PDA

View Full Version : I see alot of discussion about Rudy and Ron Paul, Hillary and Obama, but what about..

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Mitt Romney?

I'm completely unfamiliar with his record (since he's only served as governor of a state completely separated from mine).

He keeps saying over and over and over that he's gonna cut spending and reduce the size of the federal government, he's gonna cut taxes and simplify and flatten the tax system.

Does he have a track record for doing what he says?

Radar Chief
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Granted, this is coming from the “Neo Con” demagogue, but it is interesting reading. ;)

http://67.18.68.69/BB/showthread.php?t=164723

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks, hadn't seen that.

I beginning to think that hoping for change in Washington is a waste of time.

Mr Luzcious
06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks, hadn't seen that.

I beginning to think that hoping for change in Washington is a waste of time.

Indeed.. frankly I don't much care for ANY of the candidates this time around.

Mr. Kotter
06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
He IS the Republican darkhorse, in 2008. If Giuliani falters (as I expect,) but neither McCain is able to step it up (don't expect it)....and Thompson flops (don't expect it)....then it's Romney's race in my book. I wouldn't be shocked by it, at all. I'm still betting on McCain and/or Thompson though.

I can envision a scenario where Hillary/Obama win for the Dems in 2008, especially if things continue to the downward spiral in Iraq....in which Romeny actually can position himself as a strong candidate in 2012. The whole Mormon thing won't sink him; but it isn't going to help him at all either. However, I would like to think we are past it hurting him too much.

Chiefnj
06-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Where does Romney stand on gay marriage?

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Yes.

htismaqe
06-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Do you actually care? ;)

patteeu
06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Have you heard that Mitt Romney is a mormon? Apparently that's all we need to know about him.

Chiefnj
06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Do you actually care? ;)

Yes. Not deeply, but a little. I presume he's against it. Which is interesting because some people argue marriage is a sacred pact between one man and one woman. Being a Mormon is he flexible on the one man and one woman definition? Is it okay if it is one man and five women?

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Yes. Not deeply, but a little. I presume he's against it. Which is interesting because some people argue marriage is a sacred pact between one man and one woman. Being a Mormon is he flexible on the one man and one woman definition? Is it okay if it is one man and five women?
Practice SATs;

Mainstream Mormons are to Polygamous Sects
as
Mainstream Baptists are to Westboro Baptists

Taco John
06-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I can't imagine any scenario in which Mitt Romney could win a general election.

Chiefnj
06-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Practice SATs;

as

Is he against polygamy?

Cochise
06-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Is he against polygamy?

This is like learning that someone today is German, and then assuming they are a Nazi until they explicitly deny it.

banyon
06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Practice SATs;

as

Polygamy is not allowed according to the Book of Mormon or other Mormon religious texts?

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Polygamy is not allowed according to the Book of Mormon or other Mormon religious texts?
Book of Mormon - JACOB 2:24
Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

The Mormon presidency officially ended the practicein 1890. It had been curtailed in the mainstream long before, and of course there are hangers on on the fringe to present day.

Known adherents are excommunicated.

HolmeZz
06-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Depends on what office he's running for and who's vote he needs.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9IJUkYUbvI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9IJUkYUbvI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

He's pretty much the definition of what most people hate about politics. No core values. Just a wealthy man in search of more power.

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Oh, and BTW

2 Chronicles 13:21
Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives.

Exodus 21:10
If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

Deuteronomy 21:15
If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated....

2 Samuel 12:7-8
Thus saith the LORD ... I gave thee ... thy master's wives.

Matthew 25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

banyon
06-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Book of Mormon - JACOB 2:24
Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

The Mormon presidency officially ended the practicein 1890. It had been curtailed in the mainstream long before, and of course there are hangers on on the fringe to present day.

Known adherents are excommunicated.

I had that all backward I guess.

Of course my growing up in a Southern Baptist Church probably didn't help any.

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 05:08 PM
I had that all backward I guess.

Of course my growing up in a Southern Baptist Church probably didn't help any.
To elucidate, given my outsiders knowledge, the rationale for polygamy was that, as there was polygamy in the bible [Abraham, Isaac, David] and as Jesus was descended of those lines, the thought was polygamy was not an absolute abomination.
The line in Jacob was rationalized as David and Solomon's obomination was not so much the polygamy, but the licentiousness and polygamy without a pressing justification.
They presented a myriad history of polygamy being looked upon with favor when, for a period, the peoples of The Lord needed to repopulate quickly, generally following decimation or populating new lands.
This was analogized to their peculiar situation, populating the new lands with a new people in frontier America.
Much of the marriages after the first were for the purposes of securing alliances amongst important figures in the organization, and providing a framework for expanded familial compounds, distribution of labor, etc.
Naturally, this devolved into all sorts of odd arrangements, particularly in the nationless, rural outlying areas. But as they returned to the mainstream and nationalization, those practices were sought out and extinguished.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-20-2007, 05:38 PM
FWIW, I predicted Romney would be the nominee the day after Bush was re-elected.

As this was a total shot in the dark, if it does turn out to be the case, please feel free to call up my number, as I'll help you with all your picks

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/t/images/two-for-the-money-poster-0.jpg

recxjake
06-20-2007, 09:08 PM
He says whatever people want to hear.

Mr. Kotter
06-20-2007, 10:27 PM

OOOOOooooHHHhhhhhhhh the IRONY!!!

Logical
06-20-2007, 11:15 PM

Wow, recxjake gets one right. This means Rudy must be right on one thing.

go bowe
06-20-2007, 11:17 PM
OOOOOooooHHHhhhhhhhh the IRONY!!! ow, you're making my ears hurt...

please stop it...

stop it or i'm gonna pay mlyon to back hand you the next time he sees you...

i hear he's got one hell of a punch, er slap...

HolmeZz
06-21-2007, 01:10 AM

That's Rudy alright.

recxjake
06-21-2007, 08:16 AM
That's Rudy alright.

if that was rudy, he would be pro life

BucEyedPea
06-21-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm not a Rudy supporter for prez, but I'd have to agree with rex here.
Rudy has not backed down, although he fudged a bit for a very short while, from his stand on being pro-choice or pro-gay unions.

Rudy is not a phoney like Mitt.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 09:44 AM
if that was rudy, he would be pro life

If it was Rudy, he'd be wearing jack boots.

Cochise
06-21-2007, 10:02 AM
jake is a rare sight now that he's handcuffed himself to a sinking ship...

recxjake
06-21-2007, 10:50 AM
jake is a rare sight now that he's handcuffed himself to a sinking ship...

No, I'm interning for the campaign..... 8-8, 4 days a week, then working at lowes the other three days for $$.

I've learned so many things so far this summer.... It's been an amazing experience.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I've learned so many things so far this summer.... It's been an amazing experience.
That's cool kiddo! All, I ask is that you not read at least The Weekly Standard...it's a lie factory.

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Rudy hires coke dealers.

go bowe
06-24-2007, 08:09 PM
*perk*

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Where does Romney stand on gay marriage?Yeah, like this really matters. Lets see... Fixing the mess in Iraq. Securing our borders. Oh! Gay marriage! Lets get cracking on THIS!

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2007, 09:22 PM
I would not worry about him being a polygamist. If he is, I would worry about him being plain ****ing stupid for wanting to marry MORE than one woman...

BigMeatballDave
06-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Rudy hires coke dealers.Coke Zero rocks!