PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs are on the decline.

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
http://sport.monstersandcritics.com/nfl/article_1317755.php/Line_of_Scrimmage_Five_Teams_on_the_Rise_Five_on_the_Decline

Five teams on the rise, five teams on decline.

Broncos made the five on the rise, and Raiders got an honorable mention (which happens when you literally have no other direction to go).

On the other side, the Chiefs make the five on decline, with the Chargers getting a dishonorable mention.

So, there you have it. And their brilliant reasoning on the Chiefs?
Chiefs - Kansas City's backdoor maneuver into the 2006 playoff bracket could end up being the highlight of the Herm Edwards era. As it stands now, the Chiefs are about Larry Johnson and precious little else. The quarterback situation is fluid, with Damon Huard kinda-sorta the starter and Brodie Croyle ready to be handed the reins as soon as Huard gets a hangnail. The offensive line is a shell of its former self now that Will Shields has joined Willie Roaf in retirement, and the top targets are a pretty old guy (tight end Tony Gonzalez) and a pretty young guy (first-round draft pick Dwayne Bowe). The defense still lacks leadership, and the team showed its desperation in that area by signing 34-year-old Donnie Edwards and former first-round disappointment Napoleon Harris to assist at linebacker. Oh, and a team that needed major secondary help added one player there - ex-Lions third-string safety Jon McGraw - via either the draft or free agency. Is it me, or does this ship seem rudderless?
So let's organize this attack, shall we?

1. Chiefs backed into the playoffs.
2. QB situation isn't settled.
3. OL sucks.
4. Tony G is old.
5. Dwayne Bowe is young.
6. D doesn't have a leader.
7. Signing Donnie was a sign of desperation.
8. Napoleon Harris has been a disappointment.
9. Jon McGraw is a third-stringer.

Brilliant!

Count Zarth
06-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I've already addressed this ignorant critic on the Mane. I'm sure I don't need to repeat it here. The "needed major secondary help" was the funniest part though. Oh, and his complete lack of understanding about our quarterbacks.

Easy 6
06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
DONT PRINT'EM!!!

DOOOOOOM!!!

The Bad Guy
06-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Saying the defense lacks leadership is one of the most uninformed opinions I have ever read.

JBucc
06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Well we may not like it but those guys at monstersandcritics.com usually know their stuff.

sedated
06-17-2007, 05:37 PM
the secondary's problems were due to bad DT play (and lack of DT depth).

this guy is a deuche

the Talking Can
06-17-2007, 05:42 PM
last year, even though we made the playoffs, we were a team in decline...old players getting older, QB injured, Roaf retiring, playing Turley and Black at Tackle, Sims and Hicks still on the roster...

we are now clearly and obviously in a real and honest rebuild, so the declining/rising issue really isn't relevant...

if we suck this year it won't be because were declining, it will be because of growing pains due to rebuilding...

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Well we may not like it but those guys at monstersandcritics.com usually know their stuff.
Yeah but these criticisms are absurd.

1. Chiefs won more games and won the tiebreaker. Simple.
2. QB position is Croyle's to lose.
3. OL sported two terrible OT positions and we still won 9 games, and came just shy of winning 10.
4 and 5. Tony G's old, Bowe's young, these guys are just looking to complain about the WR team.
6. Leadership on D is a joke. Jared's the soul of the D line. Donnie runs the LB core. and Law owns the secondary.
7. Donnie was one of our best signings.
8. Napoleon Harris is a slight gamble but is proven in cover 2.
9. Jon McGraw is a backup, who the hell cares about him.

Count Zarth
06-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Feel free to leave some comments on this dreck. I just opened it up with a salvo.

Logical
06-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Saying the defense lacks leadership is one of the most uninformed opinions I have ever read.

Fill me in, not being a smartass but where is the leadership on defense?

I think this writer has it pretty close, possibly slightly to negative but all in all he seems to have captured what is wrong with the Chiefs.

Bearcat
06-17-2007, 06:15 PM
I think this writer has it pretty close, possibly slightly to negative but all in all he seems to have captured what is wrong with the Chiefs.

You've been here forever... you should know by now you can't say anything bad about the Chiefs unless you have 10,000 posts on the Planet.

It doesn't matter how you say it... you have to be delusional to get hope out of last year's playoff game, and we aren't going to be very good this year.

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 06:16 PM

Leadership comes across the board. Jared's emerged as a leader on the DL, with Donnie in the LB core. I say Law's a leader on the field in the secondary but off the field he doesn't look like his head is ever in KC.

