PDA

View Full Version : Iran caught "red-handed" sending weapons to Taliban

Cochise
06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
NATO officials say they have caught Iran red-handed, shipping heavy arms, C4 explosives and advanced roadside bombs to the Taliban for use against NATO forces, in what the officials say is a dramatic escalation of Iran's proxy war against the United States and Great Britain.

"It is inconceivable that it is anyone other than the Iranian government that's doing it," said former White House counterterrorism official Richard Clarke, an ABC News consultant.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates stopped short earlier this week of blaming Iran, saying the U.S. did not have evidence "of the involvement of the Iranian government in support of the Taliban."

But an analysis by a senior coalition official, obtained by the Blotter on ABCNews.com, concludes there is clear evidence of Iran's involvement.

"This is part of a considered policy," says the analysis, "rather than the result of low-level corruption and weapons smuggling."

Iran and the Taliban had been fierce enemies when the Taliban was in power in Afghanistan, and their apparent collaboration came as a surprise to some in the intelligence community.

"I think their goal is to make it very clear that Iran has the capability to make life worse for the United States on a variety of fronts," said Seth Jones of the Rand Institute, "even if they have to do some business with a group that has historically been their enemy."

The coalition analysis says munitions recovered in two Iranian convoys, on April 11 and May 3, had "clear indications that they originated in Iran. Some were identical to Iranian supplied goods previously discovered in Iraq."

The April convoy was tracked from Iran into Helmand province and led a fierce firefight that destroyed one vehicle, according to the official analysis. A second vehicle was reportedly found to contain small arms ammunition, mortar rounds and more than 650 pounds of C4 demolition charges.

A second convoy of two vehicles was spotted on May 3 and led to the capture of five occupants and the seizure of RPG-7mm rockets and more than 1,000 pounds of C4, the analysis says.

Also among the munitions are components for the lethal EFPs, or explosive formed projectiles, the roadside bombs that U.S. officials say Iran has provided to Iraqi insurgents with deadly results.

"These clearly have the hallmarks of the Iranian Revolution Guards' Quds force," said Jones.

The coalition diplomatic message says the demolition charges "contained the same fake U.S. markings found on explosives recovered from insurgents operating in the Baghdad area."

"We believe these intercepted munitions are part of a much bigger flow of support from Iran to the Taliban," the message says.

The Taliban receives larger supplies of weapons through profits from opium dealing, officials say, but the Iranian presence could be significant.

"It means the insurgency in Afghanistan is likely to be prolonged," said Jones. "It would be a much more potent force."

mikey23545
06-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Nukes are very cost-effective.

patteeu
06-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I wonder if there's an Iranian Ron Paul warning the Ayatollah's of blowback? Unfortunatly, he'd probably be laughed out of the room because I'm sure they realize they are dealing with a paper tiger.

BucEyedPea
06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
I wonder if there's an Iranian CIA counter-terrorism unit warning the Ayatollah's of blowback? Unfortunatly, he'd probably be laughed out of the room because I'm sure they realize they are dealing with a paper tiger.

FYP :D

BucEyedPea
06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
There is no link with that news report. I betcha' I can guess the source? Some NeoCon publication and written by Cheny's chief propagandist...Podhoretz to lay the groundwork for nuking a non-nuclear nation that is no threat to us and which Israel could wipe out overnight. LMAO!

I'm getting contrary facts about this.

No evidence Iran supplying Taliban-NATO general
05 Jun 2007 12:27:56 GMT
Source: Reuters

KABUL, June 5 (Reuters) - While Iranian mortar rounds and other weapons have been found on Afghan battlefields there is no evidence that Tehran is supplying weapons to the Taliban, the U.S. general who leads the NATO war effort in the country said on Tuesday.

General Dan McNeill, who took control of NATO forces in Afghanistan in February, also said in an interview with Reuters that some lower-level Taliban militants could be incorporated into Afghan politics, but he saw no hope for a peace pact with the leadership of the Afghan rebel forces.

On the state of battle with the Taliban, McNeill said: "We think we have the upper hand right now."

The commander of the NATO's 36,000-strong International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), McNeill said Iranian mortars were routinely found in Afghan weapons caches, but there was no evidence they were part of a Tehran-organised operation.

