PDA

View Full Version : Ice Road Truckers

Donger
06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Anyone else watching this? These men are insane...

KcMizzou
06-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Watching "After the Catch" atm. What channel's your show on?

Bugeater
06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Hitler Channel. It's almost over though.

Donger
06-19-2007, 08:55 PM

The History Channel.

The History Channel embarks upon an unparalleled adventure revealing the virtually unknown occupation of ice road trucking, considered to be one of the world's most dangerous jobs. ICE ROAD TRUCKERS charts two months in the lives of six extraordinary men who haul vital supplies to diamond mines over frozen lakes that double as roads. The livelihood of many depends on these tenuous roads, which through the years have been responsible for the deaths of dozens of men.

Always prepared for the ice to give way under the weight of their trucks, these drivers put their lives and financial security of their families on the line in an exhilarating dash for cash. Beginning Sunday, June 17 at 10pm ET/PT, this adrenaline packed series reveals the raw, gripping quest of ice road truckers.

The desolate white landscape stretches as far as the eye can see in a world where the land meets the sky at an invisible horizon, just miles from the Arctic Circle. The fascinating, yet little-known ice road trucking industry, stationed just outside of Yellowknife in Canada's Northwest Territory, is responsible for supporting the diamond mines there. Canada now stands as the third largest diamond producer in the world, housing an industry that rakes in $1.9 billion a year.

Each year, the many lakes of this region completely freeze over and engineers build an ice road over them that can withstand the weight of tractor trailers, hopefully. Jackknifing, breakdowns and accidents are commonplace. Last year, because of the effects of global warming, the ice road was closed early, leaving hundreds of tons of supplies stuck at the dispatch station. Since the terrain in this region is virtually impenetrable, and there are so few paved roads, the only way for supplies to reach the mines is by traveling over the ice road. The entire industry depends on the weather and the courage of the ice road truckers, who are willing to push themselves to the limit and who constantly hear the cracking of the ice right beneath their wheels.

Executive Producers for The History Channel are David McKillop and Dolores Gavin. ICE ROAD TRUCKERS is produced by Original Productions. Executive Producers for Original Productions are Thom Beers and Philip Segal.

scott free
06-19-2007, 08:59 PM
The History Channel.

The History Channel embarks upon an unparalleled adventure revealing the virtually unknown occupation of ice road trucking, considered to be one of the world's most dangerous jobs. ICE ROAD TRUCKERS charts two months in the lives of six extraordinary men who haul vital supplies to diamond mines over frozen lakes that double as roads. The livelihood of many depends on these tenuous roads, which through the years have been responsible for the deaths of dozens of men.

Always prepared for the ice to give way under the weight of their trucks, these drivers put their lives and financial security of their families on the line in an exhilarating dash for cash. Beginning Sunday, June 17 at 10pm ET/PT, this adrenaline packed series reveals the raw, gripping quest of ice road truckers.

The desolate white landscape stretches as far as the eye can see in a world where the land meets the sky at an invisible horizon, just miles from the Arctic Circle. The fascinating, yet little-known ice road trucking industry, stationed just outside of Yellowknife in Canada's Northwest Territory, is responsible for supporting the diamond mines there. Canada now stands as the third largest diamond producer in the world, housing an industry that rakes in $1.9 billion a year.

Each year, the many lakes of this region completely freeze over and engineers build an ice road over them that can withstand the weight of tractor trailers, hopefully. Jackknifing, breakdowns and accidents are commonplace. Last year, because of the effects of global warming, the ice road was closed early, leaving hundreds of tons of supplies stuck at the dispatch station. Since the terrain in this region is virtually impenetrable, and there are so few paved roads, the only way for supplies to reach the mines is by traveling over the ice road. The entire industry depends on the weather and the courage of the ice road truckers, who are willing to push themselves to the limit and who constantly hear the cracking of the ice right beneath their wheels.

