PDA

View Full Version : Paging any runners

cookster50
06-20-2007, 03:10 PM
How often do you replace your running shoes and how much do you usually spend? I am finding myself needing new running shoes every 2 months or so. Seems too quick. I usually get $40 shoes, so perhaps that is my problem. I'd hate to go spend $100 on some highly rated running shoes(New Balance 902 maybe) and just need to replace them as quickly as the rest. I usually run 10-17 miles a week, depending on how many times I can get out there. Most of my running is unfortunately on the street/sidewalk.

seclark
06-20-2007, 03:13 PM
my wife runs 6-7 miles a day. i make her replace her running shoes every 6weeks.

new balance

i think she runs too much. one day her feet/knees are going to be shot and she will no longer be able to fetch me a beer.

i consider it an investment.
sec

seclark
06-20-2007, 03:14 PM
my wife runs 6-7 miles a day. i make her replace her running shoes every 6weeks.

new balance

i think she runs too much. one day her feet/knees are going to be shot and she will no longer be able to fetch me a beer.

sec
*edit to add that she uses the old running shoes to mow the yard and cut weeds in.

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Check out the Nike Air Max 180 or 360s.
Mega $$$, but the only shoes I've ever run in where the only parts of my body that didn't hurt were my feet.

They take the 'air' concept all the way to the balls of the feet [180], or to the toes [360].

Here's the pair I wear;
http://www.hiphopville.com/shop/images/thumbs/images/nike_air_max_plus_leather_10721141.jpg

Here's the newest flagship.
http://www.shoeimages.com/images/news/2006/01/stry_full_nike_am360m.jpg

sd4chiefs
06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I used to always get Nike Air Max shoes but the heal would ware out in about 4 months and I only walk-run about 12 miles a week. I have switched to Brooks a year ago and they last about twice as long.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/shoeadvisor/

This is a cool sight. It will help you find the right shoe.

eazyb81
06-20-2007, 04:24 PM
If you are a serious runner, you need to start investing in quality shoes - they definitely are worth the price.

I've always been an Asics fan, and I recently splurged on some top of th line Asics because I was starting to get shin splints. The shoes I bought are the Asics Kayano, and it felt like I was walking on pillows the first time I put them on.

The Runner's World website has some great info on shoes if you're interested.

cookster50
06-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Aisics Gel-Kenso or whatever it is called has great reviews. So do those Air Max 360. Just not sure I want to spend $150+ on shoes, but I might have to break down and do it. Especially if they actually last 300-400 miles, rather than the crappy 70-80 miles I'm getting out of $40 shoes.

Anyone know of a good place to get running shoes at a discount? Or am I out of luck and just have to go to a Finish Line type store.

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Aisics Gel-Kenso or whatever it is called has great reviews. So do those Air Max 360. Just not sure I want to spend $150+ on shoes, but I might have to break down and do it. Especially if they actually last 300-400 miles, rather than the crappy 70-80 miles I'm getting out of $40 shoes.

Anyone know of a good place to get running shoes at a discount? Or am I out of luck and just have to go to a Finish Line type store.
Got mine at the Pevely flea market [guy got them from a Foot Locker wholesale closeout, ie he bought the whole pallet at [probably] 25% of wholesale]

Made a deal on me and pops getting multiple pairs, got 'em for $30 brand new. :thumb:

cookster50
06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Dang, I need to find a deal like that. I don't suppose you go to this Pevely flea market on a regular basis do you?????

Baby Lee
06-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Dang, I need to find a deal like that. I don't suppose you go to this Pevely flea market on a regular basis do you?????
Not all that often, but more often in the summer. I think I got these Labor Day weekend 2006.

Baby Lee
07-10-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/productdetail/supercat--outlet/model--72019~14023003/cm--Outlet/

Save an extra 20% off All Items Store-Wide when part of orders of $99+ at Footlocker.com.

Nike Men's Air Max 180+ Running Shoes for $110 - $30 instant savings - 20% = $64.

