PDA

View Full Version : GSA Chief violates Hatch Act, what will Bush do?

the Talking Can
06-12-2007, 08:48 AM
and why do all these people obstruct investigations? I'm mean, besides the fact that they are guilty..

Bush Is Asked to Discipline GSA Chief in Hatch Act Inquiry

By Robert O'Harrow Jr.
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 12, 2007; Page A07

The U.S. special counsel has called on President Bush to discipline General Services Administration chief Lurita Alexis Doan "to the fullest extent" for violating the federal Hatch Act when she allegedly asked political appointees how they could "help our candidates" during a January meeting.

In a June 8 letter to Bush, Special Counsel Scott J. Bloch accused Doan of "engaging in the most pernicious of political activity" during a Jan. 26 lunch briefing involving 36 GSA political appointees and featuring a PowerPoint presentation about the November elections by the White House's deputy director of political affairs.

At the presentation's conclusion, Doan asked what could be done to "help our candidates," according to a special counsel report. Several GSA appointees who watched the presentation told special counsel investigators that some appointees responded with ideas of how the agency could use its facilities to benefit the Republican Party.

Later, after the special counsel's office received a complaint about the episode and began investigating, Doan showed "a proclivity toward misrepresentation and obstructing an official investigation," Bloch told the president in a four-page letter that accompanied an eight-page memo about the case.

Doan declined to comment yesterday. "It would be inappropriate for the Administrator to comment on an official letter from the Office of Special Counsel to the President of the United States," the GSA said in a statement.

Doan has denied any wrongdoing, saying she did not organize the meeting and did not intend for her remarks to spur GSA appointees to become involved in the election.

Bloch's letter caps an investigation that included interviews with more than 20 political appointees and a review of 1,100 pages of evidence. The goal was to determine whether Doan violated the Hatch Act, which restricts executive branch employees from using their positions for political purposes. The president can take a range of actions, from rejecting the recommendations to dismissing Doan.

"I recommend that Administrator Doan be disciplined to the fullest extent for her serious violation of the Hatch Act and insensitivity to cooperating fully and honestly in the course of our investigation," Bloch wrote....

Leftist newspaper - Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061102169.html?nav=rss_politics)

Adept Havelock
06-12-2007, 09:38 AM
What'll he do? Diddly/Squat. It's just the use of the GSA for partisan political purposes. "Everybody does it...." :banghead:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VePqzIrR-ao"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VePqzIrR-ao" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

patteeu
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
It's good to see the Talking Can taking an interest in good government. I hope it lasts into the next democrat administration if we ever have to have one again.

the Talking Can
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
It's good to see the Talking Can taking an interest in good government. I hope it lasts into the next democrat administration if we ever have to have one again.

the next time you take an interest in good government will be the first time....

but feel free to talk about me and not the GSA which has been politicized, just like the DOJ....anything to avoid the facts...

Radar Chief
06-12-2007, 10:48 AM

I can attest to the fact that tTC was a very vocal, er uh as “vocal” as one can be on an interweb BB that is, opponent of the Clinton regime.
In fact, that seems to be the common thread. That tTC is more anti-establishment than anti any particular party.
Personally, I think it’s just ‘cause it gives him a reason to bitch since that’s about all you’ll ever get out of the guy. ;)

Radar Chief
06-12-2007, 10:51 AM
....anything to avoid the facts...

:LOL: If you weren’t going around ignoring the facts counter to what you want to bitch about on other topics, this wouldn’t be nearly as funny. :thumb:

banyon
06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Meh, what's the big deal?

So what if we are collapsing the party-state distinction and remodeling our government on the Chinese model?

go bowe
06-12-2007, 12:40 PM
whoa, that alberto gonzales memory problem must be contagious...

this lady must have said i don't remember eleventy-million times...

viva gonzales...

banyon
06-12-2007, 12:47 PM

viva gonzales...

You must've missed the banquet last year :"ANNUAL THERMOMETER DRINKING SHOTS CONTEST".

the Talking Can
06-12-2007, 12:55 PM

viva gonzales...

no one has told the truth yet, except for Monica Goodling (http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/003275.php) who admitted “I know I crossed the line of civil service rules."..US Attorney Bradley Schlozman just "revised" his testimony: i didn't mean what i said...err (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/docs/schlozman-clarification/)...most people call it lying, but he's a republican, so it can't be that...Gonzales lied to Congress....and STILL no one has taken responsibility for any of it, they just point fingers at each other and lie...

and you won't hear a peep from Republicans on this board....too busy with their metal detectors at the park looking for WMDs, I suspect.

I dream of a world where citizens pay attention to their government....

Pitt Gorilla
06-12-2007, 01:47 PM
It's good to see the Talking Can taking an interest in good government. I hope it lasts into the next democrat administration if we ever have to have one again.What do you think should be done?

the Talking Can
06-12-2007, 02:09 PM
What do you think should be done?

and from whom did she take her orders?

patteeu
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
What do you think should be done?

I don't know what the penalties are for violations of the Hatch Act, but if she admits doing it then she ought to face the consequences. At a minimum, I'd think she'd lose her job.

go bowe
06-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know what the penalties are for violations of the Hatch Act, but if she admits doing it then she ought to face the consequences. At a minimum, I'd think she'd lose her job.somehow it doesn't seem fair to punish the one who admitted her mistake...

while letting the big fish with so-called faulty memories go scott free (think "i don't remember", "i don't recall" and "i don't know")... (think alberto and the gsa lady...

how can intelligent, well-educated people not remember any details of conversations about important issues that they deal with?

and if their memory is that bad, how the hell can they run a department in the federal government?

my best guess is that they're lying when they say i don't remember, etc.

where's the sheriff when you really need him?

"i don't remember, i don't recall, i don't know"...

what sheriff? i didn't see any sheriff and if i did "i wouldn't remember"...