PDA

View Full Version : Fitness experts needed

cookster50
06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I used to go regularly to the gym and was spending a lot of time there lifting weights and doing cardio. Once my son was born that pretty much stopped and now I am trying to get back into it. However, I don't want to be spending hours a day at the gym. My goal is to lose weight and just tone/define muscles. I don't want to bulk up. So, what is the best method for this which would require maybe 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week doing weights? I know that cardio is most important for weight lose and I have no problem scheduling in my cardio, it is just the weights that I want to spend less time with.

More weight less reps?

More reps less weight?

Short rest time between sets?

Bootlegged
06-08-2007, 10:45 AM
1.) Buy knee braces
2.) Buy wrist wraps
3.) Buy chalk
4.) Pick up old singlet from Middle School wrestling team
5.) Apply
6.) Load the squat rack with 900lbs
7.) Scream "GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! WOOOOOOO"
8.) Lift.

Bowser
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm doing the Body for Life workout right now after going through pretty much the same thing. Upside is the workouts are quick and intense. The downside is it calls for you to hit the gym six times a week.

And for tone, definitely stick with the less weight more reps routine.

Pushead2
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
4 sets of 12 reps with light weights and cardio is a nice cut and trim way. I play football and hockey so I do that during hockey season and then 3 sets of 8 with heavy weights and cardio for football.

cookster50
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
1.) Buy knee braces
2.) Buy wrist wraps
3.) Buy chalk
4.) Pick up old singlet from Middle School wrestling team
5.) Apply
6.) Load the squat rack with 900lbs
7.) Scream "GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! WOOOOOOO"
8.) Lift.

Tried that, 900 lbs wasn't enough, it was waaaay too easy.

cookster50
06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
What about the time to wait between sets? Short time, or with less weight more reps do you still need a nice breather between sets?

Bowser
06-08-2007, 10:50 AM
What about the time to wait between sets? Short time, or with less weight more reps do you still need a nice breather between sets?

I'm a big believer in waiting one minute between sets, be it light or heavy weight. The heart gets a bit more of a workout that way.

NewChief
06-08-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm not an expert, but I solve this problem by doing mini-circuits. I'll have about 4 different exercises I'm doing, for example: pull ups, dips, oblique crunches, ab crunches. I'll rapidly cycle between these without really taking a breather. It lets that muscle group have a short rest while cutting down on the amount of wasted time.

I don't usually have very long to work out in the gym, so I try to do everything as quickly as possible. I'm usually amazed, because I can cycle through 3 sets of all 4 exercises above in the amount of time some big powerlifter guy takes to do two sets of bench press (by the time he gets a drink, adds plates, talks to his buds for a few, psyches himself up, etc.. etc..).

Pushead2
06-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I heard many things from different trainers and friends but I know through out my football years they tell you no more then 30 secs between each set, something about the fibers in your muscles bonding or some crap. For football I follow that it works well. during hockey I relax and take my time with my reps for the burn, allow for cuts and endurance since you need it more for Hockey then Football.

CanadianChief
06-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm a big believer in waiting one minute between sets, be it light or heavy weight. The heart gets a bit more of a workout that way.

If you're not running from one machine to the next you're doing it all wrong :)

NewChief
06-08-2007, 10:57 AM
If you're not running from one machine to the next you're doing it all wrong :)

Heh. I'm that guy, more or less (though I don't do machines much). I feel like a freaking moron as I quicky move from one exercise to the next, but I've got to get as much of a workout in as I can in 30 minutes.

cookster50
06-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Heh. I'm that guy, more or less (though I don't do machines much). I feel like a freaking moron as I quicky move from one exercise to the next, but I've got to get as much of a workout in as I can in 30 minutes.
Sounds good, the only problem I would have is going in the late afternoon(4ish) the gym starts getting busy and people will sit at the machines forever doing their thing. I suppose I could always come back to a machine later if I'm interrupted part way through and finish up....

trndobrd
06-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Sounds good, the only problem I would have is going in the late afternoon(4ish) the gym starts getting busy and people will sit at the machines forever doing their thing.

Geez I hate that! Sit on a machine, sip RockHardSteelCarbo2000 sugar water, stare off into space for 5 minutes, stretch a bit, breathe real hard for about 30 seconds, psyche up, focus, do three reps of too much weight with ridiculously bad form while yelling, puff, wipe forehead...and repeat.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I have an awesome routine for you're if your interested. Other board members have used it with GREAT results.

cookster50
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I have an awesome routine for you're if your interested. Other board members have used it with GREAT results.

