PDA

View Full Version : If You Didn't Think Bell Was A Bad Manager...

petegz28
06-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Putting in Costa for Sweeney as DH and then...and then....batting Cost 4th in the lineup says it all.

I defended Bell until earlier this year but after tonight I have to say this guy is a complete and total dumb****!

Emil Brown DH for Sweeney? No. Why? Cause it is a lefty pitcher so let's bat a .180 guy 4th in the lineup.

By the way WTF was Sweeney not in tonight?

RP_McMurphy
06-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Of course Bell is a MORON but he came CHEAP and that's the glASS family way.

keg in kc
06-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Sweeney's batting under .250 and due to be injured any game now. Who gives a shit whether he's in the lineup or not.

RP_McMurphy
06-09-2007, 08:12 PM
He's still better than Alice Gordon.

shakesthecat
06-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Of course Bell is a MORON but he came CHEAP and that's the glASS family way.

Oh brother....

Bell is a moron, but Glass signed off on Meche, didn't he?
Not to mention Gordon, and Hochevar, and soon to be Moustakes.

Allard Baird was the reason the R's sucked arse, not the Glass family.

RP_McMurphy
06-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah that Alice Gordon looks real impressive. Meche yeah he's got a winning record also. Moustakes= Scott Boras......he ain't signing with KC.

ChiefsCountry
06-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Well overall the Glasses have been cheap that is a fact but they have been changing since they hired Moore. Honestly I think Moore knew they were going to stink this year and Bell would be a great scape goat until he found the manager he wanted.

bsp4444
06-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I was at the game and I nearly threw up when I saw Costa DH'ing in the 4th slot. Although he did have one of the only three Royals hits at the time, didn't Sweeney have a homer and another hit last night? What a joke Bell is.

CoMoChief
06-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh brother....

:shake:

Let's not mention trading away our star players once they blossom into the league and drafting terrible reaches simply because they are easy to sign. How is Glass not to blame?

shakesthecat
06-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah that Alice Gordon looks real impressive. Meche yeah he's got a winning record also. Moustakes= Scott Boras......he ain't signing with KC.

Yeah, the Dodgers couldn't get Hochevar signed, but somehow Glass did, yeah.

Yeah, the Jays, Yankees and Cubs all wanted Meche, but they were outbid by Glass.

But by all means keep spouting ignorant crap, yeah.

ChiefsCountry
06-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Let's not mention trading away our star players once they blossom into the league and drafting terrible reaches simply because they are easy to sign. How is Glass not to blame?

It will be intresting what he does in the future with DeJesus, Gordon, and them.

If I was Glass I would keep 51% of the team and then go try to find some other investors to help out financially.

petegz28
06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Well everyone in my row, even the Philly fans all about fell over when we heard "Batting 4th the Designated Hitter...Shane Costa"

I mean how the **** do you bench your team captain and clean-up hitter for a minor league, platoon guy batting .186 and put him in the 4th slot?

I am not a sWeeney fan but for God's sake man WTF is Bell thinking???

KurtCobain
06-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Dude must have too many bells going off in his noggin.

shakesthecat
06-09-2007, 08:43 PM

OK, for the 1000th time, Beltran wasn't going to sign with KC no matter what. He left KC with no other choice but to trade him. Same with Dye.
Baird was the one who got bent over and got little in return.

If that really was the case, why is Sweeney still here?

Baird is also to blame for draft disasters like Rosco Cosby and Colt Griffin

Geez, how many time do we have to go over this.

petegz28
06-09-2007, 08:46 PM
OK, for the 1000th time, Beltran wasn't going to sign with KC no matter what. He left KC with no other choice but to trade him. Same with Dye.

Dye we could of kept if we were serious a the time of building a team. He wanted out cause we had no intention of building a team then.

Baird was a total dumb ass of a GM. Decent spotter of talent, terrible at managing.

shakesthecat
06-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Dye we could of kept if we were serious a the time of building a team. He wanted out cause we had no intention of building a team then.

Baird was a total dumb ass of a GM. Decent spotter of talent, terrible at managing.

