PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs in pursuit for DE Brown

Short Leash Hootie
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
The Seahawks, Chiefs, Titans have shown interest in disgruntled Bears defensive end Alex Brown, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.
Kansas City is looking for a potential replacement for Jared Allen, who will miss the first four games of the season due to suspension. Tennessee has serious issues across from Kyle Vanden Bosch and would seem to be an excellent fit. The Bears are believed to be asking for a second-round pick

pr_capone
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
G'bye Jared Allen. It was nice having you around for a while.... go booze up somewhere else.

OnTheWarpath58
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I'd be interested, but not for a R2.

noa
06-07-2007, 07:41 PM
46 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 forced fumbles last season if anyone wanted to know his recent stats. This will be his 6th season in the NFL

KcMizzou
06-07-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't know much about the guy, to be honest. How good is he?

Edit: Thanks noa. A second sounds high, considering that stat line. I don't know though... never seen him play.

Easy 6
06-07-2007, 07:44 PM
46 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 INTs, 3 forced fumbles last season if anyone wanted to know his recent stats. This will be his 6th season in the NFL

Solid.

He also conceivably has 5 more productive years, i could dig it.

KcMizzou
06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Also, why's he "disgruntled"? Money?

chagrin
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Looking at his last 4 years of stats, they are pretty steady with 5,6,6,7, sacks a year with 40-50 tackles. I think KC would be doing a good thing by putting out more than just a feeler on this one. I know I am in the minority on this but I am not a big fan of that backup DE we drafted with #2, Alex has actual playing time and isn't overly fat and old.

Mile High Mania
06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Allen is in a contract year, right? I haven't compared the two (age, stats, etc)... but, if Brown is a more model citizen with equal talent and upside... it probably would be wise to go get him, pay him and then let Allen walk or try to trade him.

bdeg
06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd rather see Jared stay clean and get a nice, long contract.

Keep in mind he got those stats playing next to Tommie Harris.

However, a 2nd seems fair.

Cochise
06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
If he's got enough sense to call a cab let's do it.

Coach
06-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Also, why's he "disgruntled"? Money?

More likely. Plus the Bears are known as "cheap" as well.

SNR
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
That's cool if the Bears want a 2nd rounder. We'll offer them a 6th rounder and in a couple months, right before the season starts, we'll acquire him for a 5th/conditional 4th.

ct
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
That's cool if the Bears want a 2nd rounder. We'll offer them a 6th rounder and in a couple months, right before the season starts, we'll acquire him for a 5th/conditional 4th.

I was thinkin the very same thing! :thumb:

beer bacon
06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Brown is also probably going to lose his starting job to Anderson.

I am in favor of pursuing Anderson, but not for a 2nd rounder. He is a solid pass rusher, and he is a consistant, active all around good player. He doesn't really have the potential of JA, but he is definitely a good cover 2 DE.

I would personally love it if we:

1) Signed LJ to a new contract.
2) Traded a 3rd or 4th for Brown.
3) Moved Turk to DT.
4) Franchise/trade Allen after this season.

Woodrow Call
06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
From rotoworld thought I'd throw this in here.....

In addition to the Titans, free agent CB Kelly Herndon has visited with the Chiefs, Lions, and is expected to visit the Giants in the coming days.

Herndon would be a good fit as a nickel back somewhere. The Jints, Chiefs, and Titans are also likely looking at Georgia CB Paul Oliver, says ESPN's John Clayton. Buffalo also interest in the supplemental pick to be.

Easy 6
06-07-2007, 08:16 PM
From rotoworld thought I'd throw this in here.....

In addition to the Titans, free agent CB Kelly Herndon has visited with the Chiefs, Lions, and is expected to visit the Giants in the coming days.

Herndon would be a good fit as a nickel back somewhere. The Jints, Chiefs, and Titans are also likely looking at Georgia CB Paul Oliver, says ESPN's John Clayton. Buffalo also interest in the supplemental pick to be.

