PDA

View Full Version : Two interesting interviews yesterday

keg in kc
06-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Haven't run across mention of either of these here, but I heard a couple of interesting tidbits. The interviewees were Brad Ekwerekwu on 610 and Mitch Holthus on 810.

The 610 hosts asked how Ekwerekwu was doing with the offense, how difficult it was to learn, et cetera, and his answer was that the biggest difficulty so far was learning the shifting and motion and that there was a lot of it, on every play.

Obviously this is something we knew about the offense we ran from 2001-2005. I think it bears note now because it goes against the grain in terms of the fears people have about the "simplification" of the playbook in the interest of getting younger players on the field. Whatever they've done, they're not scrapping *that* concept, and motion/mismatches are still apparently what we're aiming for...

Holthos on 810 said a couple of things. First was that the difference in speed on the roster is glaring, that this will be a very fast squad. Second, he sounded almost in love with Croyle. Mostly talking about his arm speed and the velocity of his throws, and what that brings to the team in terms of downfield attack. He mentioned a few players he thought could be key for the future, and (maybe) suprisingly, one of them was Kolby Smith, and how he could potentially be a throwback to guys like Kimble Anders and a different kind of a back to use on 3rd down and how his strengths fit the weaknesses in LJ's game (blocking, catching, primarily). And he said he thought we'd have the best LB corps in the AFC.

There was a lot more, but I'm trying to recollect stuff from 24 hours ago, so maybe someone else heard either/both and can fill in some blanks...

Hog Farmer
06-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks Keg, its always nice to hear some positives.

blueballs
06-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Kolby is destine for Green Bay

Count Zarth
06-20-2007, 02:29 PM
I've been saying it all offseason. There's a very good chance Croyle's arm opens up our offense and takes pressure off LJ.

bogie
06-20-2007, 02:36 PM
I've been saying it all offseason. There's a very good chance Croyle's arm opens up our offense and takes pressure off LJ.

Let's hope our receivers can catch the ball.

Chiefnj
06-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I think Smith is going to be a much better runner than people anticipate.

Buehler445
06-20-2007, 02:53 PM
I think Smith is going to be a much better runner than people anticipate.

The dude ran well at Louisville. He was a major part of the offense that people thought had a chance to contend for a championship. I'm not sure why he fell to the 5th round, but I was excited when he came up on our list. I hope he catches the ball well. That would be an excellent addition to our offense.