PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pace OUT as JCOS

memyselfI
06-08-2007, 10:32 AM
A new DUHbya puppet to be announced by Robert Gates this aternoon. PER MSNBC.

go bowe
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
wrt your sig, would big chief dave consider the fact that there are lots of people who are stoned AND stupid?

alanm
06-08-2007, 12:39 PM
The guy is retiring in Sept. You make it sound like he was fired or something. :shake:

memyselfI
06-08-2007, 03:36 PM
wrt your sig, would big chief dave consider the fact that there are lots of people who are stoned AND stupid?

Dunno. But I'm not changing it until the war ends. :harumph:

memyselfI
06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
The guy is retiring in Sept. You make it sound like he was fired or something. :shake:

Try keeping up.

Gates had stated he originally planned to seek an extension for Pace as is permitted by law. But that would entail another confirmation hearing for which Gates thought would be too contentious (Pace might have some splainin to do) and thus he chose NOT to seek the extension.

So, in effect, he WAS let go.

Amnorix
06-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Try keeping up.

Gates had stated he originally planned to seek an extension for Pace as is permitted by law. But that would entail another confirmation hearing for which Gates thought would be too contentious (Pace might have some splainin to do) and thus he chose NOT to seek the extension.

So, in effect, he WAS let go.

Or Pace decided he didn't want to deal wth the grilling at this point in his life, for which I could hardly blame him.

The blame for this fiasco is a socio-political one -- whether we could keep Iraq from flying apart after we crushed the then-existing regime. The military has a ridiculous job to do, and I don't blame them one bit if they fail. Frankly, it was an incredibly hard job they were asked to do to begin with, post-war -- one that was almost destined to fail.

jAZ
06-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Or Pace decided he didn't want to deal wth the grilling at this point in his life, for which I could hardly blame.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19129171/site/newsweek/
June 8, 2007 - Gen. Peter Pace and Adm. Edmund Giambastiani, who climbed to the top rungs of the U.S. military in large part because of their proximity to Donald Rumsfeld, are now seeing their careers end for essentially the same reason. Rumsfeld's successor as Defense secretary, Robert Gates, realized that any attempt this fall to give General Pace two more years as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff would risk what Gates, with characteristic understatement, call "quite contentious" Senate confirmation hearings. His concerns, announced at the Pentagon on Friday afternoon, were almost certainly well-founded.