I'm all for Herndon, we GOTTA have another CB back there. If Law or Surtain go down, its Slim Pickens in a 10 gallon hat.

bdeg
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Brown is also probably going to lose his starting job to Anderson.

I am in favor of pursuing Anderson, but not for a 2nd rounder. He is a solid pass rusher, and he is a consistant, active all around good player. He doesn't really have the potential of JA, but he is definitely a good cover 2 DE.

I really don't think Anderson will start. His stats may look impressive but he is a situational pass rusher. He would get abused in the run game.

Chiefnj2
06-07-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't quite understand the average Chief fan. Allen and Green mention the possibility of trades and fans turn on them. They become greedy SOB traitors.

Brown (who statistically isn't as good as Allen) and has THREE entire years left on his contract is seeking a trade and people want to acquire him with open arms? He doesn't sound like a guy that will remain happy, but will look for another contract every two years.

The Chiefs have a better DE that they developed on their own. Spend the money on him.

noa
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't quite understand the average Chief fan. Allen and Green mention the possibility of trades and fans turn on them. They become greedy SOB traitors.

Brown (who statistically isn't as good as Allen) and has THREE entire years left on his contract is seeking a trade and people want to acquire him with open arms? He doesn't sound like a guy that will remain happy, but will look for another contract every two years.

The Chiefs have a better DE that they developed on their own. Spend the money on him.

Its not the Chiefs fans that turned on Allen. He said he wants to be out of KC after this season. I think he's cooled down now, but that was all on him. We only reacted to his demand to leave. And now, since we know its a possibility, we have to consider other options like this guy.

As for Green, I don't think anyone accused him of being greedy. If he was greedy, he would have stayed on the KC sideline and made his $7 million.

pikesome
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM

And then he gets pulled over drunk, again, and we lose him for a whole year. That's not a minor concern. And it doesn't go away, if he gets a DUI 2 years down the road he's getting a season of couch time. That might have a bit to do with the lack of enthusiasm for keeping Allen.

DaKCMan AP
06-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Alex Brown is a very good DE (not to mention a Gator) :D

ChiefsCountry
06-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Kelly Herndon would be a great pickup for our nickel corner.

the Talking Can
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
**** that, we're rebuilding...why give away a 2nd?

please god no

milkman
06-07-2007, 09:13 PM

please god no

:clap:

boogblaster
06-07-2007, 09:14 PM
If Brown can be had get him..looks like we're building D to stay close in games...As far as Allen goes,5 years ago drinking some booze didn't matter in the NFL...

Mr. Laz
06-07-2007, 09:18 PM
won't going after Brown be contrary to our current rebuilding mode?

the Talking Can
06-07-2007, 09:22 PM
won't going after Brown be contrary to our current rebuilding mode?

REPOST

ROFL

Dicky McElephant
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I wanna see if Turk can hold his own at DE before we go trading for Brown. Especially because I've heard that when Tommie Harris was out....Brown disappeared.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
We'd be an idiot to trade a 2nd rounder for Brown. Just re-sign Allen.

Silock
06-07-2007, 09:52 PM

please god no

go bowe
06-07-2007, 10:36 PM
i really don't get what herm is trying to do here...

he's traded one of the best return guys in the game, gotten rid of a pro bowl qb, and in general (think game plan) f#cked up things on the offensive side of the ball...

he'd better be right about croyle or we're in for a long disappointing season of hermball (run run pass punt, then repeat no matter what the game situation is or whether they're putting 9 men in the box to stop larry or whatnot)...

our first round pick is basically another offensive lineman masquerading as a wr...

it looked like herm was really thinking about the running game 1st when he selected bowe...

the guy was known as a premier blocker and it so happens that he's also a pretty decent wr...

for herm it's all about the running game...

dammit carl!

HemiEd
06-07-2007, 11:01 PM
More likely. Plus the Bears are known as "cheap" as well.

The Bears owners depend on the team for income, so I am told. They are cheap except for John Tait.

Mecca
06-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Alex Brown is 27 he's not exactly an old aging player.....

I don't think McBride's future is at DE, not in a cover 2 he is far to big for that. The Chiefs may say that but he's a DT in this defense.

