PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 6/19 (Good Read)

Coogs
06-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 6/19
Jun 19, 2007, 3:18:10 PM

HERM EDWARDS: “We have one more day left and it’ll be similar to what we did today. Basically, the last two [practices] have been structured for the young guys. I want these guys to leave with some confidence in what we’re asking them to do. We’ve simplified some things these last two practices so they could leave here with a good taste in their mouths of what we want them to do offensively and defensively.

“Then it’s a matter of going to training camp. Lot of competition will take place at training camp. That’s kind of where you mold your football team and build the toughness. There are a lot of players on this team right now who have made the all-short team. We’ll see how they fare when they put pads on. The great thing about it: you guys will see it every Thursday night on Hard Knocks (HBO) so we’ll see if we really hard knock anybody.”

Q: Are you pleased with the off-season up to this point?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I really am. Going into the last week [of OTA’s] you anticipate a bunch of the veterans aren’t going to be here. I talked to them and that’s fine. They know what we have to do to go to training camp. We’ll set our goals and expectations this training camp for the year. We’ll make sure we’re all on the same page.”

Q: Did you want Damon Huard to get a little rest today?

EDWARDS: “Yeah. The other kid [QB Jeff Terrell] has been standing out here for 11 practices and all he gets to do is warm-ups in drills. I told him the next two days you really get to play football. He was excited about it and that’s part of it when you’re the fourth quarterback. You’re not going to get a lot of reps. That was the case with Casey Printers last year until some of the other quarterbacks got hurt. [Terrell will] get to throw again tomorrow.”

Q: What will you say to your guys as you say good-bye to them tomorrow for a month?

EDWARDS: “The message is always the same for me. As a coach you always get nervous in the month prior to training camp when you let guys go. It seems like there’s always something that happens in the off-season. In our league there have been guys who have actually missed a whole season because of something catastrophic that has happened to them.

“I always tell players that you don’t want to be involved in something that’s on [ESPN] because you’re not playing football. Stay off of that and you’ll be fine. Stay out of the hospital and remember this: when you choose to do something there are consequences and you’ve got to make sure that when you decide to do what you do it’s not only going to affect you but it’s going to affect this football team, your family and it could affect your career. That’s something we talk about and I’ll have documented evidence tomorrow of what’s happened the last four or five years in this one month of the off-season. Winslow got injured in a motorcycle accident last year or something like that and his career might be over.”

Q: Since you started practicing a month or so ago have you learned anything new about Brodie Croyle that you didn’t know good or bad?

EDWARDS: “No, I think he’s progressing. We put him in a lot of situations in practice especially in the “hot” periods of two minutes and Red Zone and in third down. Now he’s going to have to do that along with Damon in competition. I think the first time you see that will be against Minnesota. We’re going to practice against them on a Friday [in camp] and again on Saturday and at the end we’re going to have a little scrimmage – actually a live scrimmage with the rookies. I think the pre-season will be a key for our quarterback position.”

Q: This being your second year is this more your kind of team?

EDWARDS: “Well, we’ve had two drafts. It’s no different than it was in New York [with the Jets]. After your second or third draft you start acquiring a lot of your players. There are 42 players going to camp who are rookies or first year guys. That’s more than half your football team. That’s a good thing.

“We’re more athletic than we’ve been. Now, we don’t have a lot of experience which is OK. The way you treat experience is like anything else. They’ve got to go play to get it. A lot of young players will play for us and we expect them to play well when they play. We just have to make sure as a staff that we put them in positions where they have a chance to be successful.”

Q: Have you gotten more guys on this roster who you feel match your personality?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I think so and in what we want to do and what we’re asking them to do in our system. That’s what you want to do in the draft: you want to draft your players. You want to draft players that fit what you want them to do, that have a chance to be successful. Now, we’ve had a pretty good draft our first year here. This year I think we’ve had another good draft. It’ll all come to fruition when it comes time for them to play. Some of these young guys are going to have to step up and play. But they’re ready and most of the guys we’ve drafted the last years have come in from big colleges and played their freshman year. That says something about how they’re ready to go to this next level.”

