PDA

View Full Version : Scary Larry to test free agency in 2008

Short Leash Hootie
06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
The San Diego Union-Tribune's Jim Trotter said on ESPN's First Take Friday that the Chiefs are unwilling to pay Larry Johnson "big money" in a contract extension.
Trotter points to Johnson's age (28 in November), 2006 workload (416 carries), and running style as reasons Kansas City won't meet L.J.'s reported asking price of $80 million over eight years. It looks like Johnson will play out this season, then test the free agent waters in 2008. If the Chiefs don't use the franchise tag on him.

Crashride
06-08-2007, 04:13 PM
He just isnt being realistic with that number

Short Leash Hootie
06-08-2007, 04:15 PM
we owe him backpay for his performance IMO...

HemiEd
06-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Priest will be healthy by then.

FAX
06-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Wow. I need to hire that fellow to tell me what's going to happen tomorrow.

That is an exceedingly detailed description of events that won't take place for over a year. The Bible Code's got nothin' on this guy.

FAX

HemiEd
06-08-2007, 04:17 PM

We should pay it out of the refund that Sims, Hicks etc. turn in.

Stewie
06-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Carl said he's going to get a deal done before the season.

Crashride
06-08-2007, 04:21 PM

I want to keep him as much as anyone, but 80 mill if far past "back pay." Plus we dont owe him anything...thats his job.

Short Leash Hootie
06-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I want to keep him as much as anyone, but 80 mill if far past "back pay." Plus we dont owe him anything...thats his job.
you'd be pretty mad if you did your job better than almost everyone where you work but got paid like the guy doing the dishes...

88TG88
06-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Carl said he's going to get a deal done before the season.
No doubt in my mind Carl will pay up. LJ is one of his few draft picks who succeeded.

Crashride
06-08-2007, 04:29 PM
you'd be pretty mad if you did your job better than almost everyone where you work but got paid like the guy doing the dishes...

Your just proving my point...hes doing it better than ALMOST everyone. If you not the top back in the league you shouldnt get paid as the top back. Even the top RB in the league shouldnt be paid 80 mil.

Mr. Laz
06-08-2007, 04:33 PM
are you on drug?!?

HemiEd
06-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Not if I had signed a contract to work for dishwasher pay. It is a two way street.

Buehler445
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM

I do that now. My office is a cash freaking COW and I get paid $24,000/ year. I know what I signed on for. I'm currently looking for a different job, but over the past 2 years, it has been adequate for me. My salary is not negotiable, and I knew it. So I ate the money. Personal choice.

KCBOSS1
06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
80 million? No way. IMO, he has never liked KC and is looking for an excuse to get out. He's making the request unrealistic on purpose. It's like pricing something that you really don't want to sell, if they are willing to pay me what I want to stay, cool. If not, I'm out.

KCBOSS1
06-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, I definitely want him here. I just don't think that he has ever wanted to be here.

sedated
06-08-2007, 04:45 PM
tag him and trade him (if he's lucky enough to not get injured this year)

RB's are a dime a dozen, have the shortest shelf life of any position, and are a product of their O-Line.

Short Leash Hootie
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
what about Jared Allen?

Short Leash Hootie
06-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm not saying he should get 80 million...

but he does deserve a little LEVERAGE considering he has produced for us EVERY time we've needed him..

He was great at the end of 2004, PHENOMENAL in 2005, and put in another team MVP performance in 2006...all the while making a little more than a million per year.

sedated
06-08-2007, 04:51 PM
what about Jared Allen?

sign him.

great DE's are hard to find in the National Football League, and less injury-prone than a lot of positions

HemiEd
06-08-2007, 04:54 PM

but he does deserve a little LEVERAGE considering he has produced for us EVERY time we've needed him..

He was great at the end of 2004, PHENOMENAL in 2005, and put in another team MVP performance in 2006...all the while making a little more than a million per year.

Poor guy should get food stamps. So when it works out in the Chiefs favor, they should pay above the contract? When the player is a bust, they should just eat it?

KurtCobain
06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Let him break a bunch of records this year, then tag him and trade his ass for two first rounders.(one in '08 and one in '09)

noa
06-08-2007, 05:03 PM
We have plenty of time to get this deal done. Carl isn't just going to hear that a player wants $80 mil and give it to him right away. There will be a bunch of back and forth negotiations and we'll end up re-signing him.

