PDA

View Full Version : Applied for a new job

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
What would you do?

I applied to a new job Monday night and was wondering if I should call them about it or go to the company?

Phobia
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
What would you do?

I applied to a new job Monday night and was wondering if I should call them about it or go to the company?

What kind of job? I'm guessing you should wait - the ball is in their court now. But depending on the job, you may want to reach out first.

Buehler445
06-07-2007, 12:29 PM
These things typically take time. If you applied online, it would be appropriate to make sure that everything was recieved properly. If you filled out a paper application, I would wait til the first/middle of next week and politely call for a follow up.

Its hard to tell what companies will think of you calling. Some like it, some view you as impatient. Whatever you do, just be nice.

What type of job is it?

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 12:31 PM
What kind of job? I'm guessing you should wait - the ball is in their court now. But depending on the job, you may want to reach out first.

I applied to be a loader at Mathis Brothers here in OKC. I have today off so I was gonna call them or maybe just drive there. I also have next tuesday and wednesday off.

Phobia
06-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I applied to be a loader at Mathis Brothers here in OKC. I have today off so I was gonna call them or maybe just drive there. I also have next tuesday and wednesday off.

If they were advertising for loading help, you may walk in and ask to talk to the manager today. They might be impressed with a strapping young man who takes the initiative and is obviously interested in their job.

If they weren't advertising for help, I'd wait until at least next week.

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 12:39 PM
If they were advertising for loading help, you may walk in and ask to talk to the manager today. They might be impressed with a strapping young man who takes the initiative and is obviously interested in their job.

If they weren't advertising for help, I'd wait until at least next week.

Their website says they are highing warehouse material handlers at the one I applied to. I applied for a cashier job but only because I can't stand my job. I didn't even know they had cashiers at MB. So, you think I should drive there and talk to them? I really want this job and think I would enjoy it.

Phobia
06-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Dude, it's really a crapshoot. If they're desperate for help they may hire you on the spot. If they're busy and annoyed by the interruption you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

If it were me and I decided to go, I would make it clear that you don't want to disturb the manager if he or she is busy but that you are really interested in the job.

It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I'd hire somebody like you on the spot, but I'm probably an odd duck.

Overall, I'd say your chances of getting a job are better if you walk up and aren't some anonymous face in a stack of papers, but it is a little soon. If they're sticklers for procedures it may just piss them off. It's your call.

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Dude, it's really a crapshoot. If they're desperate for help they may hire you on the spot. If they're busy and annoyed by the interruption you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

If it were me and I decided to go, I would make it clear that you don't want to disturb the manager if he or she is busy but that you are really interested in the job.

It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I'd hire somebody like you on the spot, but I'm probably an odd duck.

Overall, I'd say your chances of getting a job are better if you walk up and aren't some anonymous face in a stack of papers, but it is a little soon. If they're sticklers for procedures it may just piss them off. It's your call.

Good advice, I think I will wait till my next day off on Tuesday. That way it will give them a week.

Mr. Plow
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
What would you do?

I'm still waiting for the offers to roll in (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164181)

Phobia
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Good advice, I think I will wait till my next day off on Tuesday. That way it will give them a week.
OTOH, maybe they hire somebody before next Tuesday. Like I said, crapshoot. You don't want to be a pushy broad but you don't want to lose the opportunity either. Where is the line for that company/individual?

Rain Man
06-07-2007, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine was hiring for a graphic designer position, and one of the job applicants sent a series of photos of her "being a cat". The photos included her jumping on a couch, sunning in a window, etc. You probably shouldn't do this, though, because he and his coworkers thought she was crazy and didn't hire her.

Try being a dog, maybe.

Rain Man
06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
As an employer, I get annoyed by someone showing up. I get annoyed if they call, too, but then I file that away as a sign that they're interested. Showing up just annoys me.

trndobrd
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
As an employer, I get annoyed by someone showing up. I get annoyed if they call, too, but then I file that away as a sign that they're interested. Showing up just annoys me.

Showing up unannounced with at the back door with a brown envelope full of $100 bills is still cool, right?

Phobia
06-07-2007, 01:09 PM

But you're a busy, policies and procedures oriented entrepreneur hiring professionals for well-paying jobs. You probably have hundreds of applicants for each position.

He's hiring on as a laborer for a low-paying job for which they're gonna hire the first able-bodied dude who doesn't look like a freak.

Demonpenz
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Walk in there with a 100 pound sack of feed above your head.

Rain Man
06-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Showing up unannounced with at the back door with a brown envelope full of $100 bills is still cool, right?

That's fine even if you're not looking for a job.

Rain Man
06-07-2007, 01:23 PM
But you're a busy, policies and procedures oriented entrepreneur hiring professionals for well-paying jobs. You probably have hundreds of applicants for each position.

He's hiring on as a laborer for a low-paying job for which they're gonna hire the first able-bodied dude who doesn't look like a freak.

This is a valid point, probably. If it's a type of job where people frequently quit without notice or people frequently get fired without notice, then showing up is probably not a bad thing.

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm applying to other jobs I'd like today also. I'm applying to car dealerships for a detailer. For some weird reason I get satisfaction out of cleaning cars.

I go to work at 2 tomorrow so I could swing by the place before going to work.

Mr. Plow
06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
A friend of mine was hiring for a graphic designer position, and one of the job applicants sent a series of photos of her "being a cat". The photos included her jumping on a couch, sunning in a window, etc. You probably shouldn't do this, though, because he and his coworkers thought she was crazy and didn't hire her.

Try being a dog, maybe.
ROFL

Or should I say.....MEOW!

http://aidsmyth.addr.com/images/actupsf/fatcatpat.jpg

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Walk in there with a 100 pound sack of feed above your head.

Since it's a furniture store should I also throw the feed into a nice place...I don't know...fungshui (sp?). Shows them I am talented.

greg63
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Best of luck bud! :)

Personally I think it's always a good thing to let a future prospective employer know that you're still interested in the position sought after. JMHO

Buehler445
06-07-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm applying to other jobs I'd like today also. I'm applying to car dealerships for a detailer. For some weird reason I get satisfaction out of cleaning cars.

This maybe off subject, but what would you charge for detailing a car? Mine needs it, and I dont have a shampooer or the right types of cleaning brushes to get it right. You maybe able to get some on the side work doing that.

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I can't find a site to do a free resume dammit.

StcChief
06-07-2007, 01:54 PM
I can't find a site to do a free resume dammit.
Does M$ Word have a wizard template for this stuff. Plenty of examples if you just google....

Demonpenz
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I could send you my template and you could just delete lion tamer and instert your background

Guru
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM

come on over and clean my cars then.