway. They get stuck in it because it's like glue and they starve to death.

If you're interested in preventing them from entering the house, just get some triazinon and spread it around the foundation.

They took it back to the nest. I sat there and watched them surround the spots that spilled out and they sucked it up bit by bit and were easily leaving the "trap". Once the drops outside were totally gone there were lots of them going inside and others coming back out.

Simply Red
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Hmm, not sure Eric.

Try some on your cereal tomorrow...

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
They took it back to the nest. I sat there and watched them surround the spots that spilled out and they sucked it up bit by bit and were easily leaving the "trap". Once the drops outside were totally gone there were lots of them going inside and others coming back out.

Was it some kind of granules?

The only Terro I've ever seen is a viscous liquid, almost like honey, and it comes in a glass bottle.

El Jefe
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Man we have a freaking huge ant hill outside of our house about 15 yards away or so. Its the biggest ant hill I have ever seen in my life, and we are in the process of killing it.

Smed1065
06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Gel is the best method for ants to carry it back to the nest and queen ant. Most people do not know that most ants cannot eat solid food and it must be turned into a liquid before swallowing. The gel makes it easier to convert and carry back to the queen ant and colony.

There are exceptions and I doubt you have fire ants in Mo yet but if you do have fire ants, you want to make sure to distribute the treatment around the mounds and not in or on the mound because they just relocate when disturbed or threatened. By placing the treatment (preferably gel) around the mounds in small pieces, they will take it in the mound as a food source instead a threat.

NewChief
06-06-2007, 02:48 PM

The only Terro I've ever seen is a viscous liquid, almost like honey, and it comes in a glass bottle.

Your ants must be really clumsy. Ours have no problems slurping it up and taking it back to their nest. I usually put out a few drops on a piece of aluminum foil. They surround it, slurp it, then take it back. Within 24 hours, there's a noticeable decrease in ant numbers. Within 36, they're usually no more.

That being said, I have had a problem using the Terro Traps you can buy. The ants would fall into the water and drown, then the traps would no longer attract ants.

I've also had them get stuck in the liquid if the liquid sits out too long (3 days or so) before they get into it. All in all, you're right about putting the stuff around your foundation, though. That's the best way that I've seen.

allen_kcCard
06-06-2007, 02:48 PM

It was a clear liquid. It came in sealed container attached to a spike, when you place it you push the container down and twist it, where the foild sealing it is cut and the liquid runs down into a resevior. There are small holes on each side with a ramp up to the hole where the ants can get in.

When I first put it down I wasn't sure how it worked, so I pulled it up and tried to look in the side, finding quickly that the liquid would run out the side, this getting it all over my hand and on the side on one of the ramps. The liquid was apparently really sweet as my hand was quiet sticky where it spilled....the ants sure did take to it fast.

jidar
06-06-2007, 02:49 PM

this is completely false. Terro gets carried back to the colony, you usually don't even see any dead ants around because they die in the colony.
It works great.

allen_kcCard
06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=outdoor_ant_bait

NewChief
06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=outdoor_ant_bait

I haven't seen those. That's pretty cool. These are the traps I had problems with:
http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=liquid_ant_bait

I have had no problems with just using the liquid and placing it on aluminum foil, though. I do like the looks of that outdoor trap, though. Would be nice to get the ones outside as well, not just the ones that are already infesting my house.

Simply Red
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Lil ants never had a prayer.

Smed1065
06-06-2007, 03:23 PM
The bait that works best also changes based on weather conditions, time of year and type of ants.

I knew my bug training was good for something. I was trained by Orkin University, believe it or not. :)

htismaqe
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
this is completely false. Terro gets carried back to the colony, you usually don't even see any dead ants around because they die in the colony.
It works great.

Obviously, reading Allen and Newchief's responses, you're using something different than what I'm talking about.

The Terro I've used in the past NEVER got back to the Queen, because once an ant stepped in it, they couldn't ever get back out.