PDA

View Full Version : anti-war "Iraqi Vet" shown to be just another lying leftist

Bill Parcells
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Man who lied about actions in Iraq admits faking forms
By David Bowermaster
Seattle Times staff reporter

Jesse MacBeth stoked opposition to the Iraq war in 2006 when he spoke out about atrocities he committed as a U.S. Army Ranger serving as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

MacBeth, 23, of Tacoma, claimed to have killed more than 200 people, many at close range, some as they prayed in a mosque. He spoke at an anti-war rally in Tacoma and appeared in a 20-minute anti-war video that circulated widely on the Internet.

Trouble is, none of MacBeth's claims was true. He made it through only six weeks of Army basic training, was never a Ranger and never set foot in Iraq.

Conservative bloggers exposed MacBeth's lies in May 2006, destroying his credibility and embarrassing the Seattle company that produced the video about his exploits.

MacBeth's comeuppance continued Thursday, when he pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Seattle to one count of making false statements to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Before becoming a public figure, MacBeth admitted, he filed a bogus claim for VA benefits in 2005 that included a fraudulent military-discharge form.

MacBeth said on the forms that he had been in the Army for more than three years and had achieved the rank of corporal. He also claimed he had been awarded a Purple Heart and that he was discharged because he suffered from post-traumatic-stress disorder.

None of those assertions was true, MacBeth acknowledged in a plea agreement. MacBeth spent 44 days as a private at Fort Benning, Ga., in 2003 but was released "for issues related to entry-level performance and conduct," according to court papers.

PepperSpray Productions in Seattle produced the video titled "Jesse MacBeth: An Iraq Veteran Speaks Out."

In the film, MacBeth told nuanced tales of brutal killings he carried out at the behest of his commanding officers.

"They would actually feel the hot muzzle of my rifle on their forehead," he reportedly said on the video, which is no longer in circulation.

The production company, which describes itself as a "video activist collective" of volunteers formed after the World Trade Organization protests in Seattle in 1999, has a link to a "Jesse MacBeth Retraction" on its home page.

The statement reads, in part: "Jesse Macbeth misrepresented to PepperSpray Productions and others his military service and was never deployed in Iraq. When we learned that Macbeth's service records were fraudulent, we immediately pulled the video and are no longer distributing it."

MacBeth, a skinny 23-year-old with close-cropped hair and a goatee, said little as he entered his guilty plea before Magistrate Judge James Donohue.

U.S. District Court Judge Robert Lasnik will sentence him Sept. 21. The maximum penalty for making false statements to the government is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003739269_fakeranger08m0.html

Gotta love these ''Anti-war Americans'' that try and disgrace the US Army.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2007, 03:34 PM
U.S. District Court Judge Robert Lasnik will sentence him Sept. 21. The maximum penalty for making false statements to the government is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

It's a shame that those in the govt who routinely lie to the American people, and I don't just mean the Bush/Cheney crowd but even prosecuters ( Martha Stewart case ring a bell?) don't get the same penalties.

Gotta love these ''Anti-war Americans'' that try and disgrace the US Army.
So that would have to include the 70% of the American people who are now anti-war. Yep! I guess so.

I can never figure out why the super-hawk conservatives and/or NeoCons always try to say it's just another "leftist." Guess they have nothing left.

Sorry bill.

trndobrd
06-08-2007, 04:07 PM
So that would have to include the 70% of the American people who are now anti-war. Yep! I guess so.

70% of the American people have falsely claimed that they were in Iraq, and that they committed murder at the behest of their chain of command in order to make anti-military propaganda?

Taco John
06-08-2007, 04:45 PM
70% of the American people have falsely claimed that they were in Iraq, and that they committed murder at the behest of their chain of command in order to make anti-military propaganda?

No. One guy did that.

You should re-read the story, only slower this time.

Bill Parcells
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
It's a shame that those in the govt who routinely lie to the American people, and I don't just mean the Bush/Cheney crowd but even prosecuters ( Martha Stewart case ring a bell?) don't get the same penalties.
Wait, who in the government claimed to kill hundreds of Iraqi's on orders from the President, and lied about it? :spock:

So lying about his tenure in the military compares to 70% of the American people? :spock:

I can never figure out why the super-hawk conservatives and/or NeoCons always try to say it's just another "leftist." Guess they have nothing left.

Sorry bill.
It's more like lunatic leftists, Michael Moore started the trend, along with ALGORE. maybe you should preach to them.

Amnorix
06-08-2007, 06:19 PM
It's more like lunatic leftists, Michael Moore started the trend, along with ALGORE. maybe you should preach to them.

Al Gore is "lunatic left"? :spock: That's ridiculous.

|Zach|
06-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Al Gore is "lunatic left"? :spock: That's ridiculous.
Consider the source. It is all relative I suppose.

Bill Parcells
06-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Consider the source. It is all relative I suppose.
Ah yes, the youth of America speaks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Bill, conflating one dumbass with all of the left does a disservice to political discourse and yourself. You're better than that.

By the same token, could I take the relatively few soldiers who were prosecuted b/c of Abu Ghraib as indicative of the fact that all soldiers are psychopathic and get off on torturing and humiliating people?

Isn't that a might ridiculous as well?