Just so you know, I'm talking about working out lifting weights at the gym. If that is what your "routine" is about, then hit me up ;)

NewChief
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Geez I hate that! Sit on a machine, sip RockHardSteelCarbo2000 sugar water, stare off into space for 5 minutes, stretch a bit, breathe real hard for about 30 seconds, psyche up, focus, do three reps of too much weight with ridiculously bad form while yelling, puff, wipe forehead...and repeat.

There was this crew of bigass dudes (looked like the large goombas on the Sopranos) who used to work out in the mornings when I was at the gym. They sat around and talked and goofed off more than anyone I'd ever seen. I swear they would only actually do about 10 reps (total) the entire time they were in the gym.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Just so you know, I'm talking about working out lifting weights at the gym. If that is what your "routine" is about, then hit me up ;)

Just so you know I spent most of my life running health clubs and working with some really great trainers. I will smoke you the routine as I don't like debating this subject. Suffice to say if you use it you will be very happy.

Sure-Oz
06-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Just so you know I spent most of my life running health clubs and working with some really great trainers. I will smoke you the routine as I don't like debating this subject. Suffice to say if you use it you will be very happy.
Could you please Smoke me that routine as well? I am a thin guy 6'2 180lbs, so hopefully i can get something out of this. I also made a post in a thread while back about hte alkali diet asking you about it, so id like to know how you feel about that. Thanks BD

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Could you please Smoke me that routine as well? I am a thin guy 6'2 180lbs, so hopefully i can get something out of this. I also made a post in a thread while back about hte alkali diet asking you about it, so id like to know how you feel about that. Thanks BD

Sure it's on it's way.

Bootlegged
06-08-2007, 12:59 PM

What's wrong with that? Come'on - BIG ARMS! WOOOOOOO!

cookster50
06-08-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. BTW, your PM is full. You have PMS, private message ....errr.......saturation????

trndobrd
06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
What's wrong with that? Come'on - BIG ARMS! WOOOOOOO!

Big arms and chicken legs.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at it. BTW, your PM is full. You have PMS, private message ....errr.......saturation????

Just cleaned some out. Let me know if you have any questions

El Jefe
06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Sent you a request to BD.

CanadianChief
06-08-2007, 01:23 PM
There was this crew of bigass dudes (looked like the large goombas on the Sopranos) who used to work out in the mornings when I was at the gym. They sat around and talked and goofed off more than anyone I'd ever seen. I swear they would only actually do about 10 reps (total) the entire time they were in the gym.

I don't have that problem at my gym. I go to a Reh-fit Centre for seniors who are recovering from strokes and surgeries. They've got all brand new equipment but they never use it. All the seniors do is usually walk around the track so I've pretty much got free reign over all the weights and machines.

I must admit that the ladies can be pretty distracting ;)

bgguitarman
06-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Could I get that routine as well?

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Could I get that routine as well?

Yep

Lzen
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey Big Daddy, can you send me that routine, please? Thanks.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey Big Daddy, can you send me that routine, please? Thanks.

On it's way. Best thing about this is it's only a 3 day a week routine and you will definately bulk up.

bogie
06-08-2007, 01:38 PM

BD, if possible, would you send it to this old man. I would appreciate it.

cookster50
06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I must admit that the ladies can be pretty distracting ;)

That noise you just heard was me throwing up. Disgusting dude!

Virtua Chief
06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Could you send a copy here too bro?

Buehler445
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM

You think you could send that to this fat man? Thanks.

BIG_DADDY
06-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I think I caught up with everyone. If any of you have questions just ask. You may not want to start out with all the sets so you don't get too sore. Withing 90 days people will start making comments about your progress. This is a solid basic routine.

Pushead2
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
BD , send this way, always down for new training tips for sports.

DTLB58
06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Send me those routines guys.

I am just getting ready to start a new excercise/eating plan on Saturday.I'll take any help and suggestions I can get.

BigCatDaddy
06-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I would like to take a look at the routine also BD.

Thanks!

cookster50
06-08-2007, 05:45 PM
PM still full there BD. That is a lot of reps each day. How much time between sets?

Tuckdaddy
06-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Send it to me as well. I got Iraq looming in August.