Executive Producers for The History Channel are David McKillop and Dolores Gavin. ICE ROAD TRUCKERS is produced by Original Productions. Executive Producers for Original Productions are Thom Beers and Philip Segal.

Thom Beers is really cornering the market on these kinds of shows, he's also one of the producers of "Deadliest Catch".

KcMizzou
06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Thom Beers is really cornering the market on these kinds of shows, he's also one of the producers of "Deadliest Catch".
Yeah, I was just watching "After the Catch", which is basically just the captains sitting around drinking beer, smoking and telling stories with the narrator and host of "Dirtiest Jobs".

I got to thinking that it was cool to see a bunch of crusty old fishermen drinking, smoking, and bullshitting on TV. They're not exactly a PC bunch.

scott free
06-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I was just watching "After the Catch", which is basically just the captains sitting around drinking beer, smoking and telling stories with the narrator and host of "Dirtiest Jobs".

I got to thinking that it was cool to see a bunch of crusty old fishermen drinking, smoking, and bullshitting on TV. They're not exactly a PC bunch.

Yeah, its a cool show, they're becoming real celebrities these days.

FAX
06-19-2007, 09:06 PM
That program looked interesting, Mr. Donger. That is, until I saw the commercial where the semi was going through the ice. Chilling.

One minute, you're a happy-go-lucky, ice road trucker and the next minute, you're trapped under an enormous ice floe searching in vain for an air bubble. I-65 is bad enough.

FAX

Donger
06-19-2007, 09:11 PM
That program looked interesting, Mr. Donger. That is, until I saw the commercial where the semi was going through the ice. Chilling.

One minute, you're a happy-go-lucky, ice road trucker and the next minute, you're trapped under an enormous ice floe searching in vain for an air bubble. I-65 is bad enough.

FAX

The best part is that the water re-freezes within minutes.

Chilling stuff.

FAX
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
The best part is that the water re-freezes within minutes.

Chilling stuff.

I didn't watch the program, Mr. Donger. Frankly, I have a deadly fear of falling through ice, so I probably won't. You have me curious, though. Do they wear scuba gear while they're driving or something?

FAX

Donger
06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
I didn't watch the program, Mr. Donger. Frankly, I have a deadly fear of falling through ice, so I probably won't. You have me curious, though. Do they wear scuba gear while they're driving or something?

FAX

I would appear not, unless it's invisible.

greg63
06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Anyone else watching this? These men are insane...

I thought you were banned. :D

FAX
06-19-2007, 09:18 PM
I would appear not, unless it's invisible.

So, not only are they dedicated men doing an important job, but they're also completely nuts. Got it.

FAX

JBucc
06-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Someone should tell them about airplanes.

Donger
06-19-2007, 09:19 PM
So, not only are they dedicated men doing an important job, but they're also completely nuts. Got it.

FAX

I would imagine that it's somewhat akin to WWI pilots refusing to wear parachutes.

Coach
06-19-2007, 09:20 PM
All I gotta say that it's suicidal.

Rain Man
06-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I know nothing of these ice truckers, but coincidentally I was driving on the highway today and I ended up behind a gasoline tanker. The whole time I was behind it, I kept waiting for it to explode. I don't think I could be a gasoline tanker driver.

FAX
06-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I think the absolute worst hauling job would be to drive one of those big chicken trucks, Mr. Rain Man. If you wreck, you don't die, you just have to chase chickens for the rest of your friggin' life.

FAX

Rain Man
06-19-2007, 10:58 PM
I think the absolute worst hauling job would be to drive one of those big chicken trucks, Mr. Rain Man. If you wreck, you don't die, you just have to chase chickens for the rest of your friggin' life.

FAX

Every time I drive behind one of those, I keep waiting for it to explode.

CosmicPal
06-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I know nothing of these ice truckers, but coincidentally I was driving on the highway today and I ended up behind a gasoline tanker. The whole time I was behind it, I kept waiting for it to explode. I don't think I could be a gasoline tanker driver.

