PDA

View Full Version : Just what I thought we needed, a TE.

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 12:00 PM
Maybe we'll convert him to LB.

Cormac
04-22-2001, 12:02 PM
It's really funny (in a sick kind of way). In a time when you need to keep 90% of your draftees just to fill out your roster, not to mention contend for a championship, we add a player to the most loaded position - TE.

Makes you wonder.......

AJKCFAN
04-22-2001, 12:04 PM
Yeah, this is a mystery, even to me.

I'll try to play devil's advocate here.

Gonzalez suffers a long-term inury, who do we have?

Dunn and then what?

Drayton is still a Chief? (Is he?) That XFL guy Mark Thomas?

The one thing Baber is said to have is good hands, but he was also drafted by the Florida Marlins in baseball, so we may have competition to land his services.

AJKCFAN
04-22-2001, 12:08 PM
Baber is listed as the 4th best TE on the board, according to Kiper.

Perhaps this means the Chiefs have adapted a "Best Player Available" method to their philosophy...

Cormac
04-22-2001, 12:11 PM
I guess by the 5th round many teams look for the BAA. But when you don't have a pick til the 3rd round, it'd be nice to still pick for need in our case. I can't understand how Baber fills a need, injury or not. Our receiving corps is still a strong point even without Gonzo. Dunn could fill in on his own (to a much lesser degree) if you ask me.

Was Baber the BAA?

FloridaChief
04-22-2001, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AJKCFAN
who do we have?

At Tight End:

Gonzalez
Drayton
Dunn
Gammon
Pete Muther
Mark Thomas

And now this new guy.

Inexplicable...

1punkyQB
04-22-2001, 12:13 PM
He was Kiper's 4th best TE(Layne was his 5th FB), for what that's worth. Thought we had interest in Derrick Blaylock? Isn't this where he's projected to go?

milkman
04-22-2001, 12:14 PM
"Inexplicable"
That wrd could be used to describe this entire Chiefs draft.

Cormac
04-22-2001, 12:14 PM
As QB just pointed out, Kiper rated him 4th among TEs saying:

4. Billy Baber, Virginia -- Presents some real possibilities as a pass-catching option, presenting a nice target while also showing the body control necessary to adjust to the poorly thrown ball. In-line blocking skills should also be adequate, making Baber a fast (4.73), experienced pass-catching TE who could emerge as a key contributor in the NFL.

~still confused though....

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 12:16 PM
Quote from DraftTracker:

Negatives: Lacks functional football strength and power as a blocker.

Positives: Good all-around athlete. Has nice, soft hands and very good hand-eye coordination. Can snatch the ball with his hands. Tries to block and will show some bulldog determination at times.

Glad to see he tries to block sometimes.

Logical
04-22-2001, 12:24 PM
Milkman

What other word could be used to describe this draft:

F*cKed

Would be my word, just another nail in the coffin to explain why not having a 2nd rounder does not matter to me. We would have just used a 2nd rounder on a Punter or some other F*cked up choice.

milkman
04-22-2001, 12:26 PM
At least I understand Blaylock. But how many defensive players have we selected, 2?
McMahan to the Lions, 1 pick before the Chiefs.
I suppose this means we'll take Heupel in the 6th.

Logical
04-22-2001, 12:37 PM
Milkman

What other word could be used to describe this draft:

F*cKed

Would be my word, just another nail in the coffin to explain why not having a 2nd rounder does not matter to me. We would have just used a 2nd rounder on a Punter or some other F*cked up choice.

milkman
04-22-2001, 12:37 PM
At least I understand Blaylock. But how many defensive players have we selected, 2?
McMahan to the Lions, 1 pick before the Chiefs.
I suppose this means we'll take Heupel in the 6th.

milkman
04-22-2001, 01:35 PM
Just remember, everybody is excited about VD. This is his draft.
To me, it just adds to my belief that the Rams brass had more to do with putting the talent together in STL than VD.

stevieray
04-22-2001, 01:38 PM
these picks are for ST'S?

milkman
04-22-2001, 01:42 PM
That's great stevie, but damn it, we needed to draft defensive help. Those picks could have helped STs as well.

Archie F. Swin
04-22-2001, 01:54 PM
I guess the Chiefs are firm believers in that whole 'Dont draft for need' thing

stevieray
04-22-2001, 01:55 PM
What area of the defense do you think needs the most help?