Direckshun
06-08-2007, 05:07 PM
We simply can't meet $80 million over 8 years.

I would be willing to pay LJ $10mil a year, but when he turns 30, that number's got to go down.

If this is the case, I wouldn't be opposed to having the Chiefs dangle LJ out there all year during the season to see if anybody'd offer a 1st.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Complete speculation. That guy was talking out his ass.

Mecca
06-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Let him break a bunch of records this year, then tag him and trade his ass for two first rounders.(one in '08 and one in '09)

You'd be lucky to get 1........

I wouldn't pay him that but to each their own.

KCBOSS1
06-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I say that we play possum, race for last place and try to draft Darren McFadden out of Arkansas next year!....this guy's a beast.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I say that we play possum, race for last place and try to draft Darren McFadden out of Arkansas next year!....this guy's a beast.

Homer.

Darren McFadden doesn't have shit on LJ.

KCBOSS1
06-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Best RB in college football his Sophmore year. It could be possible.

KCBOSS1
06-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Homer.

Darren McFadden doesn't have shit on LJ.

Butthead.....wait and see. Thou knowest not what thou speakest of.

KCBOSS1
06-08-2007, 05:45 PM
No, seriously, I agree, we don't want to lose LJ. I think he's the best runner in football right now.

It just seems like he's positioning himself for a move next year, doesn't it?

suds79
06-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Okay so Larry walks in 2008 when he'll be 29?

What's the problem?

Ideally I'd like him for one more year (30) but close enough. I'd say that's getting great value for the money.

Wash, rinse & repeat with the next guy.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Uh, no? The dude wants a long term deal in KC.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 05:48 PM

**** you.

Mecca
06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Okay so Larry walks in 2008 when he'll be 29?

What's the problem?

Ideally I'd like him for one more year (30) but close enough. I'd say that's getting great value for the money.

That's basically how you have to handle RB's these days unless you end up with one of the rare ones who can do it all and avoids being hit alot like LT.

If LJ gets a long term contract we'll be in the same spot with him we are with Holmes...

KCBOSS1
06-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, the way everything is set up, a long term deal really doesn't mean anything does it? Only the signing bonus is guaranteed money..... (Dare I say) TRENT GREEN is proof of that. I do have to admit that how some of this stuff counts against the salary cap is a mystery to me. But he could be released at anytime, right? What about a long term, incentives bonus contract?

suds79
06-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, the way everything is set up, a long term deal really doesn't mean anything does it? Only the signing bonus is guaranteed money..... (Dare I say) TRENT GREEN is proof of that. I do have to admit that how some of this stuff counts against the salary cap is a mystery to me. But he could be released at anytime, right? What about a long term, incentives bonus contract?

Well a long term deal means something.

Yes he could be released at any time but depending on how much left of the signing bonus the Chiefs would owe Larry, theyd have to pay the entire amount of that once hes cut.

My fear is that once hes paid that big contract, hed be pretty much cemented as the Chiefs starting RB well into his 30s where hes going to gain a whopping 3.8 or so yards per carry due to all his wear & tear. See Eddie George.

No thanks to that.

Give him the rock as much as he wants (up until 30) but then trade him in for a young guy.

Thats the nature of the RB position.

GoHuge
06-08-2007, 06:31 PM
80 million? No way. IMO, he has never liked KC and is looking for an excuse to get out. He's making the request unrealistic on purpose. It's like pricing something that you really don't want to sell, if they are willing to pay me what I want to stay, cool. If not, I'm out.Let me start by saying I'm a huge LJ fan. LJ and LT compete with each other in every way possible (judging by what they say during interviews I've seen). They are friends, buddies, etc. and they follow each others careers and LJ even says his first question after a game is "what did LT do?" Don't think for a second that LJ doesn't want to be able to say he's got a bigger contract than LT. Sadly for LJ he's going to lose this competetion becasue I don't see anybody giving him that kind of money.

