PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with DAMON HUARD - 6/19

Coogs
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Q&A with DAMON HUARD - 6/19
Jun 19, 2007, 3:13:21 PM

Q: Were you dinged up a little bit today?

HUARD: I was just resting my arm a little bit. Ive thrown a bunch of balls, so no Im good.

Q: You ready for this month off?

HUARD: Yeah, it will be a nice month off to get away from football a little bit, but stay in shape still. Its certainly right around the corner here at River Falls so Im looking forward to it.

Q: As a veteran who has a chance to earn a starting job, what will you be doing the next few months?

HUARD: Im just going to go out there and compete and do the best I can. Well see what happens. Im definitely looking forward to the challenge and the competition and just going out there and competing every day trying to get the team better.

Q: Does that make camp any different to prepare for?

HUARD: Not really honestly. Every year youre competing for something. Whether its to be a backup, to make the team or to be the starter. For the most part there is always competition. Ive been in this position before competing for a starting job or competing for a roster spot when youre a young guy. Ive certainly be down the road of competition and at the end of the day I think it makes you better.

Q: Are you looking forward to this camp maybe more so that other camps?

HUARD: I dont mind training camp. Its a time to get away and build camaraderie among your teammates. Herm (Edwards) sets it up the right way. It made a lot of sense for us with training camp last year. He understands recovery and we just had a really good experience with him last year and Im sure we will again this year up there.

Q: If you and Brodie Croyle have a even battle, do you have a gut feeling on which of you will be the starter?

HUARD: I have no idea. I think camp will unfold and things will play themselves out with preseason games and whatnot. I cant predict the future, all I can do is work hard and compete. May the best man win.

Q: What kind of factor do you think experience will play in the competition?

HUARD: I dont know. Brodie is a talented guy, theres no question. Just compete and go play. Well let the chips fall where they may.

Q: What are your expectations?

HUARD: The expectations are to go out there and win the job. Everyone wants to play.

Q: Trent Green didnt feel like hed have a fair shot at winning the job. Do you feel that way?

HUARD: I dont feel that way. From a reps standpoint weve all gotten the same reps. Everyone would love to find a young quarterback who can be your staple for the next 10 years. Might everyone be rooting for the young guy to win? Maybe in some ways, but this old guy will go out there and compete, too.

Q: What do you think about the makeup of this years team?

HUARD: Its a good group. Offensively weve got some serious weapons with maybe the best tight end and running back in football. Weve got an offensive line with some Pro Bowlers up front. You look at our receiving crew with Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker and then throw in (Dwayne) Bowe, a young rookie with all the talent in the world. We do have some horses and some talent. Then defensively too, weve got a couple veterans in the linebacking corps which provide some great leadership and production. You look what Donnie Edwards and Napoleon (Harris) have done in this league and you have to be pretty excited about what our defense is going to bring to the table too. And the speed we have coming off the end is pretty scary. This could be a really, really good football team.

Q: Do you think this offense will take one more step away from Dick Vermeils style and one more step toward Edwards style?

HUARD: We have our philosophy and it really is the same playbook and gameplan as weve had in the past. I think each week your opponent dictates really how youre going to attack them. Is this going to be a week where we really want to pound the football at these guys because theyre nicked up on the defensive line? Or is this a week where we feel theyre vulnerable in the secondary. The neat thing about this offense is that it was the flexibility to do different things each week. I think with our personnel we can really attack some defenses this year.

Q: Will your pre-camp preparation be any different this year?

HUARD: No, it will be no different. Its continuing to work out on your own and finding someone to throw the football to so you can keep your arm in shape. You cant just lay around on the sofa for a month or you get out of shape fast. So Ill stay on top of it. I probably wont watch a lot of film or study the playbook. Ill kind of get away from football from that end, but certainly from the physical standpoint you really want to hone in right now and get in top shape.

Q: Are you the best youve ever been?

HUARD: I think so. Coming off a year where I got a chance to play. As much as having confidence in yourself, its just as important that your teammates have confidence in you. From going out there and winning a few ballgames last year, its just as important as believing in yourself as having your teammates believe in you.

SNR
06-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I hate how they ask 5000 questions in a row about Huard's feelings on his position on the team. He answered that question once, don't make it more difficult than it already is.

Buehler445
06-20-2007, 08:32 AM
I like Huard. I think if he were 7 years younger, he'd be the starter. I just hope to God Croyle is Gods gift to the game of football.

Bwana
06-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I like Huard. I think if he were 7 years younger, he'd be the starter. I just hope to God Croyle is Gods gift to the game of football.

Good post and I also hop Croyle can step in and get it done. It is nice to no that we do have a decent backup in Huard in the event Croyle does make starter and happens to get hurt though. Should be a shootout in camp.