PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock Interview with LJ: Possible Holdout Looming

huskerdooz
06-21-2007, 05:50 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/158912.html

JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY
Q&A WITH | Chiefs running back Larry Johnson sounds offCOMMENTARY
Q&A with LJ | Part 1 STORM warning
Finally, he’s talking. Pro Bowl running back Larry Johnson sits down with The Star’s Jason Whitlock for an exclusive interview in which Johnson reveals his intent to hold out if the Chiefs don’t give him a new contract before training ca

Larry Johnson believes his two 1,700-yard seasons and his NFL-record 416 carries last season are worth a new contract.
Tuesday afternoon during a fascinating, 150-minute discussion with Larry Johnson and his 28-year-old agent, Alvin Keels, I was left with the clear impression that the Pro Bowl running back believes he may be forced to sit out training camp to resolve his contract impasse with the Chiefs.

We met for lunch at the Hereford House in Zona Rosa. The agreement was that Johnson and I could say whatever we wanted without either side getting offended. Keels would referee and chime in whenever he wanted. The conversation never turned combative. But Larry was raw and honest as usual.

“He’s going to test me,” Johnson said of team president Carl Peterson.

Do you think you will have to hold out?

“I’ve talked with Herm (Edwards) about it,” Johnson replied. “Herm said he doesn’t even know the money I’m asking for. He said he doesn’t really care. He said I’ve done a lot in terms of OTAs (organized team activities) and minicamp to buy into the program. He said he’ll talk with Carl and those things will get handled. It all depends on how the upstairs people play it.”

OK, are you prepared for a long holdout?

“I’m prepared,” Johnson said matter-of-factly. “They (my agent and father) got me saving money. I’m hustling to get more money to put in the bank. They already started setting aside different accounts, if that would have to happen. They’re already telling me to be cautious about how I spend, where I go and stuff like that. To make sure that if it goes down like that, then I’ve got to be able to pace myself so I won’t be in trouble.”

There was much to discuss. Larry is on the books to make $1.7 million this season, a paltry sum for a fifth-year player with his resume. Speculation has centered on Johnson seeking a contract that falls between the deals given LaDainian Tomlinson ($21 million in guarantees) and Peyton Manning ($35 million in guarantees).

“The point I’d like to get out,” Keels said, “is that if we were to have to hold out, it would be for the sake of good business, not being greedy. I think the picture that is being painted right now in the eyes of the fans is that we’re coming into this negotiation being greedy. It’s not good business for a player who rushes the ball 416 times in a season, back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons, back-to-back 1,700-yard seasons, back-to-back broken Kansas City Chiefs records, it’s not good business for him to come back in and play for $1.7 million. And that’s a sensitive area because $1.7 million is a lot more than most people in Kansas City make.”

Our conversation extended well beyond football. We talked about Larry’s anger, his relationship with rap music mogul Jay-Z, Larry’s relationship with his teammates and how he would like to help black youths. I’ll share excerpts from our conversation in a question-and-answer format today and on Friday. I’ll offer my opinion on Sunday.

Question: Larry, do you think Carl Peterson has an advantage over you in these negotiations based on the way you’re perceived by the media and fans and the rumors about your astronomical contract demands? And do you think you made a mistake by the way you’ve handled yourself publicly during your first four years in the league?

Johnson: “I take full responsibility for what I did. What I did off the football field was my problem. I’m not stupid; my father is a football coach. I know what, sitting up behind the scenes, they will and won’t use to paint me as the hero of the city or paint me as the prisoner of the state. I know what will happen if we don’t get this deal done in time.”

Keels: “Previous reports of what we are asking for have been a bit misleading. I have heard reports that we are seeking an eight-year deal worth as much as $80 to $90 million or as much guaranteed money as Peyton Manning. Without getting into any specific details, this is not the case. When you take into account the production on the field and the position that my client plays, we are simply seeking a deal that is in line with today’s market, which naturally will be more than a comparable deal that was done years ago. We understand that Larry is under contract for the 2007 season and that the Chiefs aren’t obligated to extend his deal. However, it has been something that the Chiefs have openly commented on that they would like to do. And it goes without saying that from a business standpoint, Larry would like a fair-market contract extension before the start of the season. I can’t say that we are close to a deal now, but Larry wants to be a Chief for life and the Chiefs are a great organization, and I am optimistic that we will come to an agreement.

Question: Larry, do you think the average football fan or sportswriters in general understand why you need such a large contract at this time?

Johnson: “If they really want it to hit home, look at Earl Campbell. He’s not complaining, but he can barely walk. He’s sitting in wheelchairs. He can’t sit at banquets for a long amount of time before he has to leave. It’s sad to have to watch him go through what he has to go through. You look at me; I don’t want to be like that. But I may end up like him. Who knows? I have to be able to plan for that, plan for my kids. I don’t know if I’m going to be running back and forth taking my kids to soccer practice.”

Question: Larry, given that your father is a successful football coach at Penn State and your knowledge of football and the business of football, why didn’t you handle things in a more mature way early in your career?

Johnson: “At the time, I played it different because I seen how the nice guys played it differently, tried to do things differently. I always tried to do it my father’s way and up until high school, it never panned out that way. Even when I was in high school, I worked hard, I waited, and I never got that chance until my senior season. I played at Penn State, played the nice guy, did all I had to do to a point in time when I was just like, ‘this being a nice guy ain’t working.’ I’ve been doing it my father’s way for so long, it gets frustrating because you never see it opening up the way he has painted it out for me to be. So I had to start manipulating. I did a lot of manipulation as far as what I could say or shouldn’t say. Just cause enough stir for people to open their eyes and see what was really going on without me looking like the bad guy or without the organization looking bad.”

Question: Would your father like for you to play it more conservatively?

Johnson: “Yeah, but we’re not dealing with people from my father’s background — you know, hard-working and believing in loyalty and you keep doing the right things and great things will happen for you. You’re not dealing with that these days, especially in this business. Knowing what I had to go through in this city, as far as talking contract numbers, they’re still going to say, ‘Well, LaDainian is better than me, this guy can’t do this. Larry can’t block.’ For a guy who says I’m quote unquote ‘tied to his hip,’ these are the words that are coming from him (Peterson). This isn’t coming from media or people outside the organization. I can deal with that. This is coming from the guy that told me we’re joined at the hip. ‘You can trust me.’ When it comes from that person, you know in terms of trust and loyalty, you know where you really are at with that person.”

Question: Do you feel Carl has sold you out?

Johnson: “Not necessarily he sold me out. He’s just a businessman. It’s hard to be close friends with a guy you go to for money. When you’re asking for the kind of money we’re asking for, it’s hard to be the good guy.”

Question: If you hold out, how do you think your teammates will react?

Johnson: “I watched Brian (Waters) go through his ordeal (trying to get a contract). I watched Eddie Kennison, as far as what he was asking. He told me how he approached his deal. I seen what John Tait went through with his deal. At the end of the day, they (my teammates) understand that I deserve this. Tony Gonzalez agreed that I deserve what I get. If I have to hold out, I don’t know how they would view me. You’d have to ask them.”

Question: Do you think you’re a good teammate?

Johnson: “Only thing that would make me a bad teammate at times is when they see me arguing with coaches in front of them. And that only happened one time. Well, twice — my rookie year and last year. Other than that, I’m hanging out with the young guys, the rookies. Even with Casey (Wiegmann). He’s hard as hell to talk to because you don’t know if he likes you or don’t like you. But I say enough to Casey that he talks to me. No one would say, ‘Damn, I hate Larry’ or ‘I really don’t like him.’ There have been some older guys that have gone in and said that you better calm him down because they saw me have an outburst with a coach.”

Question: What about the complaints from some of your teammates about text messaging in meetings?

Johnson: “You know where that came from? That came from a coach. In reality I’m the last person who sits in the back. Everybody sits in front of me. The only one who sits behind me is a coach. And it only happened in offensive meetings. It didn’t happen in any other meetings. It didn’t come from a player. No one else would know that I’m doing it.”

Question: Do you at least admit it was a mistake to text message during team meetings?

Johnson: “Yeah, it was a mistake. It was me being immature. At first I didn’t do it, but then we started covering the same old stuff week after week. There was nothing new being brought into the system. It was immaturity on my part. After that, I don’t do it anymore. I don’t even sit in the back during offensive meetings. I sit in the front. I get all the running backs sitting beside me. I’m in the first two rows.”

Pick up Friday’s paper and learn how Larry responds when I ask him about handling the responsibility of leadership and being a team’s highest-paid player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORE WITH L.J.
Jason Whitlock will share more excerpts from his conversation with Larry Johnson in another question-and-answer format on Friday. Jason will offer his opinion in Sunday’s section.