If he was smart he would work out a fair deal with the Chiefs. I'm not saying he should bend over and let Carl put it to him WPI style, but take the contract that is going to probably be real close to what LT got and play for the Chiefs. He'll get the most money from the Chiefs because Carl drafted him and he'll want LJ to be part of Carl Peterson legacy just like Will Shields, TG, and DT. Carl loves to be able to say "I drafted him" and that has shown to be worth a few $$$ that other teams wouldn't factor in. Tony Gonzalez was the benefactor of being one of "Carl's guys" in his latest contract.

I love LJ but if he thinks he's worthy of LT money (or more) he's going to be disappointed because he's not as good or versatile as LT. I don't think anybody questions who the #1 overall running back in the NFL is. If they do they see the world through red and gold glasses. Last year proved they are the best two backs in the NFL. LT showed he's just a little bit better. LJ should be paid accordingly. His problem is that after he takes another beating this year the numbers (age and carries) make him an old running back in this league. His stock is as high as it will ever be. He needs to sign his fat contract before training camp starts rather than become a FA with another 400 carries and risk injury. People are already talking about when his body will break down. If he gets hurt this year people are really going to start saying he's used up. I wouldn't take the chance if I where him.

Simply Red
06-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Complete speculation. That guy was talking out his ass.
Totally agree.

blueballs
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
what can a person in San Diego know about the NFL
beyond two years ago -no history to work with

beer bacon
06-08-2007, 08:12 PM

This is a horrible analogy. Dishwashers aren't paid millions of dollars to avoid getting tackled.

chop
06-08-2007, 08:18 PM

He got his reward...he is able to opt out of his contract and negotiate for more money.

chagrin
06-08-2007, 08:33 PM
**** you.

LMAO

Nice and succinct; my kind of post, heh

chagrin
06-08-2007, 08:36 PM
what can a person in San Diego know about the NFL
beyond two years ago -no history to work with

Gee I don't know - Lance Alworth, Kellen Winslow, Dan Fouts, the offense that inspired the top system KC, St. Louis, Detroit, etc. used for the past several years, one of the best playoff games ever in the history of the NFL? Don't let that stop your fun posting style though ... :rolleyes:

Splat420
06-08-2007, 08:43 PM
We work out a deal that is good for both sides or we tag him after the season then let him walk the season after that no worries.

kcfan82
06-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I am an LJ fan, but he was also another cog in the system. Yes he put up impressive numbers, but I've seen Priest Homes and Derrick Blalock have 4 TD games behind that Oline.

Granted LT has a dominate Oline as well, it's not like LT is Barry Sanders.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
he put up impressive numbers, but I've seen Priest Homes and Derrick Blalock have 4 TD games behind that Oline.

How about last year's line?

Splat420
06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
I am an LJ fan, but he was also another cog in the system. Yes he put up impressive numbers, but I've seen Priest Homes and Derrick Blalock have 4 TD games behind that Oline.

LJ doesn't have the line that Priest and Blaylock had the guy makes some thing out of nothing a lot if we let LJ go we need a back that can still do that.

go bowe
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
why are we in such a hurry to get rid of our best players?

larry johnson is one of the very best running backs i have seen in my lifetime...

herm dismantled the offense that had been among the best in the nfl, traded away dante and got green to want to leave...

and we're gonna end up with no larry if we don't get an extension done with him...

anybody looking forward to the season, offensively i mean?

i smell run run run punt coming to a stadium near you...

who cares if defenses totally key on larry or if they put eight and sometimes nine defensive players in the box?

herm has the answer: run larry, run larry, run larry, punt...

we'll probably give that young punter of ours a real workout this season...

hope he can handle the pressure...

Mecca
06-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Cause there players are old and in their decline....you have to have a good idea of when players will start to decline so to not overpay for their less productive years.

Green is an old declining player, so is Dante Hall, NFL history tells you LJ is going to hit is decline sooner rather than later.....if we show no forsight with this we'll end up in the same spot we are with Holmes with him only with a much bigger contract....paying him to do nothing.

Splat420
06-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Herm didn't dismantled the offense age did we had to many players on the wrong side of 30. I'm not saying Herm didn't change some things he did but to put all the blame on him is stupid can't blame Herm for Roaf backing out at the last second and taking over a team that was old and on the decline. We did try to do some of the same things on O but with out Green,T-Rich and Al Saunders it was not going to happen we had to change it was just time. IMO we were going to change some things up as the season went on but when Green went down game one we were just SOL face it not even DV could have saved that O.