I disagree that Baird was a decent spotter of talent.
His drafts were horrible. His trades were even worse.

He, not Glass, is the reason the R's are in the shape they are now.

petegz28
06-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I disagree that Baird was a decent spotter of talent.
His drafts were horrible. His trades were even worse.

He, not Glass, is the reason the R's are in the shape they are now.

Well I will partialy agree.....Baird did get us Teahen and Buck both of which are improving players and Buck is really improved this year.

But to be honest I don't think Baird ever had the repsect of the Glass family and the trust needed to convince Glass to dump millions of $'s on players.

I mean would you afte Santiago, Juan Gone, Jose Lime and Reggie Sanders?

gblowfish
06-09-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Observations about tonight's game:

1) If Sweeney had a bad knee, why was he out warming up the pitcher when Buck was putting on his gear? Knee too bad to DH, but he can squat and catch a pitcher. No excuse to have him out until he hurts himself again...my bet is a bulging disc by the all-star game.

2) Costa sucks, no way he should hit fourth. His only hit was a two out two strike bunt hit. That's really what you want from your #4 hitter...right.

3) Alex Gordon needs about six weeks in Omaha. Put German or B-error-A on third. Either guy has to hit more than .180, and Alex or "Alice's" defense hasn't been all that. He's absolutely killing us hitting in the five or six hole, especially since Shealy hasn't hit either.

4) Buddy Bell is an idiot. But with this talent, changing managers in mid season will make no sense at all. Who, that would be any good, would take the job? Let's wait until a contending team in a big market flames out in September, and pick up a manager that's been canned in a city that expects more.

5) We'll sign the Moose, but Boras will insist on mo money than the slot system. The real problem with Boras will be when the kid gets in his big league service time and will want the hell out of KC, like every other Boras client.

6) DeJesus hitting the first pitch in the ninth was stupid. Batting coach should beat him with a bamboo rod for 30 minutes after this game.

7) Ump's strike zone was ridiculous. In the first, Teahen had two straight strikes called on him that were a good half foot out of the zone. Grudz got one called on him in the 9th, and then meekly grounded out to second. Ump must have had a massage scheduled for 9pm. Hope he didn't get a happy ending.

8) Leiber is not that good. He's a .500 pitcher. Meche is not that bad. Royals don't score runs for him.

9) John Buck should play everyday. If Sweeney can't DH, use Buck instead on day games after night games. He's one of the few bats with some power in our lineup.

10) Everybody's said "the Royals are much better this year." They're still on pace to lose more than 100 games, proving, you can't polish a turd. They're two, maybe three years away from being mediocre (.500) may never be a condenter again. Sorry to say that, but they need more guys like Dennis Leonard, who was honored tonight. He was a fighter. Nobody on our team today could carry his jock.

petegz28
06-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Not to mention Bells over-managing of pitchers and constant tweaking of the lineup. I swear it's a guess anymore who is playing where...

1 day Gorond is at 3rd, the next he is at 1st but we bench Sweeney who hits a ton better than Gordon.

Another day we have Brown and Costa, the next Gathriwht and Sweeney, the next Gathwright and Costa.....all because the guy on the mound is Left or Right handed????

We keep losing and Bell keeps doing the same shit.

petegz28
06-09-2007, 09:09 PM

1) If Sweeney had a bad knee, why was he out warming up the pitcher when Buck was putting on his gear? Knee too bad to DH, but he can squat and catch a pitcher. No excuse to have him out until he hurts himself again...my bet is a bulging disc by the all-star game.

2) Costa sucks, no way he should hit fourth. His only hit was a two out two strike bunt hit. That's really what you want from your #4 hitter...right.

3) Alex Gordon needs about six weeks in Omaha. Put German or B-error-A on third. Either guy has to hit more than .180, and Alex or "Alice's" defense hasn't been all that. He's absolutely killing us hitting in the five or six hole, especially since Shealy hasn't hit either.