Kevin- I've heard from a few peeps in Denver that we are the only major metropolitan city that permits flammable and toxic materials to be driven on a major interstate less than a mile from the city's downtown.

It is against the law for trucks carrying dangerous materials to be within a certain mileage from major downtown areas, but since I-70 and I-25 both run within a few miles of Denver's downtown area, we have no choice but to allow it.

A few years ago, they had to haul radioactive materials north on I-25 and it caused quite a concern for a lot of folks here, including myself. Imagine if a terrorist group decided to do such a thing. The consequences could be horrifying...

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2007, 12:43 AM
The Ice Road truckers thing has been on before. I guess now History channel has dedicated a series to it.

Being said, each and every one of those summbitches have ten times teh cajones I will ever have.

booger
06-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Every time I drive behind one of those, I keep waiting for it to explode.
does it ever happen?

Discuss Thrower
06-20-2007, 02:04 AM
does it ever happen?

I'll bet the one time he doesn't worry about it exploding, it will explode.

Ahh, the humor of Catch-22.

booger
06-20-2007, 02:08 AM
no kidding.

That's a lot of chicken feathers.

HonestChieffan
06-20-2007, 06:46 AM
Its all made up. Same producer did the moon landing back years ago. And he is a muslim they say.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-20-2007, 06:57 AM
I watched the show Sunday night. I put it into my Season Pass to watch the remaining episodes. Those mofos are nuts. There is no way I would be driving over frozen lakes. The one truck broke down in the middle of the lake and another driver rode into a ditch off the side of the frozen lake. I am assuming they make a lot of dough for this, if not, they are nuts. I think they said the ice is only 28 inches thick. At some points you can see it splitting and here it cracking under the weight of their loads. The one kid was hauling a huge turbine like structure that had to weigh 100 million tons.

HonestChieffan
06-20-2007, 07:00 AM
100 million tons is a lot.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-20-2007, 07:03 AM
100 million tons is a lot.

Just an estimate.
:)

boogblaster
06-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Don't eat the yellow snow or ice ....

bkkcoh
06-20-2007, 07:42 AM
I dvr'd it, but havent had a chance to watch it. I had heard about these truckers, consensus is they are totally freakin' nuts....

cdcox
06-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Just watched this on Tivo. Very entertaining.

Driving that slowly would bore me to tears. I think one of my biggest problems would be staying awake.

Braincase
07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
So, one of the previously not mentioned truckers has been thrown of the ice roads, and now TJ has an accident - I'm betting TJ gets punted as well.

They make it sound like one of the guys goes through the ice... hope it's not Jay.

bkkcoh
07-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Just watched this on Tivo. Very entertaining.

Driving that slowly would bore me to tears. I think one of my biggest problems would be staying awake.

I would think that the intensity of drinving in those conditions would be very tiring. I would think it would be a lot worse then driving in thick fog as far as the attention that you would have to have. But I would think that it would keep you on such and edge that there isn't any way that you would be going to sleep.

Buehler445
07-16-2007, 09:00 AM
I watched it for the first time last night. Good show. It is nice to watch good truck drivers. Most of the truck drivers around here are toolbags. It seems like most of those guys are pretty studious, and pay attention to what's going on.

As far as going that slow. I could do it for the dough they are raking in. As far as staying awake, keeping warm would be one way, and you see cigarette butts and pop cans in all of their trucks. I'm sure they are struggling, but most truck drivers do it so much that they are used to it.

Buehler445
07-16-2007, 09:01 AM
So, one of the previously not mentioned truckers has been thrown of the ice roads, and now TJ has an accident - I'm betting TJ gets punted as well.

They make it sound like one of the guys goes through the ice... hope it's not Jay.

The deal about TJ made me chuckle a bit, brand new truck and he wrecks it after a couple of miles.

Skip Towne
07-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, they're insane but they make a years salary in two months.

cdcox
07-16-2007, 09:15 AM
I would think that the intensity of drinving in those conditions would be very tiring. I would think it would be a lot worse then driving in thick fog as far as the attention that you would have to have. But I would think that it would keep you on such and edge that there isn't any way that you would be going to sleep.

