PDA

View Full Version : Moustakas quick profile.

Eric
06-07-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=moustakas
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070607&content_id=2011121&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Biographical Data

Player Name: Mike Moustakas
Position: Shortstop/Third baseman
School: Chatsworth HS, Chatsworth, Calif.
School Type: High school
Academic Class: Senior
Birthdate: 06/10/85
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195 lbs.
Bats: Left
Throws: Right
Report Date(s): 03/22/07
Game(s): Granada Hills
Scouting Video:

Focus Area

Comments
Hitting Ability: Moustakas can flat-out hit and has potential to hit for average and power.
Power: He's a left-handed hitter with serious power. He homered three times in this game.
Running Speed: Moustakas is a below-average runner.
Arm Strength: Moustakas has an above-average cannon for an arm.
Fielding: He plays shortstop for his high school team, with fellow draft prospect Matt Dominguez at third, but Moustakas profiles as a third baseman in the future. He's not bad around the bag at short currently.
Range: Moustakas has limited range, a reason why he'll probably move to third as a pro.
Physical Description: Moustakas, a one-time catcher, has cleaned up his body quite a bit and is more athletic than he's been in the past as a power-hitting lefty.
Medical Update: Healthy.
Strengths: His bat and his arm strength.
Weaknesses: His defensive range.
Summary: While Matt Dominguez gets most of the publicity at Chatsworth HS, Moustakas -- a former Team USA member -- has been just as hot. He made teams pay when they tried to pitch around Dominguez. Both have the chance to be special hitters.

Dunit35
06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Was he a 21 year old high school senior?

HolmeZz
06-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, that birth date can't be right.

HemiEd
06-07-2007, 01:42 PM
He wasn't even the best hitter on his HS team?

tyton75
06-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't like that profile.. reminds me of the old days where we draft purely for sign-ability

Eric
06-07-2007, 02:03 PM
I guess Dayton doesn't like the other hitting prospects down there

Hitting Ability: Moustakas can flat-out hit and has potential to hit for average and power.

Power: He's a left-handed hitter with serious power. He homered three times in this game.

HolmeZz
06-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I'd imagine a lot of soon-to-be 22 year olds could display good power playing against high schoolers.

Infidel Goat
06-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I've seen his birthday as 9.11.88 which means he'll turn 19 in September. Vitters, I believe, will be 18 at about the same time.

Demonpenz
06-07-2007, 02:09 PM
he looked slow as dog shit on the replays.

Infidel Goat
06-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Nice SI article on him:

SI LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dave_krider/04/03/Mike.Moustakas/index.html)

tomahawk kid
WTF?

'Hamas' Jenkins
No offense, guys, but this really seems like a poor pick.

HolmeZz
06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't like the pick either if I was a Royal fan.

htismaqe
06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't like that profile.. reminds me of the old days where we draft purely for sign-ability

Most of the top prospects were Boras guys.

A couple of the guys KC was eyeing wanted 8-10 million up front...

Infidel Goat
06-07-2007, 02:22 PM
I think that Moustakas is a Boras client.

He set both the single season and career home run records in California.

Hard to say it's a bad pick. Not like we just took the 50th best prospect at the two spot.

Of course, I'm still cursing the Royals for sweeping the Tigers at the end of last season. Had we lost any of those games, we'd have been the team picking David Price.

Chief Chief
06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I think it's an awesome pick! Moose (yep, I hereby claim to be the first Royals fan to dub him with that nickname which will resonate around the K everytime he homers) has played at catcher, 3rd base, shortstop, and left field so the Royals can possibly plug 'n' play him basically anywhere on the left side of the field or behind the plate. At least we have a solid power hitter to eventually replace Sweeney when we trade him in July to a playoff contender.

NOTE: The thread post describes his running speed as below average while SI has it at slightly above average.

HolmeZz
06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I think it's an awesome pick! Moose (yep, I hereby claim to be the first Royals fan to dub him with that nickname which will resonate around the K everytime he homers) has played at catcher, 3rd base, shortstop, and left field so the Royals can possibly plug 'n' play him basically anywhere on the left side of the field or behind the plate. At least we have a solid power hitter to eventually replace Sweeney when we trade him in July to a playoff contender.

NOTE: The thread post describes his running speed as below average while SI has it at slightly above average.

He's slow. Probably a 1st baseman. Not going to be replacing Gordon with him in the field.

tyton75
06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
The SI article makes me feel a little better about him...

Eric
06-07-2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/6/1/14749/53533

Thinking about Mike Moustakas

Baseball America's John Manuel told me on XM Radio this morning that Moustakas has really moved up on the draft boards and is ahead of Josh Vitters for some teams now. Like Vitters a California high school star, Moustakas has a much stronger arm and is a better athlete and potential defender than Vitters, although he lacks speed. Vitters has a bit more present power and plate discipline, but Moustakas is not raw and has plenty of pop himself. He also has the advantage of being a left-handed hitter. He's put up better statistical performance than Vitters this spring, but he's also been healthier, and high school stats are highly problematic in any event.

