PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla...South Dakota Posters

oldandslow
06-14-2007, 10:06 AM
One of the largest oil refineries in the world is about to be built in Union County.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070614/NEWS/706140319

Thoughts????

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2007, 10:10 AM
It's one of THREE sites under consideration.

Personally, I would bet that SD is being used to improve the posturing for negotiating the conditions/contracts/incentives/local enticements.....for the other sites.

I'll be surprised if they actually pick Elk Point. Pleasantly surprised; but surprised.

Delano
06-14-2007, 10:21 AM
What I found stunning was when one Union County HAG stated that, "Our county can't support this growth so we'll be fighting it."

I also share the same fears as Kotter, although the guy from Hyperion on the news seemed very enthusiastic. With all of the ethanol plants around here, the infastructure is in place to make and transport fuel. That has to be an incentive, along with the other laws that make it nice to do business in SD.

oldandslow
06-14-2007, 10:23 AM
It's one of THREE sites under consideration.

Personally, I would bet that SD is being used to improve the posturing for negotiating the conditions/contracts/incentives/local enticements.....for the other sites.

I'll be surprised if they actually pick Elk Point. Pleasantly surprised; but surprised.

I dunno -- they have paid out a bunch of money for land.

I will be surprised if Elk Point is NOT picked. Low pop in the area - Interstate - Water Supply - 2 cities within driving range - it sounds like that would be the perfect scenerio for an oil refinery.

jiveturkey
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I didn't read the entire article because like everyone else on the planet I don't give two shits about the state of South Dakota but I am left wondering how they are going to get oil to the site for refinement.

Other than that it sounds like a good idea and this coming from someone that usually hugs trees.

Cochise
06-14-2007, 10:46 AM
30 years of demand increases without any new refineries? Crazy

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I dunno -- they have paid out a bunch of money for land.

I will be surprised if Elk Point is NOT picked. Low pop in the area - Interstate - Water Supply - 2 cities within driving range - it sounds like that would be the perfect scenerio for an oil refinery.

I hope you are right. :thumb:

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Build it already.

Cochise
06-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I hope you are right. :thumb:

Kotter, let us know if you would please, the exact moment that the sky in South Dakota becomes dark with environmentalist wackos parachuting in from out of state.

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Kotter, let us know if you would please, the exact moment that the sky in South Dakota becomes dark with environmentalist wackos parachuting in from out of state.
Heh. I will.

I'm sure they will come. However, this IS South Dakota. Tree-huggers are a circus attraction around these parts, for many folks (some would probably like to add them to our schedule of "hunting season"---between Deer and Pheasant season, maybe? Heh.) The business friendly climate can sometimes be a curse, but this proposal.....seems to be being pretty well received.

If oldandslow is "optimistic".....I'd take that as a good sign (for development.) :hmmm:

;)

StcChief
06-14-2007, 01:18 PM
30 years of demand increases without any new refineries? Crazy

Yeah thanks to all that knucked under to the tree huggers.

No complaining about gas prices now.

oldandslow
06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Heh. I will.

I'm sure they will come. However, this IS South Dakota. Tree-huggers are a circus attraction around these parts, for many folks (some would probably like to add them to our schedule of "hunting season"---between Deer and Pheasant season, maybe? Heh.) The business friendly climate can sometimes be a curse, but this proposal.....seems to be being pretty well received.

If oldandslow is "optimistic".....I'd take that as a good sign (for development.) :hmmm:

;)

I am not an "unrealistic green." I very much belong in the pragmatic green camp - my take on this is that if hyperion can build a "greener" refinery (as they claim) than we currently utilize, it is all good.

I also believe we should dot the south dakota skyline with a bazillion windmills. And that the state of SD should allow net metering for those of us who WANT to put up an individual wind turbine.

None of this changes the fact that WE ALL need to conserve and leave a smaller footprint. The deep greens are right about some things. The pro business folks are right on others - I suspect there is room in the middle to meet.

BTW - the odds of this company building here are 70-30. I got that from someone who knows.

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I am not an "unrealistic green." I very much belong in the pragmatic green camp - my take on this is that if hyperion can build a "greener" refinery (as they claim) than we currently utilize, it is all good.

I also believe we should dot the south dakota skyline with a bazillion windmills. And that the state of SD should allow net metering for those of us who WANT to put up an individual wind turbine.

None of this changes the fact that WE ALL need to conserve and leave a smaller footprint. The deep greens are right about some things. The pro business folks are right on others - I suspect there is room in the middle to meet.

BTW - the odds of this company building here are 70-30. I got that from someone who knows.
I'm with you---100%. :thumb:

Really. Although, that might be cause for you to reconsider....eh? LMAO

Thanks for the inside scoop too. If it turns out to be true, it will be win-win for a lot of SD folks. That's for sure. :clap:

go bowe
06-14-2007, 02:54 PM

BTW - the odds of this company building here are 70-30. I got that from someone who knows.70 that the project will be built there?

or 30 that the project gets built there?

mlyonsd
06-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I happen to live on the bluff overlooking the proposed site. An oil refinery is exactly what I expected after talking with my friends in the know.

