PDA

View Full Version : Defense Homers patiently await thier turn at the table.

Gaz
04-21-2001, 10:07 AM
Now to the Defense, which has been neglected as usual:

DE: We are adequately provisioned at this position, particularly with the Owens signing. Unless a quality FA drops into our lap after the June bloodbath, we make no further changes in this position.

DT: Ah, there’s the rub. We have several bodies, but precious little quality. Let us, for the moment, assume that Browning stays healthy and Williams stays motivated. I realize both assumptions fly in the face of historical precedent, but let that be for the nonce. Even if we make those assumptions, we need a run-stuffing DT. Draft Mario Monds or Kenny Smith in the 4th.

LB: We have 66% of a good LB corps. I am more than content with Edwards and Maslowski [although Maslowski should be a MLB rather than OLB, IMO]. Patton aged decades last season and Bush did not live up to our fondest hopes. We need to draft Morlon Greenwood or Jamie Winborn in the 3rd.

CB: This presents quite a poser. Warfield, Bartee and Dennis are ciphers, due to the Stooge’s late unlamented stinkin’ soft zone. We added Crockett for veteran leadership and can rightly expect to be "Grayless" after June 1st. Do we add another rookie CB to the crew, or do we plan to temper them under live fire and add another veteran CB after the June cuts? A tough decision, but I would go ahead a draft CB Tay Cody or Bhawoh Jue in the 3rd.

S: The starters are just fine, but I worry about depth. I take Robert Carswell or Leo Barnes with that extra pick from the Rams.

xoxo~
Gaz
Living off scraps, SCRAPS!

Gaz
04-21-2001, 10:13 AM
I would also consider trading the 4th to the Jaguars for LB Hardy.

In that case, draft DT Mario Fatafehi or Ryan Pickett in the 3rd.

xoxo~
Gaz
Tweaking.

kcred
04-21-2001, 10:21 AM
Don't think we can afford Hardy, Gaz. He is last year of his contract, and if backloaded like most, would have a heavy cap hit, plus he is UFA after the season, lets look at those rooks in the draft.

Frazod
04-21-2001, 10:24 AM
We are now officially Rams West. Apparently we don't need a defense.

AJKCFAN
04-21-2001, 10:25 AM
Richard:

We need to get Kyle to investigate Hardy's contract and how much it's worth.

He may be the biggest impact defensive player out there at any position and to me it's imperative the Chiefs get him, especially for a 4th, and if his salary is cap-friendly.

KCJohnny
04-21-2001, 10:28 AM
Frazod:
We almost never agree on anything, but on this we agree! This completes the total Ramifization of our beloved Chiefs. Next comes the uniform change: a little ram's horn around the arrowhead on the helmets.
Who needs a D, right? DV figures we'll be up 28-0 in the first quarter every Sunday. IF we can get the ball away from the opponents, that is!

Gaz
04-21-2001, 10:38 AM
IF we can get the ball away from the opponents, that is!

The rules say that they must kick off to us when they score.

Perhaps this is a variation of the old field position scheme. By the end of the 2nd quarter, the enemy kicker will be so tired his kickoffs will fall short for the rest of the game. Short field=more scoring.

Ooooh. That Vermeil is a sly one…

xoxo~
Gaz
Tongue wedged in cheek.

Frazod
04-21-2001, 10:42 AM
No kidding, John. I guess they can use the Arrowhead in DC, since Marty moved a good chunk of the old team out there.

KCJohnny
04-21-2001, 10:45 AM
Gaz:
LOL!!!!
I'm glad somebody on the BB knows the rule book better than me!
KCJ

keg in kc
04-21-2001, 01:42 PM
We need to get Kyle to investigate Hardy's contract and how much it's worth.

Your wish is my command.

Hardy is due to be paid $2,200,000 in 2001 in base salary. Bonus information I don't have available.

As for this rampant anti-Vermeil sentiment with regards to the defense, you folks are conveniently forgetting the fact that both of his teams that contended for the Championship averaged giving up @16 points/game.

Dick Vermeil was NOT involved with the 2000 Rams and their patented "sieve defense".

He's obviously upgraded the special teams, addressing an area of serious need, and we're likely to focus on taking defensive talent in the draft.

Wonder what folks will complain about then...

Mosbonian
04-21-2001, 02:01 PM
Gaz:

The lack of a draft pick to use on a good D-lineman was what I was screaming about last night... here we sit drinking watered down beer, while the rest of the league has the Million Dollar Bottle of Wine...

Like i said last night, Carl and Dickie V's pursuit of Trent Green reminds me of two horny 16 y/o boys chasing after the easiest girl in town.!

mmaddog

Gaz
04-21-2001, 02:08 PM
mmaddog-

We can still get a quality DT in the 3rd or even 4th Round. Vermeil made it clear that we are going to use DTbC this year when he talked about waves of DLinemen. That was when I abandoned all hope of a DT with #12.

As long as the lion's share of the draft goes for D, we could be well along the rebuilding cycle.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not at all depressed [yet].

Mosbonian
04-21-2001, 02:18 PM
Gaz:

At this point i am loathe to trust anything that CP & DV say. I would bet that of the small number of draft picks we have left that at least half are offensive.

Wanna bet that we lose out on a good QB prospect?

mmaddog

Gaz
04-21-2001, 02:36 PM
Well, we have [9] picks.

I expect [5] of them to be Defense:

CB & LB in the 3rd, DT in the 4th, S in the 5th and DL in the 7th.

I expect [4] of them to be on Offense:

OG in the 4th, WR in the 5th, QB in the 6th and OL in the 7th.

Not quite as Defense-heavy as I might have hoped, but the Offensive picks are needed and I am willing to throw the Offense Homers a bone...

xoxo~
Gaz
Will squeal like a pig if he does not get [5] Defensive picks.