Personally I think I like Moustakas slightly better than Vitters myself, as I think he'll be easier to fit on the field defensively and should be a highly effective hitter. Signability is an issue given that he's a Boras guy and has a USC scholarship as leverage.

htismaqe
06-07-2007, 02:33 PM

Ouch.

Hope they're not looking at a protracted holdout.

Pitt Gorilla
06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
The guy also has a 94 mph fastball.

Eric

He set both the single season and career home run records in California.

Hard to say it's a bad pick. Not like we just took the 50th best prospect at the two spot.

Of course, I'm still cursing the Royals for sweeping the Tigers at the end of last season. Had we lost any of those games, we'd have been the team picking David Price.

Heard the first rotates between leagues-NL & AL. Not sure. Another junk Mlb rule if true.

HolmeZz
Heard the first rotates between leagues-NL & AL. Not sure. Another junk Mlb rule if true.

Tampa Bay selected 1st.

hawkchief
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
IMO, if we were going to deal with Boras, we should have taken the RH pitcher Porcello, that's being compared to Josh Beckett. You'd think the Royals would have learned after the past few decades that great pitching is a lot more valuable than Sweeney/Butler type players. Count me as very disappointed.

Valiant
06-07-2007, 02:38 PM
With his name he should be playing for the Twins...

tk13
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
They dropped that rule a couple years ago.

siberian khatru
06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
I wonder if he's gonna wind up at catcher.

duncan_idaho
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
IMO, if we were going to deal with Boras, we should have taken the RH pitcher Porcello, that's being compared to Josh Beckett. You'd think the Royals would have learned after the past few decades that great pitching is a lot more valuable than Sweeney/Butler type players. Count me as very disappointed.

Drafting high school players always is risky... but hitters are a slightly better bet than pitchers (remember Colt Griffin). With the way this draft broke down, all of the top high school hitters were better options than any of the college pitchers or hitters (even Wieters).

I like this pick more than reaching for someone like Detwiler.

tyton75
06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
As of now at the 18th pick.. Porcello still hasn't been picked

shakesthecat
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
The more I read about this kid, the more I like him.

Mecca
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Drafting high school players always is risky... but hitters are a slightly better bet than pitchers (remember Colt Griffin). With the way this draft broke down, all of the top high school hitters were better options than any of the college pitchers or hitters (even Wieters).

I like this pick more than reaching for someone like Detwiler.

It comes down to being smart......the year the Royals took Grienke 5 high school pitchers went in the first after him......I believe they're all in the majors and better than him....

One of them is Cole Hamels, so that shows you what the Royals were doing.

duncan_idaho
06-07-2007, 03:14 PM
It comes down to being smart......the year the Royals took Grienke 5 high school pitchers went in the first after him......I believe they're all in the majors and better than him....

Most high school pitchers that flop do so because of lack of development or injury... Greinke is a rare case - a head case.

There's no doubt he has the physical skill to be a very good big-league pitcher. It's a matter of his mental toughness, etc. Greinke was just as good in his first year as Hamels has been (albeit with lower K totals) in his first full season, if not better.

That class also was praised as the best high school pitching class in the history of the draft, if I'm remembering correctly.

I juts saw a Baseball America breakdown of draft pick success rates - high school pitchers were the lowest, following high school hitters, college pitchers, and college hitters.

Ebolapox
06-07-2007, 03:15 PM

it's funny--we tend to call the nfl draft a crapshoot, but it's NOTHING compared to the MLB draft--

how about this fun fact: albert pujols went in the THIRTEENTH ROUND in 1999... you think there are 401 players better than him in that draft? how come he didn't go first overall?? oh wait--IT'S A F*CKING CRAPSHOOT

mike piazza--possibly the best hitting catcher of alltime... what round? round 62 of the 1988 draft--the last player the dodgers drafted in that year, and then basically ONLY AS A FAVOR OF TOMMY LASORDA

you can't just sit here and say 'the royals should've known better'--f*ck, if the CHIEFS knew better, they'd have a guy starting at QB named tom brady

we can play pretend games all day, but when it's all said and done, none of us has ANY f*cking clue how good these guys will be

Mecca
06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I agree what you said which is why I'm faulting the Royals........they should have atleast been able to figure out Grienke had some issues......

If you get players later like that, that's great but when you are picking top 10 you shouldn't blow your pick.....Minnesota has hit on numerous 1st rounders that's how they got back....mix some good trades in there and you have it.

Anymore most of the good players that go later are guys that were considered unlikely to sign that got picked in like the 8th round by a team with money that says "we'll give you this to sign" and the guy changes his mind.