Reerun_KC
06-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Queue up GoChiefs Man Love 3....2....1....

"LJ loves KC and would never hold you" /GoChiefs

Who the hell does Whitlock think he is? Huh? GoChiefs is the only person that has the inside track to LJ....

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Maybe it's just because I have really been paying attention the last couple of seasons, but does it seem more and more common that players go to the media for contract negotiations? I think Larry is worth a big contract, and I'm also sure the Chiefs will oblige, but I wonder if they think they will help their case by going to the media while in negotiations...

...I think Carl has proven that he doesn't give a flying fig ****ing newton about what anyone thinks, so it seems like a fruitless exercise to me...:shrug:

It's a good read though...

Anyong Bluth
06-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Trent's off the books, and we have the space. I bet he gets a contract close to what LT's is, maybe a little less signing bonus. The cap has gone up quite a bit with the new collective bargaining agreement and Lt's deal is less significant b/c contracts only keep rising. By the end of the deal, his pay won't even be in the top 5 of RB's if they don't redo it.

rad
06-21-2007, 07:42 AM
“I’m prepared,” Johnson said matter-of-factly. “They (my agent and father) got me saving money. I’m hustling to get more money to put in the bank.

I don't think I like the sound of that.

King_Chief_Fan
06-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Maybe it's just because I have really been paying attention the last couple of seasons, but does it seem more and more common that players go to the media for contract negotiations? I think Larry is worth a big contract, and I'm also sure the Chiefs will oblige, but I wonder if they think they will help their case by going to the media while in negotiations...

...I think Carl has proven that he doesn't give a flying fig ****ing newton about what anyone thinks, so it seems like a fruitless exercise to me...:shrug:

It's a good read though...

the media came to Larry. Whitlock and his obsession to make Carl look like an ass appears to have set this up. My take away from the article based on LJ's comment, if Carl doesn't step up and pay him, Carl is a liar and a fraud. Let's see what happens. We know we can't go to camp or start the season with the backups and expect to be successful.

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I thought it was cool that he mentioned the people say he can't block. Seems a pretty honest assessment, hopefully he's working on that.

eazyb81
06-21-2007, 08:07 AM
“I’m prepared,” Johnson said matter-of-factly. “They (my agent and father) got me saving money. I’m hustling to get more money to put in the bank.

Don't worry, LJ just tries really hard to have street cred.

Kerberos
06-21-2007, 08:08 AM

As long as he's not taking classes from the Andre Rison, Tamarick Vanover or Bam Morris school of how to "hustle" money, I am sure we have nothing to worry about.

Messier
06-21-2007, 08:08 AM
This was a media or Whitlock driven piece. His lastest thing seems to be, look out Chiefs players! Carl will screw you over! It's like asking LJ what is the worst case scenario, then going with that as if that's the only option.

Buehler445
06-21-2007, 08:24 AM
I enjoyed this article. It appears that LJ had developed some maturity and at least has the character to admit that he has made mistakes. I don't like the fact that he is willing to hold out, but judging by the comments he stated, we wouldn't be giving money to a bastard. Also, given his consistent production, particularly behind a sub-par line, it would be a good investment.

HOWEVER, I don't think this should be a record setting deal. I also don't think we should weight most of the contract at the end, like Nate Clements. The kid deserves a sizable signing bonus. The kid deserves some good guarenteed money. I think he is internally motivated enough to produce consistently, so performance bonuses are probably in order.

I don't know if this is possible, but maybe we could give the man some incentives based on how OTHER RB's do. I think if we could pay him more if he does better than LT, it would be real motivation for him. He seems to resent the fact that LT is regarded as the #1 RB in the league (rightfully so). So if we could motivate him to beat LT, he could really work to improve his game. Just a thought probably won't happen.

I guess what I'm looking for is a relatively long contract, about 6 years. I'm looking for good, but not phenominal guarenteed money. I also think there should be significant performance bonuses. Particularly on # of carries. If we are going to destroy his body, we should at least pay him for it. If we can get a competition based incentive, that would be good, but I'm not sure it is possible. JMO.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Like I have been saying, the kid is looking out for his future. You can't expect him to carry the rock 400+ times a season and not want to get paid. He seems to understand the history of backs who have taken a beaten over the years and their future prospects. At least if he can't move, he will be well compensated. He knows that a team WILL come along and pay him what he is asking. Now it might not be the Chiefs, be he knows someone will. I would much rather it be us.

dirk digler
06-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Like I have been saying, the kid is looking out for his future. You can't expect him to carry the rock 400+ times a season and not want to get paid. He seems to understand the history of backs who have taken a beaten over the years and their future prospects. At least if he can't move, he will be well compensated. He knows that a team WILL come along and pay him what he is asking. Now it might not be the Chiefs, be he knows someone will. I would much rather it be us.

I totally agree. I really enjoyed this article and I think LJ is in the right here. Carl paid Priest so it is time to pony up and pay LJ.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 08:43 AM
So he only blew up at coaches twice, he only texted in meetings twice and that is Ok, because they were covering the same old shit.

Brilliant, sign him up and crown his ass. He has really matured.

stumppy
06-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Never have cared much for him. The way he comes across in interviews along with the other things you hear about him just rubs me the wrong way.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Never have cared much for him. The way he comes across in interviews along with the other things you hear about him just rubs me the wrong way.

Me either, he can't carry Priest Holmes jock. That being said, I hope we ride his ass to the SB.

FAX
06-21-2007, 08:57 AM
And, the storm clouds gather about Arrowhead.

FAX

PastorMikH
06-21-2007, 08:57 AM
There was much to discuss. Larry is on the books to make $1.7 million this season, a paltry sum for a fifth-year player with his resume. Speculation has centered on Johnson seeking a contract that falls between the deals given LaDainian Tomlinson ($21 million in guarantees) and Peyton Manning ($35 million in guarantees).

He isn't quite to the level of LT is so he his contract should be to not quite the level of LT's.

Here's a thought LJ, honor the contract you have now, be a team player, talk about how much you love being here, and play to a higher level than in the past and I'm willing to bet that next year your contract issues get taken care of and you get well taken care of.

Chiefnj
06-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Hmmm. It looks like there has already been some reworking of his contract numbers in years past. Lately articles say he is due to make 1.7 this year. Per his original signing #'s he was scheduled to make $854,000.

KC signs Larry Johnson 7yr 8.847 Mil - July 18, 2004
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1582216.html

The contract is worth $8.847 million and includes a signing bonus of $3.31 million. If Johnson reaches certain playing time benchmarks, the contract voids to five years and is worth $6.7 million.

The base salaries are $452,000 (2003), $515,000 (2004), $628,000 (2005), $741,000 (2006), $854,000 (2007), $967,000 (2008) and $1.08 million (2009). There are workout bonuses of $50,000 each for 2004-2009.

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Here's a thought LJ, honor the contract you have now, be a team player, talk about how much you love being here, and play to a higher level than in the past and I'm willing to bet that next year your contract issues get taken care of and you get well taken care of.

Except if his knee goes out and he's down for a season or something, diminishing his value...LJ needs to strike while the iron is hot. I don't blame him...he knows he's going to be the workhorse of this team (though I don't see us ever doing the 400+ carries to him ever again) and so now that he has value he needs to maximize it in case of injury.

I don't have a problem with that...

...but when Priest comes back, LJ better watch out... :p

seclark
06-21-2007, 09:04 AM

you must be as old as me...that stuff doesn't happen anymore.
sec

StcChief
06-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Shut up LJ
carry the rock, learn to block
the contract due you will be a lock

/fax

Ari Chi3fs
06-21-2007, 09:14 AM
As long as he's not taking classes from the Andre Rison, Tamarick Vanover or Bam Morris school of how to "hustle" money, I am sure we have nothing to worry about.

yeah, but this is LJ hustling.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9_SI9kAJ3A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9_SI9kAJ3A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Direckshun
06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
GOOD.

I WANT him to hold out.

If he holds out, that means he's serious about getting a contract now to tie him down, rather than waiting until free agency next year to test the waters.

I'm pretty sure we can get him for less now than we will if we're caught in a bidding war with five other teams. It'll still be an astronomical paycheck, but there you go.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
yeah, but this is LJ hustling.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9_SI9kAJ3A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9_SI9kAJ3A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

He better not quit his day job then.

KCFalcon59
06-21-2007, 09:23 AM
This shit is boring. LJ will get a contract just before TC or shortly after it begins. This is just theatrics.

