PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Kills Man After Car Hits Child

Archie F. Swin
06-21-2007, 05:52 AM
in Austin, Texas (link) (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CRASH_ASSAULT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US)

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Police on Wednesday were pleading for witnesses to help them track down members of an angry mob that beat a man to death after the car he was riding in apparently struck and injured a child.

Investigators were struggling to piece together what happened Tuesday when David Rivas Morales died defending the driver from members of a crowd. There could have been anywhere from two to 20 attackers, Austin Police Commander Harold Piatt said.

The car in which Morales, 40, was a passenger had entered an apartment complex's parking lot when it struck a 2-year-old boy, Piatt said. The boy was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The driver got out of the car to check on the child and was confronted by several people, Piatt said. When they attacked the driver, Morales got out of the car to protect the driver and was attacked as well. Police said no guns or knives were used.

The driver got away and is cooperating with investigators. Police identified the child as Michael Hosea Jr.

There were conflicting accounts of how many people were in the area. Police originally estimated 2,000 to 3,000 and a woman who lives at the complex said hundreds who had been at a Juneteenth festival filled the parking lot and street.

[the whole story is linked at the top of this page]

chagrin
06-21-2007, 05:53 AM
basically they're still cavemen

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Wow. That's the definition of mob frenzy. Insane. :shake:

Baconeater
06-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Good luck trying to track them down.

MOhillbilly
06-21-2007, 07:24 AM
good bait for deportation.

Chiefnj
06-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I must live under a rock because I had no idea what Juneteenth was until I read a host of articles yesterday about the violence surrounding several of them.

Brock
06-21-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm sure race was irrelevant here. That's why they didn't report it.

KC Jones
06-21-2007, 08:13 AM
good bait for deportation.

to Africa?

Pushead2
06-21-2007, 08:20 AM
That's crazy that the sister found her brother choking on his blood. That must be a horrid scene :shake:

Cochise
06-21-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm sure race was irrelevant here. That's why they didn't report it.

I was surprised that the cable news I was watching yesterday or so even showed the video.

Redrum_69
06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I wonder how many illegal aliens are Raiders fans

Mr. Laz
06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
The boy was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
so they killed the guy and the kid didn't even have life threatening injuries?

wowser

58-4ever
06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
This is a weird story on many levels. The child was apparently fine? How did the driver get away? He must have pussed out big time while his friend was getting stomped. He must have also been burning through the parking lot, which would anger a lot of crowds if you see a child fly a hundred feet because of carelessness.

58-4ever
06-21-2007, 09:23 AM
2 to 20 attackers? Sounds like the police have a good handle on this one. :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
06-21-2007, 09:30 AM
This is a weird story on many levels. The child was apparently fine? How did the driver get away? He must have pussed out big time while his friend was getting stomped. He must have also been burning through the parking lot, which would anger a lot of crowds if you see a child fly a hundred feet because of carelessness.
if the kid was hit hard enough to have him "fly a hundred feet" ... don't you think he would of been hurt more?

BoredomSux
06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Mob justice is not a pretty sight.

Brock
06-21-2007, 09:36 AM
If he flew 100 feet, he'd be dead.

Immaculate
06-21-2007, 09:37 AM
****ing Mexicans. That's why you don't let your kids play in the street/parking lot!

Frazod
06-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Several hundred people had filled the parking lot and street as the daylong festival at a nearby park ended and spilled over into the surrounding neighborhoods, said Katherine White, a Morales family friend who lives in a townhouse next door to where the beating took place.

Ah, nothing like a day long drunken festival to get the vigilante juices flowing.

Phobia
06-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Sad story all the way around.

Adept Havelock
06-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Mob justice is not a pretty sight.

Indeed. The terms "mob" and "justice" are also usually mutually exclusive.

Brock
06-21-2007, 09:45 AM
****ing Mexicans. That's why you don't let your kids play in the street/parking lot!

Uh....it was juneteenth, not cinco de mayo.

BoredomSux
06-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Indeed. The terms "mob" and "justice" are also usually mutually exclusive.

True!

alanm
06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Uh... Juneteenth is celebrated by Blacks.

Hydrae
06-21-2007, 10:10 AM
We have had leaders from both the black and hispanic communities come out and state that they do not think race had anything to do with this. Sad situation and hopefully it won't become anything bigger.

Brock
06-21-2007, 10:12 AM
We have had leaders from both the black and hispanic communities come out and state that they do not think race had anything to do with this. Sad situation and hopefully it won't become anything bigger.