"There certainly are weapons or munitions of Iranian origin, but when you say weapons being provided by Iran that would suggest there is some more formal entity involved in getting those weapons here," he said at ISAF's heavily fortified main base in Kabul. "That's not my view at all."

Iranian mortar rounds arrive in Afghanistan from many countries, he said.
"I just have no information to support that there's anything formal in some arrangement out of Iran to provide weapons here."

McNeill expressed concern that a new and more powerful type of roadside bomb called an explosively formed projectile (EFP) had recently been found in Afghanistan.

But he said he had seen no sign of portable air defense systems -- anti-aircraft missiles -- in the hands of the Taliban that would significantly alter NATO and U.S. air superiority.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP321984.htm

Direckshun
06-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Do we really need evidence to know it's happening.

Honestly.

Does anybody seriously think Iran isn't funding our enemies?

BucEyedPea
06-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Honestly.

Our enemies? Iraqis?
I doubt they're funding alQaeda. Iran is Persian Shia' and they hate Sunnis.
Don't forget we've been inside Iran now conducting covert action and killing officials using proxies, including Mek a terror group. Our hands aren't clean.

6 Iron
06-06-2007, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=BucEyedPea]There is no link with that news report. I betcha' I can guess the source? Some NeoCon publication and written by Cheny's chief propagandist...Podhoretz to lay the groundwork for nuking a non-nuclear nation that is no threat to us and which Israel could wipe out overnight. LMAO!

Here is a link from abc news.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/06/document_iran_c.html

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 11:31 PM

Honestly.

So, the question becomes:

What should we do about it? :shrug:

Logical
06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
So, the question becomes:

What should we do about it? :shrug:

I would bet good money China and Russia are also supplying weapons and aid to our enemies, should we invade them? Bomb them? Put sanctions on them? Or are we just bullies to smaller countries?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I would bet good money China and Russia are also supplying weapons and aid to our enemies, should we invade them? Bomb them? Put sanctions on them? Or are we just bullies to smaller countries?

Why would Russia supply weapons to the enemies of their largest supplier of humanitarian aid, particularly when they've been fighting Islamists for the better part of the last thirty years?

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 11:45 PM

I asked the question, remember? I don't know the answer, exactly.

Sanctions. UN action of some sort or another would be a minimum, to start with though...I would think.

Logical
06-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Why would Russia supply weapons to the enemies of their largest supplier of humanitarian aid, particularly when they've been fighting Islamists for the better part of the last thirty years?

Because Russia is filled with what amounts to mobsters that have bought up stocks of all the Russian weapons and they are only in it for their own personal gain.

6 Iron
06-06-2007, 11:49 PM

I would have been more receptive to this argument prior to Putin's recent statements regarding redirecting missiles at Europe if a missile defense system is installed. The belief systems of the cold war still exist.

Logical
06-06-2007, 11:49 PM

Sanctions. UN action of some sort or another would be a minimum, to start with though...I would think.

I don't think we have the cajones to try and put sanctions on Russia or China. Especially China who is the major financer of the US debt.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Because Russia is filled with what amounts to mobsters that have bought up stocks of all the Russian weapons and they are only in it for their own personal gain.Then you help Putin hunt down and kill those bastards....eh? :)
I don't think we have the cajones to try and put sanctions on Russia or China. Especially China who is the major financer of the US debt.
If China wants that debt repaid in a timely fashion, they might reconsider....eh?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Because Russia is filled with what amounts to mobsters that have bought up stocks of all the Russian weapons and they are only in it for their own personal gain.

Ok, that's believable. It seemed as though the phrase was referring to the Russian state, which although feasible, would be completely illogical from an International Relations perspective..

Logical
06-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Then you help Putin hunt down and kill those bastards....eh? :)

Do you really think Putin would allow us to help?

If China wants that debt repaid in a timely fashion, they might reconsider....eh?

We would need to no longer to continue to have more debt, something I sort of doubt is going to happen unfortunately unless we raise taxes and have another .com boom.

Radar Chief
06-07-2007, 07:14 AM
[QUOTE=BucEyedPea]There is no link with that news report. I betcha' I can guess the source? Some NeoCon publication and written by Cheny's chief propagandist...Podhoretz to lay the groundwork for nuking a non-nuclear nation that is no threat to us and which Israel could wipe out overnight. LMAO!

