PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Beer "Hopscicle", illegal in Virginia

Ari Chi3fs
06-22-2007, 12:16 AM
http://www.yahoo.com/s/610038 [link to video]

It gets hot in Alexandria, Va., this time of year. Restaurateur Frank Morales came up with a great idea for a new menu offering at his Rustico Restaurant: frozen beer pops.

There's just one problem: The Virginia Alcohol Bureau of Control says that beer pops are illegal.

Rustico has a menu shaped around fresh American ingredients and cooking styles that lean toward Italy. They also have 30 taps and an extensive bottle selection. Morales came up with the idea to make beer pops using raspberry and plum flavored Belgian lambics, plus a fudge-flavored offering with a stout base. Rustico sells a small for $4 and a large for $6. The new offering was unique enough that an Associated Press decided to do a story on Rustico's beer pops.

This is where the old saying that all publicity is good publicity goes wrong. The AP reporter called the Virginia ABC enforcement folks to see what regulations governed frozen beer. That set off government regulations just waiting to stifle fun and creativity.

Virginia ABC rules state that beer must be served in its original container or served to customers immediately after it is poured from its original container. This is likely a good rule to stop bars from passing off cheaper beer to customers. Obviously, this is not the intent at Rustico, but the Virginia ABC is dispatching an investigator to the restaurant.

Currently, Rustico's beer pops are 100 percent beer. Morales and his culinary team are looking at ways to add other ingredients to see if that can skirt the Virginia ABC's regulations. They point out that beer is used in several recipes at the restaurant and has never been challenged.

Let's hope cooler heads prevail at the Virginia ABC and culinary creativity can live on at Rustico.

Ari Chi3fs
06-22-2007, 12:17 AM
I bet a frozen chocolate Guinness would taste nice.

listopencil
06-22-2007, 12:29 AM
I want a hopsicle.

Guru
06-22-2007, 12:32 AM
And here I thought this was a play on the Six Flags thread.

listopencil
06-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Wouldn't the alcohol drain out of the fluid when it was frozen, though?

TinyEvel
06-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Damn! there goes the loophole I was looking for in my 20 days without DRINKING alcohol plan.

CoMoChief
06-22-2007, 12:55 AM
That's cool. It's also really gay that it's illegal too.

listopencil
06-22-2007, 01:01 AM
It's Virginia. I think blowjobs are still illegal there. I love my home state but some of the laws are just nuts.

Cochise
06-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Sounds gross

seclark
06-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Wouldn't the alcohol drain out of the fluid when it was frozen, though?
i think you're right...and that's the best part.
sec

JohninGpt
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
It's Virginia. I think blowjobs are still illegal there. I love my home state but some of the laws are just nuts.
Screw this state, err..commonwealth or whatever. I'm moving back to Oklahoma where I can have a 3.2% hopcicle any day I want...except Sunday...as long as it's before 9pm.

Braincase
06-22-2007, 08:07 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpWPeZmMCIo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpWPeZmMCIo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ari Chi3fs
06-22-2007, 09:58 AM
http://www.fresh99.com/images/beerpopsicle/232yo.jpg

QuikSsurfer
06-22-2007, 10:02 AM
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/blog/uploaded_images/PopsicleTime-770329.JPG

Calcountry
06-22-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/blog/uploaded_images/PopsicleTime-770329.JPG

Set down your bong dude, your pussy is crying.

DMAC
06-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't the alcohol drain out of the fluid when it was frozen, though?Probably not, it's only 3-5 % alcohol.

Redrum_69
06-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Smirnoff Ice Pomegrante ...

StcChief
06-22-2007, 12:42 PM
No Beer is too low %,
A freezer will freeze it, bottles do pop tops if left in freezer trust me...

DenverChief
06-22-2007, 01:32 PM
No Beer is too low %,

LMAO

kc rush
06-22-2007, 01:53 PM
One of my best friends lives in Virginia and I was shocked when I saw a guy jump out of his truck at a stop light and grab a couple of beers in downtown Norfolk. My friend said that it happens all of the time since there is no open container law (or at least none that are enforced). I guess that it doesn’t matter there unless the cops see the driver drinking.

This story surprised me considering what I had seen.

Natty_Light_Man
06-22-2007, 02:06 PM
No Beer is too low %,

Sounds like you are talking from experience....ROFL

Natty_Light_Man
06-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Make for a good instrument enjoyed by both you and your wife. Get my drift......

FringeNC
06-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Virginia is the same state that doesn't allow radar detectors and sends undercover cops into bars to arrest patrons for public drunkenness. Virginia seems to be the one red nanny-state.

Garcia Bronco
06-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Virginia is the same state that doesn't allow radar detectors and sends undercover cops into bars to arrest patrons for public drunkenness. Virginia seems to be the one red nanny-state.

Virginia is neither a blue or red state..recent history has shown that in elections we typically will vote either party.

FringeNC
06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Virginia is neither a blue or red state..recent history has shown that in elections we typically will vote either party.

True.

Is the "no radar detectors" popular legislation there? I don't understand how that passed.

Garcia Bronco
06-22-2007, 03:08 PM
True.

Is the "no radar detectors" popular legislation there? I don't understand how that passed.

DC and Virginia are the only places I believe that don't allow them. That legislation has been in place since I can remember my dad being a police officer and having one...that put's it at about 24 years ago.

JohninGpt
06-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Garcia, what part of the state are you in?

Garcia Bronco
06-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Garcia, what part of the state are you in?
I was born in Portsmouth(1975), grew up in Virginia Beach(1982), lived in Blacksburg(graduated 98), moved back to Chesapeake(98), and then moved to Richmond(99) until last december when I moved to Denver, Colorado...and I am never coming back for good....but I love Virginia.

My dad was a Police Officer in Portsmouth.

JohninGpt
06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm at the South end of the MMBT, officially Suffolk, but really Churchland/Portsmouth/Chesapeake.

ArrowheadHawk
06-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Damn! there goes the loophole I was looking for in my 20 days without DRINKING alcohol plan.
you could always take an alcohol enema

i think you would still pass a Breathalyzer this way too

Garcia Bronco
06-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm at the South end of the MMBT, officially Suffolk, but really Churchland/Portsmouth/Chesapeake.

Our first home was on Cedar lane in Churchland. All my family has left there or died...we used to own much of Port Norfolk, which is in Portsmouth across from Virginia Chemicals(or whatever it's called now)

JohninGpt
06-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Our first home was on Cedar lane in Churchland. All my family has left there or died...we used to own much of Port Norfolk, which is in Portsmouth across from Virginia Chemicals(or whatever it's called now)
To bad you don't still own it. Crazy amounts of construction going on there from Craney Island south.
I'll only be here until April 08. My last few months working for Uncle Sam.
BTW, I'm in Burbage Grant off of Towne Point a mile or so west of Cedar Lane.