Direckshun
06-21-2007, 09:32 AM
That said, this interview once again reveals the complex character of Larry Johnson.

He's not exactly the guy you'd bring home to your folks, but he openly knows that and discusses it. He's as aware of his shortcomings as anybody I've ever read interviewed, and he doesn't really skirt them, either.

He's coming along. He'll always come short of LT in terms of character. He'll always be the anti-hero. But hopefully, if Carl handles this correctly, he'll always be a Chief.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Hmmm. It looks like there has already been some reworking of his contract numbers in years past. Lately articles say he is due to make 1.7 this year. Per his original signing #'s he was scheduled to make $854,000.

KC signs Larry Johnson 7yr 8.847 Mil - July 18, 2004
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1582216.html

The contract is worth $8.847 million and includes a signing bonus of $3.31 million. If Johnson reaches certain playing time benchmarks, the contract voids to five years and is worth $6.7 million.

The base salaries are $452,000 (2003), $515,000 (2004), $628,000 (2005), $741,000 (2006), $854,000 (2007), $967,000 (2008) and $1.08 million (2009). There are workout bonuses of $50,000 each for 2004-2009.

EXCELLENT find.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 10:11 AM
This was a media or Whitlock driven piece. His lastest thing seems to be, look out Chiefs players! Carl will screw you over! It's like asking LJ what is the worst case scenario, then going with that as if that's the only option.

EGG-zackly, particularly the part in bold.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

greg63
06-21-2007, 10:13 AM
A hold out would not surprise me.

bringbackmarty
06-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I hope we trade him, he is a one trick pony in my book. That amount of money in a RB is stupid. Anyone can carry the rock and win a SB. Anyone who loses their playbook should lose their job.
Calling Carl out like that was dumb too. Look at how long the Green thing went on, and look how close he got to being the seven million dollar third string.
I hope we trade him tomorrow, and never look back. Croyle isn't going to do shit this year anyways.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I hope we trade him, he is a one trick pony in my book. That amount of money in a RB is stupid. Anyone can carry the rock and win a SB. Anyone who loses their playbook should lose their job.
Calling Carl out like that was dumb too. Look at how long the Green thing went on, and look how close he got to being the seven million dollar third string.
I hope we trade him tomorrow, and never look back. Croyle isn't going to do shit this year anyways.

Yeah, this coming from a guy who's user name is bringbackmarty. You are a genious.

BigRedChief
06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
The answers seem rehearsed with his agent but thats to be expected. It was an arranged interview that took weekes to set up. He has to be careful and not burn any bridges like Allen did with the fans.

We have $7 million in new cap room(thanks Trent) give that to him this year. He's going to ask for bigger numbers than LT and he should get it not because he's better than LT but because the cap is $25 million larger than when LT signed his deal.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Whitlock and his obsession to make Carl look like an ass appears to have set this up.
so there is something untrue in this article?

BigRedChief
06-21-2007, 10:33 AM
A hold out would not surprise me.
He does have some leverage. Do you want an unhappy RB carrying the rock for your team 30 times a game? Hitting the holes at full speed? I bet no NFL team ever slaps a "franchise" tag on a RB or QB and they actually play that season under that tag. At those positions it has to used as a business tactic only.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 10:36 AM

Untrue? No.

Set up? Absolutely.

afchiefs
06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
THOSE THAT FORGET THEIR PAST ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT!!!

Can you say RB by committe

Pay the man. He earned it!!

Micjones
06-21-2007, 10:57 AM

There are a million different hustles.
And many of them are perfectly legal.

Pay the man and ultimately we won't have to worry about it anyway.

Hydrae
06-21-2007, 11:00 AM
So he only blew up at coaches twice, he only texted in meetings twice and that is Ok, because they were covering the same old shit.

Actually that may be the part of the article I liked the best. He admitted that those things were wrong and pointed out how he gets the other RBs together and they sit in the front. Not only does this show that he is up front (in front of everyone, notice how aware he is of those things) and learning/paying attention but is displaying some true leadership in getting the other RBs up there with him.

And I am sorry, I know it is a tough sport that brings in huge money and the players deserve a big piece of that bu don' try making me feel sory fo his financial future. Give me $1.7 mill and I can live the rest of my life very nicely, thank you very much. This is not to say he doesn't deserve it, just don't try to pull on my heartstrings about how he has to be able to feed his kids.

afchiefs
06-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Big Jax said on Grunny show that he thought LJ would hold out, not due to contract neg. but because it is his one chance to miss alot of training camp.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2007, 11:03 AM
i wonder if LJ would of given this interview to a white reporter? :hmmm:

Cochise
06-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I bet Whitlock has been sporting wood since the end of the wild card game about throwing gas on this fire.

King_Chief_Fan
06-21-2007, 11:07 AM

nope nothing untrue. My point is Whitlock is pretty smart and knows how to captalize on the situation. He gets his story, CP looks like an idiot. All is good for him.

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
his agent is 28 yrs old....he probably won't get the nuance in "sit down and shut the &*&$ up!"....

jwhit
06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
EXCELLENT find.

he hit the escalators in his original contract. there was no renegotiation. a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

jwhit
06-21-2007, 11:30 AM
i wonder if LJ would of given this interview to a white reporter? :hmmm:

i wonder if he would've given this interview to a skinny reporter?

Chiefnj
06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
he hit the escalators in his original contract. there was no renegotiation. a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Next time you are on the pre-game buffet line tell your buddy Lenny to include the escalators in his reports.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Next time you are on the pre-game buffet line tell your buddy Lenny to include the escalators in his reports.

Those facts aren't relevant. Besides, you're not a big-shot writer, you don't need to know.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I do like the every time Jason writes an article like this, he comes here for validation.

Be proud, Chiefsplanet. Be proud.

keg in kc
06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
And the public portion of the negotiations begin.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
i wonder if he would've given this interview to a skinny reporter?
hey ... LJ said(basically) that he preferred a black head coach. :shrug:

i wonder if his agent is black? :hmmm:

Wile_E_Coyote
06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
National exposure must be like a drug

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 12:03 PM
He's still not going to hold out. Whitlock is just generating drama over nothing.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Actually that may be the part of the article I liked the best. He admitted that those things were wrong and pointed out how he gets the other RBs together and they sit in the front. Not only does this show that he is up front (in front of everyone, notice how aware he is of those things) and learning/paying attention but is displaying some true leadership in getting the other RBs up there with him..

I wanted to arrive at the same opinion, however, he did attempt to justify his "Text Messaging" by saying it was an offensive meeting with the same old stuff. That queered it for me.

And I am sorry, I know it is a tough sport that brings in huge money and the players deserve a big piece of that bu don' try making me feel sory fo his financial future. Give me $1.7 mill and I can live the rest of my life very nicely, thank you very much. This is not to say he doesn't deserve it, just don't try to pull on my heartstrings about how he has to be able to feed his kids.

Exactly, Dad and everyone is trying to help him save his money to weather the storm. Poor guy, hope he can pull it off. He may have to fly commercial to NY!

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I wanted to arrive at the same opinion, however, he did attempt to justify his "Text Messaging" by saying it was an offensive meeting with the same old stuff. That queered it for me.

He admitted he made a mistake. Stop trying to LOOK for a reason to hate LJ, because there isn't one.

Chiefnj
06-21-2007, 12:16 PM
He's still not going to hold out. Whitlock is just generating drama over nothing.

Are you sad that your boss didn't get the exclusive interview?

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
He admitted he made a mistake. Stop trying to LOOK for a reason to hate LJ, because there isn't one.

He justified and rationalized his mistake, end of story wise one.

Raiderhader
06-21-2007, 12:30 PM
This shit is boring. LJ will get a contract just before TC or shortly after it begins. This is just theatrics.

Most likely.

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 12:30 PM

He ADMITTED IT WAS A MISTAKE.

Christ, what do you want? A written apology? You're sitting here bitching about things that happened YEARS ago.

Raiderhader
06-21-2007, 12:32 PM

Sure, that was his justification at the time. NOW he admits that is was wrong. I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than needs be.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Exactly, Dad and everyone is trying to help him save his money to weather the storm. Poor guy, hope he can pull it off. He may have to fly commercial to NY!

Come on, Ed. Comments like these make you look little and petty and those are two words that I would normally not use to describe you.

Bottom line is this: LJ's in a business that pays X amount to people that perform like he does. You don't expect the Top Salesman in a firm to be paid like the guy who just started yesterday. That's ridiculous. Pay him what he deserves to be paid in relation to the other players performing in his position and move on.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Come on, Ed. Comments like these make you look little and petty and those are two words that I would normally not use to describe you.