Q: Damon says he’s feeling the best he’s every felt throwing the ball.

EDWARDS: “Yeah, and he’s done a good job. Damon’s chomping at the bit to compete because he has a chance to be a starter. Lot of places he’s been he’s never had that chance. He’s gone in as the backup guy and now he has a chance to compete against Brodie. It’s good for our football team.”

Q: How much does having that experience help his chances?

EDWARDS: “It helps. He’s played in more games, but he hasn’t started a lot of games. Now, he started last year when Trent [Green] went down and did a great job. But it’s not going to be on the quarterback this year. It has to be on the whole football team and we’re going to have to do some things to help the quarterback because no matter who it is they don’t have a lot of experience being the starter. You know that so you have to adjust and don’t put the quarterback in situations where he can’t be successful. We’re going to have to play around him with all three phases of the football.”

Q: What are the changes from last year at this time?

EDWARDS: “Compared to last year our tempo’s a lot better and we’ve gotten a lot younger too. That gives you a lot of energy when you come to practice every day. The young guys want to learn; it’s the first for them. When you have a seasoned veteran and he’s been through a lot of these it’s not the same. I just think the young guys have created a lot of energy in practice.”

Q: When you look at the quarterback battle how do you balance the young guy who could be the guy for a long time against the more experienced guy who could give you better results early on?

Q: “You want to put the best player in a position to win games for you. Whoever that is will be decided. What’s great about the decision is that no matter what decision you make there are going to be some opponents who say you shouldn’t have made it. That’s what is great about athletics. When you do something everyone doesn’t agree. But at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter because as long as I know what’s best for the football team it’s my decision.”

Q: Do you feel like you go with the young guy if all things are equal?

EDWARDS: “I’m going to go with the best player, the best player that I feel can win games for us and win a championship for us.”

Q: Does making things simple help you to hit the ground running with the young guys?

EDWARDS: “Well, it helps you play fast and I’m a big proponent of playing fast. I learned that when we were in Tampa. We had a bunch of young guys and we didn’t ask them to do a whole lot. We said, ‘see ball, go get ball.’ Just play fast and they did that. As we kept developing our program they kept getting better and better. That’s basically what we’re trying to do here.

“I’ve taken over a program that was a veteran program that won a lot of football games. Hadn’t won any championships and hadn’t been to the playoffs enough. Hadn’t won a playoff game in a long time. I’m a part of that now. We got to the playoffs and didn’t win. So, I’ve got to do some things a little bit different. I’ve got to do things the way I see fit. That’s why they hired me. I think the players and coaches understand that and I’m going to do what I have to do. You can’t get caught up in what everybody else wants you to do. You have to do what you think is best.”

Q: Have the pups helped put a pep in the step of the old dogs?

EDWARDS: “The good thing about those guys is they bring energy and I can remember when I was a young player and those young players are excited about coming to work every day. They know that if you’re a young player in this program and you’re good enough and you know what to do you’re going to play. I told them that last year and a lot of them didn’t believe me. A lot of them ended up playing for us last year and the same thing will happen again this year. There will be a bunch of young guys play for us.”

Q: But the old guys…have you seen them stepping it up?

EDWARDS: “I shouldn’t say old, but the veteran guys. They’re excited too. The guys who have been in this program a long time – the Tony Gonzalez’s, the Brian Waters’ – those guys are excited about these guys. What’s good about the young guys is you tell them to run they don’t stop. They just keep running.”

Q: Do you have to have the right veterans for that to work?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, you really do. We’ve got some good veteran leadership here. Bringing Donnie Edwards back was a big deal for us because we knew he was going to bring leadership. Donnie Edwards is a guy who has played in the league a long time but still has young legs. That’s what you have to make sure when you bring in old guys. You play with your legs. When your legs are gone you’re not going to be a good football player. But Donnie still has a spark in his legs.”

Q: What are you going to do with your time off?

