PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwan on LJ and JA Contracts

afchiefs
06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Sorry if repost but life will go on

CHIEF CONCERNS
I spoke with Kansas City GM Carl Peterson last week about the issue of signing ability for running back Larry Johnson and defensive end Jared Allen. Peterson would obviously love to have both under long-term contracts, but I got the impression there will be an order to the contract negotiations. Johnson, the workhorse ball carrier, has been in attendance all spring and it would appear he will be first on the list. Peterson is comfortable that a deal could be worked out. Others with limited knowledge of the situation believe Johnson is only going to settle for a contract that is better than the one signed by LaDainian Tomlinson.

No one is suggesting Johnson is a better player, but he's close enough that a deal to make him the highest paid running back is possible. Something tells me the Chiefs will get a deal done and the salary cap space Kansas City received back when it traded Trent Green will be used to lock up the man who carried the ball 416 times last year. The franchise tag for running backs (average of the top five backs) is $7 million. Green was scheduled to make $7.2 million before leaving for Miami. So connect the dots from there.

As for Allen, the caution flag is up for now. But he should eventually be a Chief for a long time. As Peterson said, Allen is serving a four game suspension and one more issue he could be gone for a long time. The Chiefs organization believes Allen is doing all the right things to mend his ways, but the team is going to wait. Peterson did remind me that's he's from the 'Show Me' state.

Reerun_KC
06-19-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/boring.jpg

afchiefs
06-19-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/boring.jpg

This whole f##king offseason is boring. Bring on the beer and games.

crazycoffey
06-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds good to me.....
Lock down LJ and see if Allen can "show us" he can stay sober when reaching for his car keys.

Reerun_KC
06-19-2007, 12:19 PM
This whole f##king offseason is boring. Bring on the beer and games.

Amen to that! :BLVD:

Fried Meat Ball!
06-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I like the idea of NOT giving LJ the contract, franchising his ass in 2008 and letting him walk when he's 30 and likely has 2 more seasons of nearly 400 carries each.

eazyb81
06-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Am I the only one that is uneasy about giving LJ a huge contract? I have a feeling we are going to regret it.

FAX
06-19-2007, 12:30 PM
I like the idea of NOT giving LJ the contract, franchising his ass in 2008 and letting him walk when he's 30 and likely has 2 more seasons of nearly 400 carries each.

I endorse this idea of yours, Mr. Fire Me Boy!. Except for the part where we let him walk when he's 30.

After that many carries, he may not be walking at all.

FAX

Fried Meat Ball!
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I endorse this idea of yours, Mr. Fire Me Boy!. Except for the part where we let him walk when he's 30.

After that many carries, he may not be walking at all.

FAX
Then we'll just tell him not to let the door hit him in the wheels on the way out.

Count Zarth
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Am I the only one that is uneasy about giving LJ a huge contract? I have a feeling we are going to regret it.

What's to be afraid of?

Brock
06-19-2007, 12:35 PM

I'd let him leave after this year, probably.

afchiefs
06-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Theres talk of LJ holding out and not coming in till up to the 10 game. My question is if we fanchise him next year could he do that then.

eazyb81
06-19-2007, 12:40 PM
What's to be afraid of?
Well, let's see:

1. We would be pouring money into a RB, a position that seems easily replaceable, and

2. LJ could easily get hurt and lose effectiveness, which would diminish his value and his contract could become an albatross.

Count Zarth
06-19-2007, 12:41 PM
The Chargers made a mistake, then?

afchiefs
06-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, let's see:

1. We would be pouring money into a RB, a position that seems easily replaceable, and

2. LJ could easily get hurt and lose effectiveness, which would diminish his value and his contract could become an albatross.

I agree with #2 and totally disagree with #1. If its so easy to replace the 2nd best RB in the league why was I forced to watch the crappy RB by commitee for years under MS.

eazyb81
06-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I agree with #2 and totally disagree with #1. If its so easy to replace the 2nd best RB in the league why was I forced to watch the crappy RB by commitee for years under MS.

I don't know, maybe they didn't place a priority on finding an effective lead RB. Look how many teams now have potentially elite RBs - it seems like everyone has a guy that can be a star.

It seems like a supply and demand issue; if there are a ton of potential stars at RB in the NFL, why would we pay our the rear for LJ when we can get someone younger for a fraction of the price?

Spicy McHaggis
06-19-2007, 12:56 PM

I'm inclined not to think so. They paid a player who is unquestionably the best RB in the league and arguably the best player in the league. Tomlinson should be seen as perhaps the exception rather than the rule in this case.

I'm not saying not to give Larry a new contract. He's shown he can be an elite running back it and if the coaching staff uses him correctly he should have some good/great years left in him. But 80 million is ludicrous.

