PDA

View Full Version : Fred "Flip-Flop" Thompson: "(I'm) an abortion-rights defender"...but "(I'm) pro-life"

jAZ
06-12-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/NEWS0206/706100399/1001/NEWS

In 2008 when seeking the GOP Nomination:
"Senator Thompson is pro-life. He has been consistently pro-life throughout his career, having been endorsed by National Right to Life and having a 100 percent pro-life voting record while in the Senate," Thompson spokesman Mark Corallo said in a written response to questions.

In 1996:
In a 1996 Tennessean article Thompson acknowledged his role as "an abortion-rights defender in a party with a pro-life tilt" as he headed to the Republican National Convention.

"We need to concentrate on what brings us together and not what divides us," Thompson said in an interview at the time, brushing aside his differences with the GOP's official pro-life stance.

pikesome
06-12-2007, 01:24 AM
His voting record on abortion. (http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=22003&type=category&category=2&go.x=12&go.y=9)

and

His Interest Group ratings. (http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=22003)

ClevelandBronco
06-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Sorry. That phrase is played out. We know you're just trying to bring it up again to cover your last failed candidate, but you'll have to better.

You guys are creative. Work on a catch phrase of your own.

jAZ
06-12-2007, 02:28 AM
Sorry. That phrase is played out. We know you're just trying to bring it up again to cover your last failed candidate, but you'll have to better.

You guys are creative. Work on a catch phrase of your own.
How about... Fred "I'll say whatever I need to in order to get elected" Thompson?

He'll only have to share that title with Bush, McCain, Rudy and Romney.

;)

Silock
06-12-2007, 02:58 AM
How about... Fred "I'll say whatever I need to in order to get elected" Thompson?

He'll only have to share that title with Bush, McCain, Rudy and Romney.

;)

...and Obama, Clinton, Edwards, and Clinton.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2007/06/obama_trades_ga.html

jAZ
06-12-2007, 04:14 AM
...and Obama, Clinton, Edwards, and Clinton.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2007/06/obama_trades_ga.html
Man that's scraping the bottom of the barrel of comebacks... throw everyone in together under a single example that's shredded in 15 seconds on google.

:shake:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/08/26/213743.html

New Car Review: 2005 Chrysler 300C

PERFORMANCE: The new ``Hemi'' is a clean-sheet design. The namesake hemispherical combustion chambers allow efficient breathing for good power output with good fuel economy and low emissions. With 340 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 390 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm, it's the most powerful engine in a Chrysler car since the demise of the old Hemi in the early 1970s. It is quiet and refined, with just the right amount of V8 rumble under hard acceleration. And while it is capable of great acceleration, fuel economy is commendable thanks to the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). Using special valve lifters that essentially decouple the valves from the camshafts, and electronic controls that shut down fuel to the deactivated cylinders, the 90-degree V8 is transformed into a 180-degree V4 when peak power is not demanded. It really is seamless - even while it was demonstrated to me by a Chrysler engineer, I could not feel any change in the engine. The resulting mid-20s highway gas mileage is impressive for a two-ton high-performance car. The five-speed automatic transmission is the same as used by the Mercedes half of DaimlerChrysler, and shifts quickly and efficiently. It can be easily shifted manually in ``AutoStick'' mode for performance driving, but given the Hemi's 390 lb-ft of torque, shifting is strictly optional.

Silock
06-12-2007, 05:22 AM
O0o0o0o... Mid 20s? That's INSANE!!!!

Are you ****ing kidding me?

It gets worse highway mileage than a Corvette. It gets 23 MPG on the highway. That's atrocious. My 1998 GMC Jimmy gets 25 MPG on the highway, and it's a decade old and 3 feet taller. A brand new 500 hp Corvette gets 27 on the highway.

And I'm not throwing them all together under one example. I just singled out your boy Obama. This isn't the first time he's been called out on hybrid vehicles.

Do you remember last year when he said that global warming was caused by all the gas guzzling vehicles and that we need to be more responsible? Then he was called out because he drove an SUV. After that came out, he sold it to cover his ass.

Man that's scraping the bottom of the barrel of comebacks... throw everyone in together under a single example that's shredded in 15 seconds on google.

