PDA

View Full Version : Question for fantasy football players

BigRock
06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm just curious, do any of you use one of those services that gives you a customised pre-draft player ranking? Where you input the roster spots and the scoring system, and then it gives you a listing of the best players to draft based on the rules of the league that you're in?

If so, which one(s) do you use? Are there some that are better, some to avoid, or are they all pretty much the same thing?

Thanks in advance if you can help. BTW, sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried searching but nothing relevant seemed to come up.

Mr Luzcious
06-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm just curious, do any of you use one of those services that gives you a customised pre-draft player ranking? Where you input the roster spots and the scoring system, and then it gives you a listing of the best players to draft based on the rules of the league that you're in?

If so, which one(s) do you use? Are there some that are better, some to avoid, or are they all pretty much the same thing?

Thanks in advance if you can help. BTW, sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried searching but nothing relevant seemed to come up.

Nope, never have. I seem to do alright though, I came in first and second the two leagues I was in last season!

Guru
06-21-2007, 11:56 PM
footballguys.com has a tool that will do that for you but it is only free through July.

Nzoner
06-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Not only no but hell no,those sites are run by guys just like us so do your own homework and build your own draft strategy.

Personally,I'm in 3 fairly large money leagues and there's no sweeter satisfaction than winning it all based on your own knowledge.

Good luck.

Sam Hall
06-21-2007, 11:59 PM
I use CBSSportsline.com, fftoday.com and Fantasy Football Cafe.

noa
06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
No. I don't pay for pre-draft rankings because I like to do all the research myself. Its part of the fun. Part of the draft is luck, and I think a big part is just how you choose to weigh certain variables. Last year, I decided to really focus on strength of schedule and divisional opponents, and that's how I decided to take Frank Gore pretty early, and that definitely paid off. There should be enough free info and opinion out there for you to make good decisions without having to pay.

I do pay for fantasy info during the season just because that's a service offered through the website we use and doesn't cost very much. Its helpful for injuries and match-up advice, etc.

Guru
06-22-2007, 12:12 AM
No. I don't pay for pre-draft rankings because I like to do all the research myself. Its part of the fun. Part of the draft is luck, and I think a big part is just how you choose to weigh certain variables. Last year, I decided to really focus on strength of schedule and divisional opponents, and that's how I decided to take Frank Gore pretty early, and that definitely paid off. There should be enough free info and opinion out there for you to make good decisions without having to pay.

I do pay for fantasy info during the season just because that's a service offered through the website we use and doesn't cost very much. Its helpful for injuries and match-up advice, etc.
I only go I what information I can obtain for free. It would take away the meaning of my wins if I started paying for info.

BigRock
06-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Just to be clear, I'm only looking into this because a friend of mine started a league with some of the dumbest scoring you've ever heard of. The way he has it set, I'm pretty sure the first player off the board should be a cornerback, that's how crazy the whole thing is. Passing TDs are worth 11 points and rushing TDs are worth 9 or something, and the scoring is weighted huge for the defense, and it's just a big headache.

Guru
06-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Just to be clear, I'm only looking into this because a friend of mine started a league with some of the dumbest scoring you've ever heard of. The way he has it set, I'm pretty sure the first player off the board should be a cornerback, that's how crazy the whole thing is. Passing TDs are worth 11 points and rushing TDs are worth 9 or something, and the scoring is weighted huge for the defense, and it's just a big headache.
Do you run on individual DEF statistics or team?

noa
06-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I only go I what information I can obtain for free. It would take away the meaning of my wins if I started paying for info.

I don't really think it loses any meaning...you're basing your decisions on other people's advice and analysis even when you're using free info.
I don't pay for draft info because I don't trust people enough.

Guru
06-22-2007, 12:29 AM
I don't really think it loses any meaning...you're basing your decisions on other people's advice and analysis even when you're using free info.
I don't pay for draft info because I don't trust people enough.
I use other peoples opinions to confirm my own choices. Then I check to see if I should have done something different after the fact. I generally always go with my own gut on all decisions.

Sam Hall
06-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't recommend using FoxSports.com's defense rankings. They have the Chiefs D/ST ranked last in the NFL :shake:

BigRock
06-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Do you run on individual DEF statistics or team?
I'm pretty sure it's both. The roster for defense is like CB, CB, LB, LB, DL, DL, all based on individual stats, and then the DEF spot where it's the entire team's stats.

Sacks are like 15 points, INTs are 10 or so. Kick return TDs are worth 30. It's madness.

Guru
06-22-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm pretty sure it's both. The roster for defense is like CB, CB, LB, LB, DL, DL, all based on individual stats, and then the DEF spot where it's the entire team's stats.

Sacks are like 15 points, INTs are 10 or so. Kick return TDs are worth 30. It's madness.
DAMN!!! I wouldn't mind a shot at that league. It is almost reverse FF.

Sam Hall
06-22-2007, 12:40 AM

Your draft is going to take forever when you include offense!

CosmicPal
06-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Not only no but hell no,those sites are run by guys just like us so do your own homework and build your own draft strategy.

Personally,I'm in 3 fairly large money leagues and there's no sweeter satisfaction than winning it all based on your own knowledge.

Good luck.

Couldn't agree more. It is so much more rewarding when you do it all on your own.

Nzoner
06-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Last year, I decided to really focus on strength of schedule and divisional opponents, and that's how I decided to take Frank Gore pretty early, and that definitely paid off.

I waited until the 2nd and 4th rounds to take my rb's last year,took Westbrook in the 2nd(knew he was going to be a huge part of the offense with TO gone IF he stayed healthy so I took the gamble) and Gore in the 4th(just like you said above) and got more than a few laughs from the fellas while doing it,at seasons end I was the one laughing on the way to the bank,my fantasy football winnings last year paid for my trip to Vegas last March.

JBucc
06-22-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't do any preparing. I just go by my gut and whatever the scoring system is.

Dicky McElephant
06-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I waited until the 2nd and 4th rounds to take my rb's last year,took Westbrook in the 2nd(knew he was going to be a huge part of the offense with TO gone IF he stayed healthy so I took the gamble) and Gore in the 4th(just like you said above) and got more than a few laughs from the fellas while doing it,at seasons end I was the one laughing on the way to the bank,my fantasy football winnings last year paid for my trip to Vegas last March.

I won $1200 last year on Frank Gore alone. I drafted LT, McNabb, Gore and Evans in the first four rounds. I took Maurice Jones-Drew in the 18th round.