The Angels got Brandon Wood like that.

siberian khatru
06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree what you said which is why I'm faulting the Royals........they should have atleast been able to figure out Grienke had some issues......

Glass was too cheap to buy the crystal balls that every other team uses.

Ebolapox
06-07-2007, 03:22 PM
that's just what I was saying though. baseball players tend to go bust much more than players in the nfl do-- you can HAVE a top ten pick, but who's to say he'll ever be worth a damn when 90% of players picked never amount to jack squat?

Mecca
06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Glass was too cheap to buy the crystal balls that every other team uses.

Taking 5 minutes to talk to the guy could have told you he was a little weird........

HemiEd
06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
The only thing that is a lock, which side Mecca is going to take. ROFL

duncan_idaho
06-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Mecca,

Everything I saw about Greinke before that draft complimented his mental makeup and counted that as one of his pluses (mature approach - understands how to pitch, etc).

And how do you look at a 17 or 18-year-old and predict how they'll handle big money/expectations/etc?

I'll try to find a link for you...

Sully
06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
So, what's the downside to Wieters?

HolmeZz
06-07-2007, 03:35 PM

His signability.

duncan_idaho
06-07-2007, 03:45 PM

Some sources think Vitters and Moustakas have better upside as hitters, and Wieters' height makes him a tough fit at catcher (tall catchers struggle to release throws quickly enough to catch base stealers, and their height makes it tough for umps to call low strikes).

The money he's asking for could be a factor, too...

Valiant
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
it's funny--we tend to call the nfl draft a crapshoot, but it's NOTHING compared to the MLB draft--

how about this fun fact: albert pujols went in the THIRTEENTH ROUND in 1999... you think there are 401 players better than him in that draft? how come he didn't go first overall?? oh wait--IT'S A F*CKING CRAPSHOOT

mike piazza--possibly the best hitting catcher of alltime... what round? round 62 of the 1988 draft--the last player the dodgers drafted in that year, and then basically ONLY AS A FAVOR OF TOMMY LASORDA

you can't just sit here and say 'the royals should've known better'--f*ck, if the CHIEFS knew better, they'd have a guy starting at QB named tom brady

we can play pretend games all day, but when it's all said and done, none of us has ANY f*cking clue how good these guys will be

Pujols wasn't even the best player at the time at Maple Woods when he was selected.. And the only reason why Fort Osage won with him was the pitching...

That said the draft is a crapshoot, just get tired when people act like he got passed up... He was an above average baseball player in college like 100's of others...

Ebolapox
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Pujols wasn't even the best player at the time at Maple Woods when he was selected.. And the only reason why Fort Osage won with him was the pitching...

That said the draft is a crapshoot, just get tired when people act like he got passed up... He was an above average baseball player in college like 100's of others...

that's JUST the point I was making... guys come from out of nowhere and make all the 'paid professionals' look like total idiots

my point was it's worthless to decry who is picked in the MLB draft because it's even worse than a crapshoot: I'm almost totally convinced that a group of chimpanzees throwing darts at a dartboard would be more successful in the long run than a team that spends time and money scouting

KevB
06-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Boras told anyone who would listen that he's asking for 8-10 million and a major league contract, when recommended slot at #2 is $3.1M.

cookster50
06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
At least we have a solid power hitter to eventually replace Sweeney when we trade him in July to a playoff contender.

Dude, the kid isn't even old enough to wipe his own arse, he isn't playing in the bigs this year, next year, or probably not even the year after that.

KcMizzou
06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
that's JUST the point I was making... guys come from out of nowhere and make all the 'paid professionals' look like total idiots

my point was it's worthless to decry who is picked in the MLB draft because it's even worse than a crapshoot: I'm almost totally convinced that a group of chimpanzees throwing darts at a dartboard would be more successful in the long run than a team that spends time and money scoutingSomeone threw out an interesting stat on 810 today. They said only 60% of first round picks ever see the big leagues at all. I'd be curious what percentage actually make it there for good.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Someone threw out an interesting stat on 810 today. They said only 60% of first round picks ever see the big leagues at all. I'd be curious what percentage actually make it there for good.

Yeah, the draft in baseball is much much more of an art than a science. That's why teams who pick player types rather than specimens often tend to do better.

Eric
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070607&content_id=2011121&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Infidel Goat
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM

From that article:

At 6 feet, 195 pounds, Moustakas (pronounced Moo-STOCK-is), played shortstop this past spring, a position at which the Royals believe he can stay.

If he can really stick at SS then I would love this pick.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
08-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Royals fans, I'm sorry for all the bad posts

Mike Moustakas

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/minorleaguebeat/MLNSpringTraining369.jpg

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
08-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Danny Duffy

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/minorleaguebeat/MLNSpringTraining364.jpg