4) Buddy Bell is an idiot. But with this talent, changing managers in mid season will make no sense at all. Who, that would be any good, would take the job? Let's wait until a contending team in a big market flames out in September, and pick up a manager that's been canned in a city that expects more.

5) We'll sign the Moose, but Boras will insist on mo money than the slot system. The real problem with Boras will be when the kid gets in his big league service time and will want the hell out of KC, like every other Boras client.

6) DeJesus hitting the first pitch in the ninth was stupid. Batting coach should beat him with a bamboo rod for 30 minutes after this game.

7) Ump's strike zone was ridiculous. In the first, Teahen had two straight strikes called on him that were a good half foot out of the zone. Grudz got one called on him in the 9th, and then meekly grounded out to second. Ump must have had a massage scheduled for 9pm. Hope he didn't get a happy ending.

8) Leiber is not that good. He's a .500 pitcher. Meche is not that bad. Royals don't score runs for him.

9) John Buck should play everyday. If Sweeney can't DH, use Buck instead on day games after night games. He's one of the few bats with some power in our lineup.

10) Everybody's said "the Royals are much better this year." They're still on pace to lose more than 100 games, proving, you can't polish a turd. They're two, maybe three years away from being mediocre (.500) may never be a condenter again. Sorry to say that, but they need more guys like Dennis Leonard, who was honored tonight. He was a fighter. Nobody on our team today could carry his jock.

I agree except I think the hitting coach needs to be following Bell out the door. DD led the game off with a single and then 7 straight k's. I know the ump was full of shit I could tell from where IW as sitting as well as a bunch of others.

Gordon, well Gordon needs to go to AAA and start having some success again before we ruin him.

Meche is the real deal and everyone in our clubhouse owes him a hummer for going postal.

You have a great point about Buck being the DH. Why wasn't Brown the DH tonight or German?

The sad part is look for Gathwright to be yanked now since he has been doing good since he was called up...tonight not counted but still.

We have talent. We have a lot of talent. We just don't know WTF to do with it cause our coaches don't know how to win.

PinkFloyd
06-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh brother....

Baird didn't know diddly do about baseball... I have to go along with shakesthecat on this one... Glass might have been a tightass, but I think it was due to Baird not being able to find quality players... Moore know's his crap, as he was taught by the best --- Mr. Shurholz(sp)... I'm still giving these guy's 2 years til they get "average"... After that, I think the sky COULD be the limit...

PinkFloyd
06-09-2007, 09:30 PM
We have talent. We have a lot of talent. We just don't know WTF to do with it cause our coaches don't know how to win.

DING DING DING.... We have a winner...

PinkFloyd
06-09-2007, 09:32 PM

Was you the one that called into 810 Sports after the game ??? Cause this dude said just about everything you said in about the same order....

PinkFloyd
06-09-2007, 09:35 PM
It will be intresting what he does in the future with DeJesus, Gordon, and them.

If I was Glass I would keep 51% of the team and then go try to find some other investors to help out financially.

This might sound like a joke, but if I had the money I'd be there in a heartbeat... Give this team time -- they will be there... With Moore getting new players, and with the stadium improvemnts getting ready to happen --- what's the old saying ---- If You Build It --- They Will Come !!!!!

gblowfish
06-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Was you the one that called into 810 Sports after the game ??? Cause this dude said just about everything you said in about the same order....
Nope, I came home and crawled up into the fetal position, chanting....
three hits....three f*cking hits....three hits.

I'm glad someone agrees with me, though.

BTW: I have Crown Seats behind home plate for tomorrow's game.
Look for me.
I'll paint "SOY BOMB" across my chest...

Mecca
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM

The trades were partially bad because of Baird but how people forget the Dye trade was so horrible because he was told by the Glasses to get a major league player back and not just minor league guys.......

Lets also not mention that Baird had countless trades worked out to move guys like Joe Randa but was vetoed by the owners.

PinkFloyd
06-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Nope, I came home and crawled up into the fetal position, chanting....
three hits....three f*cking hits....three hits.

I'm glad someone agrees with me, though.