EDWARDS: “Going to [California] for my daughter Vivian’s baptism, play a little golf and get ready for that tournament up in Tahoe so I don’t embarrass myself. I don’t want to kill anybody coming off the first tee. Other than that that’s what I’m gonna do. We generally get about a month and probably around that 20th day I’ll get that look in my eyes and my wife will say, ‘you’re ready to go back, aren’t you?’ I’ll end up coming back early but my wife will stay. That’s just how I’m built. With about 10 days to go before training camp I’ll get a little edgy. I’ll be ready to go to work.”

Count Alex's Losses
06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
WTF is Herm going on about? Why does he continue to play games with the media in regards to the quarterback situation?

chasedude
06-19-2007, 04:14 PM
WTF is Herm going on about? Why does he continue to play games with the media in regards to the quarterback situation?

What game are you talking about? Croyle or Huard... whoever works out to be the best gets the starter spot.

Count Alex's Losses
06-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Q: What are you going to do with your time off?

EDWARDS: “Going to [California] for my daughter Vivian’s baptism, play a little golf and get ready for that tournament up in Tahoe so I don’t embarrass myself. I don’t want to kill anybody coming off the first tee.

I bet Herm is a real conservative golfer. Probably never gets any birdies but never bogeys, either.

Count Alex's Losses
06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
What game are you talking about? Croyle or Huard... whoever works out to be the best gets the starter spot.

Everyone knows it's Brodie's job but he continues to act like there's a competition. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion that Huard could start this season and probably play better than Croyle, but it's not the right thing to do.

Fruit Ninja
06-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Everyone knows it's Brodie's job but he continues to act like there's a competition. I'd say it's a foregone conclusion that Huard could start this season and probably play better than Croyle, but it's not the right thing to do.
And thats good. Brodie needs to know he has to keep pushing. I dont see a damn thing wrong with what Herm is saying.

Count Alex's Losses
06-19-2007, 04:22 PM
And thats good. Brodie needs to know he has to keep pushing. I dont see a damn thing wrong with what Herm is saying.

If Brodie needs all this coddling in the media he's pretty weak.

Chiefnj
06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
If Herm had any sense of humor he would have said:

Q: Since you started practicing a month or so ago have you learned anything new about Brodie Croyle that you didn’t know good or bad?

EDWARDS: “No, I think he’s progressing. We'll see how he handles things as soon as we can make the trade for Culpepper. Well, I gotta go. See you in a month. Bye."

HemiEd
06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
We said, ‘see ball, go get ball.’

GREAT! A new one, to go along with "you play to win the game" and "you don't try and outscore and opponent on the road."

ROFL

chasedude
06-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Why not? Coaches have screwed with the media for years... why change now? Anyway, I like it that they're both fighting for the top spot. I want the best QB representin!!!

Fruit Ninja
06-19-2007, 04:50 PM
If Brodie needs all this coddling in the media he's pretty weak.
I just dont see it that way. I just see it as, keep pushing. Thats all it is. People tend to do better when they are pushed.

CoMoChief
06-19-2007, 05:08 PM
There's no competition. Unless Brodie plays like absolute dog shit, it's his job.

Fruit Ninja
06-19-2007, 05:48 PM
There's no competition. Unless Brodie plays like absolute dog shit, it's his job.
I agree with you, but saying what Herm does still puts some kind of doubt into Brodie's mind. If he goes out n says hey, he's the starter. I doubt you will give your 100 percent in training camp. I still think its a good that Herm says that.

Count Alex's Losses
06-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Brodie's not one of these kids that has had everything handed to him. If Herm told him he was the starter it would probably just make him work harder.

bogie
06-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Brodie's not one of these kids that has had everything handed to him. If Herm told him he was the starter it would probably just make him work harder.

You'r probably right, but a little extra competition won't hurt.

Rain Man
06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
That’s something we talk about and I’ll have documented evidence tomorrow of what’s happened the last four or five years in this one month of the off-season. Winslow got injured in a motorcycle accident last year or something like that and his career might be over.”