Bottom line is this: LJ's in a business that pays X amount to people that perform like he does. You don't expect the Top Salesman in a firm to be paid like the guy who just started yesterday. That's ridiculous. Pay him what he deserves to be paid in relation to the other players performing in his position and move on.

The sadest part is that if LJ were a free agent and we needed a RB, most everyone on here would be shouting "Get it done Carl
:cuss: :cuss: . But since we have him, we are not appreciative of being in this position. Sign the man for the money he is deserved.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 01:01 PM
He ADMITTED IT WAS A MISTAKE.

Christ, what do you want? A written apology? You're sitting here bitching about things that happened YEARS ago.

Johnson: “Only thing that would make me a bad teammate at times is when they see me arguing with coaches in front of them. And that only happened one time. Well, twice — my rookie year and last year.

This is a pattern, last year being the most recent sample. We don't have a sample later than that, do you know of one? He is trying to say the right things for contract negotiation purposes. You should work on your reading of articles, not just writing them.

Sure, that was his justification at the time. NOW he admits that is was wrong. I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than needs be.

You have a point but it is football talk, and he has been a squeeky wheel since arriving in KC. It started the day he was drafted. I am spoiled to Priest Holmes types I guess.

Raiderhader
06-21-2007, 01:07 PM
[/B]
You have a point but it is football talk, and he has been a squeeky wheel since arriving in KC. It started the day he was drafted. I am spoiled to Priest Holmes types I guess.

I love Priest to death, but let us not forget that he has been the center of a controversy or two his own self.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
I am spoiled to Priest Holmes types I guess.

You mean types that would rather hang out in seclusion in Texas than be with their teammates?

Or the ones who like to answer questions with only "Get paid"?

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
[/B]
Johnson: “Only thing that would make me a bad teammate at times is when they see me arguing with coaches in front of them. And that only happened one time. Well, twice — my rookie year and last year.

Now you're moving on to something else? I was only talking about the text messaging thing.

Who cares if he argued with someone? People in all sorts of professions argue ALL THE TIME. It doesn't mean the guy is some kind of dick. The fact that it's only happened TWICE IN FOUR YEARS is NOT something to complain about.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Priest Holmes-types? You mean a guy who publicly complains that he "needs to get paid", then can't finish a season? A guy who no one can find, eats nachos in the press box and refused to be a part of the team? A guy who's looking for a medical way out because he doesn't want to fulfill his contract?

No thank you. One Priest Holmes is enough.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 01:13 PM
The sadest part is that if LJ were a free agent and we needed a RB, most everyone on here would be shouting "Get it done Carl
:cuss: :cuss: . But since we have him, we are not appreciative of being in this position. Sign the man for the money he is deserved.

I don't think you'd find too many people here clamoring to pay him an 8-year, $80M contract if he weren't a member of the Chiefs...

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Furthermore, we're talking about extremely minor incidents. They weren't Jeff George-esque tirades. If they were, the national media would have latched onto it.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 01:18 PM

He is a very, very good running back, one of the best the Chiefs have ever had. But, he needs a lot of improvement in two areas, blocking and receiving.

Do I believe that all of a sudden he has overcome these issues, no. He is saying the right things for contract negotiation. By his own admission, he has had altercations with coaches on the sidelines, 2 out of his 4 years, 50%. I might believe him if it was his first two, but one was just last year.

So you want to give the guy the keys to the franchise? Not me. What is he going to be like, after cashing a huge signing bonus?
Can the Chiefs do better, I don't think so. Well, unless Priest were to come back. He deserves a reasonable contract extension IMO.

Demonpenz
06-21-2007, 01:18 PM
how the hell do you have to hustle money when your in the nfl

ChiefsfaninPA
06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't think you'd find too many people here clamoring to pay him an 8-year, $80M contract if he weren't a member of the Chiefs...

I would disagree. At points when we needed a CB and we were trying to get Law some on this board would've thought of paying him that much. Not all, but a majority would feel this way if we had a history of terrible RB's and we felt like this was the piece we were missing.

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
y his own admission, he has had altercations with coaches on the sidelines, 2 out of his 4 years, 50%. I might believe him if it was his first two, but one was just last year.

LOL. Fifty percent.

How about 2 games out of 64. That's 3.1%.

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 01:23 PM

SO you can take care of your peeps and stuff, yo...

Demonpenz
06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
The other 50 percent he is pouting or not putting in his mouth piece when a pass play is called.

Demonpenz
06-21-2007, 01:24 PM
rappers and athletes like to glorify hustling. Let me tell you larry There is nothing glorious about it

afchiefs
06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
He is a very, very good running back, one of the best the Chiefs have ever had. But, he needs a lot of improvement in two areas, blocking and receiving.

Do I believe that all of a sudden he has overcome these issues, no. He is saying the right things for contract negotiation. By his own admission, he has had altercations with coaches on the sidelines, 2 out of his 4 years, 50%. I might believe him if it was his first two, but one was just last year.
So you want to give the guy the keys to the franchise? Not me. What is he going to be like, after cashing a huge signing bonus?
Can the Chiefs do better, I don't think so. Well, unless Priest were to come back. He deserves a reasonable contract extension IMO.

What he thinking? He should just be cut, arguing with a coach on the sideline. He should act more like Rich Gannon/Jon Gruden.

Oh wait they fought like cats and dogs on the sideline all the time

Bad example. Nevermind. Carry on

Fruit Ninja
06-21-2007, 01:29 PM
rappers and athletes like to glorify hustling. Let me tell you larry There is nothing glorious about it
He didnt say he was hustling illegally. Just getting paid to do whatever is hustling. It could be making money doing a commercial, or it could be money from wearing a certain type of clothing or riding in a certain type of car. Hustling doesnt only mean selling drugs, or selling anything illegal.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 01:30 PM

I'm sure you're thinking of definition 4. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean it the way you're trying to make it sound.

hus·tle

–verb (used without object)
1. to proceed or work rapidly or energetically: to hustle about putting a house in order.
2. to push or force one's way; jostle or shove.
3. to be aggressive, esp. in business or other financial dealings.
4. Slang. to earn one's living by illicit or unethical means.
5. Slang. (of a prostitute) to solicit clients.
–verb (used with object) 6. to convey or cause to move, esp. to leave, roughly or hurriedly: They hustled him out of the bar.
7. to pressure or coerce (a person) to buy or do something: to hustle the customers into buying more drinks.
8. to urge, prod, or speed up: Hustle your work along.
9. to obtain by aggressive or illicit means: He could always hustle a buck or two from some sucker.
10. to beg; solicit.
11. to sell in or work (an area), esp. by high-pressure tactics: The souvenir venders began hustling the town at dawn.
12. to sell aggressively: to hustle souvenirs.
13. to jostle, push, or shove roughly.
14. Slang. to induce (someone) to gamble or to promote (a gambling game) when the odds of winning are overwhelmingly in one's own favor.
15. Slang. to cheat; swindle: They hustled him out of his savings.
16. Slang. a. (of a prostitute) to solicit (someone).
b. to attempt to persuade (someone) to have sexual relations.
c. to promote or publicize in a lively, vigorous, or aggressive manner: an author hustling her new book on the TV talk shows.

–noun 17. energetic activity, as in work.
18. discourteous shoving, pushing, or jostling.
19. Slang. a. an inducing by fraud, pressure, or deception, esp. of inexperienced or uninformed persons, to buy something, to participate in an illicit scheme, dishonest gambling game, etc.
b. such a product, scheme, gambling game, etc.

20. Informal. a competitive struggle: the hustle to earn a living.
21. a fast, lively, popular ballroom dance evolving from Latin American, swing, rock, and disco dance styles, with a strong basic rhythm and simple step pattern augmented by strenuous turns, breaks, etc.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 01:31 PM
I would disagree. At points when we needed a CB and we were trying to get Law some on this board would've thought of paying him that much. Not all, but a majority would feel this way if we had a history of terrible RB's and we felt like this was the piece we were missing.

I would venture to guess that you'd struggle to find a dozen people on this bulletin board that would WANT to give $80M to a 28-year old RB coming off a 416-carry season if he were a street free agent.

The ONLY reason people think he deserves it is because he's a Chief.