I'm wired a little differently. As visibility conditions get worse (fog, heavy rain) I find it harder and harder to pay attention. Even though I'm aware of the danger and and staring intently out the winshield, that layer of haziness in front of my eyes tricks my brain into a dream-like state. Getting stuck behind a slow motorist does much the same thing if I'm constantly staring at the back of their slow moving car -- zzzzzz. I need changing scenery and a long horizon to keep my attention while drivng.

The one exception to this trend was one time traveling on the winding roads of central PA in a snow storm. The snow was comming down so heavily that it was almost impossible to see the road. Mix in some occassional 2-3 second bursts of complete white out and it was pretty scary. After about 10 minutes of this, a semi passed me at a pretty good clip and seemed to be able to see better than me. The rest of the trip I kept my eyes glued on his tail lights. Wherever those tail lights went, I was going to follow. I was driving blind quite a bit faster than I would have liked, but figured the only way I was going to get home that night (with my pregnant wife in the car) was to keep in contact with that truck. Didn't get drowsy that night, but we were moving fast enough that I didn't get board. 15-20 MPH would kill me.

FAX
07-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Very interesting Mr. cdcox. No offense or anything, But, you're actually describing the same symptoms an old friend of mine had. When it snowed or rained or something, he would get sort of hazy. It turned out that he had a mild form of epilepsy. You may want to have your head examined.

FAX

Buehler445
07-16-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm wired a little differently. As visibility conditions get worse (fog, heavy rain) I find it harder and harder to pay attention. Even though I'm aware of the danger and and staring intently out the winshield, that layer of haziness in front of my eyes tricks my brain into a dream-like state. Getting stuck behind a slow motorist does much the same thing if I'm constantly staring at the back of their slow moving car -- zzzzzz. I need changing scenery and a long horizon to keep my attention while drivng.

The one exception to this trend was one time traveling on the winding roads of central PA in a snow storm. The snow was comming down so heavily that it was almost impossible to see the road. Mix in some occassional 2-3 second bursts of complete white out and it was pretty scary. After about 10 minutes of this, a semi passed me at a pretty good clip and seemed to be able to see better than me. The rest of the trip I kept my eyes glued on his tail lights. Wherever those tail lights went, I was going to follow. I was driving blind quite a bit faster than I would have liked, but figured the only way I was going to get home that night (with my pregnant wife in the car) was to keep in contact with that truck. Didn't get drowsy that night, but we were moving fast enough that I didn't get board. 15-20 MPH would kill me.

I run into that in snow, it just seems to be a constant motion, and constant things put me to sleep. I don't think you are too abnormal. I can make myself pay attention, but it would be easy to drift off.

FAX
07-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Wow. A lot of people here need their heads examined.

FAX

Frazod
07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
I do have one question about this show.

WHAT THE F#CK DOES A BUNCH OF LUNATICS DRIVING TRUCKS ON ICE HAVE TO DO WITH HISTORY?
:cuss:

It's not a bad show, but History Channel has clearly lost it's way. Between this and those endless episodes of Modern Marvels, at this point History Channel is about history the same way the movie Pearl Harbor was about the Pearl Harbor attack.

Personally, I prefer my History Channel with a little HISTORY in it. :shake:

FAX
07-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I felt the same way about the show they did on the Lost Ostrich, Mr. frazod.

A full length documentary dedicated to following an ostrich that couldn't find his flock, avoiding predators, and seeking nourishment and stuff. The camera man could have just taken him back and saved us all the trouble.

I'll tell you this, once you've watched a lost ostrich for an hour, ice truckers are a blessing.

FAX

OnTheWarpath58
07-16-2007, 09:34 AM

WHAT THE F#CK DOES A BUNCH OF LUNATICS DRIVING TRUCKS ON ICE HAVE TO DO WITH HISTORY?