Fruit Ninja
06-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Talk about clueless as to what the Chiefs actually have. THey are far from a decline. I am not saying we are the next great thing, but we are not in a decline.

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 06:18 PM
It doesn't matter how you say it... you have to be delusional to get hope out of last year's playoff game, and we aren't going to be very good this year.
Other way around, Bearcat. You'd have to be delusional to see no hope in last year's playoff game.

How many INTs did we get away with?
Were we able to sack Manning, or not?
How many points did we allow in the first half, despite the fact we allowed 20 first downs?

Fruit Ninja
06-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Leadership comes across the board. Jared's emerged as a leader on the DL, with Donnie in the LB core. I say Law's a leader on the field in the secondary but off the field he doesn't look like his head is ever in KC.
Hehe, there is quite a few players that are never really in KC. Tony G bolts, LJ bolts, i am sure a few others do as well. THey wanna party like rockstars, i dont blame them. Imagine all the chicks they can be banging in the big cities. Can only dream about that kind of stuff.

chiefsfan1963
06-17-2007, 06:19 PM
this is not a SB team all we can hope for this year is we don't over achieve and go 9-7 or 10-6. Please take advantage of our draft next year and win no more than 6 or 7 games. Pleeeeeese!!!!!!!!!! We have all our picks plus extras!!! Let this be a rebuilding year!!!!!!! Pleeeese!!!!!!

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Well I just recall one time that Law even spoke about his experience as a Chief. It was following the Denver game at Invesco, when he got beat off an impossible catch by Javon Walker in OT. He said "I was brought here to prevent that play." Seemed like he truly cared, and I was down with that.

But I haven't heard a peep from that guy since.

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
this is not a SB team all we can hope for this year is we don't over achieve and go 9-7 or 10-6. Please take advantage of our draft next year and win no more than 6 or 7 games. Pleeeeeese!!!!!!!!!! We have all our picks plus extras!!! Let this be a rebuilding year!!!!!!! Pleeeese!!!!!!
Dude, you can get a killer record and still draft well.

That's how good teams stay good for a very long time.

You think the Bears just magically grow all those great DLmen?

Count Zarth
06-17-2007, 06:24 PM

He's completely uninformed. Since when does our secondary need major help? Since when is Huard the starter?

luv
06-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Begging for losses doesn't make sense to me, even if it means higher draft picks.

Fruit Ninja
06-17-2007, 06:25 PM
**** that, the day the Chiefs start tanking games, is the day i find a new team. I will lose all respect for any organization that does that crap.

What i wanna see is like the NBA the top 10 teams have a lottery.

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 06:27 PM
**** that, the day the Chiefs start tanking games, is the day i find a new team. I will lose all respect for any organization that does that crap.

What i wanna see is like the NBA the top 10 teams have a lottery.
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE DRAFT!

chiefsfan1963
06-17-2007, 06:55 PM
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE DRAFT!

absolutely!!!!! At least in 2007 that is. :)

Bearcat
06-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Other way around, Bearcat. You'd have to be delusional to see no hope in last year's playoff game.

How many INTs did we get away with?
Were we able to sack Manning, or not?
How many points did we allow in the first half, despite the fact we allowed 20 first downs?

Turnovers were 3-3. :shrug:

We sacked Manning once, and IIRC, it was a corner blitz. :spock:

2 more points than the Chiefs' number of first downs for the game.... 9 more points than the Chiefs' number of first downs in the first 40 minutes.

I don't care if we win playoff games with a great offense, great defense, or great balance.... but if you're going to take offensive football back 50 years, you better have the most dominating defense in the league. And we better pray, between our OLine and the 500 carries, LJ doesn't get killed out there.

DaFace
06-17-2007, 07:20 PM
last year, even though we made the playoffs, we were a team in decline...old players getting older, QB injured, Roaf retiring, playing Turley and Black at Tackle, Sims and Hicks still on the roster...

we are now clearly and obviously in a real and honest rebuild, so the declining/rising issue really isn't relevant...

if we suck this year it won't be because were declining, it will be because of growing pains due to rebuilding...

This hits the nail on the head. We're an improving team at this point - it's just that we're not as good right now as we have been in past years. We may not make the playoffs this year, but I'm far more optimistic about the future this year than I was at this point last year.

Ugly Duck
06-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Chiefs are on the decline
Heck..... thats what I've been telling you guyz for 15 years - and now you finally agree that I am right!! Its a glorious day!!!

