PDA

View Full Version : Color me confused

Gaz
04-22-2001, 09:46 AM
The only pick I even vaguely understand is Minnis.

Are we trading Richardson? What other reason would we have for drafting a FB?

Someone splain me, please.

xoxo~
Gaz
Befuddled.

milkman
04-22-2001, 09:53 AM
I'm been trying to be positive, but like you I am confused and befuddled.
I'm begining to think that we should've traded the rest of our picks for that used clipboard from the Rams that nap suggested yesterday.

HC_Chief
04-22-2001, 09:57 AM
I like the Beisel pick - the guy is a QB crusher. He has a motor and attacks off the edge... Gaz, you should be pleased.

The Layne pick confused me too - I guess either Moreau or Cloud is history: Holmes starting HB, TRich starting FB and backup HB, Layne backup FB. (?)

Gaz
04-22-2001, 09:58 AM
An undersized DE. Okay, maybe that fits with the “wave” concept, but Fatafehi was still available. Are we going to convert this guy to a LB? But if that were the case, why not draft a LB who has spent years learning the position and already has the instincts wired into his brain?

A FB. That is a total mystery unless we are going to trade Richardson, or perhaps move him to full-time HB. But if we were going to make him a full-time HB, why did we pay such a juicy price for Holmes?

I am not arfing here. I really, truly do not comprehend the logic behind these picks. Just when I think I am getting a handle on football, something like this happens and makes me realize I don’t know squat.

Any reasonable rationales out there? I don’t even require that I agree, I just want to understand.

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot wrap his brain around these picks.

AJKCFAN
04-22-2001, 10:00 AM
Gaz:

If Richardson gets injured, would Moreau have been our FB?

Don't have a problem with the FB pick, but wasn't Toombs available?

We do add a pair of DL and Bob Karmelowicz is a good DL coach to unearth the talents they have. Plus, it's not like they're from Arkansas Pine-Bluff or something. Last time I checked, Syracuse and K-State were legit D-1 programs.

I would like to see these next two picks used for defense, but if McMahon or Ward are still on the board...

milkman
04-22-2001, 10:01 AM
Beisel didn't do anythng to impress me in the games I saw. Maybe my focus was on Fatafehi so much I missed it, or I just saw games that Beisel's play didn't stand out.

Gaz
HC_Chief-

I am a Defense Homer, yes, but I want some logic to the picks. Biesel lacks the size and speed to be a dominant DE. We already have Hicks, Clemons and Browning at the DE position. IMO, we need DT more than we need DE. And if we wanted a DE, why pick an undersized one?

I am pleased at a Defense pick [as opposed to a FB], but I don't get why we picked Biesel.

xoxo~
Gaz
Feeling like a football dope again.

HC_Chief
Layne rationale(my best guess): with Bennett and Anders going to Washington, we're left with only ONE FB: TRich. Layne fills the backup/FBoTF role

Beisel: character guy; a tad undersized but has a motor and lots of heart. Was productive player on a very good college defense.

BTW - I think Browning will be moved permanently to DT.

tommykat
04-22-2001, 10:03 AM
Why would you think we are trading T.Richardson? Shoot he's a good player. They might move him around some but I think he has proven he can do it, more work and lifting wouldn't hurt though..;)

Gaz
04-22-2001, 10:04 AM
If Richardson gets injured, would Moreau have been our FB?

If we were concerned about the FB position, there will be a FA FB come June 1st. FB is one position I was not worried about. So we draft a FB.

xoxo~
Gaz
Obviously has no place in the War Room.

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 10:05 AM
I didn't have a chance until this morning to view our picks.

I like the Beisel and Minnis picks but what's up with drafting a FB?

DV and CP sure know how to confuse me.

AJKCFAN
04-22-2001, 10:08 AM
Another possiblity is perhaps a few of these guys have been used at special teams and could help bolster the unit.

Richardson is no spring chicken, as he will be 30 by the end of this football season. Why not have someone young, rather than sign a veteran FB who will cost more money and end up doing the same thing... which is virtually nothing unless there's an injury (plus play special teams).

I'd rather take the rookie in this situation.

HC_Chief
04-22-2001, 10:09 AM
I think we're looking at this from an incorrect perspective: we see ______, DT/DE/FB/etc. and try to connect the <i>position</i> with an area of(in <i>our</i> minds) need.

What I think I see developing here with these latter picks (and the signing of Priest Holmes): character guys - guys the media has been trying to tell us Vermeil so enjoys filling his roster with.

Gaz
04-22-2001, 10:09 AM
tommykat-

I am just trying to rationalize a FB pick. If we want a backup FB, there will be veteran FBs available after June 1st.

I am trying HC_Chief’s FBOTF theory on for size and I must confess I don’t like it very much. Why take a FBOTF when there are still good OGs and LBs on the board?

xoxo~
Gaz
Groping towards understanding.

FloridaChief
04-22-2001, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Gaz

[/B]

I'm sure were not trading Richardson, but this wasn't a position of need IMO; I'm kinda stunned, myself.

Could be for depth only, I guess...

FB: Richardson, Moreau, Layne
HB: Holmes, Richardson[?], Cloud

Gaz
04-22-2001, 10:10 AM
HC_Chief-

Okay, then how do we explain Minnis?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not getting any less confused.

RJ
04-22-2001, 10:11 AM
I don't understand some of these picks either but have a feeling that if we do some research they'll all have some sort of vague connection to the Rams or UCLA. Color me cynical this morning.

AJKCFAN
04-22-2001, 10:12 AM
Layne's stats can be found here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=33540

They're not bad, especially considering he shared a backfield with some guy named LaDainian Tomlinson...