If Herm had done a little more film study, we might've beat Cleveland last year when we played them.

SNR
06-19-2007, 07:19 PM
The other kid [QB Jeff Terrell] has been standing out here for 11 practices and all he gets to do is warm-ups in drills. I told him the next two days you really get to play football. He was excited about it and that’s part of it when you’re the fourth quarterback. You’re not going to get a lot of reps. That was the case with Casey Printers last year until some of the other quarterbacks got hurt. [Terrell will] get to throw again tomorrow.”
KEEP F*CKING DOUBTING JEFF TERRELL! :cuss:

Chief Roundup
06-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I personally think that Brodie knows it is his job to lose. And that he can't screw up or he will lose out on this oppurtunity and the Chiefs will probably go a different direction i.e. draft another QB while Huard gets to start for a couple of years.

Dicky McElephant
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I bet Herm is a real conservative golfer. Probably never gets any birdies but never bogeys, either.

Which is par golf.....par golf would have won the Open this last weekend. You don't play golf do you?

Scaga
06-20-2007, 08:18 AM

Bet he lag putts on every green, no matter what distance.

jAZ
06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Thank god you don't have any impact on this football team.

:shake:

You want Herm to create an atmosphere of entitlement rather than competition during the offseason.

To borrow a phrase from someone who just said something stupid.

"WTF"??!?

StcChief
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Best man get's the job. Period.

Buehler445
06-20-2007, 11:03 AM
You are all focusing on the effect that Herm trying to convince everybody that it is a competition has on Brodie. I would be willing to guess that IF he has his mind made up the media stories are to convince Huard to stay sharp. If he gives it to Croyle, Huard might go try to find another job with another team, or just quit trying and become rusty. I know he didn't do that before, but Herm may be setting up a safety net in case Croyle crashes and burns.

HonestChieffan
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
The great thing about Herm is that he is the last person alive who listens to him and actually believes him. The disaster will continue till Young Mr Hunt fixes it.

Chiefnj
06-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Herm is a smart guy. It is much safer for him not to name a starter yet. It doesn't matter how each guy does in each practice or each preseason game because he hasn't committed publicly. If he names someone and they do poorly for a day or two, everyone will second guess him. Herm doesn't want to deal with that. Instead, he can sit by and say "competition" every day until the week before the season starts. He's not going to risk being second guessed the entire month of August.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 11:28 AM
I personally think that Brodie knows it is his job to lose. And that he can't screw up or he will lose out on this oppurtunity and the Chiefs will probably go a different direction i.e. draft another QB while Huard gets to start for a couple of years.

Yeah no need to make any changes from the last 20 freaking years!!!!

We need to see if Brodie has the ability to play or not... We know what we have in Huard, which isnt much... no need to waste another year behind some ageing never was and let Brodie rot on the bench...

Play him, if he sucks and there is no signs of improvement... Then cut him and move on...

Count Alex's Losses
06-20-2007, 11:37 AM
You want Herm to create an atmosphere of entitlement rather than competition during the offseason.

No, I don't. Only at the quarterback position, where it's OBVIOUS.

This game is getting stupid. It should have ended as soon as Green was traded.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 11:39 AM

As much as I hate to admit it, you little dork... Your right on this... I got your back..

Name Croyle the starter and move on.. Give him starter Reps, starter attention.... Why the Freak do the Chiefs have to be so freaking pansy cloke and dagger bullsh*t...

Do what 99% of the other teams do. They name him the starter and work/treat him as such, develop him and move forward.

Huard isnt going to get it done.... Period!

pikesome
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, you little dork... Your right on this... I got your back..

Name Croyle the starter and move on.. Give him starter Reps, starter attention.... Why the Freak do the Chiefs have to be so freaking pansy cloke and dagger bullsh*t...

Do what 99% of the other teams do. They name him the starter and work/treat him as such, develop him and move forward.

Huard isnt going to get it done.... Period!