Do Atkins and Stills finally get to play?

milkman
04-22-2001, 02:01 PM
DT and LB.
I'm hoping that Downing is more than we know. But there were other players at these positions available when the Chiefs picked in 4 and 5.

stevieray
04-22-2001, 02:05 PM
I'll give you the Lb's...Bush and Patton worry me.

If Downing pans out, push JB down to end, use the rotation...we'll be ok...last picks...?

milkman
04-22-2001, 02:14 PM
Picking TEs and FBs is a waste. We have players there.
Gonzo, Dunn, Gammon, Thomas
T-Rich, Moreau.
One of the things that the Chiefs liked so much about Moreau was his blocking ability.
Again, wasted picks.

old_geezer
04-22-2001, 03:28 PM
This pick is the one that snaped my good nature. For heaven's sake, we signed a TE from the XFL not too long ago. How many TE's do we have on our roster now, 5 or 6 ?
The only way this makes sense is if the Chiefs plan on releasing or trading Tony G. I really don't think that is going to happen so I'm mystified. :confused:

kcred
04-22-2001, 03:34 PM
I thought we needed defensive players, moreso than offense. But if you look at our depth chart, we only had 4 backs on the roster, so the FB and RB, are understandable. The TE is confusing, but he was the 4th highest TE rated, he looks like a receiving type TE, in the mold of TG. I do not think this signals the demise of Tony, or his leaving. I do think he will back up TG in case of injury.

CanadaKC
04-22-2001, 03:47 PM
How much you wanna bet we take that kicker from Wisconsin with our last pick in the seventh round?
Visetsky? (Rhymes with Gretzky..heh-heh).

hitman3283
04-22-2001, 03:49 PM
this is what I mean why are they drafting and signing Tight Ends, the only thing I can think of is that interview Tony gave on the Rome show now I didnt see it, but some say it was taken out of context others say it wasn't this might be what's going oon in the chiefs front office, did any of you guys see the interview, if so what did he say

CanadaKC
04-22-2001, 03:52 PM
Hitman...read my thread in the eggs/basket post.
That's where I think Gonzo stands, wht do you think?

CanadaKC
04-22-2001, 03:54 PM
Or should I say my post in the eggs/basket thread!

hitman3283
04-22-2001, 03:57 PM
I hope your right I hope Tony likes what he sees and decides to stay, but if what he said on Rome is true(whch he said that he would like to got to the west coast like cali, and explore Free Agency) than I don't know what is going to happen

CanadaKC
04-22-2001, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, a player in Gonzalez' caliber will dictate where he plays for, despite the tag and/or arguments to the contrary. He's just too good of a player and a great draw to any team, promotional or otherwise.
That being said, I believe Gonzo to be a man of integrity,
and if he isn't swept up in the "A-Rod like" hype that's sure to follow him next year, he'll stay and help the Chiefs win a Superbowl. Let's just pray he doesn't let his agent dictate his every move.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2001, 05:18 PM
I truly can't believe you guys are down on this draft! No one has even hit the field yet! This is the SAME EXACT THING AS LAST YEAR! You guys all said the Chiefs could have waited on Bartee, Who the hell is Greg Wesley?, Pat Dennis? Blah, blah, blah! The Chiefs have had pitiful special teams in the past 3 years, and after the purge of players this offseason, they'll need guys that will do anything! As far as tight end, Jason Dunn hasn't been healthy since the 1997 season, Drayton was a disappointment, Kendal Gammon is the long snapper and the other guys are just guys! Remember, the Chiefs can carry 80 players until mid-August. The guys who are drafted that don't make the team will go on the 5 man practice squad. Chill out guys - everything's okay!

hitman3283
04-22-2001, 06:42 PM
Guys I want a straight up answer if anyone knows the answer, what exactly was said during the Rome interview with Tony Gonzalez, did he say he wanted to leave or not, was it taken out of context? I would really like an anwer, but only if you saw ht einterview, or heard about it.

milkman
04-22-2001, 08:42 PM
Hitman,
you're mot going to get his exact words, because what he said wasn't all that remarkable. It was your basic generic answer to a question asked about FA, which is a year away.
He didn't say he was definitely going to hit the FA market, and said he likes playing for KC, and he likes living on the west coast, because that is where he grew up. Just your basic non-committal type answer.
If you're looking for an exact quote, don't hold your breath. It was a month and a half or 2 months ago. Nobody remembers, because it just wasn't all that important.