PDA

View Full Version : Ratatouille - My Review

irishjayhawk
06-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Ratatouille has proved one thing. Pixar can take the most absurd sounding story lines and turn it into gold. Seriously, a rat that can cook and a boy who can't team up. It's pretty hard to get any more absurd than that and keep it at a PG level.

Ratatouille is very good. It succeeds on all levels. The voices were prefect, animation stunning at times, and the characters were well developed. In fact such a primitive log line was developed into a multilevel and multi-thematic journey.

As far as Pixar's past endeavors, I would rank this above Cars in both animation and story. I would probably place it above A Bug's Life. Toy Story (original), Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo are pretty much the Gold Standard for Pixar. I would say it's about a step down from those, over all. However, I liked it better than the Incredibles.

Think about it this way: It's got Toy Story-like voices (Prestige wise), Monsters Inc.'s inventiveness, and some of Finding Nemo's adventure wrapped up into one.

Rating: :) :) :) :) .5 / 5

JBucc
06-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Pixar can do no wrong it seems. I don't think this one will be a big hit with the kids though. My little brother has seen all the Pixar movies but he's not really interested in a rat that cooks.

irishjayhawk
06-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, it definitely doesn't seem like a kids movie in some places. And perhaps that's a good thing.

RJ
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
My 4 y/o is anxious to see it, she likes the idea of a rat who cooks. We do a lot of cooking in our house and she sometimes has involvement in the prep work so that's probably why.

Better than Cars and Incredibles is a pretty good review in my book. Now I'll need to get a bank loan for a day at the movies. Damn, and I just got Shrek the Third paid off.

sd4chiefs
06-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I think their next movie should be about penquins. :rolleyes:

luv
06-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm looking forward to when I can rent this one.

Mr Luzcious
06-18-2007, 10:16 PM
I think their next movie should be about penquins. :rolleyes:

Dear lord not another one!

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
And who runs/ran Pixar and is now the largest single person shareholder of Disney? anyone?

The Red Sea
06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Better than Cars and Incredibles is a pretty good review in my book. Now I'll need to get a bank loan for a day at the movies. Damn, and I just got Shrek the Third paid off.

The wife & I decided to pay for the tickets with Cash & take a loan out for the food.

Seriously back in 1984 or so I remember taking the then Not wife on a movie date...usually to the Drive in one of three here that No longer are running.

Tickets approx $2.50 car load $5.00
Soda $1.00
Popcorn $1.25
Snow caps $1.00
Possible baseball game in the back seat Free/sort of.

Total cost for a night out & hopefully a game $8.25

Now Yes I'm not a moron some things go up in price somethings drop BUT it Is very true Movies have gotten out of control.

Here localy now you can go to a state of the art cow herding elbow to elbow movie for the low ticket price of $7.. each!

K SOooo..
If I were to leave the two rug rats at home lets see..

Tickets $7.00
Super outrageous monster sized soda $3.50
Super duper piggie Popcorn $3.75
A biggie sized box of snow caps $3.00

Deff no baseball game in the theatre and normally once arriving home & the grand parents/sitters get telling us all the super duper kool stuff you see 24/7 normally anyhow you look over at the wife & she has a two minute Yawn going.
So after a 45 minute rain delay...
Game cancelled!

Soooo for only 2 people to share food...

1984 - $8.25 - Baseball game included!

2007 - $24.25 - Baseball game Cancelled!

When the kids go its Loan time!!!

sd4chiefs
06-19-2007, 10:31 AM
And who runs/ran Pixar and is now the largest single person shareholder of Disney? anyone?

http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/about_us/execs.htm

John Lasseter is the brains behind Pixar. He was on 60 minutes a few years ago. He is a super nerd but very smart. His office has a small door that goes to a special room filled with stuffed animals. I think that is where he comes up with these weird ideas for movies.

John Lasseter: Chief Creative Officer, Pixar and Disney Animation Studios
Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering

John Lasseter is chief creative officer of Pixar and Disney Animation Studios and principal creative advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering. He is a two-time Academy Award®-winning director and oversees all Pixar and Disney films and associated projects. Mr. Lasseter directed the groundbreaking and critically acclaimed films Toy Story, A Bug’s Life and Toy Story 2. Additionally, he executive produced Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles. Mr. Lasseter returned to the director’s chair in 2006 with the release of Disney·Pixar film, Cars.

In 2004, Mr. Lasseter was honored by the Art Directors Guild with its prestigious “Outstanding Contribution To Cinematic Imagery” award, and received an honorary degree from the American Film Institute.

Under Mr. Lasseter’s supervision, Pixar’s animated feature and short films have received a multitude of critical accolades and film industry honors. Mr. Lasseter received a Special Achievement Oscar® in 1995 for his inspired leadership of the Toy Story team. His work on Toy Story also resulted in an Academy Award®-nomination for “Best Original Screenplay,” the first time an animated feature had been recognized in that category. Finding Nemo, released spring 2003, became the highest grossing animated feature of all time, and won the Oscar® for “Best Animated Feature Film.”

As creative director of Pixar, Mr. Lasseter enjoyed the critical acclaim and box office success of The Incredibles in 2004. The film was recognized with a record-breaking 16 Annie Award nominations and several “Best Of” awards by The Wall Street Journal, American Film Institute, National Board of Review and many others.

Mr. Lasseter also has written, directed and animated a number of highly renowned short films and television commercials for Pixar, including Luxo Jr. (1986 Academy Award® nominee); Red’s Dream (1987); Tin Toy (1988 Academy Award® winner); and Knickknack (1989), which was produced as a 3D stereoscopic film. Pixar’s Tin Toy became the first computer animated film to win an Oscar® when it received the 1988 Academy Award® for Best Animated Short Film.

