PDA

View Full Version : Never would have guessed Kennison would turn out to be one of our classiest players

PunkinDrublic
06-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Kennison teaches by ‘book’
Chiefs receiver has unwritten manual he uses to help mentor rookie Bowe during his first year in the NFL.
By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

Not only are Eddie Kennison (left) and Dwayne Bowe Chiefs receivers, but they both also played for LSU. He’s not willing to fork over his starting job, but Chiefs receiver Eddie Kennison said he’ll be more than happy to give rookie Dwayne Bowe “The Handbook.”

Oops. Excuse us: “The Eddie Kennison Handbook.”

“I’m rolling out the red carpet for him,” said Kennison, a 12th-year pro. “Everything I know, I will teach him. I have nothing to hold back. I want this organization to win championships, and we can’t win championships if I’m a selfish person.

“That’s why I’m willing to give him the Eddie Kennison handbook.”

No one knows what that manual contains — or if it even exists. Either way, Kennison’s willingness to mentor Bowe hardly comes as a surprise.

Both players catapulted into the NFL after standout careers at LSU.

Bowe, the 23rd overall pick in the 2007 draft, heard all about Kennison during his days as a Tiger. Kennison, who has an LSU decal on his front license plate, admired Bowe’s game from afar the last four seasons.

Bowe said he bumped into Kennison in the Chiefs’ locker room during a visit to Kansas City a few weeks before the draft.

“He just said, ‘I hope we get you. I hope I see you around,’ ” said Bowe, who is nearly 12 years younger than Kennison. “I’m glad it worked out the way it did.”

Bowe’s inaugural month as a Chief has been filled with both good and bad moments. He showed up late for the team’s first rookie workout and then caught a case of the drops.

Eventually, though, Bowe began returning to his college form. Talk even surfaced that he could challenge for Kennison’s starting job.

“The only person who can push me out of a starting job is me,” Kenninson said. “But he’s been doing well, and I don’t see him slowing down.”

Maybe not, but Bowe encountered a speed bump late last month when he received a gut-wrenching phone call regarding a former LSU teammate.

Marquise Hill, who had moved on to a career with the NFL’s New England Patriots, died in a jet-skiing accident last month in Louisiana. Bowe left town to attend Hill’s funeral — a decision the Chiefs encouraged — and missed two days of minicamp.

“If I wouldn’t have gone, I would’ve regretted it down the road,” Bowe said. “I think I made the right decision. It was rough. It was sad. It’s something you have to learn from and move on.

“Seeing something happen to someone close like that makes you realize you’ve got to go out there and go full speed every play and make it all worthwhile. You never know when your last day is coming.”

Kennison hopes that mature approach sticks with Bowe throughout his career. Kennison realizes people are beginning to form a negative stereotype about NFL players because of a handful of off-field incidents that seem to increase each season.

Reaching to rookies such as Bowe can make a difference, Kennison said.

“All the DUIs,” Kennison said, “all the domestic-violence charges … they’re happening because guys just don’t know. They haven’t been taught. If you can catch a young guy early enough to teach him how to do the right things all the time, then the chances of the NFL (keeping) a negative (image) are slim.”

Bowe said he appreciates any advice Kennison gives him. And as for The Handbook? Well, Bowe said he’s looking forward to that, too.

“He’s still writing in it, I guess,” Bowe said. “He’s been slacking off. I’d better get on him about that. I need that book so I can be ready to go.”

Reerun_KC
06-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Awe that was so sweet... it has a lot of :hump: in that article..

This is football, what the f*ck with this pathetic feel good stories... You better catch the freaking ball and score touchdowns.. I can give a crap a bout how you and EK are :hump: each other...

Chiefnj
06-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Chapter 6: Dropping 3rd down balls in the postseason.

Buehler445
06-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Good work Eddie. Hopefully you can make a difference.

Splat420
06-08-2007, 07:38 AM
I don't care what any one says I'm a big Eddie Kennison fan he might not be a true #1 WR but a solid #2. He is also a class act off the field and a team player I can't believe how so many Chiefs fans don't like him. You can't blame him for the Chiefs not ever getting him help on the other side in till now.

blueballs
06-08-2007, 07:39 AM
chapter #1
how to make Bailey your bitch

Mile High Mania
06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah, Bowe needs to learn from an under achieving former R1 pick...

