PDA

View Full Version : Quin Snyder Returns to the Basketball Sidelines

CoMoChief
06-06-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/139028.html

Quin Snyder returns to basketball
By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star

Quin Snyder’s exile from the game that brought him to Duke as a player and to Missouri as a 32-year-old rookie head coach, has ended. Snyder is returning to the sidelines.

“I’m excited to be back in the game,” Snyder said Tuesday in accepting the head coaching position for the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League.

Snyder replaces the late Dennis Johnson, who on Feb. 22 died of a heart attack at the age of 52.

“I have missed the chance to compete the past years,” Snyder said. “This is a great situation and a new challenge.”

Snyder guided Missouri to four straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including an Elite Eight run. But his final three years at Missouri were plagued by controversy, sparked by Ricky Clemons’ arrest and later admission of guilt over the choking of his girlfriend.

Inflammatory jailhouse tapes of Clemons talking to Carmento Floyd, the wife of then-MU systems president Elson Floyd, and with the wife of a former MU assistant athletic director, kept the controversy in the public eye. The NCAA investigated and placed MU on probation, accepting the school’s own scholarship sanctions.

Then, with his coaching record 42-42 at Mizzou over the last three seasons, Snyder abruptly resigned — contending he had been given an ultimatum by team broadcaster Gary Link at the direction of MU athletic director Mike Alden. On Feb. 11, 2006, Snyder quit, his MU record at 127-91. Alden later apologized for his handling of the situation.

Snyder was replaced the rest of the 2005-06 season by assistant coach Melvin Watkins, and permanently when MU hired Mike Anderson from UAB.

Snyder has been living in North Carolina since leaving Columbia, often attending Duke basketball games, where he played and coached under Mike Krzyzewski.

As part of the Toros’ confirmation statement of Snyder’s hiring, Krzyzewski said:

“I loved working with Quin as a player and as a coach. He had a passion to play and has a passion to teach. His work ethic, spirit, intelligence, charisma and leadership ability make him truly unique. I would want Quin on any team that I coach.”

This will be Snyder’s second pro coaching job. Snyder was a bench coach and scout for the Los Angeles Clippers under Larry Brown in 1992-93.

Ultra Peanut
06-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow. Tragedy just seems to follow the Toros around.

Sure-Oz
06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
If he wanted Quin as part of his staff then why didn't he hire him??

duncan_idaho
06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
The Toros are screwed... and soon, their girlfriends/wives will be, too.

gblowfish
06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I blame the crackers in the front office for this hire.

Maybe Ricky Clemons will get a real job now.

DMAC
06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Add one cocaine addict to Austin.

|Zach|
06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I think he could have had more success in Columbia if he would have stayed away from the hard stuff.

siberian khatru
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow. Tragedy just seems to follow the Toros around.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Saulbadguy
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I think he could have had more success in Columbia if he would have stayed away from the hard stuff.
He really didn't do that bad at Mizzou. 6 full seasons, 4 NCAA tournaments and 2 NIT Berths, including one Elite 8.

|Zach|
06-06-2007, 04:08 PM
He really didn't do that bad at Mizzou. 6 full seasons, 4 NCAA tournaments and 2 NIT Berths, including one Elite 8.
My comment still stands...

|Zach|
06-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Add one cocaine addict to Austin.
Yup, worst kept secret in Columbia.

DMAC
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Yup, worst kept secret in Columbia.He hid his secret about as good as a rock star would.