Prior to the formation of Pixar in 1986, Mr. Lasseter was a member of the Computer Division of Lucasfilm Ltd., where he designed and animated the computer-generated Stained Glass Knight character in the 1985 Steven Spielberg-produced film Young Sherlock Holmes.

Mr. Lasseter attended the inaugural year of the Character Animation program at California Institute of the Arts and received his B.F.A. in film there in 1979. While attending California Institute of the Arts Mr. Lasseter produced two animated films, both winners of the Student Academy Award® for Animation; Lady and the Lamp in 1979 and Nitemare in 1980. His very first award came at the age of five when he won $15.00 from the Model Grocery Market in Whittier, California, for a crayon drawing of the Headless Horseman.

DenverChief
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
John Lasseter: Chief Creative Officer, Pixar and Disney Animation Studios
Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering

On January 24, 2006, Disney announced that it had agreed to buy Pixar for approximately $7.4 billion in an all-stock deal. Following Pixar shareholder approval, the acquisition was completed May 5, 2006. The transaction catapults (Steven) Jobs, who was the majority shareholder of Pixar with 50.1%, to Disney's largest individual shareholder with 7% and a new seat on its board of directors. Jobs' new Disney holdings outpace holdings belonging to ex-CEO Eisner, the previous top shareholder who still held 1.7%, and Disney Director Emeritus Roy E. Disney who held almost 1% of the corporation's shares. Roy Disney's criticisms of Eisner included the soured Pixar relationship and accelerated Eisner's ouster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar

irishjayhawk
06-19-2007, 01:35 PM
On January 24, 2006, Disney announced that it had agreed to buy Pixar for approximately $7.4 billion in an all-stock deal. Following Pixar shareholder approval, the acquisition was completed May 5, 2006. The transaction catapults (Steven) Jobs, who was the majority shareholder of Pixar with 50.1%, to Disney's largest individual shareholder with 7% and a new seat on its board of directors. Jobs' new Disney holdings outpace holdings belonging to ex-CEO Eisner, the previous top shareholder who still held 1.7%, and Disney Director Emeritus Roy E. Disney who held almost 1% of the corporation's shares. Roy Disney's criticisms of Eisner included the soured Pixar relationship and accelerated Eisner's ouster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar

By the way, an interesting and entertaining read is DroidMaker. It catalogs the digital revolution in the movie business as well as Pixar's creation. Jobs almost canceled Pixar until he saw Toy Story.

luv
07-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Just saw it, and I loved it!

WARPARTY70
07-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Just saw it, and I loved it!
Me too!!!!

sd4chiefs
07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Me too!!!!

Me 3.

DaKCMan AP
07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Tickets $7.00
Super outrageous monster sized soda $3.50
Super duper piggie Popcorn $3.75
A biggie sized box of snow caps $3.00

That's pretty cheap compared to here. Soda and popcorn are at least $5-6 each and without a student ID tickets are $9-11.

luv
07-07-2007, 04:09 PM
That's pretty cheap compared to here. Soda and popcorn are at least $5-6 each and without a student ID tickets are $9-11.
Matinee showing here was $6.50. Otherwise, it's $8.

Mojo Rising
07-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I saw the 1st hour at the premier for free. My 2 year old only lasted an hour and decided we needed to leave. It was in a nice renovated theatre that serves food and drinks and has tables next to the large comfortable seats.

Without the nice set-up we would have only lasted 15 min., not an hour.

luv
07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
I saw the 1st hour at the premier for free. My 2 year old only lasted an hour and decided we needed to leave. It was in a nice renovated theatre that serves food and drinks and has tables next to the large comfortable seats.

Without the nice set-up we would have only lasted 15 min., not an hour.
I take it you didn't like it. I thought it was really good. Some good lessons to be learned.

Saulbadguy
07-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Tickets for 2 = $17.00
Box of jujyfruits you bought from Walgreens and snuck in = $1.00
Can of soda you snuck in = $.50

Jesus christ, why do you need to pig out when you watch a movie? It's only a couple hours. If you do need to snack on something, just sneak it in. Last week there were people in front of us that had Chipotle burritos they were eating, no one seemed to care.

Silock
07-07-2007, 11:49 PM
It was alright. Definitely not even CLOSE to the best Pixar film. Way behind Toy Story, Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo. Still a good flick, and a very good animated story. I don't think it's worth all the praise it's been getting, though.

Mojo Rising
07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I liked it. My 2 year old has a short attention span. This was her first movie at the theatre.

Deberg_1990
07-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Pixar is on a whole other level than most of the other all digital films of today. Even Pixar's worst flicks are miles better than dreck like "Open Season, Sharks Tale, Ice Age etc....."

I dont know how they do it, but they are simply amazing.

Silock
07-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Pixar is on a whole other level than most of the other all digital films of today. Even Pixar's worst flicks are miles better than dreck like "Open Season, Sharks Tale, Ice Age etc....."

I dont know how they do it, but they are simply amazing.

Ice Age and Ice Age 2 were great flicks, on par with Pixar, IMO. I agree about the rest, though.

Deberg_1990
07-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Ice Age and Ice Age 2 were great flicks, on par with Pixar, IMO. I agree about the rest, though.

I disagree. They were "ok" flicks...but nothing special.

ragedogg69
07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
just saw this. awesome. one of the great pixar movies. they can take the most retarded plot and develop such great characters.

Brad Bird = The best years of the Simpsons, the Iron Giant, the Incredibles and now Ratatuouille. the man does not miss.

Silock
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I disagree. They were "ok" flicks...but nothing special.

Great character development, great storyline, great animation, and they were funnier than any Pixar movie ever put out. Still doesn't have the "it" factor that Pixar movies have, but they're still fantastic.