You can never have to many good Dlineman anyway seeing as they rotate and all play.

ChiefsCountry
06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Can you imagine on passing downs - Allen, McBride, slide Hali to tackle, and Brown.

OctoberFart
06-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Carl needs to sign LJ to 80 mil. Give Allen his money and trade and sign Brown to a big extension.

Ebolapox
06-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Carl needs to sign LJ to 80 mil. Give Allen his money and trade and sign Brown to a big extension.

al davis needs to... just be al davis ROFL

58-4ever
06-08-2007, 03:28 AM
He had a real good interior line.

chagrin
06-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Alex Brown is a very good DE (not to mention a Gator) :D

Very insightful analysis

chagrin
06-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Can you imagine on passing downs - Allen, McBride, slide Hali to tackle, and Brown.

Why on Earth would you want Tamba Hali to be a DT?

Pushead2
06-08-2007, 07:22 AM

Agreed, I think the Chiefs are fine. I would like to see them experiment with a 3 -4 / find a 4 -3 combo that will work for us for the games Allen is gone.

Bwana
06-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Decent backup, but for a 2nd...............Um, No.

Warrior5
06-08-2007, 07:36 AM

Exactly.

Warrior5
06-08-2007, 07:38 AM

This term cracks me up. Mind if I borrow it?

Splat420
06-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Brown is a solid player but not as good as the players around him make him look.

htismaqe
06-08-2007, 09:06 AM
We better not be giving up picks for ANYBODY.

We don't need Brown.

Let the situation with Allen play out. If he decides he can accept a long-term contract with provisions that protect the Chiefs in the event he has a relapse, then he should be a Chief for life.

If not, we address his eventual absence in the draft.

Direckshun
06-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Wesley's gotta be on the block, baby.

Wesley for Brown with a pick swap? Who knows.

ChiefsCountry
06-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Just for passing situations, better pass rush than our DT's.

StcChief
06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Wesley's gotta be on the block, baby.

Wesley for Brown with a pick swap? Who knows.
Yeah that works. Wesley might help their young secondary :rolleyes:

CupidStunt
06-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Because he could effectively rush the passer from that position from time to time?

crazycoffey
06-08-2007, 01:22 PM
for a steal, maybe. But my gut vote is for a big resounding "NO"

Groves
06-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Wait til dinner, dent his door and kick him in the balls. If he can take it, sign him.

CoMoChief
06-08-2007, 01:36 PM
To give up a 2nd rd pick that is wanting a butt load of money doesn't make much sense to me.

Jared Allen is better than Alex Brown and he's younger. We're gonna sign him next season to a long term deal. With incentives I'm sure.

Garcia Bronco
06-08-2007, 02:07 PM
A second for Alex Brown would be a steal.

Warrior5
06-08-2007, 02:14 PM
A second for Alex Brown would be a steal.

I'm surprised he's not wearing orange and blue already.

InChiefsHell
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
This is a non-issue. Unless we get this guy for chump change, there is no way I'd be down with losing a pick...except maybe a late 2nd day pick for him. Jared will be a Chief for a long time. I'll wager he's done being a fug-up after this fiasco. He'll be a Chief for years to come, and should be. How often do we actually develop talent on this team? You don't get rid of guys you developed who are as good as Allen is. And he's way better than Brown anyway.

Hoover
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Allen and Hali are younger, better, and players we should build around.

ChiefsCountry
06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Peterson is using this as leverage against Allen IMO. Basically telling him to get his act together or we arent afraid to go get another DE.

macdawg
06-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Brown is not nearly as talented as Allen IMO. Brown has a lot of help with the talent surrounding him on that Bears defense, and he is definitely a good player, but Jared Allen surrounded by Sims, Hicks, and Browning can still tear it up.

"i really don't get what herm is trying to do here..."

get younger & revamp a team that can't win in the playoffs, we can't get any worse here......winning records don't matter if your one and out, either your a top tier team or your rebuilding, he's rebuilding.