Of course race had nothing to do with it. It wasn't white people beating on a minority.

InChiefsHell
06-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Of course race had nothing to do with it. It wasn't white people beating on a minority.

Bingo... :shake:

Duck Dog
06-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Tru dat, Cracka.

Cochise
Reminds me of Reginald Denny

Cochise

In which case, it's automatically racially motivated.

58-4ever
06-21-2007, 10:24 AM
If he flew 100 feet, he'd be dead.

Yeah, I read a little too much into that.

fan4ever
06-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Bingo.

Duck Dog
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Reminds me of Reginald Denny

A classic example of black on white violence that wasn't racially motivated. :rolleyes:

White altruism rears it's ugly head.

chagrin
06-21-2007, 10:36 AM

LMAO

So, all your self righteous talk before has been replaced by this? Haha...

KCChiefsMan
06-21-2007, 11:13 AM
I don't know exactly what happened, but could it also be the parents fault for letting a 2 yr old run in the street or parking lot??????

KC Kings
06-21-2007, 11:26 AM
A members of the crowd was quoted as saying, "Yeah, we kilt that mu ****ah. They caint speak no English no how. Now git on, and don't axe me no mo' questions."

sedated
06-21-2007, 11:31 AM
what the f*ck is Juneteenth?

sounds pretty stupid to me

Demonpenz
06-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I always would put juneteenth in my papers back in the day just so the teachers would have to look it up.

Pitt Gorilla
06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't see the race angle here (nor do I know what races were involved). Is it relevant?

Baconeater
06-21-2007, 11:58 AM

It has something to do with the day Texas slaves were freed. They weren't sure exactly what day of the month it was, all they knew for sure is that it was in June. Hence, Juneteenth. Or go ****ing google it, you lazy ass.

mikey23545
06-21-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't see the race angle here

You damn right you don't.

Pitt Gorilla
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
You damn right you don't.Am I supposed to see it?

mikey23545
06-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Am I supposed to see it?

There's nothing to see here...Just move along....

Brock
06-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Am I supposed to see it?

It isn't easy for the willfully obtuse.

the Talking Can
06-21-2007, 01:33 PM

sweet irony

anyways, besides being the last, and unfinished, novel by Ralph Ellison it is a marker of the time, 2 years AFTER the Emancipation proclamation, that slaves in Texas were finally freed...Galveston being the place it first happened...

Ugly Duck
06-21-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't see the race angle here (nor do I know what races were involved). Is it relevant?

Here's my sordid confession.... the picture that immediately sprung to mind in my little brain was one of black attackers. Dang, I must have racial prejudices that I was not aware of. I'm an asshole.

P.S. Of what race were the attackers?

Ugly Duck
06-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Here's my sordid confession.... the picture that immediately sprung to mind in my little brain was one of black attackers. Dang, I must have racial prejudices that I was not aware of. I'm an asshole.

P.S. Of what race were the attackers?

OK... here it is: "Then witnesses said several black males began beating Morales when he stepped out of the vehicle to try and stop the crowd from assaulting the driver."

http://www.1115.org/2007/06/20/racism-the-progress-we-have-made/

Now I dunno wut to think. My first impression was a racist one, but it also correct. Am I still an asshole?

Who else immediately pictured the attackers as black?

Pitt Gorilla
06-21-2007, 02:20 PM
It isn't easy for the willfully obtuse.After skimming through some of this thread, it appears they were black. I didn't click on the link, so I apologize that I didn't see the picture or video or whatever. I still don't see the relevance. Do we know the race of the person attacked? The name sounds Hispanic.

stumppy
06-21-2007, 02:33 PM

It's probably a good thing the guy who was beaten to death wasn't white. Can you imagine how far that would set race relations back ? And what about his family ? Think of what they would have to endure.
I can see it now. His mom and dad apologizing to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on the national news for their sons insensitivity to the mob mentality of an outraged black community. Explaining how they'd raised him the best the could. Not knowing where they went wrong.

Fortunately, according to the community leaders, it had nothing to do with race at all.

BigVE
06-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Couple of very sad things come out when a story like this shows up on this board. First, just how ignorant so many people are these days and how ignorant some members on this board are. It' shameful.

FWIW, I live in a relatively small community and there is a Juneteenth celebration almost every year otherwise I probably wouldn't know what it was either but what amazes me is how in a community this small most non-black people still have no idea "what's going on down town with all the blacks?" every June.

stumppy
06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
OK... here it is: "Then witnesses said several black males began beating Morales when he stepped out of the vehicle to try and stop the crowd from assaulting the driver."