Cochise
06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
A 28 year old running back wants an 8 year contract? Is he still going to be playing at Trent Green's age?

FAX
06-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Herm didn't dismantled the offense age did we had to many players on the wrong side of 30. I'm not saying Herm didn't change some things he did but to put all the blame on him is stupid can't blame Herm for Roaf backing out at the last second and taking over a team that was old and on the decline. We did try to do some of the same things on O but with out Green,T-Rich and Al Saunders it was not go to happen we had to change it was just time.

I'm very sorry to hear about your brain, Mr. Splat420.

Having watched over 90,000 football games, I can, under oath, attest to the fact that Herm is an offensive idiot and should not be allowed to have anything to do with personnel decisions, playcalling, clock management, or towel selection on that side of the ball.

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 09:39 PM
He's not 28.

It's probably more like a 6-year deal anyway....I think Larry can play until he's 33.

Cochise
06-08-2007, 09:41 PM
He turns 28 during this season.

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 09:43 PM
He turns 28 during this season.

Right, so if he signed a contract before the season....

27-28

28-29

29-30

30-31

31-32

32-33

Six years.

FAX
06-08-2007, 09:44 PM
It might be worth considering the fact that running back years are more like dog years, Mr. GoChiefs. Especially when they're touching the ball 700 times a season.

FAX

Mr. Laz
06-08-2007, 09:45 PM
if he wants that much then run him into the ground and tag and trade him.

Mr. Laz
06-08-2007, 09:47 PM
He's not 28.

It's probably more like a 6-year deal anyway....I think Larry can play until he's 33.
everyone thought the same thing about earl campbell too.

but 1 year they dominate ... the next they just fall apart.

not many power runners stay good after 30

Count Alex's Losses
06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
It might be worth considering the fact that running back years are more like dog years, Mr. GoChiefs. Especially when they're touching the ball 700 times a season.

FAX

Larry barely played the first two years of his career.

kcfan82
06-08-2007, 09:49 PM
LJ doesn't have the line that Priest and Blaylock had the guy makes some thing out of nothing a lot if we let LJ go we need a back that can still do that.

I'm not saying LJ should go, but for years I've watched people drool over Priest and LJ (National Media) and they paid little attention to our line.

Pro Bowl and Start wise, Will Shields is going to be the greatest guard in NFL history in my eyes. I've looked at some pro bowl comaparisons, and Shields trumps guys like Hannah by 3 or more pro bowls.

I mentioned Blalock, because didn't we have a game several years ago where Blalock had 4 TD's?

I think our line might have inflated LJ's ego a tad bit, not that he is a bad back by any means.

I don't think last years line was as good as the lines before that with Willie Roaf gone, but you still had 3 solid guys up the middle.

milkman
06-08-2007, 09:57 PM
My fear is that once hes paid that big contract, hed be pretty much cemented as the Chiefs starting RB well into his 30s where hes going to gain a whopping 3.8 or so yards per carry due to all his wear & tear. See Eddie George.

That analogy would work except that Eddie George only averaged over 3.8 yards per carry 3 times in his career (4.1 ypc in '96 and '99, and 3.9 ypc in '97).

George is the most overrated RB in the history of the NFL>

He put up numbers because he had a ton of carries.

milkman
06-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm not saying LJ should go, but for years I've watched people drool over Priest and LJ (National Media) and they paid little attention to our line.

Pro Bowl and Start wise, Will Shields is going to be the greatest guard in NFL history in my eyes. I've looked at some pro bowl comaparisons, and Shields trumps guys like Hannah by 3 or more pro bowls.

I mentioned Blalock, because didn't we have a game several years ago where Blalock had 4 TD's?

I think our line might have inflated LJ's ego a tad bit, not that he is a bad back by any means.

I don't think last years line was as good as the lines before that with Willie Roaf gone, but you still had 3 solid guys up the middle.

You make a valid point, but you also have to remember that unlike in past years, more of the defensive focus was on the Chiefs running game.

Also bear in mind that Weigman is far better suited to the pulling style that the Chiefs used more of under Saunders han the power game that they've evolved into with LJ.

EDIT: It was also pretty clear that Shields game showed a real decline.

HemiEd
06-08-2007, 10:08 PM
A 28 year old running back wants an 8 year contract? Is he still going to be playing at Trent Green's age?