"he's traded one of the best return guys in the game"

Dante WAS one of the best return guys in the game, he's consistently too gunshy and dances too much, which means he consistently has poor returns and isn't the threat he used to be. I think also him just being so small its easier to force fumbles on him. Sometimes I fear for his life when he takes returns, I know I'd rather just have a 190-215 pound player with speed just take the ball, sprint upfield and try to find a seam, we'll consistently get better field position, which I'm sure is what Herm's thinking.

"gotten rid of a pro bowl qb, and in general (think game plan) f#cked up things on the offensive side of the ball..."

Notice how long Trent lasted against the Bengals? Its not Herms fault that Roaf and Shields have retired and we have little talent at WR. Trent is older and lost his edge, and is a lost cause by now. Huard played better than Green, and this is a 'what have you done for me lately' league.....we also need to know if Croyle has skills or if we need another project QB. Herm has definitely made our offense too run heavy, but he's keeping games close for a team that honestly seems to lack talent (compare our roster to Indy's or Denvers or Pats for example). O-line should improve next year and I think Herm knows he'll have to open up more.

"he'd better be right about croyle or we're in for a long disappointing season of hermball"

Still have Huard who threw 11td's & 1 int in 8 starts last year, if he played like that and we can get a couple guys to emerge into monsters I like our team a lot.

"our first round pick is basically another offensive lineman masquerading as a wr..."

his blocking skills will help, putting that aside, judging by his size & speed and college career, he will be a good not great receiving threat also. Its also a position we desperately need youth and depth IMO.

Buehler445
06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Peterson is using this as leverage against Allen IMO. Basically telling him to get his act together or we arent afraid to go get another DE.

I never thought of that. That is a good idea. But do you think Allen will really take notice?

ChiefsCountry
06-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I never thought of that. That is a good idea. But do you think Allen will really take notice?

I would think so.

Buehler445
06-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I would think so.

I know I would take notice, but this stuff goes on a lot, and I'm not sure how much players let this stuff get to them.

Short Leash Hootie
06-08-2007, 04:11 PM
The Bears are only seeking a third- or fourth-round pick in exchange for disgruntled DE Alex Brown, according to ESPN's Len Pasquarelli.
However, a deal may hinge on suitors reaching a sign-and-trade agreement with Brown, who wants more money. Chicago has the depth to move Brown, and the Titans and Chiefs are considered the early favorites to get him.

Mecca
06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Ok, I'd take him for a 4th in a heartbeat.....we need another end with or without Allen and this guy would be better than any DE we took in the 4th round.

InChiefsHell
06-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Ok, I'd take him for a 4th in a heartbeat.....we need another end with or without Allen and this guy would be better than any DE we took in the 4th round.

I'd be leery even of a 4th, but it's way better than a day 1 pick. If Green's pick pans out, we'd still have another 4th. I'd feel better about a 5th though.

The Bad Guy
06-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I'd be leery even of a 4th, but it's way better than a day 1 pick. If Green's pick pans out, we'd still have another 4th. I'd feel better about a 5th though.

Yeah, teams turn over young, solid DEs for a 5th rounder.

We got Dante Hall for a 5th rounder.

Some of you need some perspective on the NFL.

htismaqe
06-08-2007, 09:10 PM

Yeah, I was dead-set against it this morning when it was a 2nd.

But if they're willing to part for a 4th, I'd probably do it.

OctoberFart
06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
a 4th for him would be a good deal. He is a solid player but not a star.

FAX
06-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd rather see Jared stay clean and get a nice, long contract ...

I agree with this view, Mr. bdeg. 100%.

Of course, I also agree with those who believe that Latvians celebrate Donger Day by tying gopher feet to their earlobes and dancing nude until 2:00 am at which time they each eat a heaping bowl of elbow macaroni and seasonal fruit.

FAX

KcMizzou
06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Of course, I also agree with those who believe that Latvians celebrate Donger Day by tying gopher feet to their earlobes and dancing nude until 2:00 am at which time they each eat a heaping bowl of elbow macaroni and seasonal fruit.

FAXNow that's a party.