PDA

View Full Version : Somebody tell Mrs. Gaz to hide all the sharp objects.

mlyonsd
04-22-2001, 11:33 AM
A TE and RB in round 5. Something tells me Gaz won't be happy.

RBbC may not be dead.

KCJohnny
04-22-2001, 01:46 PM
Right.
This is the most lopsided draft in Chiefs history so far (all offense except Downing).
And the RBbC will NOT be slain by Al Saunders who helped nurture it here for 10 years.
TE? We draft a TE? Then why not draft Arthur Love?
Maybe these guys are all training camp fodder. I bet DV REALLY has his eyes on the Rams roster...

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2001, 01:50 PM
Just got in from traveling all weekend. Can someone bring me up to date on all of our picks, please. No defensive players is not good. I thought for sure we would go out and draft a OLB or MLB.

CanadaKC
04-22-2001, 01:57 PM
We just took a safety in the seventh round. Read his bio, sounds like another sleeper, but a good pick, IMO

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2001, 01:57 PM
John, I SICK OF YOU AND YOUR STUPID, NEGATIVE POSTS! Why don't you just GO AWAY and root for another team, because it's obvious that you're no longer a Chiefs fan! WHO THE HELL ARE YOU to question the Chiefs draft? The same guy who thought the Chiefs should select Torrance Marshall with the 12th overall pick? (he went in the 3rd round by the way). JUST PLEASE LEAVE!!

KCJohnny
04-22-2001, 02:03 PM
Uh, excuse me, Dane.
Isn't that the purpose of the BB, to discuss football?
Must I agree with you on everything to post my opinions?
I don't recall ever insulting you this way.
KCJ

kcred
04-22-2001, 02:27 PM
As a question to you McCloud, who do you think you are to select who, and what they should they post on this board. I see with your 52 posts, you have an overabundance of experience here on the Planet. As far as the other board, I have been there since I got this computer two years ago, and John was there when I got on. Therefore, rookie, if anyone leaves, I hope it is you.

Warrior5
04-22-2001, 03:05 PM
Good to see you over here! Mrs Gaz probably has him in a straight-jacket tight now. I'm pretty ticked myself; I think my wife is going to hide my car keys.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2001, 04:04 PM
As I stated, John no longer seems to be a Chiefs fan. Since his lord and master Gunther Cunningham was fired, all John has done is ***** about the Chiefs and their new direction. Why bother posting if you're going to be negative about EVERYTHING? John obviously understands NEANDRETHAL football (run, run, run, punt), and would like the Chiefs to continue losing year in and year out, because, and I quote "They're chaning 30 years of Chief football tradition". Well, if I recall correctly, the Chiefs haven't won an AFC title or Super Bowl in 31 years, and it's time for a CHANGE. That's how it works John. Get over it!

Gracie Dean
04-22-2001, 08:40 PM
Hey KC Johnny,

Welcome It is good to finally see you here

Don't let the newbie scare you off. He just is grumpy

Gaz
04-22-2001, 08:41 PM
A long hot bath and a generous libation of Tequila Rose mellowed me considerably.

My tenuous hold on serenity now rests on three slender points:

1. The new staff knows what they are doing.

2. Schottenheimer really was as bad a DC as I thought.

3. We will shore up the Defense with FAs after June 1st.

I am disappointed, but also trying to remember that I have faith in Vermeil and Company that I did not have in Gunther and the Stooges. I am counting on them to lead me through this Defensive wasteland.

xoxo~
Gaz
Had to eat dinner with a spoon, ‘cause Mrs. Gaz wouldn’t let him have a fork.

Gaz
04-23-2001, 06:38 AM
After a good night's sleep, I awoke with far less trepidation than yesterday. After all, Vermeil is a two-time Super Bowl coach who must understand that the Rams model of "all O, no D" was a miserable, embarrassing failure. I was confident that he would do the right thing and build the D through FA.

I recalled Schottenheimer's stinkin' soft zone and the games he lost for us [Titans, Oakland, San Francisco, so forth]. I remembered that I liked the aggressive 'tude I saw in Robinson's Denver D, even as I laughed at the pathetic talent in the Broncos secondary.

I was feeling pretty good.

Then I read that Warfield will be starting at CB opposite Crockett ["pathetic talent in the Broncos secondary," remember?].

Now I am depressed again.

xoxo~
Gaz
Eyeing the scissors in his desk.

Otter
04-23-2001, 08:11 AM
I too am worried about the CB position as well. I'm hoping Bartee pans out to be the cover manned the stooges envisioned (ouch!!!)

Maybe another FA corner?!?!?

AJKCFAN
04-23-2001, 08:26 AM
Gaz, Otter, Everyone:

June 1

It will be taken care of... June 1

Close your eyes, think of warm thoughts, say June 1 aloud a few times, and just watch that smile enter your face...

ct
04-23-2001, 08:31 AM
Where did this Warfield and Crockett starting tandem come from? What did I miss?

Otter
04-23-2001, 08:37 AM
I too am worried about the CB position as well. I'm hoping Bartee pans out to be the cover manned the stooges envisioned (ouch!!!)

Maybe another FA corner?!?!?

Gaz
04-23-2001, 08:38 AM
From the KC Star:
http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/chiefs.pat,sports/3acc9cdb.422,.html

At cornerback, the Chiefs signed veteran free agent Ray Crockett. They have young prospects in Eric Warfield, William Bartee and Pat Dennis, but each has yet to prove he can be a high-quality NFL starter.
Vermeil said Warfield would go into minicamp as the probable starter opposite Crockett.
"I think Warfield is a player," Vermeil said. "What I think he needs is self-discipline and an opportunity. I want to make sure that he's given the best opportunity he's ever been given to be a starter, and then I'm going to make darn sure he takes advantage of it."

xoxo~
Gaz
Ruining everyone else’s day, too.

FloridaChief
04-23-2001, 09:24 AM
IIRC, the word on Warfield (as of the start of last season) was that being a late-round draft draft pick had given him an inferiority complex; Lacking in self-confidence, Gun put him on the field to instill his esteem or to lose the starting position. He lost the starting position. Believe it was later revealed that he had been playing with an undisclosed back injury and was in some amount of pain; For reasons that make sense only to a young man probably in fear of losing his job, Warfield did not reveal his ailment.

That may not be 100% accurate, but I believe it's the gist of the matter.

Dennis was constantly targeted and burned last year. Thanks to our D-Scheme he played way off his receiver. Way, way off. The phrase 'Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger' always comes to my mind when I think about Dennis. If Gun & Kurt's soft zones didn't make him stronger, they might have killed his chance of developing into an efficient cover corner. Just conjecture & feeling on my part--it's too early to tell--but I remember thinking late last year that Dennis wasn't showing improvement and wouldn't pan out.

Bartee, OTOH, I felt did improve as the season progressed. I feel comfortable with Bartee on the field with some veteran help.

Crockett is not the veteran help I envisioned. I think most of you feel the same--that his better days are behind him. I thought he would be added depth, p/t player, and tutor for the young CB's. Now we know that Vermeil wants to start him. I hope that after Gray is cut circa June 1, we might seek out a cheap veteran corner to sign. Otherwise, CB, to my mind, will be the most sgnificant weakness on this team.