Heck, give him a 100 million dollar contract, but just make 75 of it the last year that never counts anyway. :D

He would then have the bragging rights for the NY night sceene he likes so well.

Logical
06-08-2007, 11:23 PM

RB's are a dime a dozen, have the shortest shelf life of any position, and are a product of their O-Line.

I am not sure but I think the rules prevent this from being done.

milkman
06-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I am not sure but I think the rules prevent this from being done.

No, I don't believe they do.

Mecca
06-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Larry barely played the first two years of his career.

Jamal Anderson barely played at the beginning of his career too...

Splat420
06-09-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your brain, Mr. Splat420.

Having watched over 90,000 football games, I can, under oath, attest to the fact that Herm is an offensive idiot and should not be allowed to have anything to do with personnel decisions, playcalling, clock management, or towel selection on that side of the ball.

FAX

I'm very sorry to hear you have to blame one guy when are O went down here for many reasons not just one. I know are O was not great but they were still 16th in the NFL did you really think we would be top five for ever? I put some blame on Herm sure but to just blame him is just you looking for an a scapegoat.

KCBOSS1
06-09-2007, 09:41 AM
IMO, Herm shouldn't necessarily fully pull away from the offense, but he should realize his expertise which is defense and motivation and let Solari or whoever do what they do.

Short Leash Hootie
06-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Poor guy should get food stamps. So when it works out in the Chiefs favor, they should pay above the contract? When the player is a bust, they should just eat it?
see...you have no idea what you're talking about.

I hate the 'poor baby he's only making a million dollars' sarcasm bullshit...

THE NFL IS A BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY...HE'S THE ENTERTAINMENT...HE DESERVES TO MAKE MONEY BASED ON WHAT HE BRINGS IN...

He's a 10 million per caliber player.

Short Leash Hootie
06-09-2007, 11:06 AM

that's bullshit...

LJ isn't a system back...he'd be great anywhere...

Priest and Blaylock, definite system backs...no doubt. Though, before the hip injury, Holmes was pretty damn good.

Short Leash Hootie
06-09-2007, 11:07 AM
hahahha...you sure he's not 31?

Dude JUST turned 27 and you want to call him 28 to prove your point?

HOOOOOOO'K

Short Leash Hootie
06-09-2007, 11:08 AM
LJ has no mileage on the legs...ONE year in college...ONE year in high school...dude has more left int he tank than Portis and Portis just turned 25.

bringbackmarty
06-09-2007, 12:36 PM
It's a football TEAM. 80 million for one player even over 8 years is ridiculous. Especially one that can't block, tackle, throw or catch which last time I checked were as important as running to the success of your TEAM.

Add that to the fact that he plays RB which exposes you to a ton of injury risk, and it gets pretty easy to see how we could take this one up the ass real quick.

Let me ask a different question. Is there a RB on the Patriots who is making even 60 Mil? 50 Mil? 40 Mil? The Colts? The Steelers? Faulk had a good deal with the Rams, but he was part of a complete offense, and he could catch and block and he really didn't last all that long once the NFC west shaped up. Was Jamal Lewis making that kind of coin the year the Ravens won?

We have too many questions everywhere else on the team to make this thing work with Larry the way he wants it. It would be irresponsible for Carl to do a deal
without knowing what the QB situation is going to be, or if these new defensive personnel are going to pan out. Or if anyone on our line is going to bother to block anybody this year, or if any of our wide recievers are going to bother to catch the ball besides gonzalez.

Short Leash Hootie
06-09-2007, 12:40 PM
It's a football TEAM. 80 million for one player even over 8 years is ridiculous. Especially one that can't block, tackle, throw or catch which last time I checked were as important as running to the success of your TEAM.

Add that to the fact that he plays RB which exposes you to a ton of injury risk, and it gets pretty easy to see how we could take this one up the ass real quick.

Let me ask a different question. Is there a RB on the Patriots who is making even 60 Mil? 50 Mil? 40 Mil? The Colts? The Steelers? Faulk had a good deal with the Rams, but he was part of a complete offense, and he could catch and block and he really didn't last all that long once the NFC west shaped up. Was Jamal Lewis making that kind of coin the year the Ravens won?