The Chiefs were getting national attention finally out of the Green fiasco, maybe CP is hoping that he can milk it some more. That and make "Hard Knocks" more interesting because we have a "battle" at QB.

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
If he gives it to Croyle, Huard might go try to find another job with another team, or just quit trying and become rusty.

Nope.

The ink isn't even dry on Huard's 3-year contract. He's not going anywhere.

jAZ
06-20-2007, 11:53 AM
No, I don't. Only at the quarterback position, where it's OBVIOUS.

You make no sense.

Without any competition, the only obvious thing is that Huard is the starter. The competition is to give Croyle the opportunity to gain experience and have a shot at the job.

Count Alex's Losses
06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
You make no sense.

Without any competition, the only obvious thing is that Huard is the starter. The competition is to give Croyle the opportunity to gain experience and have a shot at the job.

A shot at the job? That's ludicrous.

It's already his job.

Chiefnj
06-20-2007, 11:59 AM
You make no sense.

The competition is to take the heat off of Herm and to make sure Croyle doesn't look like a dog turd in live action.

Unless Huard has a boat load of incentives built into his contract, he knows he's the backup. He didn't test free agency and signed a backup deal.

jAZ
06-20-2007, 12:08 PM
A shot at the job? That's ludicrous.

It's already his job.
The only thing proven to date is that last time we played any games, Herm felt Huard gave the Chiefs the best shot at winning football games.

Croyle needs this offseason competition to prove he gives us the better chance of winning games next season.

And while it sounds like he's doing everything he needs to do, he's only doing it in drills and shorts.

Training camp & pre-season will decide who's the starter. Rightly so.

Count Alex's Losses
06-20-2007, 12:11 PM
That's a load of crap, jAZ.

The only way Huard gets on the field is if Brodie gets hurt.

jAZ
06-20-2007, 12:13 PM
The competition is to take the heat off of Herm and to make sure Croyle doesn't look like a dog turd in live action.

Unless Huard has a boat load of incentives built into his contract, he knows he's the backup. He didn't test free agency and signed a backup deal.
The only heat Herm gets is from those who are pissed he hasn't named Croyle the starter.

On paper (which seems to be where GoChiefs thinks games are played) he's going to be the starter. As GC demonstrates, Herm has every excuse in the world to do rationalize handing the job over to Croyle.

That doesn't make any coaching sense, but it would passify the only people calling him out in this situation.

By mid-way through training camp, Croyle will likely have earned the starting job. Personally I WANT him to have earned the job.

But unlike Tony G or in past years Trent G... Brodie has no all-star history to including in the starter equation. So he rightly needs to earn the job.

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 12:13 PM

Once again, you nailed it.

jAZ
06-20-2007, 12:14 PM

Like I said, I'm just glad you can't touch this team.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Like I said, I'm just glad you can't touch this team.

Jaz, You really want a 30+ year old never was starting? Why are you so scared to build for the future?

jAZ
06-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Jaz, You really want a 30+ year old never was starting? Why are you so scared to build for the future?
You missed this...

By mid-way through training camp, Croyle will likely have earned the starting job. Personally I WANT him to have earned the job.

But unlike Tony G or in past years Trent G... Brodie has no all-star history to including in the starter equation. So he rightly needs to earn the job.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
You missed this...

Yes I missed that...

I want Croyle to earn it sure, but I want him taking the majority of the snaps with the first string....

Chiefnj
06-20-2007, 12:22 PM
The only heat Herm gets is from those who are pissed he hasn't named Croyle the starter.

Herm doesn't know we exist or that Gochiefs is annoyed.

What Herm doesn't want is to name Brodie the starter and then deal with the same 100 questions every day "How could you name him the starter with his 11 QB rating last year and Huard's 11:1 TD to INT rating?" If Croyle has a few rough practices every talk show and journalist (except for Weir, Gretz and Dawes) will be bashing him non-stop.

If it is a "competition" all he has to say all August is "Lets not get this thing twisted. It's a competition, we'll see how things shake out."

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 12:27 PM

He doesn't WANT Huard to start. He wants Brodie to legitimately beat out Huard. If that doesn't happen, then he'll settle for Huard.

