PDA

View Full Version : Got pulled over last night

Bowser
06-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Last night after midnight coming back from the movies with the wife and daughter in tow, I get pulled over by one of the cities' outlying village's finest. Long story short - the cop tells me there's a warrant out against my license plate for a woman who lives or used to live in Sugar Creek. Just a case of mistaken identity, which is a good thing for me, but the thing is I've had this car and plates for almost two years and have never had this happen before. Did the cop just screw up when he ran my plates the first time (he did have the Coke bottle rimmed glasses), or is this a problem I need to check into getting resolved, just so I don't need to deal with again in the future?

milkman
06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Put on a wig and let them arrest you.

Then sue them for false arrest.

banyon
06-10-2007, 08:45 AM
It might have been a fabrication on the cop's part too.

blueballs
06-10-2007, 08:46 AM
he needed to get out of the car to fart

Bob Dole
06-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Sounds like he was just making up an excuse to check you out.

Nothing good happens after midnight, you know.

Bowser
06-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Put a wig on and let them arrest you.

I thought about turning my wife in. :D

It might have been a fabrication on the cop's part too.

Sounds like he was just making up an excuse to check you out.

Nothing good happens after midnight, you know.

Yeah, I thought that as I was driving away. The name he gave of the woman from Sugar Creek didn't come across as sounding "right". And, this particular village is notorious for being hardasses. My wife's cousin got a ticket for going 27 in a 25 there. :shake:

he needed to get out of the car to fartThis I don't doubt. He was a short, large guy that looked like could rip some serious ass if he put a little effort into it. However, he was a Sergent, and if it was me and I was riding with a junior guy, I'd rip it in the car and let the rook sit in it and soak it in. But maybe that's just me.

banyon
06-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I thought that as I was driving away. The name he gave of the woman from Sugar Creek didn't come across as sounding "right". And, this particular village is notorious for being hardasses. My wife's cousin got a ticket for going 27 in a 25 there. :shake:

It's my understanding that a lot of police departments promote you based on the number of searches that you do. There are other factors too, but that's a major one.

The theory of course is that more stops = more busts = more $. Pull you over, hope they can smell weed/alcohol,call for a dog to get prob cause, search your car.

So as long as a lot of police officers can justify pulling you over, they will.

Bowser
06-10-2007, 09:12 AM
It's my understanding that a lot of police departments promote you based on the number of searches that you do. There are other factors too, but that's a major one.

The theory of course is that more stops = more busts = more $. Pull you over, hope they can smell weed/alcohol,call for a dog to get prob cause, search your car.

So as long as a lot of police officers can justify pulling you over, they will.

Yep, I can believe this 100%.

So do you think I shouldn't worry too much about what "warrants" are out against my plates, and just chalk it up to having to deal with a cop who was out trolling for a catch?

banyon
06-10-2007, 09:16 AM

So do you think I shouldn't worry too much about what "warrants" are out against my plates, and just chalk it up to having to deal with a cop who was out trolling for a catch?

Contact your state Hwy patrol and get your Motor vehicle record if you are worried.

Was this cop following you for a long time or not?

Cochise
06-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Just another example of police corruption, cops are chicken Raiders[/chiefsplanet]

Chieftain58
06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
He probably thought he could get you on DUI

Baconeater
06-10-2007, 10:51 AM
:BS:I've never heard of a warrant being issued against a set of license plates.

Adept Havelock
06-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Just another example of police corruption, cops are chicken Raiders[/chiefsplanet]

No, but it is an example of why running LEA's as a for-profit agency (I.E. getting to keep confiscated cash/cars/etc.) can be a dangerous policy. Most cops are honest. Those that are not are very dangerous to the public, and can use forfiture laws to line their departments (and their own?) pockets.

JMO.

Hydrae
06-10-2007, 12:23 PM

I wonder if getting this information and (assuming it is false as you expect) passing it along to the Chief in the town would cause any issues for him. If the Chief doesn't care, the town council might like to hear about the bs being pulled by their department.

Bowser
06-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Was this cop following you for a long time or not?

No. He followed me all of two minutes. The road I was on was 25 mph. I noticed he was following me pretty closely, so I slowed down to around 20 just to aggrivate him, if nothing else. That's probably why he pulled me over - thought he had a drunk trying too hard not to get pulled over.

banyon
06-10-2007, 03:18 PM
No. He followed me all of two minutes. The road I was on was 25 mph. I noticed he was following me pretty closely, so I slowed down to around 20 just to aggrivate him, if nothing else. That's probably why he pulled me over - thought he had a drunk trying too hard not to get pulled over.