It's not a bad show, but History Channel has clearly lost it's way. Between this and those endless episodes of Modern Marvels, at this point History Channel is about history the same way the movie Pearl Harbor was about the Pearl Harbor attack.

Couldn't. Agree. More.

Used to be one of my favorite channels.

FAX
07-16-2007, 09:36 AM
You know, the thing that bothered me most about that show was that the ostrich wasn't really lost. Basically, it was found. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to photograph him.

FAX

Frazod
07-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Couldn't. Agree. More.

Used to be one of my favorite channels.

Same here. I hardly ever watch it now. Seems like every time I flip to the channel Modern Marvels is on. I HATE THAT F#CKING SHOW. Sorry, but I really don't give a shit about how plastic wrap/toilet paper/[insert random mundane household product here] is manufactured.

Braincase
07-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Uh.... If you don't watch yer ass, you're HISTORY!

FAX
07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
It was all kind of sad, now that I think about it. I mean ostriches are sort of goofy looking anyway and all the film crew did was stand around and watch him screw up and see if he'd find water or something.

Like watching a short bus kid for entertainment.

FAX

chagrin
07-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Check out netflix, all of the History Channel's good programs from the past are there. I don't watch History Channel much anymore either, opting for the Netflix library, they've got everything there, by channel.

I know you were expressing your opinion, but still, netflix rocks

ct
07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I saw a little of one episode, these people are whacked out man!!

FAX
07-16-2007, 10:17 AM
They have Lost Ostrich II coming out in the fall. I hope he finds his flock in this one. They sort of left him wandering around at the end of the first one.

Or maybe he'll end up mating with a flamingo or something. That would be cool. Possible difficult egg laying on the flamingo's part which could add some tension and drama to the whole thing.

FAX

HonestChieffan
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Fax you have me so bummed. Im all about happy birds.

bkkcoh
07-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Fax you have me so bummed. Im all about happy birds.

It is amazing that they can sit in their trucks with gonads that big. They are gutsy SOB's!

Life takes people like this who are willing to this because most of us don't want to come any where close to doing that...

HonestChieffan
07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
try driving a semi on lake of the ozarks...that takes guts.

FAX
07-16-2007, 10:49 AM
try driving a semi on lake of the ozarks...that takes guts.

Try walking around the Mojave desert for a year dodging leopards and giant snakes, Mr. HonestChieffan.

Sometimes, I just take a moment to thank God I'm not a lost ostrich.

FAX

HonestChieffan
07-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Better than a found ostrich

Lzen
07-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Uh, yeah but Modern Marvels is about history. I think it's a pretty good show. I really like Man, Moment, Machine, though.

Lzen
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
BTW, Popular Mechanics had an article on this a few months ago. I found the link on their site.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/adventures/4212314.html

Frazod
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Uh, yeah but Modern Marvels is about history. I think it's a pretty good show. I really like Man, Moment, Machine, though.

I'm sorry, but I just don't give a shit about the history of the tin can.

FAX
07-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I think the history of the tin can is actually very interesting, myself. Especially when you realize that they started making them out of ice but the ice cans kept melting on the shelves making a big mess and causing lots of calls for clean up on aisle number whatever. The next generation wool can wasn't much better.

You don't get those problems with tin.

FAX

morphius
07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I think the history of the tin can is actually very interesting, myself. Especially when you realize that they started making them out of ice but the ice cans kept melting on the shelves making a big mess and causing lots of calls for clean up on aisle number whatever. The next generation wool can wasn't much better.

You don't get those problems with tin.

FAX
And all along I thought they went to tin because ice was only good for one person in kick the can.

bogie
07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Did anyone see the documantary about Pirates on History Channel. That was a good show.

Braincase
07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Is the mission of the History Channel to reflect on historical events, inclusive or exclusive on the creation of historical events, respective to Modern Marvels. A hundred years from now, historians will study what we deemed important industrial or architectural milestones. I think Modern Marvels presents future history well.

Donger
07-16-2007, 08:16 PM

Wow. You must really hate MTV.