BTW: I have Crown Seats behind home plate for tomorrow's game.
Look for me.
I'll paint "SOY BOMB" across my chest...

How much are those ??? Myself and a friend might be going also...

petegz28
06-09-2007, 09:52 PM

those are like $150 each

gblowfish
06-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Crown seats are (I think this is right...) $175 per game.
I got a free one. One of my best buds from High School works for a millionare KC businessman, and gets these seats about a dozen times a year. Sometimes I get to go, and tomorrow is one of those days. I saw Cardinals game in the same seats last year. Trent Green, Eddie Kennison, Tony Richardson and Eric Hicks were sitting in the front row, right in front of us.

There's a brunch at 11am, great food, all you want, free bar, free beer, and girls come around every inning and will bring you whatever you want, beer, sandwich, whatever. You can duck down to the bar duing the game if you want, get into the AC and cool off, take a whizz in a clean bathroom....it's pretty great.

I'm just fortunate to have a good friend with the goods. We do tip the girls after the game, usually $30 or $40 for the service. Well worth it, though. You're right on the umpire's shoulder, probably 25 feet from home plate.

PinkFloyd
06-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Crown seats are (I think this is right...) $175 per game.
I got a free one. One of my best buds from High School works for a millionare KC businessman, and gets these seats about a dozen times a year. Sometimes I get to go, and tomorrow is one of those days. I saw Cardinals game in the same seats last year. Trent Green, Eddie Kennison, Tony Richardson and Eric Hicks were sitting in the front row, right in front of us.

There's a brunch at 11am, great food, all you want, free bar, free beer, and girls come around every inning and will bring you whatever you want, beer, sandwich, whatever. You can duck down to the bar duing the game if you want, get into the AC and cool off, take a whizz in a clean bathroom....it's pretty great.

I'm just fortunate to have a good friend with the goods. We do tip the girls after the game, usually $30 or $40 for the service. Well worth it, though. You're right on the umpire's shoulder, probably 25 feet from home plate.

Wow... It's about the only place I've never sat at there at the stadium... If I go, I'm sure we will be close to that area... We always set in the lower level in between the two dugouts...

Coach
06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Meche...what can I say about the guy? Every fifth day, the right-hander works deep into the game, gives his team a chance to win and often tosses a quality start.

He just doesn't receive much support. Sure, today wasn't a "quality start" but still he kept the Royals in the game. It's not like he got blasted like Marquis for the Cobs.

That's why I never grade a pitcher based on wins and losses, becuase they are so skewed. If he had an actual offense, he could had been 6-3 instead of 3-6.

Coach
06-09-2007, 10:14 PM

I disagree. Buddy Bell is considered one of the worst managers in MLB.

1143 games managed, 473 wins, 670 losses for a winning percentage of .414.

Brutal.

I remember that article on the KC Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/164/story/107208.html

There have been 116 managers in baseball history who have skippered at least 1,000 games in their careers. If you put all of those managers in order by winning percentage, there is a pretty smooth downward slope that begins at Joe McCarthy’s amazing apex of a .615 winning percentage. The slope moves downward all the way down to .438 and then takes a sharp turn straight down, where Buddy Bell resides at .413. Out of those 116 managers, only Jimmie Wilson, who guided some really bad Phillies teams during the Depression, is worse (.401).

I think it'd be a good idea to see if someone can actually manage better than Buddy, even if it has to occur during the mid-season.

Mecca
06-09-2007, 10:23 PM
The difference a manager makes in baseball really isn't that much........it's maybe 10-15 games. I find it shocking that the best baseball managers just happen to have the best players.....

I'm not saying Bell is good or defending him I'm just saying baseball is generally about the players and managers don't mean a great deal.....