PunkinDrublic
06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't care what any one says I'm a big Eddie Kennison fan he might not be a true #1 WR but a solid #2. He is also a class act off the field and a team player I can't believe how so many Chiefs fans don't like him. You can't blame him for the Chiefs not ever getting him help on the other side in till now.

No kidding, yeah Eddie dropped his share of passes on 3rd down but he put up a lot of huge numbers for us. I think he's a good mentor for Bowe to have. Plus he screwed over the donks and drew the ire of their fans you gotta love that.

Direckshun
06-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Awe that was so sweet... it has a lot of :hump: in that article..

This is football, what the f*ck with this pathetic feel good stories... You better catch the freaking ball and score touchdowns.. I can give a crap a bout how you and EK are :hump: each other...
EMOTIONS BAD

Mile High Mania
06-08-2007, 07:43 AM
And, no... I'm no longer bitter at the dude by any means... I just got a chuckle from the article.

Reerun_KC
06-08-2007, 07:45 AM
EMOTIONS BAD

? Not following... ?

Question is, can he catch and score?

PunkinDrublic
06-08-2007, 07:46 AM

What are you talking about we never picked up Ashley Lelie :p

Mile High Mania
06-08-2007, 07:57 AM
What are you talking about we never picked up Ashley Lelie :p

Give it time...

the Talking Can
06-08-2007, 07:58 AM
considering what Kennison cost us - nothing - he's been a very good player...

NewChief
06-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Eddie has been nothing but a stand up, class guy throughout his time in KC. Even when he wasn't happy with his contract and wanted to get more dough, it never really became public and created a big stink. I know that he's an "underachiever" for a Rnd1 pick, but he's been a solid contributor on and off the field for KC.

Jordan
06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Saw Kennison on the Plaza. He was a very nice guy....very outgoing to us "normal people".

However, he was wearing a murse (man-purse), and it was (in some way) connected to his shirt like he bought the 2 together....kinda :hump: like was previously inplied, if you ask me.

Nice guy, though. Offered my girl a ride up the hill while she was waiting for me. Wasn't scared he'd steal her though after I saw the murse...she was more worried he'd try to take ME home.

Cave Johnson
06-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Yet again, CP appears to have made the right choice of Bowe over Meachem. While Bowe is being mentored by EK, Meachem showed up to camp out of shape and then proceeded to get hurt.

COchief
06-08-2007, 08:20 AM
What chapter does he teach how to "put somefing on dey ass"?

Mile High Mania
06-08-2007, 08:29 AM

Yeah, that went well for him...

StcChief
06-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Teaching him to torch Bailey will be worth it.

Donger
06-08-2007, 08:32 AM

One of the appendices?

Al Czervik
06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Eddie is a class act. And while he has dropped a few, he has also made some amazing catches.

And like someone said before, the Donks absolutely despise him....
That makes him alright in my book.

EK is to the Donk fans as Neil is to KC fans

Chan93lx50
06-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Eddie is a class act. And while he has dropped a few, he has also made some amazing catches.

And like someone said before, the Donks absolutely despise him....
That makes him alright in my book.

EK is to the Donk fans as Neil is to KC fans

To make that full circle complete EK needs a Super Bowl ring with the chiefs!

el borracho
06-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Why would we bench Kennison for Bowe? Of last year's two starters I would have to imagine the first to lose his job would be Parker. Or are we going with two new starters at WR? Webb or Hannon and Bowe with Kennison as the 3? I doubt that very much.

InChiefsHell
06-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Eddie's not going to lose his job to a rookie. Not many 1st round rookie receivers make a big splash their first season anyway. I like that he has Eddie to learn from. As many have said, Eddie's a class act and since they are both LSU guys, the have that commonality and camaraderie going for them. It's like having DJ learn from Donnie Edwards. Only good can come from it. The few veterans left on this team are of the type that rookies can really learn good things from.

...in short, I'm very excited about this season.

Splat420
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM

Eddie Kennison's stats

535 catches 8244 yards 42 TD's 368 First Downs

STFU!

Mr. Laz
06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
yep ...... kennison is a fine player for our team.

we just need a true #1 and he would be a complete beast.

could you imagine what kind of numbers he would of put up in our last offense is had a real #1 across from him instead of Sammy Parker?