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm sure you're thinking of definition 4. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean it the way you're trying to make it sound.

hus·tle

–verb (used without object)
1. to proceed or work rapidly or energetically: to hustle about putting a house in order.
2. to push or force one's way; jostle or shove.
3. to be aggressive, esp. in business or other financial dealings.
4. Slang. to earn one's living by illicit or unethical means.
5. Slang. (of a prostitute) to solicit clients.
–verb (used with object) 6. to convey or cause to move, esp. to leave, roughly or hurriedly: They hustled him out of the bar.
7. to pressure or coerce (a person) to buy or do something: to hustle the customers into buying more drinks.
8. to urge, prod, or speed up: Hustle your work along.
9. to obtain by aggressive or illicit means: He could always hustle a buck or two from some sucker.
10. to beg; solicit.
11. to sell in or work (an area), esp. by high-pressure tactics: The souvenir venders began hustling the town at dawn.
12. to sell aggressively: to hustle souvenirs.
13. to jostle, push, or shove roughly.
14. Slang. to induce (someone) to gamble or to promote (a gambling game) when the odds of winning are overwhelmingly in one's own favor.
15. Slang. to cheat; swindle: They hustled him out of his savings.
16. Slang. a. (of a prostitute) to solicit (someone).
b. to attempt to persuade (someone) to have sexual relations.
c. to promote or publicize in a lively, vigorous, or aggressive manner: an author hustling her new book on the TV talk shows.

–noun 17. energetic activity, as in work.
18. discourteous shoving, pushing, or jostling.
19. Slang. a. an inducing by fraud, pressure, or deception, esp. of inexperienced or uninformed persons, to buy something, to participate in an illicit scheme, dishonest gambling game, etc.
b. such a product, scheme, gambling game, etc.

20. Informal. a competitive struggle: the hustle to earn a living.
21. a fast, lively, popular ballroom dance evolving from Latin American, swing, rock, and disco dance styles, with a strong basic rhythm and simple step pattern augmented by strenuous turns, breaks, etc.

I thought it was definition number 21...my bad.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I thought it was definition number 21...my bad.

ROFL

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 01:33 PM

Okay then, Ed, what do you propose the Chiefs should do in this situation? Not pay him market value? Trade him? All because in five years as a member of the Chiefs, he took/sent TWO text messages and argued with the coaching staff? So that somehow negates his performance on the football field?

This is a BUSINESS.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-21-2007, 01:34 PM
The ONLY reason people think he deserves it is because he's a Chief.

I think he deserves it because of his past achievments which I believe will continue in the future. It does sway me more because he is a Chief but I don't care what salary any player makes. It seems more people are pissed because he is capable of making this. It is a class envy thing.

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 01:35 PM
The thing about LJ is he was second in rushing last season...even though he carried the ball way to many times, it show his durability and strength...could LT have lasted the season carrying that many times? He didn't have to because he had a much more complete team. LJ rocked when we had an O line that moved people for him. He got those yards on sheer grit last season. He gets a ton of credit for that in my book.

...just not LT money.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 01:37 PM
What he thinking? He should just be cut, arguing with a coach on the sideline. He should act more like Rich Gannon/Jon Gruden.

Oh wait they fought like cats and dogs on the sideline all the time

Bad example. Nevermind. Carry on

ROFL No place to start on this one. ROFL

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Okay then, Ed, what do you propose the Chiefs should do in this situation? Not pay him market value? Trade him? All because in five years as a member of the Chiefs, he took/sent TWO text messages and argued with the coaching staff? So that somehow negates his performance on the football field?

This is a BUSINESS. I don't know what business you're in but when someone performs at the highest level in their profession, year in, year out, those people are generally given some slack. You have no idea whatsoever what was happening in those meetings when he texted someone and you have no idea what was said to him that made him yell at a coach. And who the hell cares, anyway? The guy has proven to be a top five NFL running back? Is it sooooo important that he be the type of guy to date your only daughter?

BTW, Priest Holmes is NEVER coming back to the NFL.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
LOL. Fifty percent.

How about 2 games out of 64. That's 3.1%.

You are selling him short, heck there was 230,400 seconds in those games, you could probably really come up with a small number. Of course a guy would have to know how long the altercations lasted, to arrive at an accurate percentage. But it might be worth it, to make him look like he is worth $80 million.

Of course, we would have to factor out those games included in your 64, prior to the diapers coming off.

Demonpenz
06-21-2007, 01:45 PM
oh god the thought of larry johnson doing the hustle while people give him money is cracking me up

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
oh god the thought of larry johnson doing the hustle while people give him money is cracking me up

All the while flashing his TD hand thingee...

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Okay then, Ed, what do you propose the Chiefs should do in this situation? Not pay him market value? Trade him? All because in five years as a member of the Chiefs, he took/sent TWO text messages and argued with the coaching staff? So that somehow negates his performance on the football field?.
Excellent questions. He has played 48 games, in 4 years on the field (03,04,05,06). He has proven, as I stated IMO, to be one of the best running backs of all time for the Chiefs. But he has proven to have issues since the outset, both on and off the field. I think the contract should be fair to both sides, not just Larry Johnson. Incentives from improvements would be a good start. If he has truly grown up, he shouldn't have a problem with it.

This is a BUSINESS. I don't know what business you're in but when someone performs at the highest level in their profession, year in, year out, those people are generally given some slack. You have no idea whatsoever what was happening in those meetings when he texted someone and you have no idea what was said to him that made him yell at a coach. And who the hell cares, anyway? The guy has proven to be a top five NFL running back? Is it sooooo important that he be the type of guy to date your only daughter? .
I am not going to let my top salesman date my daughter.... well my daughters are old enough now that I no longer have a choice.
I don't think we disagree that he is one of the best running backs, but this article raised issues. He is claiming to be something I don't think he is, to extract the highest contract possible. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not from Missouri but i have been there.

BTW, Priest Holmes is NEVER coming back to the NFL.

You are probably right, but I like to hold on to that, until it is in black and white. Heck, who knows, Priest Holmes could suck without Will and Willie.

tiptap
06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Both of our tackles have been replaced. Our runs to right tackle sucked. And that is bad because while you would like your LT to be a force in the run game first and foremost you want him to be there for pass protection. It is the RT that should see the real production in the running game. LJ did not have the line to shine last year, I think we have better overall play this year. (Note I am not saying that we have better play in the middle but overall better play across the line in the running game this year compared to last.) The options to run in ALL directions gives a chance for the short passing game to a threat again. Give LJ the contract. Who do you want to pay to have good football. Hunt? Edwards? Peterson? Hell pay the players. I have always felt the Chiefs have tried to pay all the players well and spread the wealth. And it is ok to think in those terms in signing other players down the line. But LJ is what will make this team go for the next two or three years, not our QB and as this team as been molded to work that, it is time to pay him.

However I am all for him holding out and avoiding the worst of the preseason since he carried the rock so much last year. I EXPECT a holdout. That is good. And deal in plenty of time for the season.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Excellent questions. He has played 48 games, in 4 years on the field (03,04,05,06). He has proven, as I stated IMO, to be one of the best running backs of all time for the Chiefs. But he has proven to have issues since the outset, both on and off the field. I think the contract should be fair to both sides, not just Larry Johnson. Incentives from improvements would be a good start. If he has truly grown up, he shouldn't have a problem with it.

I am not going to let my top salesman date my daughter.... well my daughters are old enough now that I no longer have a choice.
I don't think we disagree that he is one of the best running backs, but this article raised issues. He is claiming to be something I don't think he is, to extract the highest contract possible. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not from Missouri but i have been there.

You are probably right, but I like to hold on to that, until it is in black and white. Heck, who knows, Priest Holmes could suck without Will and Willie.

Which is it dude?

First you blast LJ because of the text messages and arguments with coaches. Then you blast him for not blocking.

Do you have a problem with LJ's performance ON or OFF the field?

Because they guy you keep bringing up, Priest Holmes, was ANYTHING BUT the model citizen outside the white lines.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I think he deserves it because of his past achievments which I believe will continue in the future. It does sway me more because he is a Chief but I don't care what salary any player makes. It seems more people are pissed because he is capable of making this. It is a class envy thing.

No, people are pissed because:

1) He's 28-years old.
2) He's carried the ball ALOT.

It has nothing to do with his social status. He's NOT WORTH tying up that much salary cap when he could break down at any time.

BigRock
06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
GOOD.

I WANT him to hold out.

If he holds out, that means he's serious about getting a contract now to tie him down, rather than waiting until free agency next year to test the waters.
Exactly. The very first reply here mockingly said "Larry loves KC, he'd never hold out". If Larry holds out, it means he wants to stay in KC. If he wanted out, he'd just play the season and go.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Which is it dude?

First you blast LJ because of the text messages and arguments with coaches. Then you blast him for not blocking.

Do you have a problem with LJ's performance ON or OFF the field?