Demonpenz
06-09-2007, 11:01 PM
i remember when people said torre sucked but then he got witht he yankees. Look for baird to get another gm job soon. He wasn't that bad. The big problem with the royals is they **** around too much. Gordon at first gobble to the bullpen, afelt to the pen, grienke to the pen teahan to right. We are going to suck atleast give those players some full seasons to see what they got and not change shit all the damn time

CHIEF4EVER
06-09-2007, 11:54 PM
i remember when people said torre sucked but then he got witht he yankees. Look for baird to get another gm job soon. He wasn't that bad. The big problem with the royals is they **** around too much. Gordon at first gobble to the bullpen, afelt to the pen, grienke to the pen teahan to right. We are going to suck atleast give those players some full seasons to see what they got and not change shit all the damn time

In other words, be patient with the young talent we have which is what I have been advocating all along. They are going to eff up at this stage. They will learn from their mistakes and get better WITH PROPER MANAGING. That's where Bell comes in IMO. He simply doesn't have what it's going to take IMHO. I hope Moore is already eyeing a replacement for him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Allard Baird was the worst GM in MLB. Some of the Royals *Scouts* did a good job with guys like Dye, Beltran, and Damon, but out of those three guys, he got back about 8 cents on the dollar.

He said he wanted a youth movement, then picked up Grudz, Sanders, etc. The guy had no clue how to be a GM.

Nothing Dayton Moore has done so far indicates that he'll be more than a mediocre GM...maybe he will, maybe he won't, but for a guy who was charged with evaluating pitchers, Atlanta hasn't gotten any solid prospects (save for Wainwright).

Moore got this job because the fans could be fooled into thinking that he was Schuerholz Jr. At some point, you have to blame the fans for being dumb enough to buy that line of shit.

petegz28
06-10-2007, 07:17 AM
The difference a manager makes in baseball really isn't that much........it's maybe 10-15 games. I find it shocking that the best baseball managers just happen to have the best players.....

I'm not saying Bell is good or defending him I'm just saying baseball is generally about the players and managers don't mean a great deal.....

Wait a second....are you telling me platooning Costa at DH and batting him in the 4th slot is somehow the fault of our talent leve and not Bell?

Why not Brown or German instead? Or fine put in Costa but why bat him 4th?

Chief Chief
06-10-2007, 07:32 AM
I propose that the reason Sweeney wasn't in the line-up was because either:

1 - Sweeney believed he wouldn't fare well against Lieberthal and "persuaded" Bell to keep him out of the line-up (a la former Colorado Rockies OF Larry Walker vs. then-Seattle Mariners/-Arizona Diamondbacks P Randy Johnson)..

..OR..

2) Bell and the Royals management are going to keep Sweeney on the bench even more often than they have already so he'll be in good (read: injury-free) condition for when the trading sessions begin full-swing next month; Sweeney's in his last year of his $11M/year contract and there's no way in H-E-doublehockeysticks that the Royals will extend a contract offer to Sweeney.

Dartgod
06-10-2007, 09:51 AM
7) Ump's strike zone was ridiculous. In the first, Teahen had two straight strikes called on him that were a good half foot out of the zone. Grudz got one called on him in the 9th, and then meekly grounded out to second. Ump must have had a massage scheduled for 9pm. Hope he didn't get a happy ending.To be fair, he was calling it that way for both teams. We were in section 103, so we had a pretty good view of the plate.

Both teams combined for 22 strikeouts. How many of those were looking?

KCFalcon59
06-10-2007, 09:59 AM
We all knew that Bell sucked well before he was hired.

Dave Lane
06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Putting in Costa for Sweeney as DH and then...and then....batting Cost 4th in the lineup says it all.

I defended Bell until earlier this year but after tonight I have to say this guy is a complete and total dumb****!

Emil Brown DH for Sweeney? No. Why? Cause it is a lefty pitcher so let's bat a .180 guy 4th in the lineup.

By the way WTF was Sweeney not in tonight?

I was at the game last night. You really think Sweeney or anyone else would have won that for us? Dude was on with his pitching. Leiber shutdown everybody period.

Sweeney Brett McRae none of them would have helped much. And honestly who cares if we win an extra 10 games this year?

THIS YEAR doesn't matter. This is like preseason or minicamp. Who cares lets just get at bats to the younger players and see what the hell we've got. Next year will be the first year that matters in a long time for the Royals. I see them showing signs of progress this year and thats all I want.

Dave