Then I don't think he was looking for that lady's specific plate on an APB warrant or anything. And Bugeater is right, usually systems are set up to run Licenses, not License Plates. That cop was FOS.

Groves
06-10-2007, 03:34 PM
A few weeks ago I had a buddy that got T-boned in an intersection. While the cop was dealing with the report, he casually informed my friend that there was a guy with the same exact birthdate and birth-year with the same first and last name on the sex offender registry, but it was in Wisconsin, not Nebraska.

My friend went to the sex offender registry site later and confirmed it, but apparently the guy used to be or now is in Washington DC.

Chalk up two states that my friend should definitely not move to. Not worth THAT hassle. He does have a different middle initial, at least.

Reaper16
06-10-2007, 05:32 PM
A few weeks ago I had a buddy that got T-boned in an intersection. While the cop was dealing with the report, he casually informed my friend that there was a guy with the same exact birthdate and birth-year with the same first and last name on the sex offender registry, but it was in Wisconsin, not Nebraska.

My friend went to the sex offender registry site later and confirmed it, but apparently the guy used to be or now is in Washington DC.

Chalk up two states that my friend should definitely not move to. Not worth THAT hassle. He does have a different middle initial, at least.
One state, actually. Not two.

Groves
06-10-2007, 05:57 PM
If you like the hassle of "No, that's a different John Doe, he's actually moved on to another state, you've got me confused with him, but he's gone now, and I'm not him even though we've got the same name and exact age".

Yeah, I suppose that if you don't mind that, then it becomes one state. Seems like two states to avoid residing in seems appropriate.

The cop didn't have the latest info, why would the town gossips?

Reaper16
06-10-2007, 06:01 PM
No, just one state. Washington, D.C. is in no way, shape, or form a state.

Simply Red
06-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Put on a wig and let them arrest you.

ROFL

Groves
06-10-2007, 06:41 PM
I'd say it's a Sorry State at times, wouldn't you?

I get your point. Washington DC is surrounded by a state that would be unwise to live in as well.

Reaper16
06-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I'd say it's a Sorry State at times, wouldn't you?

Well played.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
No. He followed me all of two minutes. The road I was on was 25 mph. I noticed he was following me pretty closely, so I slowed down to around 20 just to aggrivate him, if nothing else. That's probably why he pulled me over - thought he had a drunk trying too hard not to get pulled over.Slow down? I go 5 over, when I am being followed, just to see if they got the balls to write me a ticket for it...

MadMax
06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Slow down? I go 5 over, when I am being followed, just to see if they got the balls to write me a ticket for it...

I got a DUI for doing that, I blew a .09 and was just heading home :( He rode my ass so I sped up then he pulled me over. Chickenshit stuff huh. What sucks is I passed the field sobriety tests but he insisted on giving me a breathalizer..Oh well I no longer drink and drive I just wanted to share that lol 3 blocks from my house too.

Logical
06-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Go down to your local constabulary and take in your registration, ask them to run your license plate number for warrants. They should do it no problem, if it comes up clean you will know you don't need to worry about it. If there really is a warrant start the paperwork to have it removed while you are there. This really should not be a problem we handled things like this routinely at the KC desk when I worked there as clerk in my college days.

Cochise
06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
No, but it is an example of why running LEA's as a for-profit agency (I.E. getting to keep confiscated cash/cars/etc.) can be a dangerous policy. Most cops are honest. Those that are not are very dangerous to the public, and can use forfiture laws to line their departments (and their own?) pockets.

JMO.

There should be a stirring the pot smiley. :p

crazycoffey
06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
LEA's are ran as for-profit agencies? I gotta call Bullshit on that one....

Mr. Flopnuts
06-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I thought about turning my wife in. :D

This I don't doubt. He was a short, large guy that looked like could rip some serious ass if he put a little effort into it. However, he was a Sergent, and if it was me and I was riding with a junior guy, I'd rip it in the car and let the rook sit in it and soak it in. But maybe that's just me.

It must have been CC

crazycoffey
06-10-2007, 11:58 PM
It must have been CC

Nope, Jack wasn't maced, so it wasn't me.....