Now I dunno wut to think. My first impression was a racist one, but it also correct. Am I still an asshole?

Not that this sort of thing happens every day but it has happened in the past. Think of all the times you can remember something like this happening.
Now, of the ones you remember, how many times were the attackers black ?
I couldn't give you a specific number but I'd be willing to bet thats why both of us immediately assumed the same thing.

Ugly Duck
06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Not that this sort of thing happens every day but it has happened in the past. Think of all the times you can remember something like this happening.
Now, of the ones you remember, how many times were the attackers black ?
I couldn't give you a specific number but I'd be willing to bet thats why both of us immediately assumed the same thing.

I'm thinking maybe it was the footage of Reginald Denny getting his head kicked in by gleefull, celebrating black attackers. That imagry really stuck in my head. Maybe thats why my immediate thought was that these attackers were black also. Maybe I'm not an asshole.

Valiant
06-21-2007, 11:36 PM

From the bottom of that link

I agree about the google search; I noticed most stories tried VERY hard to hide that the mob was all black, AS IF anyone at a or near a Juneteenth function in east Austin of all places, would be non-black.

Some Perspective:

I now Welcome the rest of the world to the dirty little secret Austinís chamber of commerce will never tell you about: east Austin (that is, the area east of the I-35 freeway) is a _WARZONE_, make no bones about it. Itís predominantly black, and a little hispanic, but VERY dangerous to be in day or night. As you read, east Austin is where Mr. Morales was brutally bludgeoned to death by the animals in that mob.

Why do you think those black men went through with the murder? There were 3,000+ people there; how is the Austin Police Dept going to get through all the people that were there to stop something like that? Since it wasnít a black being beaten to death, why should they care? That racism has been so deep-seeded in those that have lived there itís atrocious. Only the Palestinians do a better job of passing down racial hatred to future generations (hatred of all Jews).

Iím sure I can tell you the answers the Austin police were similar to, ďWe didnít see/hear nuthiní! Many blacks witnessed the murder who didnít participate in it, and NO ONE came to this poor manís aid. Those who witnessed it but did nothing are guilty of crimes of omission of action; if one or two blacks had implored the murderers to stop, maybe he would be alive today. But such deep-seeded racism breeds animalistic physical and mental behavior.

You see, the real hypocrisy is, there have been several instances where blacks have been killed by the Austin police in justifiable uses of force, yet the Austin chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the Texas Civil Rights Project filed a federal complaint about how police officers use force in Austin for multiple instances going back years, that they claim were unwarranted and racially motivated.

The fact that the NAACP and Texas Civil Rights Project display their DEAFENING SILENCE on Moralesí murder speaks *volumes* on the race-trading and race-baiting that is going on in east Austin.

Exhibits on the underlying issues that I could find on short notice:

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/06/20/20doj.html
http://www.statesman.com/opinion/content/editorial/stories/06/07/7autopsy_edit.html
http://www.star-telegram.com/state_news/story/131791.html

On Austinís highest rated radio talk show, ďJeff Ward At LargeĒ hosted by Jeff Ward on AM 590 KLBJ, a caller who called in today offered a pretty scary advice that inferred a prediction for how things might spiral out of control in east Austin. The caller said something tantamount to ďIf I was black and lived near or below 12th street (in east Austin), I would stay inside and not be out in public there for a while.Ē Iím not sure if he meant it jokingly or not (as Jeffís personality by nature solicits those who would call his show with sarcastic and/or gauche humor), but he meant that in the area where the murder occurred, the caller was predicting there could be potential some kind of hispanic-on-black violent retaliation. I hope it doesnít come to that.

Iím sorry to say I lived (note past-tense) in east Austin for a 4 year stretch. During that time, multiple drive-by shootings occurred within a mile of my place, one as close as 3 city blocks away, along with one attempted rape by some monsteró only problem with investigating that assault is the victim gave such a general description of the rapist it matched half the white men in Austin. In Moralesí case, there are no descriptions because supposedly no one saw anything.

Yes, the east side of Austin is a very dangerous place. The rest of the world is just being awakened just how barbaric it has been for a very long time. Itís NO coincidence the I-35 freeway was built where it was back in the 1950s in AustinÖ. to be a physical barrier between the west side and east side of Austin.

I sincerely hope the murderers and the witnesses who did nothing to help him are found and tried. Mr. Morales deserves no less.

Seems that whole area is a mess...

