PDA

View Full Version : It's done, Nifong guilty :)

pikesome
06-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Link (http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3285862&page=1)
Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong has been found guilty by the North Carolina State Bar for a battery of ethics violations in the Duke Lacrosse case.

The penalty phase of trial began Saturday afternoon. Nifong's punishment could range from a written reprimand to disbarment. He already announced Friday his intention to resign as district attorney.

With that, the long saga of what was once known as the Duke Lacrosse rape scandal is over. Nifong's conviction was widely anticipated as justice for the three players who were indicted in spring 2006 on charges of rape, kidnapping, and sexual offense.

In April, the three were cleared of all charges and declared innocent by the attorney general of North Carolina.

All three exonerated Duke Lacrosse players -- Reade Seligmann, David Evans and Collin Finnerty -- were in the courtroom Saturday with their families. They listened intently as the decisions were read but showed little emotion.

The bar's three-member disciplinary panel unanimously found Nifong guilty of fraud, dishonesty, deceit or misrepresentation; of making false statements of material fact before a judge; of making false statements of material fact before bar investigators, and of lying about withholding exculpatory DNA evidence.

Nifong had been charged with seven counts of violating the rules of professional conduct that govern attorney conduct in North Carolina.

As the first witness to testify in the penalty phase, David Evans Sr, whose son Dave was charged, described being "floored" when he heard Nifong tell the media that the players were not cooperating fully with the investigation. He descibed how his family learned of his son's indictment on Dave's graduation day, and testified that his son's job offer from the Wall Street firm J.P. Morgan was withdrawn after the charges were brought. He said he recently 'Googled' the phrases 'Dave Evans' and 'Duke lacrosse,' and that the search turned up more than five million hits. Evans said his son and the other players "stepped up to the plate'' and cooperated fully with investigators. He said statement that Nifong has now acknowledge "crossed the line'' of ethical conduct "maligned an entire team -- 47 players, their parents, their grandparents.'' David Evans Jr's grandfather died before the charges were dropped, according to testimony.

And in a statement that seemed to both echo and mock Nifong's deflated reminder on the stand yesterday that this case will be associated with him until he goes to his grave, David Evans Sr. told the court that his son, too, "believes that when he dies, people will say he was one of the three Duke lacrosse players who was accused of rape."

During closing arguments attorney Doug Brocker of the North Carolina State Bar said Nifong engaged in a "systematic abuse of prosecutorial power and discretion in the Duke Lacrosse case."

"Mr. Nifong did not act as a minister of justice, but as a minister of injustice," Brocker added.

Brocker argued that the central motive for Nifong's decision to prosecute the case was winning a tightly contested election for district attorney. Just after the first indictments in the case, Nifong won a May 2 Democratic primary by a margin of 3 percent.

In his closing statements, Nifong's attorney Dudley Witt admitted that Nifong made committed "egregious mistakes" but said his "was not intentional conduct."

Witt also denied Nifong's use of the case to further any political agenda. He specifically cited Nifong's lack of experience in dealing with the media and argued that Nifong didn't realize until December 2006 that the withheld DNA was significant to the case.

Nifong's nearly-30-year career as a prosecutor ended over the Duke Lacrosse case. During his testimony Friday, Nifong tearfully announced that whatever the bar's choice of punishment he intended to step down as Durham County district attorney.

"My presence as the district attorney in Durham is not furthering the cause of justice," Nifong said. "It is not fair for the people in my community to be represented by someone who is not held in high esteem by either the members of the community or members of the profession."

Nifong also apologized to the three indicted lacrosse players and their families.

But defense attorney Joe Cheshire dismissed Nifong's contrition as contrived and insincere.

"It's a cynical plot designed to save his law license," said Cheshire, who represents the family of David Evans. "It's a tepid apology ... far too little, far too late."

Nifong led the prosecution of three Duke Lacrosse players for rape and sexual assault. The case began in March 2006 when woman hired to strip at a team party accused three players of attacking her in a bathroom. In the months that followed, the case fell apart, riddled by a lack of evidence and an accuser who changed her story repeatedly.

From the early days of the case, Nifong was widely criticized for his handling of the matter. On Friday, Nifong admitted to many of the mistakes that had earned him nationwide infamy.

"I think clearly some of the statements I made were improper," Nifong said, admitting that his comments about the case violated the rules of professional conduct. "I take responsibility for the things I have done in this case."