There is an oil pipeline being proposed coming south from Canada that will go pretty much right thru the place.

I'm within 2 miles of the northern boundary of the project. (a mere stone's throw in this country)

I'm for it. Probably a little bias in there since my small 10 acres with nice home will probably double in value. That's fine with me since I don't expect to retire here. Too much work keeping the pasture, yard, etc.

They are planning on using the latest technology, parts of the plant will be run on power derived from hydrogen, etc. It could be a great experiment for the future.

That being said I think it is being built mostly for the demand side in that it doesn't do much for cutting our need for oil.

I still wish we'd undertake a JFK like plan to be completely off of foreign oil in 15-20 years. I'd like to think the 400,000 barrels of oil refined per day (I wonder how much gas that is?) will go towards large commercial machinery, not most Toyota's and Chevrolet's.

Unless of course they provide me with a "local neighbor" speed gas card that will let me fill up for .50/per gallon. If that happens the hell with the rest of you, I'm still driving my big pickup.

mlyonsd
06-14-2007, 07:46 PM
70 that the project will be built there?

or 30 that the project gets built there?This is the first place the company announced their intentions, only after they already have the options for most of the land.

Also, remember, SD has no state personal income tax. So I'd say SD is in the lead.

banyon
06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah thanks to all that knucked under to the tree huggers.

Yep, the environmentalist nutjobs all had guns placed at the skulls of the CEO's of the oil companies' heads and made them apply for only 1 CAA permit in the last 30 years. There's no way it could have had anything to do with an oligopoly attempting to constrain supply so as to raise their prices and profits. It has to be teh enviromental boogeyman!!!1! :shake:

oldandslow
06-15-2007, 07:11 AM
70 that the project will be built there?

or 30 that the project gets built there?

70-30 that it will be built here....

BTW-Mylon, I think I might now know where you live. Nice place. As for me, I am on Bluff Road (off 50, go north on 19, turn on first road to the left.)

mlyonsd
06-15-2007, 09:49 PM
70-30 that it will be built here....

BTW-Mylon, I think I might now know where you live. Nice place. As for me, I am on Bluff Road (off 50, go north on 19, turn on first road to the left.)

Holy crap. If you live there you're one of the rich ones. For some reason I thought you were in SF.

I live north of the cafe in a clay colored ranch facing east on top of a hill...is that the place you're thinking of?

I'd be interested in meeting for a beer sometime if we're that close.

Mr. Kotter
06-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey....oldandslow & mylonsd:

Any thoughts of making it to JazzFest this year? FWIW, I'm no big Jazz fan either....though I like blues, and really enjoy live music generally--if you haven't been, it really is a pretty good time.

Rob

mlyonsd
06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey....oldandslow & mylonsd:

Any thoughts of making it to JazzFest this year? FWIW, I'm no big Jazz fan either....though I like blues, and really enjoy live music generally--if you haven't been, it really is a pretty good time.

Rob

When is it? My summer is pretty booked up already.

Mr. Kotter
06-15-2007, 10:07 PM
When is it? My summer is pretty booked up already.

July 20-21

Here's the thread I started on it....a couple of folks are coming, and a few others might. Guess we'll see.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=163899&highlight=Sioux

patteeu
06-16-2007, 06:55 AM
I happen to live on the bluff overlooking the proposed site. An oil refinery is exactly what I expected after talking with my friends in the know.

There is an oil pipeline being proposed coming south from Canada that will go pretty much right thru the place.

I'm within 2 miles of the northern boundary of the project. (a mere stone's throw in this country)

I'm for it. Probably a little bias in there since my small 10 acres with nice home will probably double in value. That's fine with me since I don't expect to retire here. Too much work keeping the pasture, yard, etc.

Your property value will double as a result of a nice new oil refinery dominating the view? What the heck are you overlooking now, the nude sunbathing area of Rosie O'Donnell's ranch?

Or are you saying that the oil company would need to buy your land to build it?

Edit: I re-read your post and see the part about the oil pipeline now. Duh. :banghead:

mlyonsd
06-16-2007, 10:47 PM
July 20-21

Here's the thread I started on it....a couple of folks are coming, and a few others might. Guess we'll see.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=163899&highlight=Sioux

We have an iffy thing that weekend. If we can swing it we will. My wife loves jazz for some reason.

mlyonsd
06-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Your property value will double as a result of a nice new oil refinery dominating the view? What the heck are you overlooking now, the nude sunbathing area of Rosie O'Donnell's ranch?

That's just wrong. People in SD would run Rosie out tarred and feathered before they let her sunbath nekked.