Here is a link from abc news.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/06/document_iran_c.html

ABC News! Thatís exactly the kind of NeoCon Cheneyburton shill machine Iíve been screeching about!

;) ROFL

Frankie
06-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Except they hate the Taliban even more.

Frankie
06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Bingo.

Ultra Peanut
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
It's times like these when we as a nation leverage our credibility.

OHWAI

Donger
06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm confused. Are some of you people suggesting that we should not have attacked the Taliban?

Radar Chief
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
It's times like these when we as a nation leverage our credibility.

OHWAI

:spock: OHWAI?
Oh Hell, Where Am I? :shrug:

Sully
06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
:spock: OHWAI?
Oh Hell, Where Am I? :shrug:
OHWAI

On Hawaii, winter always impairs.

Radar Chief
06-07-2007, 12:16 PM
OHWAI

On Hawaii, winter always impairs.

:LOL: Out Helping Wyoming Attain Independence.

Sully
06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
:LOL: Out Helping Wyoming Attain Independence.
Only Hobos will act idiotic

Radar Chief
06-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Only Hobos will act idiotic

Obvious How We Are Isolated.

Sully
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Oblong hobnobbers write atypical intricacies.

Radar Chief
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Oblong hobnobbers write atypical intricacies.

Or, How White Am I?

Sully
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Oxycontin has writers accepting intruders...

I'm really stretching, here.

Radar Chief
06-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Oxycontin has writers accepting intruders...

I'm really stretching, here.

Thatís all right, Iím about tapped out too. ;)

One more though.
Olivia has what, ask I?

go bowe
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I would bet good money China and Russia are also supplying weapons and aid to our enemies, should we invade them? Bomb them? Put sanctions on them? Or are we just bullies to smaller countries? yikes!

that was brutal...

i've never heard it put that way before, but you definitely hit the barn with that shot...

of course you were inside the barn when you pulled the trigger...

at any rate, damned good point :hail: :hail: :hail:

Baby Lee
06-07-2007, 01:29 PM
O'Reilly hears words, asks interrogatories.

go bowe
06-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Sanctions. UN action of some sort or another would be a minimum, to start with though...I would think.well, that's an interesting idea...

surely sanctions against china and or russia will just sail through the security council...

of course both those nations hold veto power in the security council, which might make getting those sanctions just a little tougher than you think, old man... :p :p :p

go bowe
06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Then you help Putin hunt down and kill those bastards....eh? :)

If China wants that debt repaid in a timely fashion, they might reconsider....eh?heh, putin probably is one of those bastards himself...

and even you can't be serious about defaulting on our debt to the chinese...

even a temporary default would see the financial markets thrown into total confusion and chaos...

and there's all those other creditor nations that we owe money to...

and the disruption it would cause to the the global economy...

doesn't seem like a good plan somehow...

btw, why would putin want our help in hunting down his enemies?

after all, we still haven't been able to catch or kill that tall guy, what's-his-name...

or the one-eyed kook mullah omar...

or that old egyption doctor guy, we haven't hunted him down either...

saddammit being the exception to the rule...

Mr. Kotter
06-07-2007, 03:44 PM
well, that's an interesting idea...

surely sanctions against china and or russia will just sail through the security council...

of course both those nations hold veto power in the security council, which might make getting those sanctions just a little tougher than you think, old man... :p :p :p
See, you've just made the case...the UN is useless. Except when I make the case, I get wailed on about it. :shrug:

heh, putin probably is one of those bastards himself...

and even you can't be serious about defaulting on our debt to the chinese...

even a temporary default would see the financial markets thrown into total confusion and chaos...

and there's all those other creditor nations that we owe money to...

and the disruption it would cause to the the global economy...

doesn't seem like a good plan somehow...

btw, why would putin want our help in hunting down his enemies?

after all, we still haven't been able to catch or kill that tall guy, what's-his-name...

or the one-eyed kook mullah omar...

or that old egyption doctor guy, we haven't hunted him down either...

saddammit being the exception to the rule...

Putin is probably the lesser of those evils though. You do what you gotta do.

Delaying payment isn't necessarily defaulting. Seemed to work for FDR.

As for catching the scum Russian mafia types; I don't suspect they are hiding in caves in Pakistan. If they were to go there though, like Bin Laden....they'd be reduced to irrelevance too.