PDA

View Full Version : Help with trip to Disney World

IA_Chiefs_fan
06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
My wife and I are trying to decide when to take the kids to Disney World. We could go in about a year and a half and the kids would be 11.5 years (boy) and 9 years (girl). However, we would be in a slightly better financial position if we waited an extra year so the kids would be 12.5 and 10 years old. My biggest concern here is that my son would be nearly 13 if we wait the extra year and he might not get quite as much out of the trip. What say you?

Also, I went back and read some old posts but I received contradictory info on the following: What is the best time of year to go? We do NOT want to be there when it is scorching hot and would prefer to avoid long lines etc; I know it is probably impossible to have both :(

Rain Man
06-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Paging mmaddog. Mmaddog to the customer service desk, please.

unlurking
06-10-2007, 11:10 AM
The best possible time ever to take a vacation (IMO) is between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is the time of year with the least amount of vacationers, by a dramatic difference.

We usually try to go the first week of December to places like this. We did Disney Land a few years back this way, and never waited in line more than one cycle/rotation until after noon (although Friday was much busier). We also got some great deals because that is the "down time". We spent a week out there, with a 3 day Disney pass. Tuesday we went to Lego Land, and were almost the only people in the park the first hour. Thursday we went to Sea World, and my son and I road one of their rides 11 times in a row without ever waiting in line.

Spent a five days in Vegas the same way (first time I'd ever been). Got 5 nights hotel and round trip airfare for 2 for $500. The town seemed almost dead. The biggest problem was that all the escalators were shut down for service at the strip intersections, and we had to climb the stairs. Also less of a choice for performers (not shows like Blue Man Group, but comedians, magicians, etc.).

Anyways, I only vacation during that time period in the US now.

IA_Chiefs_fan
06-10-2007, 06:31 PM
bump

DaKCMan AP
06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Don't go summer (too hot), don't go Thanksgiving, Christmas or Spring Break (too busy). Otherwise you should be ok. :thumb:

DaneMcCloud
06-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Disney World and Epcot Center are awesome, regardless of age. While Disney may be a "little" young for a teenage boy, EPCOT Center more than makes up for that. Definitely get the 3 day park jumper pass because you'll want to see and do everything you can.

I understand that you don't want to go while it's blazing hot but the biggest problem with going "off-season" is that many of the rides and attractions are shut down for maintenance, refreshing, etc. It's a major bummer to go all that way and not experience everything the parks have to offer.

LocoChiefsFan
06-10-2007, 09:55 PM
I just got back from there(this morning). Feel free to pm me with any questions. We stayed there for 8 days.

BigRedChief
06-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Dude, do a search. There are at least 2 threads with multiple pages in them with tips and tricks for a Disney World vacation.

IA_Chiefs_fan
06-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Dude, do a search. There are at least 2 threads with multiple pages in them with tips and tricks for a Disney World vacation.
Did a search - still have questions.

Mile High Mania
06-11-2007, 08:12 AM
We went for a week last Christmas through New Years... very fun and age ranges of kids were 9 months through 18 years old. My family, the sister-in-law's family and the grandparents... so, 7 kids under 18.

They all had a great time - there are rides and shows to please them all. I suggest taking the kids (since they're over 10) to Universal Studios as well - much better rides if the kids are into roller coasters, etc. Disney has fun rides, but not much "thrill". US is also considerably cheaper than Disney.

Kids of any age though will enjoy the trip... and I don't know that it's possible to "save enough money" for the trip. :) You're gonna pay a nice coin either way.

Oh - Christmas was quite crowded, not real bad, but it was crowded. You might try that time between Thanksgiving and Christmas though. In 2000, we went sometime after May and before August (can't recall the exact month), but dear lord... hot, hot, hot and crowded.

Monty
06-11-2007, 09:28 AM
We went the first week of June last year and it wasn't bad at all IMO. The only advice I have is to make sure that you watch what you wear with regard to color. The first day we were there, I went with the Chiefs attire, so I was dressed almost entirely in red. I got a few looks, but didn't think anything of it. Later, I was watching the news on TV back at the resort and found out that particular day was "Gay/Lesbian Day" and all people supporting that endeavor were supposed to wear red. :banghead:

Brock
06-11-2007, 09:32 AM
We went the first week of June last year and it wasn't bad at all IMO. The only advice I have is to make sure that you watch what you wear with regard to color. The first day we were there, I went with the Chiefs attire, so I was dressed almost entirely in red. I got a few looks, but didn't think anything of it. Later, I was watching the news on TV back at the resort and found out that particular day was "Gay/Lesbian Day" and all people supporting that endeavor were supposed to wear red. :banghead:

OMG somebody might have thought you were gay!!! :cuss:

Monty
06-11-2007, 09:45 AM
OMG somebody might have thought you were gay!!! :cuss:

No worries, I'm pretty much a happy person anyway. :)

Mile High Mania
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
... that particular day was "Gay/Lesbian Day" and all people supporting that endeavor were supposed to wear red. :banghead:

That's been a "double secret" rule of conduct for NFL fans on Sunday as well for many many years.

C-Mac
06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
That's been a "double secret" rule of conduct for NFL fans on Sunday as well for many many years.

Some arent so "secretive"..... :D

Mile High Mania
06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
"AUUUGGGGHHHHH .... MY EYES ... MY EYES!!!!"

CanadianChief
06-11-2007, 10:37 AM
My wife and I are trying to decide when to take the kids to Disney World. We could go in about a year and a half and the kids would be 11.5 years (boy) and 9 years (girl). However, we would be in a slightly better financial position if we waited an extra year so the kids would be 12.5 and 10 years old. My biggest concern here is that my son would be nearly 13 if we wait the extra year and he might not get quite as much out of the trip. What say you?

Also, I went back and read some old posts but I received contradictory info on the following: What is the best time of year to go? We do NOT want to be there when it is scorching hot and would prefer to avoid long lines etc; I know it is probably impossible to have both :(

I went from Dec. 10th-17th in 2005 and would definitely go back at that time of year. The lines were very short (only had to get a fast pass for a few rides; soarin', TOT). On average I'd say we waited in line about 10-15 minutes per ride. The weather was okay. It was in the High 70's in the day and it got down to the low 60's in the evening. Only rained one day.

They've also got the Christmas lights all up and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party going on so that's a plus if you're into that kind of thing. We checked out the Osbourne Family Lights as MGM and they were good.

I went to Disneyworld for the first time when I was 14 and I had a blast. Went on everything from E.T to whatever was the scariest ride back then...I can't remember.

CanadianChief
06-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Make sure you take them to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. They have some of the best thrill rides in my opinion. The Hulk rollercoaster was awesome and Spiderman was my favorite ride on the whole trip.