Because they guy you keep bringing up, Priest Holmes, was ANYTHING BUT the model citizen outside the white lines.

It is both DUDE! I don't like the ****er, now you ****ing happy?

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 03:06 PM

It's quite obvious you don't like LJ because Dick Vermeil didn't like him. You should learn to accept the fact that LJ will do more for the Chiefs than Vermeil ever did. And Priest Holmes, too.

Reerun_KC
06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
It's quite obvious you don't like LJ because Dick Vermeil didn't like him. You should learn to accept the fact that LJ will do more for the Chiefs than Vermeil ever did. And Priest Holmes, too.

What the Hell GoChiefs? Are you LJ's personal ballwasher?

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 03:10 PM

He is also the same guy the started the "Germ Warfare" crap, now he loves him. I can't remember how many avatars I had blocked during that time, but it was a bunch.

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 03:12 PM
He is also the same guy the started the "Germ Warfare" crap, now he loves him.

People can change, HemiEd. Hopefully you'll stop leading "Larry's Lynchers" and join the good side one of these days. :D

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 03:13 PM

So if you read my posts, if LJ is going to better than Priest Holmes, that means he is going to start blocking and catching the ball. I am good with that, especially if he doesn't show up the coaches.

I will be waiting for him to prove it, his words don't matter.

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 03:17 PM
So if you read my posts, if LJ is going to better than Priest Holmes, that means he is going to start blocking and catching the ball. I am good with that, especially if he doesn't show up the coaches.

Having an argument <> "showing up the coaches." Priest wasn't great at catching the ball when he came here but worked hard to be that way. You should cut LJ the same slack, and he DID have 40 catches last year. It's not like he's Donnell Bennett out there.

I will be waiting for him to prove it, his words don't matter.

And yet his WORDS are the only reason you are bitching in this thread. I am guessing no matter what LJ said you would find some reason to twist it in a negative light.

tk13
06-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Both Priest and LJ aren't going to do anything without a defense. That's just crazy talk, and you know it.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Having an argument <> "showing up the coaches." Priest wasn't great at catching the ball when he came here but worked hard to be that way. You should cut LJ the same slack, and he DID have 40 catches last year. It's not like he's Donnell Bennett out there. .
I try and find the positives, one might be that Trent Green couldn't throw a catchable screen pass until the last game of the season against Jax.
He is a Chief, a very good Chief, but I still can't overlook his warts. Nobody answered, would you give this guy the keys to the franchise if you were Carl Peterson?

And yet his WORDS are the only reason you are bitching in this thread. I am guessing no matter what LJ said you would find some reason to twist it in a negative light.

Nah, the reason I am bitching in this thread, is have found no better thread today. But LJ is the one that spoke those words, not me. As I said in my first or second post, I hope we ride his ass to the SB.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 03:28 PM

And FINALLY, we have the real answer. Lord knows that NO ONE on the 'Planet has ever made a post in this forum from work and NO ONE on the 'Planet has EVER had any type of disagreement with his boss or co-workers, regardless of his salary and position. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised that more players aren't openly unhappy with playing in Kansas City because of the ridiculous expectations of their fans. This just reaffirms that there is absolutely NO WAY in hell that the NBA will ever work in KC because as we all know, they're ALL thugs. :shake:

El Jefe
06-21-2007, 03:29 PM

I will agree with you on that, but he is a top notch calibur of football player and I dont want to see him leave. Im not much for his Roc-a-fella crap and all that, but he produces on the field. How long can he produce like that is the question, because he could collect a big fat salary and get hurt next season, you just never know.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 03:32 PM

As long as you're willing to admit that you are espousing a double-standard, I'm fine with that.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
he will take any position that will garner the most attention.

position ... negative .... doesn't matter.

you can see the absolutes in his comments when he wants somebody to fight with.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 03:38 PM
As long as you're willing to admit that you are espousing a double-standard, I'm fine with that.

There is also the fact that time has healed some of Priest Holmes warts.

LJ admitted having problems on the sideline LAST year. Why would anyone believe he is now the model player? Why would anyone give him the biggest contract in Franchise history?

FAX
06-21-2007, 03:39 PM
I, for one, empathize with your point of view, Mr. HemiEd.

I am not a huge fan of LJ for a variety of reasons - some of which are easy to articulate and some of which are not. I keep waiting for that to change, but it hasn't yet.

He was effective behind the best o-line in football and that's what he's basing a lot of his current, perceived value on. I think this year is the true test of his ability to help this team.

FAX

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 03:39 PM
he will take any position that will garner the most attention.

position ... negative .... doesn't matter.

you can see the absolutes in his comments when he wants somebody to fight with.

yep.

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 03:41 PM
He was effective behind the best o-line in football and that's what he's basing a lot of his current, perceived value on.

He was effective behind one of the worst, too.

Reerun_KC
06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
This is getting to be as bad as the Huard/Hootie manswallowfest we had last year...

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 03:50 PM

LJ admitted having problems on the sideline LAST year. Why would anyone believe he is now the model player? Why would anyone give him the biggest contract in Franchise history?

Yeah, why not? WTF do you care whether it's the biggest contract in the Chiefs history? Is it coming out of your pocket?

FAX
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
He was effective behind one of the worst, too.

The only difference was that it took him a total of 10,000 additional carries to acquire about 40 additional yards, Mr. GoChiefs.

Honestly, I appreciate LJ fans. And, there's a part of me that likes his play and potential. I also know that I probably deserve to be roasted over burning labias for this, but I'm not sure he's the second coming of Jim Brown.

FAX

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
I, for one, empathize with your point of view, Mr. HemiEd.

I am not a huge fan of LJ for a variety of reasons - some of which are easy to articulate and some of which are not. I keep waiting for that to change, but it hasn't yet.

He was effective behind the best o-line in football and that's what he's basing a lot of his current, perceived value on. I think this year is the true test of his ability to help this team.

FAX

Exactly! I will admit however, that I will get all giddy when he scores his next TD and will go totally bananas if he has a year that earns what he is asking for, and is probably going to get.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 03:54 PM

I wouldn't give him that contract, but it has nothing to do with any of the stuff you've mentioned.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't give him that contract, but it has nothing to do with any of the stuff you've mentioned.

It doesn't matter if it's LJ or Jared Allen or Brodie Croyle. Somebody's gonna get the biggest contract in Chiefs history (right now, that somebody is Tony G.). Who cares who gets it?

LJ's gonna get paid. Whether it's as much as he'd like remains to be seen. But he's gonna receive a huge contract. It's just a matter of time.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah, why not? WTF do you care whether it's the biggest contract in the Chiefs history? Is it coming out of your pocket?

Now this post does not fit with my perception of your personna. If this guy, for the reasons stated, receives the biggest contract in Chiefs history, what message is that sending to the young players?

Here is a clue, it is ok to do those things, if you are the best option for the Chiefs.

Many of the same posters that are downplaying his issues, are the same ones that say the team is rebuilding with youth. Not many expectations for this coming season. So lets sour the pot, with a guy that is not taking the team anywhere anyway? I fail to see the continuity in this logic.

If LJ were the final piece to the puzzle, wouldn't it shed a different light?

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 04:01 PM
It doesn't matter if it's LJ or Jared Allen or Brodie Croyle. Somebody's gonna get the biggest contract in Chiefs history (right now, that somebody is Tony G.). Who cares who gets it?

LJ's gonna get paid. Whether it's as much as he'd like remains to be seen. But he's gonna receive a huge contract. It's just a matter of time.

It does matter who it is. Jared Allen's potential career length is more than DOUBLE what LJ's is. Croyle even more so. I would never give an historic contract to a RB, plain and simple.

RB's don't last long. It's a FACT.

RB's right out of college can expect to play, on average, about 5 years. LJ is already nearing 30 and he's already touched the ball ALOT.

ROYC75
06-21-2007, 04:02 PM
It doesn't matter about the money or the contract, LJ wants his nachos too.......

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Now this post does not fit with my perception of your personna. If this guy, for the reasons stated, receives the biggest contract in Chiefs history, what message is that sending to the young players?

Here is a clue, it is ok to do those things, if you are the best option for the Chiefs.

Many of the same posters that are downplaying his issues, are the same ones that say the team is rebuilding with youth. Not many expectations for this coming season. So lets sour the pot, with a guy that is not taking the team anywhere anyway? I fail to see the continuity in this logic.

WHAT?

Now LJ is teaching the young players bad habits?

I guess there's no risk of him rubbing off in them if he works out by himself in Texas and isn't ever around them, huh?