:shake:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/08/26/213743.html

New Car Review: 2005 Chrysler 300C

PERFORMANCE: The new ``Hemi'' is a clean-sheet design. The namesake hemispherical combustion chambers allow efficient breathing for good power output with good fuel economy and low emissions. With 340 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 390 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm, it's the most powerful engine in a Chrysler car since the demise of the old Hemi in the early 1970s. It is quiet and refined, with just the right amount of V8 rumble under hard acceleration. And while it is capable of great acceleration, fuel economy is commendable thanks to the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). Using special valve lifters that essentially decouple the valves from the camshafts, and electronic controls that shut down fuel to the deactivated cylinders, the 90-degree V8 is transformed into a 180-degree V4 when peak power is not demanded. It really is seamless - even while it was demonstrated to me by a Chrysler engineer, I could not feel any change in the engine. The resulting mid-20s highway gas mileage is impressive for a two-ton high-performance car. The five-speed automatic transmission is the same as used by the Mercedes half of DaimlerChrysler, and shifts quickly and efficiently. It can be easily shifted manually in ``AutoStick'' mode for performance driving, but given the Hemi's 390 lb-ft of torque, shifting is strictly optional.

Mr. Kotter
06-12-2007, 07:46 AM
His voting record on abortion. (http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=22003&type=category&category=2&go.x=12&go.y=9)

and

His Interest Group ratings. (http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=22003)

Justin won't let facts get in the way of his demagoguery.

jAZ
06-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Justin won't let facts get in the way of his demagoguery.
You just go ahead and avoid the two facts I presented in the thread subject.

Fact 1: He is a self-proclaimed "an abortion-rights defender"

Fact 2: His campaign now calls him "Pro-Life"

Maybe if you call me an asshole, it will go away. Give it a shot, I say!

irishjayhawk
06-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I have to say I have the same stance. It's kinda like Voltaires' I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it.

Only retrofitted for this:
I may disagree with what you decide to do, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to have it.

Cochise
06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Now I'm convinced that Thompson might be a real threat to win the nomination. Before, I wasn't sure, but if jAZ is trying to poison the well, there must be something to it. :D

Now, insert here my usual response about there being a difference between changing your mind and trying to have it both ways.

recxjake
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061102078.html

noa
06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Tim Griffin, a Karl Rove buddy, went to work on Thompson's unofficial campaign after resigning from his short stint as U.S. Attorney. Thompson will likely get a lot of backing from the Bush camp now, including Rove.

recxjake
06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
www.race42008.com

The Hype and the Allure of Fred Thompson
Ive got to be honest. I didnt start caring about and following politics closely until 2000 - 7 years ago. Oh, Im old enough to remember watching the 1996 campaign and election, but Bob Dole wasnt exactly an inspiration to get into politics, and everyone knew Bill Clinton was going to win anyway. But maybe my youthfulness (at 27 years old) is a reason that I just cant seem to see what other people see in Fred Thompson.

I can understand some of it. He a southerner. The field is lacking a true conservative (whatever that means). Hes got the backing of a lot of ex-Congressional colleagues. But outside of that, I cant help but thinking that Fred Thompson is a whole lot of hype. And Im not trying to write a hit piece here, and Im not writing this as a Romney supporter (because I honestly believe Fred actually helps Romney in this race by taking support from Rudy). Im just writing as a politico whos trying to be honest with his readers.

Heres the deal: every one of our candidates (and the candidates on the left) has flaws that keep them from running away with this nomination. And Fred Thompson seems to me to be a compilation of many of those flaws. Please allow me to explain.

Folks have issues with McCain because of Campaign Finance Reform, and Fred was a cosponsor of the bill and one of the main reasons it passed in the Senate.

People have issues with McCain because of his age, and Fred looks and feels just as old, if not a lot older.

Folks have problems with McCain because hes a Washington insider, and Fred was a lobbyist for 18 years.

People have integrity issues with Giuliani, and Fred also divorced his first wife. They have problems with Rudys stance on abortion, and Fred is pro-choice in the first trimester and says government needs to respect a womans ability to make the decision for herself.

Speaking of abortion, folks have an issue with Romney because hes a flip-flopper, especially on abortion, and Fred has now changed his positions on abortion, immigration reform, campaign finance reform, and probably some other things that will come out during the campaign.

Folks have problems with some of the candidates because they feel phony, and Fred didnt even own the red pickup truck he used during his first Senate run. Hed drive it a couple blocks away from events, hop into a luxury car and let one of his staffers drive the truck.

We criticize Barack Obama for a lack of experience, and Fred has only served 1 1/2 terms in the Senate and has no executive experience. Hes a politician turned actor turned politician turned actor turned politician again.