BigMeatballDave
06-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Heck..... thats what I've been telling you guyz for 15 years - and now you finally agree that I am right!! Its a glorious day!!!And we are STILL WAY better than the Raiders...
:)

Cochise
06-17-2007, 07:53 PM
We don't need major help in the secondary in the short term. We have two young safeties who are the future at that position. We have two good, veteran corners who are contributors today.

What we need is linebackers who can cover, and we think we got two of those. We need more talent on the defensive line at all positions, and we picked up a few of those in the draft.

Obviously, this is a team in transition and is going to have holes, but it's not like they haven't done anything at all on defense.

chagrin
06-17-2007, 08:00 PM
The "needed major secondary help" was the funniest part though.

I thought we significantly improved our secondary, compared to the state it was in, especially safety - who is this guy?

chagrin
06-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Heck..... thats what I've been telling you guyz for 15 years - and now you finally agree that I am right!! Its a glorious day!!!

Oh no, Duck learned how to use the signature function - ARRRRGH!!

blueballs
06-17-2007, 08:09 PM
decline not DOA

Easy 6
06-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Decline???...

QB - We have our likely QBOTF.
RB - A 27 year old BEAST.
TE - An older guy who can STILL kick your TE's ass.
WR - A fleet-footed vet who is still capable of 1000 & 3 young guys bursting with potential, obviously Bowe heads up that list, but Webb in particular looks like a player to me. Besides, who wants a bunch of old WR's???
OL - 2 serious upgrades on a line that got us to the playoffs.
DL - When Jared gets back we will have a full compliment of nail-eating, ass-kicking linemen.
LB - One of the best crews in the AFC.
CB - 2 aging yet still capable Pro-Bowl caliber starters.
S - 2 lean & mean young men who will lead us into the future.

Yeah, there are areas where we need to get better...yet all but a few positions received REAL upgrades this year.

If this bedwetter wanted to make a case for us being on the decline, he should have made it in 05, because since Herms arrival we have infused youth into almost every position on the team.

Ugly Duck
06-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh no, Duck learned how to use the signature function - ARRRRGH!!

Unorthodox throwing motion, eh?

FAX
06-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Decline relative to what? 2003? 1970? 1985?

I agree that we have areas of concern, but Mr. scott free's post is pretty much on target. Our offense could rightly be categorized as declining from the record setting days of late. Our defense, however, appears to be another matter.

Actually, I would feel pretty good about our near-term future if I wasn't so worried about our offensive game-planning and play-calling but optimism is probably overrated anyhow.

FAX

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Unorthodox throwing motion, eh?
Dude throws like a major league pitcher.

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Turnovers were 3-3. :shrug:

We sacked Manning once, and IIRC, it was a corner blitz. :spock:

2 more points than the Chiefs' number of first downs for the game.... 9 more points than the Chiefs' number of first downs in the first 40 minutes.

I don't care if we win playoff games with a great offense, great defense, or great balance.... but if you're going to take offensive football back 50 years, you better have the most dominating defense in the league. And we better pray, between our OLine and the 500 carries, LJ doesn't get killed out there.
See, who's working the spin machine now?

You say that one would have to be crazy to see hope in that game, and look at how you react when I tell you where our hope lies. All of a sudden, sacks apparently don't count when they're off corner blitzes, and 3 interceptions and a 9 point first half against a dominating Super Bowl offense is nothing to be proud of.

You're allowed to live in your world. Just realize it's one with a cracked lens.

chiefsfan1963
06-17-2007, 09:23 PM
bottomline is we are not going to the SB this season so let's do what we can to be in the best position to at least be a strong contender in the next 2 years or so. Having 2 more strong drafts can be very helpful. Please don't give away any more draft picks these next 2 years, instead let's collect more. Let's build with young players from now on, and let's have them play no matter what.

Direckshun
06-17-2007, 09:24 PM
bottomline is we are not going to the SB this season so let's do what we can to be in the best position to at least be a strong contender in the next 2 years or so. Having 2 more strong drafts can be very helpful. Please don't give away any more draft picks these next 2 years, instead let's collect more. Let's build with young players from now on, and let's have them play no matter what.
You're pretty much saying what Herm's saying, so you should be pretty pleased.

luv
06-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey! Why don't we just forfeit the entire season?

To me, if we play well, then it shows that what we've started building with already is proving to be a solid foundation. We did that without earlier draft picks this year. We can do it again next year.

Mecca
06-17-2007, 09:29 PM
"Decline" I like when they use words like that when it's really just his way of saying what teams he thinks will be worse than they were last year.....His description is corny as hell however because he just took the Chiefs a team that made the playoffs and went into transition and listed them because it's an easy one to get right in his view.

Saying the Chiefs will have a worse record than they did last year isn't exactly going out on a limb...