Nifong also admitted that he should have given defense attorneys all available DNA evidence months earlier than he did. He added that despite her changing story, Nifong never pushed the accuser to explain the inconsistencies in her version of events.

Nifong can appeal the bar's decision.

If he were to get disbarred, it would take effect during the appeals process.

Once Nifong's bar trial concludes, he could still face civil lawsuits from the families of indicted Duke Lacrosse players.

Joe Cheshire, an attorney for the Evans family, said that he expects "excessive civil action" against Nifong.

If his license is suspended or revoked, Nifong loses not only his license, but his livelihood. It's unclear what kind of work, if any, Nifong will do next.

But wherever he goes, Nifong expects the words "Duke Lacrosse" will follow him.

"I will go to my grave being associated with this case," said Nifong. "That's okay. ... I took the responsibility on myself."

CoMoChief
06-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I just dont see how someone could actually apologize for something like this.

Phobia
06-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Goodbye, Mr. Nifong. May we never hear from you again.

pikesome
06-16-2007, 03:26 PM
It gets better, according to ABC's and Fox's web sites, he's been disbarred as punishment. It's listed as breaking news on the top of the page.

chief52
06-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Hopefully the snake is never allowed to practice law again...he has no morals.

FAX
06-16-2007, 03:38 PM
How the mighty hath fallen. I still don't understand his motivations in this deal.

FAX

Bugeater
06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
If his license is suspended or revoked, Nifong loses not only his license, but his livelihood. It's unclear what kind of work, if any, Nifong will do next.
Would you like fries with that?

chief52
06-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, that did not take long. This guy was so guilty they took hardly any time to "deliberate" his penalty.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/06/16/duke.lacrosse.ap/index.html

Before the decision was announced, Nifong's lawyer said Nifong believed he should be disbarred.

The disbarment quickly followed a disciplinary committee ruling Saturday that Nifong broke numerous rules of professional conduct during his prosecution of three Duke University athletes falsely accused of rape.

Bob Dole
06-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Every cent of his income for the rest of his life should go to the kids whose lives he ruined. Let the piece of shit subsist on Ramen Noodles.

FAX
06-16-2007, 04:23 PM
A DA from North Carolina
Prosecuted like he was from China.
But, his sentence was hard
For he got disbarred
And a month in the accuser's vagina.

FAX

jjjayb
06-16-2007, 04:27 PM
How the mighty hath fallen. I still don't understand his motivations in this deal.

FAX

Re-election. Typical politician. Putting re-election before what's right. :cuss:

FAX
06-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Re-election. Typical politician. Putting re-election before what's right. :cuss:

Going for the nappy headed ho vote, then, Mr. jjjayb? I suppose it's true that he could have garnered a lot of votes from folks who supported the accuser for whatever reason, but after the election, he behaved just as dishonorably. That's the part I don't comprehend.

FAX

WilliamTheIrish
06-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Lawyers judging lawyers?

He'll end up in a nice cushy job with a firm. Or better he'll end up anchoring a show on CNN.

FAX
06-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Lawyers judging lawyers?

He'll end up in a nice cushy job with a firm. Or better he'll end up anchoring a show on CNN.

ROFL

No doubt. He'll wind up like what's-his-name ... the guy that said he had never used the "n" word on the stand but, as it turned out, he not only used it, he liked it so much he recorded himself saying it 40,000 times.

FAX

WilliamTheIrish
06-16-2007, 05:13 PM
ROFL

No doubt. He'll wind up like what's-his-name ... the guy that said he had never used the "n" word on the stand but, as it turned out, he not only used it, he liked it so much he recorded himself saying it 40,000 times.

FAX

Mark Furman.

FAX
06-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Mark Furman.

That's the guy, Mr. WilliamTheIrish. He went from whipping boy to talking head icon in less time than it takes to subpoena a ho.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
06-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Karma is a bitch!

BigMeatballDave
06-16-2007, 06:24 PM
A DA from North Carolina
Prosecuted like he was from China.
But, his sentence was hard
For he got disbarred
And a month in the accuser's vagina.

FAXLMAO

WilliamTheIrish
06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I just got to digging around on a another site and found that Nifong is a UNC grad. Think that had any bearing on his overzealousness?

Methinks yes.

http://www.votebook.com/candpage.cfm?NameID=791&RaceID=320&County=Durham