We say we want to avoid party fatigue and nominate someone entirely different than Bush. In my estimate, Rudy and Mitt both fill that role. Fred, on the other hand, seems to be as close to being George Bush as you can get without being George Allen. (I do think that George Allen would have gotten far in this campaign had it not been for the M word, but I also believe that would have been to our detriment as a party.) Plus, Fred Thompson served on the advisory board for Scooter Libbys defense team, something that will surely come up repeatedly in an election.

The deal with Fred Thompson seems to be the same deal with Barack Obama on the other side of the fence: right now, people can mold him into anything they want him to be. They need a conservative savior, and FDT can fill that role for them. Just as a piece of anecdotal evidence, I have a friend who has already said he will support Fred Thompson. I asked him what he knew about Freds positions and he could not tell me a single thing Thompson stood for other than, Hes a conservative.

This is the hype and the allure of Fred Thompson Im still trying to figure out.

Mr. Laz
06-12-2007, 01:06 PM
or Fred "Republican" Thompson

same difference

NewChief
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
The deal with Fred Thompson seems to be the same deal with Barack Obama on the other side of the fence: right now, people can mold him into anything they want him to be. They need a conservative savior, and FDT can fill that role for them. Just as a piece of anecdotal evidence, I have a friend who has already said he will support Fred Thompson. I asked him what he knew about Freds positions and he could not tell me a single thing Thompson stood for other than, Hes a conservative.

I think this is a pretty good analysis, and I've made the same comparison between him and Barack. People seem to be caught up in the cult of personality concerning both these candidates. Voters seem to "just like them." Of course, I don't think that necessarily means they're weak candidates. On the contrary, I think that a person can easily win the presidency on such intangibles that have very little to do with actual politics.

Mr. Kotter
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
or Fred "Republican" Thompson

same difference

Or Hillary "Democrat" Clinton...or Barrak "Democrat" Obama?

Same Difference. Right? :shrug:

go bowe
06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
You just go ahead and avoid the two facts I presented in the thread subject.Fact 1: He is a self-proclaimed "an abortion-rights defender"

Fact 2: His campaign now calls him "Pro-Life"Maybe if you call me an asshole, it will go away. Give it a shot, I say!ok, your and ash hole...

go bowe
06-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Or Hillary "Democrat" Clinton...or Barrak "Democrat" Obama?

Same Difference. Right? :shrug:oh no you don't...

his name is barak HUSSEIN oboma...

and don't you forget it...

Mr. Kotter
06-12-2007, 02:15 PM
oh no you don't...

his name is barak HUSSEIN oboma...

and don't you forget it...

I stand corrected.....heh. Now, the only question is....which is worse? :hmmm:

ROYC75
06-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Political BS at it's finest, it's the same shit every year, just different canidates.

Cochise
06-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I think this is a pretty good analysis, and I've made the same comparison between him and Barack. People seem to be caught up in the cult of personality concerning both these candidates. Voters seem to "just like them." Of course, I don't think that necessarily means they're weak candidates. On the contrary, I think that a person can easily win the presidency on such intangibles that have very little to do with actual politics.

I agree, totally.

I think the popularity of Obama, Thompson, and Rudy... all 3 of them is owing to the fact that voters don't know much about them yet.

If people knew Obama's voting record his numbers wouldn't be so high, but no one really knows anything about him yet. People are finding out details about Rudy and his numbers are dropping. Thompson is an enigma as well, although he supposedly casts the shadow of a real conservative.

Hillary is the only one we know a lot about, and everyone wishes they knew less.

Adept Havelock
06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Thompson is an enigma as well, although he supposedly casts the shadow of a real conservative.

So if Thompson sees his shadow, we have Six more years of Trickle-Down Economics? :p

Hillary is the only one we know a lot about, and everyone wishes they knew less.

Ain't that the sad and sorry truth. :banghead:

mlyonsd
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Actually I can see how Fred could be hypocritical because I am too.

In one hand there is an innocent human with no voice but probably no ability of what we would define as intelligience being eliminated.

In the other is in most cases a human capable of intelligient thought making bad decisions that might negatively impact the rest of their lives.

One side wants to look the other way of the innocent human because it is the easy answer. They have no voice so it's out of sight, out of mind, wash your hands of the situation.

The other side wants to force certain restrictions on the mother that could cause life damaging consequences.

Not knowing the answer but understanding each side is a terrible thing to face when deciding public policy. In reality all sides are right and wrong at the same time.

Direckshun
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Just saw Thompson on Leno.

He didn't have anything to say about this subject, but I have thoughts. I was hoping someone could link me to the Thompson for Prez thread.