TinyEvel
06-17-2007, 10:46 PM
If you rearrange the lettters in "monstersandcritics" you can spell "damn it carl, oh shit"

Not really, but close.

mikey23545
06-18-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm starting to think the surest sign of brain damage in a human is thinking losing a lot of games one year guarantees a great draft and Super Bowl team later on.

InChiefsHell
06-18-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm starting to think the surest sign of brain damage in a human is thinking losing a lot of games one year guarantees a great draft and Super Bowl team later on.

Here here. I'm sick of the "I hope we lose 12 games so we can get a really good first round draft pick" bullshit. I want us to win as many damn games as possible! HTF can people call themselves fans when they WANT their team to lose so we can get some kind of "savior" out of the draft...maybe...

...y'know, our last 3 first rounders have been pretty goddam good, and they didn't come early in the first round. Granted, we don't know about Bowe yet, but I've been pretty happy with our 1st round picks these last 3 drafts...and we didn't have to have embarrassing seasons to accomplish that...

HonestChieffan
06-18-2007, 07:11 AM
I hate when people say stuff about the chiefs when they are not blind fans first.

I love the Chiefs.

I wish I could tear the comments apart

I wish he was wrong about the QB situation. I wish he was wrong about Herm. And I wish Tony wasnt getting older. I wish we had something other than LJ.

Oh well.

Carry on

Buehler445
06-18-2007, 07:18 AM

Good work Can. I can support this by citing the fact that LJ is the 5th oldest (I think) player on the team. That was cited in another article. If someone has the link, it would be helpful I couldn't find it. Regardless, this is hardly the same team it was even last year. Its not like we have a bunch of geriatrics anymore like we used to.

As to the losing deal...WTF? That is the dumb. Even if we blow a bunch of games to get the top draft pick, what are we going to use it on? We have a QBotF that Herm is going to play come Hell or High Water. A top RB? those don't necessarily go #1 anyway. We need a CB and LBs really badly, but we would crucify Carl for an eternity if we picked a CB or LB with the #1 pick. Another WR? Half of those don't pan out anyway, and we got what appears to be a machine with Bowe. Out of all of our needs, I could see taking a monster LT with the #1 pick. DEFINITELY not worth blowing a season for.

Beyond that, if we start blowing games, there is no way in the devil's firey underworld can we get our young players to develop. You can say they are professional athletes, but they are still 20 freaking years old. Instilling a winning mindset in these 20 year old millionares is absolutely NOT best served by losing a bunch of games (see Detroit, Arizona, Buffalo etc.)

Fact is, outside of taking Manning #2 pick, the Colts kick serious booty at drafting, and they have been doing it while racking up 13-win seasons. Bears too, they have been middle of the pack for the last few years when they have been doing some monster drafting. Patriots? Everybody gawks at their ability to draft. If I remember right, I don't think they bombed a season. On top of that, I don't want to be a follower of the Raiders plan for success.

JMO

Logical
06-18-2007, 08:26 AM

I don't think we are going to have to try to lose games to end up with 10 losses. Play to win and let the chips fall where they will.

chiefsfan1963
06-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Hey! Why don't we just forfeit the entire season?

To me, if we play well, then it shows that what we've started building with already is proving to be a solid foundation. We did that without earlier draft picks this year. We can do it again next year.

We are not forfeiting the entire season we are just being realistic about our chances of getting to the SB. We should realize that a high quality SB team can not be built in a season. Just getting to the playoffs is not enough as clearly we saw last season with our abysmal performance possibly Top 3 worst performance of a playoff team in the NFL.

Let's build for the long haul and not kid ourselves about winning it all until we truly are a decent team.

chiefsfan1963
06-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't think we are going to have to try to lose games to end up with 10 losses. Play to win and let the chips fall where they will.

we're on the same page. Just keep our draft picks! All of them plus extras!

htismaqe
06-18-2007, 08:42 AM
We are not forfeiting the entire season we are just being realistic about our chances of getting to the SB. We should realize that a high quality SB team can not be built in a season. Just getting to the playoffs is not enough as clearly we saw last season with our abysmal performance possibly Top 3 worst performance of a playoff team in the NFL.

Let's build for the long haul and not kid ourselves about winning it all until we truly are a decent team.

As Logical just said, play the games and let the chips fall where they will.

We've had some pretty good drafts the last couple of years and we didn't need a top 10 pick to have them.

Sure-Oz
06-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Definetly last was a decline, we are now in rebuild mode and doing the right thing. Get younger now and build for the future, lets hope we got a QB.