Use Coupon Code: LKS17J29 during checkout to get your savings. Special available through August 4.

So you'll need to purchase another $25 worth of stuff to get the 20% off.

Jilly
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM

new balance

sec

Or other things that might require her knees, whatever that might be.

Fish
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/productdetail/supercat--outlet/model--72019~14023003/cm--Outlet/

Save an extra 20% off All Items Store-Wide when part of orders of $99+ at Footlocker.com.

Nike Men's Air Max 180+ Running Shoes for $110 - $30 instant savings - 20% = $64.

Use Coupon Code: LKS17J29 during checkout to get your savings. Special available through August 4.

Wow... great deal... thank you...

cookster50
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Dang, too bad I already purchased some shoes. Might have to look into a backup pair.

DiaperBoy27
07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
I go with Nike Shox. good shoe, about $80 I think.

I only replace them once a year or so, but I only run about 6-8 miles a week, the rest is low impact cardio (hurt knee)

jynni
07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I've always found that replacing the crappy insole that comes in most running shoes with a higher quality one helps greatly. The insole I buy is about $20, I think, but well worth it in the long run.

eazyb81
07-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm still getting shin splints, I don't know what my deal is.

Guess i'm going to have to use the elliptical the rest of my life, which is pathetic since i'm only 25.

Is this something a doctor could fix (without surgery)?

Jilly
07-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Guess i'm going to have to use the elliptical the rest of my life, which is pathetic since i'm only 25.

when i ran in high school and had shin splints...they always advised me when I was done...

15 minutes heat, 15 minutes cold...

they also advised me to walk backwards for a while to warm down and to warm up....

eazyb81
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
when i ran in high school and had shin splints...they always advised me when I was done...

15 minutes heat, 15 minutes cold...

they also advised me to walk backwards for a while to warm down and to warm up....

Does that help? Did it help the pain during running?

I used to ice my shins, but I haven't done that lately. I'll give that another try.

Why walk backwards? Does that just work different muscles?

KCChiefsMan
07-10-2007, 04:07 PM
look up fightclub, he's probably running like he stole something as we speak

Jilly
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Does that help? Did it help the pain during running?

I used to ice my shins, but I haven't done that lately. I'll give that another try.

Why walk backwards? Does that just work different muscles?

It did help. A lot. But I have no idea how on the backwards thing. It was never explained. I'm guessing that it stretched those muscles more.

Fish
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

Here's some good info on your shin splints. Used to get them pretty bad too.... but when I started stretching a lot more before running it did it for me. Make sure you're doing the right stretches...

eazyb81
07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

It's SO frustrating to have shin splints right when i'm starting to run again. I've never had them before so I don't know why they started now. I have tried to stretch really good before and after working out, and I even gave my legs a few weeks of rest. I guess I will just have to learn to deal with them and treat the pain.

Immaculate
07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I usually replace ever 3 months. But I'm broke so that probably has alot to do with it.

Oh Snap
07-10-2007, 06:19 PM
i stick with a separate pair of nike shocks.. Usually cost $100. So they last a bit longer then regular shoes. im into weight lifting which requires a good pair of comfortable shoes. But i do some cardio that involves running. I usually replace them about every 9-10 months. (just a ball park figure, could be closer to a year then again maybe not.)

WilliamTheIrish
07-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I can't believe anybody runs in shox. Careful in those things. They'll wreck your hips.

If you run over 10 miles a week, you should be in some higher quality shoes. Especially as you move into your mid/late 20's.

Pearl Izumi are my choice. Kinda high end, but the best shoe I've ever laced up. Although Asics have been good to me also.

I've run 2 marathons, 20 1/2 marathons and countless other races from 5k up. Gone through many different brands to find the one that fits my stride. Also, it may be advisable to find your shoe where most runner find theirs. I'm not against chain store buying, especially when you pull a pallet of shoes like BL did.

But try a specialty shop where you get your stride examined. Go to a race in your area and check out what the vendors can do for you. Doing this changed my running life.

Happy running, lads