We have too many questions everywhere else on the team to make this thing work with Larry the way he wants it. It would be irresponsible for Carl to do a deal
without knowing what the QB situation is going to be, or if these new defensive personnel are going to pan out. Or if anyone on our line is going to bother to block anybody this year, or if any of our wide recievers are going to bother to catch the ball besides gonzalez.
you can't compare LJ's situation to backs of the past...contracts are getting more ridiculous every year...

Here's an example:

3/2/2007: Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract. The deal includes $22.6 million in guaranteed money, including two $10 million roster bonuses, one in 2007 and one in 2008. Clements' cap charge in 2007 is $11.1 million. The final two years of the deal pay out $27.25 million, including $16 million in 2014, a year that evaporates if Clements receives his $10 million roster bonus in 2008. Essentially then, the deal would be for seven years, $64.02 million.

bringbackmarty
06-09-2007, 01:15 PM
you can't compare LJ's situation to backs of the past...contracts are getting more ridiculous every year...

Here's an example:

3/2/2007: Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract. The deal includes $22.6 million in guaranteed money, including two $10 million roster bonuses, one in 2007 and one in 2008. Clements' cap charge in 2007 is $11.1 million. The final two years of the deal pay out $27.25 million, including $16 million in 2014, a year that evaporates if Clements receives his $10 million roster bonus in 2008. Essentially then, the deal would be for seven years, $64.02 million.

I think you missed my point. All of the teams I mentioned were SB winners, none of them had a contract that would eat up as much of a percentage of their respective teams cap space as Larry's ideal contract. All of those other teams were much more complete and had fewer questions at far fewer positions. They had good QB's and Recievers for the most part, Baltimore being the exception. and they had the best defense the nfl had seen for 20 years.

The running backs for those teams were able to do a couple of things that larry hasn't proven he can do yet - catch and block.

CB is not as prone to injury as a RB, it's the nature of the game, and of the position. It would be foolish with our team as bare as it is on the OL, WR, QB, and defensive secondary to mortgage our future
on a RB with maybe 3-4 good years left in him.

TRR
06-09-2007, 01:22 PM
There is no way LJ will get out of KC unless Peterson wants him to. They will franchise him until the cows come home, and LJ can't afford to sit out a season at his age.

Also, the cap is so easily manipulated nowdays, that it really doesn't matter what you pay a player. Oakland was 100 million over the cap a couple of seasons ago, restructured a couple of players, and was still able to make an impact in FA. Look at what the Patriots are doing. How about Denver? As long as teams are smart about it, they can hide money every season, and be able to sign almost anyone they want. (there was an article awhile back in ESPN The Mag about this very thing.)

Count Alex's Losses
06-09-2007, 01:24 PM
The only way an 80-million dollar contract is going to hurt your team is if you don't draft well.

If you draft well you'll have plenty of money to go around. If you don't draft well you're going to suck anyway.

nychief
06-09-2007, 02:13 PM
NFL players have no control of their fate - the only thing they can do is hold out - and 29 year old running backs should not hold out.

Mr. Laz
06-09-2007, 03:02 PM
The only way an 80-million dollar contract is going to hurt your team is if you don't draft well.

If you draft well you'll have plenty of money to go around. If you don't draft well you're going to suck anyway.
and how's our drafting been?

Count Alex's Losses
06-09-2007, 03:03 PM
and how's our drafting been?

It appears to be improving.

chiefsfan1963
06-09-2007, 04:10 PM
anything could happen regarding LJ. Some of the rookies we drafted could rival LJ this year and the this whole subject could be moot. It will be interesting to see how this gets played out. I have to say that LJ is no LT. I would like to keep him but within reason. I think CP will be smart here no matter what. He is not going to give him the store. Given that we have started to rebuild it may make sense not to renegotiate too soon. We will see.

KCBOSS1
06-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I seriously do think this guy is special. I have from the time I saw him break that 97 yard run in preseason a couple of years ago. He is extraordinary. He's both speed and power and his receiving is improving. Blocking.....well his speed receiving is improving.

But I think I'm getting old or something. I just don't think that any human deserves 10 mil per year for playing ball. I know that this is a mute point, but professional sports as a whole are headed for a crisis. I sound like my Grandad now, but he's getting smarter every year.