Count Zarth
06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
He's not going to get 80 mil. It was just a starting point in the negotations.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I am glad most of you clowns don't run an NFL organization. LJ and the Chiefs are going to come to a mutually agreeded upon figure. If they don't, next season or the season after that he will leave. He realizes how many carries he can potentially count on and will ask to be compensated accordinly. If it is not us, it WILL be another team. Personally, I like LJ and hope we are the team that signs him. I don't understand this "Lets give him a million carries and cut him when he is 30." What kind of stupid sh*t is this? You reward the players who perform for your franchise. At this point LJ has been performing his part for the team.

crazycoffey
06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
You know, last year, LJ knew he was going to be the main RB and he was probably one of the lowest paid at the position and he didn't complain at all, this is how we want our athletes to act and now we are all wanting to punish him for acting accordingly?

He was good by us, and now it's time for us to be good by him. He deserves it, he's a beast. Pay him.

Swanman
06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm inclined not to think so. They paid a player who is unquestionably the best RB in the league and arguably the best player in the league. Tomlinson should be seen as perhaps the exception rather than the rule in this case.

I'm not saying not to give Larry a new contract. He's shown he can be an elite running back it and if the coaching staff uses him correctly he should have some good/great years left in him. But 80 million is ludicrous.

Also, the Chargers tended to give the ball to LT in space so he wasn't always running into the line and getting the snot knocked out of him. LJ, on the other hand, had to run through brick walls for a lot of yards. Mileage-wise, I would be much more comfortable giving big $$ to LT over LJ if you're concerned about longevity.

shaneo69
06-19-2007, 01:25 PM
He was good by us, and now it's time for us to be good by him. He deserves it, he's a beast. Pay him.

Just like we extended Priest's team-friendly original contract and showed him the money after he had a couple good years. That worked well for us.

Pneuma
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Sign them both!!!

Count Zarth
06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Just like we extended Priest's team-friendly original contract and showed him the money after he had a couple good years. That worked well for us.

Priest was injury prone.

crazycoffey
06-19-2007, 01:33 PM

I understand you arguement, but I am trying to see it as big picture, if we didn't treat priest well, LJ probably would have made noise last year, and maybe even sat out until he got more money.

Same thing, hopefully for a Bowe, if he does well, and even is outplaying his rookie contract, I will think the way we have handled priest and LJ, then we have earned more trust from the players (to an extent. I know we have Allen to worry about, but he's a differnt case, IMO. His ability on the field isn't in question)

PS, I hope we get the priest thing worked out soon, retire, cut, etc. If he's not coming back (and I'm thinking he won't) we need to move on from him too, he got some free money to help him out.

Guru
06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Others with limited knowledge of the situation believe Johnson is only going to settle for a contract that is better than the one signed by LaDainian Tomlinson.

Settle?

Chris Meck
06-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I disagree.

There are maybe 15 guys who can really play QUALITY NFL Quarterback at any point in time-and only a handful that are great, and maybe 10 truly great runners among maybe 20 quality backs.

To top that off, among those 10 great backs, they all have different abilities and skill sets that need to be utilized in specific ways. Priest Holmes, for instance, fits what we'll do this season on offense only as a 3rd down type back.

I think if you let a great one go, you're dense. I think if you don't do the right thing and pay one that you've been using, it's bad for the organization in the long run. You need to take care of your own. You don't need to mortgage the future, but you need to be fair with your people. Otherwise, nobody wants to be here.

Pay Larry. Pay him a bunch, which is what he deserves. Pay it to him NOW and next season, and on an incentive basis afterwards, something like that. If makes his incentives, be happy. If he doesn't, try to fill his shoes.

Chris

blueballs
06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
the salary cap has risen sharply
since LT re-signed -8/04

Logical
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Theres talk of LJ holding out and not coming in till up to the 10 game. My question is if we fanchise him next year could he do that then.I think he could, but why would he?

Logical
06-19-2007, 02:36 PM

The Chargers don't over use LT like we do LJ.

Count Zarth
06-19-2007, 02:38 PM
The Chargers don't over use LT like we do LJ.

We had no choice last year. It was use LJ or put in Dee Brown and watch him fumble.

They won't give him 400 carries this year.

jAZ
06-19-2007, 02:38 PM
What's to be afraid of?
The potential Terrell Owens factor?

Count Zarth
06-19-2007, 02:44 PM
The potential Terrell Owens factor?

This is an absurd post. Larry Johnson is a high-character individual who cares about his teammates. It has been proven on numerous occasions. He busted his ass in New York this offseason and continues to attend team workouts despite the fact that he does not have a new contract.

You should be ashamed of yourself. You might want to consider making a public apology.