Ugly Duck
06-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the background, Valiant. Sucks, but thanks....

Pitt Gorilla
06-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Umm..

Police: Small group killed man after car struck toddler, not mob

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0621crash-assault0621-on.html#

Associated Press
Jun. 21, 2007 04:17 PM
AUSTIN, Texas - About three or four people - not a mob of up to 20 - beat a man to death after the car he was riding in struck and injured a toddler, police said Thursday.

Police backed off earlier descriptions of Tuesday's attack, also saying that fewer than two dozen people - rather than hundreds - were witnesses.

City officials also said the attack was not connected to the city-sponsored Juneteenth celebration that had just wrapped up nearby, which celebrates the day Texas slaves learned they were freed.

City officials held a news conference to adjust revise their report Wednesday that 2,000 to 3,000 festivalgoers were in the area when David Rivas Morales, 40, was beaten to death after a car in which he was riding bumped a toddler. The toddler was not seriously hurt.

Assistant City Manager Michael McDonald said almost all the celebrants were blocks away from the public housing complex where the attack occurred. And Assistant Police Chief David Carter said police were wrong on Wednesday when they said up to 20 people may have participated in the attack.

"We're looking for three or four heinous criminals," Carter said. "I want to bring them to justice."

Morales' neighbors and relatives complained on Wednesday about the time it took an ambulance crew to reach him as he lay in the parking lot, choking on his own blood. Morales reached a hospital about 35 minutes after a 911 call was received, timing that became more difficult to understand given the news that there had been no large crowd in the area.

An anonymous 911 caller had said the assault was a gang fight involving a large crowd of people, said Richard Herrington, director of Austin's Emergency Medical Services Department.

That forced emergency crews to wait a few blocks away until police were sure the area was under control, Herrington said. Police, however, previously said it took them just one minute to get to the scene.

Herrington also said traffic in the area delayed the ambulance.

Morales was in cardiac arrest when the crew found him, Herrington said. The crew treated him at the scene for about 12 minutes before rushing him to the hospital.

The family also had criticized police for failing to perform CPR before the ambulance arrived, but Herrington said that could have made Morales' condition worse.

Authorities on Thursday also released new details about the events leading up to the beating, saying the car's driver had just dropped off Morales at his sister's town house when he hit the 2-year-old child. Three or four men confronted the driver, and Morales came to help him, Carter said.

The driver told police he got away in his vehicle before the beating began and didn't know his friend had been hurt, Carter said. Police have refused to identify the driver because he is a witness.

go bowe
06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I wonder how many illegal aliens are Raiders fans119 million or so, give or take a few...

maby it's only 100 million, i'm not sure...

why don't you ask your momma?

she did 'em all last month... :p

go bowe
06-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking maybe it was the footage of Reginald Denny getting his head kicked in by gleefull, celebrating black attackers. That imagry really stuck in my head. Maybe thats why my immediate thought was that these attackers were black also. Maybe I'm not an asshole.no, you're still an asshole...

you're a fader fan after all... :p :p :p

convict1983
06-22-2007, 08:17 PM
S h i t happens,

signed Al Sharpton

(I bet he wants this to get swept under the rug)

Brock
06-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Umm..

Police: Small group killed man after car struck toddler, not mob

Umm...

I'm sure the dead guy feels better now.

Pitt Gorilla
06-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Umm...

I'm sure the dead guy feels better now.I know, I'm sorry. I forgot that you abhor accurate information.

Brock
06-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I know, I'm sorry. I forgot that you abhor accurate information.

You are very boring.

Mojo Rising
06-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Austin is a very racist town for being as "liberal" as they claim. They are liberal for Texas...

6th Street is the bar Mecca in Austin. i was shocked when I was walking down the street and I noticed there was a white and black side of 6th Street.

I forget what the street is but there is a Mason Dixon line that runs right through the middle. I am white and went to bars on the black side and everyone was polite. However, I got the feeling if I was from Austin that what I did wasn't popular.

As I read this thread I didn't notice anyone comment on the discord between Balcks and Hispanics. I noticed a few white/black comments.

I thought blacks attacked a hispanic.

In living in the entry door to the US I have noticed that many of my friends who have darker skin than mine support other dark skin people no matter their origin. The only exception is blacks and hispanics.

I was not at the Juneteenth but my guess is that 4-6 people did kill the guy. There was a mob around who probably didn't throw punches but made their presence felt. And, certainly didn't attempt to discourage the murder.

Where is Sharpton and Jackson? This was a violent crime against a person of color.