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 04:05 PM

Wow. That's quite a reach.

afchiefs
06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
LJ is our offense. Period

You want to replace him. Fine, with who?, I would like names.

Premier RB are not a dime a dozen. Don't want to take a risk on a big contract. Fine that makes sense, but the bigger risk would be trading LJ and hoping the newbie is half as good. We have been spoiled with RB's,Allen then Holmes now LJ. Look at the period before Marcus and tell me who you think was the last premier RB we had and what year and why.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Ed, I don't get it. You seem to be passionate about NOT giving LJ a big contract, yet you're pointing out little details as to why you don't want him to get it. Text messages. An argument with a coach.

As I stated earlier (and you didn't reply), name me one CP Member, regardless of salary or position, who *hasn't* posted on this forum during work hours. Name me one CP Member, regardless of salary or position, that hasn't had an "altercation" with his boss or employer at one time or another.

This is a non-issue. It's not sending *any* message to younger players other than "You perform, you get paid". Bottom line. If you treat another player like sh*t during contract negotiations, especially someone who's performed as well LJ has, you're just asking for trouble when other young players contracts begin to expire. The guys will be lining up to bail and the Chiefs will gain a reputation as a team that "uses" up players and tosses them to the wayside.

FAX
06-21-2007, 04:09 PM
LJ or no LJ, I think you guys are forgetting the fact that we have two damn fine fullbacks in the wings who are new to the position.

There's absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

FAX

Valiant
06-21-2007, 04:16 PM
He does need a new contract for what he has done..

IF I were structuring it, it would be 75% of what LT is getting and then tons of bonuses that could catapult it past LT's salary...

Say 5year 38 million, and then gets a million dollar bonus each year he gets over 1750 yards rushing or 23+ tds.. That way he gets paid a average amount of the top RB's in the league and if he gets a shitload of yards or td's then he gets bonus for that also..

Would be a win/win for the Chiefs...

As for being the highest paid player for the Chiefs, that is going to keep happening for different players as the salary cap goes up each year...

Demonpenz
06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
does it really matter who is in our backfield we are shooting for 2009 or so for our next good team. By then johnson will be a couple years removed from da league

FAX
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
does it really matter who is in our backfield we are shooting for 2009 or so for our next good team. By then johnson will be a couple years removed from da league

Exactly, Mr. Demonpenz. Your wisdom is impressive. May the Muse Of Lengthy Labias take up residence in your significant other's bikini bottom.

FAX

Fruit Ninja
06-21-2007, 04:25 PM
i dont think i have heard anyone say that, even the biggest contracts never fully pay out. Say LJ signs a 7 year 80million, does anyone actually think he's going to see all of that?

Direckshun
06-21-2007, 04:32 PM
We shouldn't downplay his importance to his offense.

RB is a deep position in the NFL, but if you're looking for the best possible RB for a power-running, possession offense, the field gets significantly smaller and the only power runner close to LJ right now is Stephen Jackson and Frank Gore.

We've hit the jackpot with LJ. He's shown impressive durability (didn't miss a week after that horrific neck injury) so it's entirely possible he lasts a year or two after 30, still effective as a premier back or even deadly in a RBBC system.

Let's not underestimate his importance in this team. He's worth a massive contract, money-wise. It's the length of the contract that makes me nervous, but I figure we should be able to pawn him off after a few years. The Browns took Jamal Lewis, for god's sake.

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
i dont think i have heard anyone say that, even the biggest contracts never fully pay out. Say LJ signs a 7 year 80million, does anyone actually think he's going to see all of that?

Of course not.

The issue isn't the base salary, it's the signing bonus.

That's guaranteed money and it's pro-rated over the life of the contract. If he gets a $24M bonus, let's say on an 8-year deal, and he plays one season, we're on the hook for $3M per year for 7 years after he's gone.

afchiefs
06-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Johnson will be two years removed from the league in 2009? Does that mean he's already played his last game?

I know I tend to be on the Optimist side for the Chiefs but to be a true pessimeist(SPEL) and say we are going to suk for the next 2 years is something I can't do. I need to watch the games and if I don't think they have a prayer then whats the point. Lets wait and see. One of us will be right. I just hope its me. :D

afchiefs
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=huskerdooz]http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/158912.html

Keels: “Previous reports of what we are asking for have been a bit misleading. I have heard reports that we are seeking an eight-year deal worth as much as $80 to $90 million or as much guaranteed money as Peyton Manning. Without getting into any specific details, this is not the case.

He is wanting between 21-35 million in guaranteed money. Is that asking too much, I don't know. sounds like a lot but what are you going to do. Still waiting for my reply to post 124

Fruit Ninja
06-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Of course not.

The issue isn't the base salary, it's the signing bonus.

That's guaranteed money and it's pro-rated over the life of the contract. If he gets a $24M bonus, let's say on an 8-year deal, and he plays one season, we're on the hook for $3M per year for 7 years after he's gone.Take that chance with anyone. Its just the Running backs the chances increase.(thats something we all know anyways) LJ carried the team last year. I think the team will be a better overall team this year. I say **** it, pay the man. Its comming out of the Hunts pocklet. Carl has never really put this team in cap problems. He's good with this crap.

Demonpenz
06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Exactly, Mr. Demonpenz. Your wisdom is impressive. May the Muse Of Lengthy Labias take up residence in your significant other's bikini bottom.

FAX

how I love a suckle lengthy labia

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 04:51 PM
WHAT?

I guess there's no risk of him rubbing off in them if he works out by himself in Texas and isn't ever around them, huh?

You just don't understand. IT is the CHIEFS that would be sending the message to the young players, by giving the contract.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
He does need a new contract for what he has done..

IF I were structuring it, it would be 75% of what LT is getting and then tons of bonuses that could catapult it past LT's salary...

Say 5year 38 million, and then gets a million dollar bonus each year he gets over 1750 yards rushing or 23+ tds.. That way he gets paid a average amount of the top RB's in the league and if he gets a shitload of yards or td's then he gets bonus for that also..

Would be a win/win for the Chiefs...

I like it. But I get the impression LJ won't.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 04:59 PM
You just don't understand. IT is the CHIEFS that would be sending the message to the young players, by giving the contract.

That is so completely, UNTRUE. LJ has led the league in yards and in rushing attempts. Benny Sapp isn't going to think that by giving LJ the contract he desires that suddenly, Benny Sapp's going to get a $30 million dollar bonus, too!

The NFL is a Performance-Based business. You perform, you get paid. Regardless of what the other guys on the team are doing.

What is it that you don't get??

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
As I stated earlier (and you didn't reply), name me one CP Member, regardless of salary or position, who *hasn't* posted on this forum during work hours. Name me one CP Member, regardless of salary or position, that hasn't had an "altercation" with his boss or employer at one time or another.

Ok, if you insist. Is there a single CP member, making 1.7 million per year, wanting much more?
Have they sat in meetings, while making more in a month, than most of CP members make in a year, and text messaged people?
Have they had public arguments, with their boss while making this kind of jack?
If so, I am not for giving them the big raise without conditions to protect the future of the team. Pretty simple really.

afchiefs
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Before we get rid of LJ look at the history. Did you follow the chiefs in the 70's through 90. We had 3 seasons in a 20 year period that we won 10 games or more. That what RB by committee will due or no preimeir RB. I hope the link works. Oh well see you tommorrow

http://www.nfl.com/history/teams/KC

Fruit Ninja
06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, that if you can run for 1700 yards 2 seasons in a row, you can get paid. I wish every running back from here on out can do that. Thats a great message if you ask me.

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 05:08 PM
That is so completely, UNTRUE. LJ has led the league in yards and in rushing attempts. Benny Sapp isn't going to think that by giving LJ the contract he desires that suddenly, Benny Sapp's going to get a $30 million dollar bonus, too!

The NFL is a Performance-Based business. You perform, you get paid. Regardless of what the other guys on the team are doing.

What is it that you don't get??

Are you really this dense? On one hand you say they are rewarding him for the good things he does, but not the bad things. If they give him the contract, it is for the whole package, not just the good part.

Have you ever even listened to a Carl Peterson interview? He has made numerous statements on this subject, most recently about Jared Allen. I am pretty sure I even heard the interview regarding LJ, which LJ himself refers to in this article.

If it was not part of the equation, why would LJ have mentioned it? IT IS PART OF THE WHOLE PACKAGE.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Ok, if you insist. Is there a single CP member, making 1.7 million per year, wanting much more?
Have they sat in meetings, while making more in a month, than most of CP members make in a year, and text messaged people?
Have they had public arguments, with their boss while making this kind of jack?
If so, I am not for giving them the big raise without conditions to protect the future of the team. Pretty simple really.

