PDA

View Full Version : Niners' Nolan gets permission to suit up at Candlestick

Splat420
06-14-2007, 07:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ers-nolanssuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Coach Mike Nolan will be a sharp-dressed man at all the San Francisco 49ers' home games this season.

Nolan and Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio got permission from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday to wear suits and ties to all eight of their clubs' regular-season home games in 2007.

Direckshun
06-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Awesome.

I like a finely dressed man roaming the sidelines.

It'll be particularly entertaining on windy days.

PastorMikH
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't quite understand this myself. I guess there's a dress code now that says "No Suits"? I thought dress codes were in place to keep a coach and staff from showing up in jeans and a t-shirt (or worse). I never realized they weren't allowed to dress at a higher standard than the dress code allowed.

Splat420
06-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Ya they put a stop to it for a while last year they would only let them wear one for two games which is crap IMO. I don't think they should be forced to but if they want to more power to them it makes them look like the boss which they are.

Buehler445
06-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I really like that the dude wore a suit for his games last year. I think he looked very very sharp and reflected positively on the NFL. I wish they would not only allow, but FORCE coaches to dress nicer. This isn't a smash on Belichick, although he is by far the worst and it drives me crazy. The NFL is concerned about their image problem, and to me this is would be a positive step. I understand it can't always be done, particularly in the start of the season when it is hotter than the devil's firey underworld, but if you made a stricter dress code for coaches, it would help the image alot, at least to this prude:).

It still amazes me that they made it so difficult for this guy to wear a suit, when I would be ecstatic if a coach wanted to wear a suit.

Splat420
06-14-2007, 07:58 AM
http://www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=72765470&partner=Yahoo&epmid=2

Buehler445
06-14-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't quite understand this myself. I guess there's a dress code now that says "No Suits"? I thought dress codes were in place to keep a coach and staff from showing up in jeans and a t-shirt (or worse). I never realized they weren't allowed to dress at a higher standard than the dress code allowed.

IIRC, I think they have to wear team sponsored gear. Typically, it is a polo or jacket and hat with emblems on it. I know the suit he wore last year was made by Reebok and had the emblem somewhere on it so the NFL would sign off on it.

But compare:

PastorMikH
06-14-2007, 07:59 AM
I remember Tom Landry on the sidelines. Suit and a hat. Not only was it sharp, but it gave the impression of power.

Actually, for a long time I avoided suits. But in the last year or so I've gotten some that fit well and actually am preffering the suit to slacks/shirt. Once I started wearing the pants pulled up where they were supposed too with suspenders I realized that suit pants are actually quite comfortable.

Reerun_KC
06-14-2007, 07:59 AM
I like a finely dressed man roaming the sidelines.

Okay Home grown that was a little to much information...

PastorMikH
06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
IIRC, I think they have to wear team sponsored gear. Typically, it is a polo or jacket and hat with emblems on it. I know the suit he wore last year was made by Reebok and had the emblem somewhere on it so the NFL would sign off on it.

But compare:

Ah, so it's about ENDORSEMENTS then. Reebok, Nike, Gatorade, Sprint, etc is paying the NFL to wear their stuff. I should have known.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Bunch of bullshit.

the Talking Can
06-14-2007, 08:03 AM
not letting them wear suits is dumb dumb dumb

Landry was iconic...

Splat420
06-14-2007, 08:03 AM
The suit in the link I gave is made by Reebok just FYI.

PastorMikH
06-14-2007, 08:06 AM
The suit in the link I gave is made by Reebok just FYI.

Interesting. Though in the realm of suits, one made by reebok would probably be more of an economy suit compared to some of the world reknown brands.

Deberg_1990
06-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Incredible that the NFL would prefer coaches dress like bums (Bellecheck) than to wear a suit???

Like someone mentioned earlier, its probably a marketing decision of some sort.

On a side note, ive mentioned this before, but our very own Herm Edwards is one of the most sharply dressed coaches in the NFL. He always looks very professional.

the Talking Can
06-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Incredible that the NFL would prefer coaches dress like bums (Bellecheck) than to wear a suit???

ditto

Reerun_KC
06-14-2007, 08:18 AM

Like someone mentioned earlier, its probably a marketing decision of some sort.

On a side note, ive mentioned this before, but our very own Herm Edwards is one of the most sharply dressed coaches in the NFL. He always looks very professional.

yeah Herm and Nolan, Take note of what a bum on the sidelines is wearing..... Dont you wish you could bow down and kiss one of those?

So dress up Guys, you might actually win something... ROFL

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Reuters_Photo/2005/07/14/1121351659_4116.jpg

Chiefnj
06-14-2007, 08:20 AM
I wonder which coach will be the first to walk around in a pair of crocs on the sidelines now that they have an nfl line.

HMc
06-14-2007, 08:24 AM
i thought "suit up" meant he was gonna be throwing on the pads and a uni

now thatd be wierd

Deberg_1990
06-14-2007, 08:27 AM
yeah Herm and Nolan, Take note of what a bum on the sidelines is wearing..... Dont you wish you could bow down and kiss one of those?

So dress up Guys, you might actually win something... ROFL

Look, hes a great coach, no doubt about it. But ive seen homeless beggars on the street with better fashion sense than him.

HMc
06-14-2007, 08:30 AM
yeah that photo above - who dressed him, paulie walnuts?

alpha_omega
06-14-2007, 08:33 AM
I wonder if Nike makes a good suit????

Deberg_1990
06-14-2007, 08:36 AM
yeah that photo above - who dressed him, paulie walnuts?

He seemed to favor this fashionable cutoff hoodie last season...LOL

Reerun_KC
06-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Look, hes a great coach, no doubt about it. But ive seen homeless beggars on the street with better fashion sense than him.

I dont care if Herm wears a dress on the sidelines. If he can win the Bling like Mr. Belichick, who cares?

Seems trival to me.. We are discussing dress code, Pats are discussing repeats and a championship dynasty....

Deberg_1990
06-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I dont care if Herm wears a dress on the sidelines. If he can win the Bling like Mr. Belichick, who cares?

Seems trival to me.. We are discussing dress code, Pats are discussing repeats and a championship dynasty....

I never said i didnt envy the man and his bling.

HMc
06-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I wonder if Nike makes a good suit????

If you can make one for less than 37 US cents then yes, they certainly do.

Reerun_KC
06-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I never said i didnt envy the man and his bling.

I envy those fans and their coach...

I would love to have him in Red and Gold....

the Talking Can
06-14-2007, 08:59 AM

wtf does that have to do with this thread?

Simplex3
06-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Ah, so it's about ENDORSEMENTS then. Reebok, Nike, Gatorade, Sprint, etc is paying the NFL to wear their stuff. I should have known.
Duh. It's about pimpin' the product man. The NFL is juicing every last nickel out of everyone they can.

jAZ
06-14-2007, 09:19 AM

But compare:
Ultimately, which coach leaves the greater legacy?