Personally, I think the best scenario would be for Brodie to win, rather than be handed, the job. Other than catastrophic injury, though, I wouldn't start Huard.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2007, 12:28 PM
‘see ball, go get ball.’

ROFL

jAZ
Herm doesn't know we exist or that Gochiefs is annoyed.

What Herm doesn't want is to name Brodie the starter and then deal with the same 100 questions every day "How could you name him the starter with his 11 QB rating last year and Huard's 11:1 TD to INT rating?" If Croyle has a few rough practices every talk show and journalist (except for Weir, Gretz and Dawes) will be bashing him non-stop.

If it is a "competition" all he has to say all August is "Lets not get this thing twisted. It's a competition, we'll see how things shake out."
Is that why he had Huard start every game Trent was out last year too?

htismaqe

ROFL

We're gonna have to compile a dictionary of Hermism's...

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Is that why he had Huard start every game Trent was out last year too?

There is a HUGE difference between a rookie QB who just got his playbook and a 2nd-year QB who held the clipboard for an entire season.

jAZ
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
There is a HUGE difference between a rookie QB who just got his playbook and a 2nd-year QB who held the clipboard for an entire season.
That difference is entirely theoretical until he displays it during a live game. That's what pre-season will allow him to do.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 12:32 PM
That difference is entirely theoretical until he displays it during a live game. That's what pre-season will allow him to do.

Keeping fingers crossed that we dont have to endure another season of Huard....

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 12:38 PM

Not at all theoretical.

There's oodles of historical precedent.

Buehler445
06-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Nope.

The ink isn't even dry on Huard's 3-year contract. He's not going anywhere.

Could be, but I think it is as much to motivate Huard as it is Croyle. If that is what it is at all. Hell, maybe it really is a competition.

Reerun_KC
06-20-2007, 12:43 PM
ROFL

We're gonna have to compile a dictionary of Hermism's...

Do you think we can get a sticky with the one liners on the top of page one with all the Hermism's?

jAZ
06-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Not at all theoretical.

There's oodles of historical precedent.
I'm not sure what historical precenent you are thinking of, but any that exists doesn't include Croyle succeeding in a real NFL game.

Everything else is theoretical as applied to the 2007 season.

jAZ
06-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Keeping fingers crossed that we dont have to endure another season of Huard....
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20061107/450election_cantwell_fingers.jpg

Chris Meck
06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Herm had Huard start because he had a veteran team, and he knew that it was likely this was that group's last hurrah. It was the last year of a 'win now' push that's been going on for...well...a decade, to be truthful.

Now we're going into camp with 42 1st and 2nd year players. You have to do what's in the team's best interest two or three years down the road, not right now.

I'd about guarantee you that Huard could put up a better season than Croyle, with a better TD/INT ratio and fewer mistakes. RIGHT NOW. That being said, we know what Huard is, he's a career backup that will be 34. It doesn't fit with a team of 42 younguns. What's the point, unless he's Brett Favre?

He ain't, and there is no point.

For the record, I like Croyle. A Lot. He's overcome a lot of adversity just to even play his last season at 'Bama. He's got a good live arm. He's been in a pressure cooker before, on bad teams with lousy lines. He never acted like it bothered him.

I decided I liked him in the Pittsburgh game, when he came in and threw that long bomb INT. In the replay, the ball went like 50 yards in the air, and when it was interecepted, Brodie kind of turned to the sideline and shrugged a little and grinned. The game was hopeless, he was just having fun. Might as well chuck it up there and see what happens.

I like his demeanor.

Chris

jAZ
08-25-2007, 01:54 PM
The only thing proven to date is that last time we played any games, Herm felt Huard gave the Chiefs the best shot at winning football games.

Croyle needs this offseason competition to prove he gives us the better chance of winning games next season.

And while it sounds like he's doing everything he needs to do, he's only doing it in drills and shorts.

Training camp & pre-season will decide who's the starter. Rightly so.