I KNEW you were going to make money an issue. I'm disappointed.

You know what, Ed? It really doesn't freakin' matter. You obviously see this as some type of "Class-War", where if you make a ton of money, you'd better be a perfect human being, because "I'd never do that if I was making that kind of money". Bullsh*t.

If you think that Presidents and CEO's and VP's and so on of major, multi-million dollar corporations don't spend and have never spent any part of their day in meetings text messaging someone or arguing with someone, you're insane.

You don't like the guy, for whatever reason. Maybe he punked you at a bar. Who knows? But you're certainly not approaching this situation from a smart business perspective. Do you really think that Carl Peterson is going to say to LJ before offering him his next contract "Now LJ, no more text messaging during meetings, okay? Don't show any emotion when you're told to do something by your coaches, okay? Now sign here".

No freakin' way.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Are you really this dense? On one hand you say they are rewarding him for the good things he does, but not the bad things. If they give him the contract, it is for the whole package, not just the good part.

Have you ever even listened to a Carl Peterson interview? He has made numerous statements on this subject, most recently about Jared Allen. I am pretty sure I even heard the interview regarding LJ, which LJ himself refers to in this article.

If it was not part of the equation, why would LJ have mentioned it? IT IS PART OF THE WHOLE PACKAGE.

Yeah, I can see it now:

Reporter 1: "Why didn't you re-sign Larry Johnson?"
CP: "Well, we felt like he spent too much time text messaging people during meetings. And he yelled at a coach once."
Reporter 2: "But the man rushed the ball over 400 times in 2006. Led your team in offense 2 years in a row".
CP: "There will be NO text messaging during Chiefs meetings. So I chose to go another direction. Boomer Grigsby reminds me of a young Donnell Bennett. I think he's the future of the KC Chiefs".

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I think we should let HemiEd be alone with his hate. He can cheer disgruntedly when LJ scores 20 times again next year, while the rest of us revel in our LJ-inspired passion.

ChiefaRoo
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
LJ needs to get paid.

keg in kc
06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I used to wonder if 1 in 100 kids really does have autism.

This thread has removed all doubt.

Crashride
06-21-2007, 06:09 PM
I like the 75 percent idea

htismaqe
06-21-2007, 06:48 PM

ROFL

Do you HONESTLY believe by giving him a big contract, they're sending a message to younger players that it's okay to text message during meetings?

ROFL

Seriously, you've lost it, Hootie-style.

Look at the flipside of your argument.

What kind of a message do you send to your young, ascending players if you RUN A GUY INTO THE GROUND and then refuse to pay him because he "sent text messages during a meeting"?

ROFL

CoMoChief
06-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Who gives a shit. Athletes don't owe us anything.

Sam Hall
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't believe anything Whitlock writes.

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't believe anything Whitlock writes.

In this case, Whitlock is just attracting attention by asking LJ loaded questions. My guess is that LJ agreed to this interview to send a message to Carl. He probably wants to speed up negotations.

Sam Hall
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
This sounds like a bunch of hollow threats. Carl has even said that he's optimistic about getting a deal with LJ done.

blueballs
06-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't care if I'm in the middle of ****ing Natalie Portman in the ass
if Beyonce text messages me
she is getting a response ASAP

Mecca
06-21-2007, 08:08 PM
THOSE THAT FORGET THEIR PAST ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT!!!

Can you say RB by committe

Pay the man. He earned it!!

Paying Priest Holmes after his huge workload........it will end up the same way......

Fruit Ninja
06-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Paying Priest Holmes after his huge workload........it will end up the same way......
Priest Holmes was fragile beore he got his contract. So whats your point? lol

Mecca
06-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Priest Holmes was fragile beore he got his contract. So whats your point? lol

That it's dumb to give RB's around 30 years of age with huge workloads big contracts.......especially when your team is in rebuilding mode, by the time this team is really ready LJ will be done.

Terribilis
06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
if we dont sign LJ, we will continue to be perceived nationally as a small market club, afraid to pay big time players.
we need to have a prime time player at a marquee position imo

Logical
06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Me either, he can't carry Priest Holmes jock. That being said, I hope we ride his ass to the SB.

OMG1111 GoChiefs is going to want your ass in a sling.ROFL

Logical
06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
if we dont sign LJ, we will continue to be perceived nationally as a small market club, afraid to pay big time players.
we need to have a prime time player at a marquee position imo

Yea we don't have Tony Gonzalez.:harumph::rolleyes:

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Tony Gonzalez? The guy that's scored 7 touchdowns in two years?

Yeah...awesome. How many TDs do you think he would score without LJ making play action a threat?

Logical
06-21-2007, 08:23 PM
GOOD.

I WANT him to hold out.

I'm pretty sure we can get him for less now than we will if we're caught in a bidding war with five other teams. It'll still be an astronomical paycheck, but there you go.

No bidding war when we can franchise tag him next year.

Logical
06-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Tony Gonzalez? The guy that's scored 7 touchdowns in two years?

Yeah...awesome. How many TDs do you think he would score without LJ making play action a threat?

Truth is TG scored more before we had either Priest or LJ so probably more.

Terribilis
06-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Yea we don't have Tony Gonzalez.:harumph::rolleyes:

i love TG as much as anyone, but TE is not a marquee position.

Count Alex's Losses
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Truth is TG scored more before we had either Priest or LJ so probably more.

Hahaha. OK.

DaneMcCloud
06-21-2007, 08:34 PM
That it's dumb to give RB's around 30 years of age with huge workloads big contracts.......especially when your team is in rebuilding mode, by the time this team is really ready LJ will be done.

But LJ's not just ANY back. First off, he's 27 right now, not 30. His birthday isn't even until November. He's never been injured, keeps himself in excellent shape and barring injury has a minimum of three extremely solid season ahead of him. Once he begins to wear down, he'll still be effective in goal line situations (much like the Bus in during their Super Bowl run).

OTOH, if you don't pay him and trade him or let him sit, this team won't win 4 games this season. There are serious holes on the offense, particularly the offensive line that one free agency & draft will not cure. It appears that it will take at least two years to get the offensive line to the level it needs to be in order to support a non-elite runner. AND you have to find a suitable replacement at running back.

That's just too much for any team that has its sights on winning to accomplish in one offseason. Especially when the answer at running back (and someone who can help to hide the O-Line deficiencies) is already on the roster.

Fruit Ninja
06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I would agree, Priest was 30. LJ isnt. Again, its not us paying it. Carl has never really had cap problems. I dont think he will again with this one. Carl is goign to pay LJ, but he's not going to put the team in harms way either.

KC Tattoo
06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
I think LJ deserves a new contract, and I hope he gets one before training camp.
I don't like Whitlock useing LJ for his own agenda and that is to set up a bash Carl paper and I think that this is a bunch of Whitlock propoganda.

I do think that Carl Peterson will get a large upfront contract in place for him to sign and everone will be happy. In a few years they will redo his contract to be cap friendly. If LJ wants a SB as bad as he say's he does then that is an advantage CP can use later on.

Dick Vermiel didn't use LJ enough, Herm Edwards used him too much, I think that should ballance his career out to this point so that hopefully he can carry the rock for years to come.

Good luck LJ

Kiss my A$$ Whitlock

Fruit Ninja
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Found that. I know its not exact, but it say swe are about 11 million under the cap. This was before the Trent Green trade. I think we are ok.

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I was open to the idea of trading LJ, but I think he has extra value to us breaking in Brody Croyle..

how much better will a rookie QB look with a threat like LJ behind them? what's the value of grooming a 10year staring QB?

I wouldn't - if I were CP - say that to LJ and his lawyer, but I would think about it when I determined his true value...

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 09:55 PM
OMG1111 GoChiefs is going to want your ass in a sling.ROFL

This thread has been a lot of fun, all day. LMAO

HemiEd
06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I think LJ deserves a new contract, and I hope he gets one before training camp.
I don't like Whitlock useing LJ for his own agenda and that is to set up a bash Carl paper and I think that this is a bunch of Whitlock propoganda.

I do think that Carl Peterson will get a large upfront contract in place for him to sign and everone will be happy. In a few years they will redo his contract to be cap friendly. If LJ wants a SB as bad as he say's he does then that is an advantage CP can use later on.

Dick Vermiel didn't use LJ enough, Herm Edwards used him too much, I think that should ballance his career out to this point so that hopefully he can carry the rock for years to come.

Good luck LJ

Kiss my A$$ Whitlock

Good post. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
06-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Bump