Bill Parcells
06-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Bill, conflating one dumbass with all of the left does a disservice to political discourse and yourself. You're better than that.

By the same token, could I take the relatively few soldiers who were prosecuted b/c of Abu Ghraib as indicative of the fact that all soldiers are psychopathic and get off on torturing and humiliating people?

Isn't that a might ridiculous as well?
That's an excellent point, Hamas. you're right.

Logical
06-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Not that he is but maybe this guy is a disgruntled Republican, now wouldn't that be funny as hell.

Logical
06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Ah yes, the youth of America speaks.

No I was a voter who chose Bush over Gore but there is no way Gore is a leftist, a centrist yes who leans liberal.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
My response is to both bill parcells and trndobrd, even if I quote bill only... since their posts were similar.

Wait, who in the government claimed to kill hundreds of Iraqi's on orders from the President, and lied about it? :spock:
Where did I make such a claim? I didn't.
You're doing what you're implying I was doing.

I was simply adding my own point to this subject of lying to the govt ( govt forms here) by quoting the part on penalties for doing so. In other words the tables need to switched around on the govt when they do it to us because they do it often. This of course would include Bush/Cheney and many others.

So lying about his tenure in the military compares to 70% of the American people? :spock:
Obviously I didn't say that either. Did you actually read your last line?

Hint: Note the line I quoted that I was responding to, which was YOUR statement. You referred to "anti-war" Americans, as in a sweeping generality implying they also are disgracing the US Army. I was just applying your own logic to those 70% of Americans, who ARE anti-war, who by logical extension must be trying to disgrace the army as well per you.

Comprenez-vous?

Bill Parcells
06-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Where did I make such a claim? I didn't.
You're doing what you're implying I was doing.
This is true, sorry about that BEP, my brain was in a bit of a funk yesterday afternoon.
Note to self has been sent.

I was simply adding my own point to this subject of lying to the govt ( govt forms here) by quoting the part on penalties for doing so. In other words the tables need to switched around on the govt when they do it to us because they do it often. This of course would include Bush/Cheney and many others.
I agree with that, but it will never happen, because lying politicians usually win elections, and they make the laws. ;)

Obviously I didn't say that either. Did you actually read your last line?

Hint: Note the line I quoted that I was responding to, which was YOUR statement. You referred to "anti-war" Americans, as in a sweeping generality implying they also are disgracing the US Army. I was just applying your own logic to those 70% of Americans, who ARE anti-war, who by logical extension must be trying to disgrace the army as well per you.

Comprenez-vous?
Gotchya.

I didn't mean it to categorize 70% of americans who are against the war, it was more about the anti-war/anti-US army Americans I was referring to.

This is a tough subject for me, I personally think that the dumbass who ratted out his fellow soldiers at Abu Ghraib caused the most damage to what we are trying to do over there than anything else. he felt it just wasn't right! it's war time, and you're in the army that you joined VOLUNTARILY, get over it.

Bill Parcells
06-09-2007, 07:17 AM
No I was a voter who chose Bush over Gore but there is no way Gore is a leftist, a centrist yes who leans liberal.
I think he may have been a centrist when he was VP, but he has moved to the left a lot since his bitter defeat in 2000.

trndobrd
06-09-2007, 08:04 AM
This is a tough subject for me, I personally think that the dumbass who ratted out his fellow soldiers at Abu Ghraib caused the most damage to what we are trying to do over there than anything else. he felt it just wasn't right! it's war time, and you're in the army that you joined VOLUNTARILY, get over it.

The clowns engaging in the illegal activities did the damage, not the Soldier who spoke up. Not only did he feel it wasn't right, it wasn't right. It was wrong. War time or not, the U.S. Army is not a gang of thugs. :shake:

BucEyedPea
06-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I think he may have been a centrist when he was VP, but he has moved to the left a lot since his bitter defeat in 2000.
That's where victims usually go.

oh oooh....now I'm doing it!

chagrin
06-09-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm just curious - was there a thread about this guy when he made the statements? If so I would love to see it

Logical
06-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm just curious - was there a thread about this guy when he made the statements? If so I would love to see itI am pretty sure there was not. I did a search on his name and only came up with this thread.

Logical
06-09-2007, 01:36 PM
The clowns engaging in the illegal activities did the damage, not the Soldier who spoke up. Not only did he feel it wasn't right, it wasn't right. It was wrong. War time or not, the U.S. Army is not a gang of thugs. :shake:

I must say that I feel you bring authority to this statement based on your stance on military issues.:clap:

Cochise
06-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Pretending you were in the military, especially that you served in a war, is about as low as it gets.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Pretending you were in the military, especially that you served in a war, is about as low as it gets.
http://www.davidstuff.com/usa/lincoln/bush-pilot.jpg

:shrug:

Cochise
06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
http://www.davidstuff.com/usa/lincoln/bush-pilot.jpg

:shrug:

Well, he's commander in chief of the armed forces, and I don't remember him claiming to be a war veteran.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Well, he's commander in chief of the armed forces, and I don't remember him claiming to be a war veteran.

I'm just yanking your chain, dude.

Cochise
06-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm just yanking your chain, dude.

You have to use a smiley so we know you're not playing the straight Hamas. :p