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 10:13 AM
IMO we better start looking for a decent LB.

HC_Chief
04-22-2001, 10:14 AM
Gaz- MInnis is FAST... really, <i>really</i> fast. I read his 10yd (acceleration) and cone runs ranked him in the top-5 WRs. Explosive and can make fast cut moves (excellent attibutes for a slot receiver - something we just happen to be in need of) ;)

Charlie Joyner supposedly had a major woodrow for this guy - was nervous that Buffalo would snatch him in the third (after we drafted Downing). I am putting my faith in Charles...

milkman
04-22-2001, 10:16 AM
Gaz,
We may be a little hard on Snoop, myself included. He may be dumber than dirt, but some things he says seem to indicate he is cocerned about his image, and realizes that he will be looked upon as a role model, and hopes to represent himself positively.

HC_Chief
04-22-2001, 10:18 AM
1) His 10 yard dash time (fast acceleration) was the third fastest of those timed. It was faster than John Capel, Chad Johnson, and Freddie Mitchell. Most of the big name WRs passed on this test.

2) His 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drill times (cutting speed) were faster than Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, and David Terrell (well, Terrell only did the 20 yard shuttle).

You can view the times at http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/rankings/wr/index.html

Archie F. Swin
04-22-2001, 10:20 AM
is FB Dan ALexander still on the board?

Gaz
04-22-2001, 10:24 AM
Minnis is the only pick so far that I do understand. I was just poking a hole in HC_Chief's "good character" theory.

xoxo~
Gaz
Pricking HC.

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 10:25 AM
53 rushing attempts in 2000? I have changed my mind, he is so under used he should be well rested for training camp.

Maybe he was drafted cause he'e from TCU. Gotta have one of them Hornfrogs on the team.

Still really confused.

FloridaChief
04-22-2001, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Chief Red Pants
is FB Dan ALexander still on the board?

According to my draftracker, he's still available.

HC_Chief
04-22-2001, 10:31 AM
hehe Gaz, well, it's just a theory - and not a very good one (no evidence to support it...)

:p

Gaz
04-22-2001, 10:31 AM
Well, folks, it is time for me to go. Mrs. Gaz and I are off to the hardware store. We are redecorating my bathroom and need some stuff to match the new burgundy wallpaper.

Tres chic.

Have fun, y’all.

xoxo~
Gaz
Processing this draft information.

1punkyQB
04-22-2001, 10:32 AM
After going back and looking at the '96 draft, I'm not sweating this much. Who were Woods, Tongue, Browning, Edwards, and Horn when they were picked? There were probably better "name" players at that point, so maybe we should be a little patient here.

AJKCFAN
04-22-2001, 10:32 AM
Mark:

TCU went 10-2 last year. So that's 12 games.

Tomlinson carried the bal 397 times, which averages out to 33 carries a game.

That's 33.

Layne spent a lot of those 60 minutes in a football game blocking to make sure Tomlinson got a Heisman Trophy caliber, 5th pick in the Draft type of performance.

Tomlinson rushed for 2276 yards

Now maybe TCU had a great OL, but they don't exactly conjure up images of the Huskers O-Line for instance.

I'm banking on Layne being a heck of a blocker.

By the way, though he carried the ball 53 times, he was still 2nd in TCU in yardage and scored 9 TD's last year.

I like this pick.

Check out the stats at:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/teamstats/wac/tta.html

Luzap
04-22-2001, 10:34 AM
Just before signing off yesterday, ESPN said that the Chiefs will be looking to fill two areas of need early on Sunday.

LB and FB.

I thought I'd misheard the second position, but apparently this is a planned, strategized move.

Luz
having faith in my team...

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 10:41 AM
AJK,

I know, I usually pout when I don't get my way. (Still want a LB).

Actually he had 11 receptions in 2000 as well. My guess is that played a part in him being selected by DV.

I agree he could turn out to be a good pick, but I wish we were building our defense a little better at this point in the draft.

Besides, I still like the idea of having a Horned frog on the team.

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 10:43 AM
Luz has given me knew hope I'll get my LB with the next pick.

Cormac
04-22-2001, 10:57 AM
Alex Bannister (WR) - another EXCELLENT pick-up. :(

Meanwhile we pick up Billy Baber - a much needed TE....:rolleyes:

milkman
04-22-2001, 11:01 AM
I'm just laughig now. A TE?!?!?!?
I'm glad the Chiefs braintrust is so cocerned about the D.

HC_Chief
04-22-2001, 11:25 AM
A TE and a RB?

Huh...wha...???

old_geezer
04-22-2001, 12:53 PM
HC_Chief

Right now I see the glass as cracked and in need of repair. It was full but half the water has run out already.

I haven't got a clue as to what the Chiefs are trying to accomplish with these picks. :confused:

hawaiianboy
04-22-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Gaz
The only pick I even vaguely understand is Minnis.

xoxo~
Gaz
Befuddled.

I don't really know your FB situation (since you tend to play them at HB, hehe).... but you'll love this kid..
he's a Maz-like whack job, that blocks like a bowling ball and has good hands... To be the FB in an option offense, you have to be 1] nuts and 2] tough...
I know theres always a heavy K-State sentiment here, but with all due respect to Moran Norris, this kid is a better player, the best natural FB in the draft IMO... (I view Heath Evans as a combo back)...

Trust me, you'll like this guy....

I can't explain Snoop... I think he's highly overrated... you'll regret passing on Milton Wynn, Kasper and Rambo for him, JMHO.