PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Chiefs should pay LJ LT-type money.

Direckshun
06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Sportscenter's on, and they did a segment on whether or not the Chiefs should pay LJ LT-type money.

Unanimously across the board, they said yes. They said he should definitely be a part of their short- and long-term plans, and that his importance will be amplified this season as Brodie Croyle learns the ropes.

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Sportscenter's on, and they did a segment on whether or not the Chiefs should pay LJ LT-type money.

Unanimously across the board, they said yes. They said he should definitely be a part of their short- and long-term plans, and that his importance will be amplified this season as Brodie Croyle learns the ropes.

Learns the ropes? What does that mean?

Direckshun
06-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Seriously?

CosmicPal
06-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Uhhh, yep...it's a no-brainer.

CosmicPal
06-22-2007, 11:34 AM

You might need to learn how to do this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman's_noose

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Who is Brodie going to "learn the ropes" from?

Is this some gay overused prison term?

Maybe we can bring in some savy old vet and Brodie can "learn the ropes" from him for another year... LMAO

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 11:42 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman's_noose

That was funny! ROFL

Maybe we should get Brodie one?

StcChief
06-22-2007, 11:49 AM
ESPN should poney up 1/2 of it, we will then allow them to feature LJ on their shows.

TinyEvel
06-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Unanimously? Maybe ESPN hasn't seen the Fantasia video.

King_Chief_Fan
06-22-2007, 12:33 PM
ESPN says......who cares.

That is almost like the coyotes thinking all chicken farmers should give the keys to the henhouse to the coyotes.

Thig Lyfe
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Who is Brodie going to "learn the ropes" from?

Is this some gay overused prison term?

Maybe we can bring in some savy old vet and Brodie can "learn the ropes" from him for another year... LMAO

You've seriously never heard that phrase?

GoHuge
06-22-2007, 12:46 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman's_nooseDon't let LJ see that :)

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
You've seriously never heard that phrase?

Yes I have, IMO it is a very over used retarded saying....

Brodie isnt going to "learn the ropes" Unless he is bending over in the shower for Huard...

How can someone "learn the ropes" Anyway?

You know how many times as a Chiefs fan, when someone gets cut or something from another team (Cause we all know every team is loaded with probowlers but ours) that we have to "bring someone in for a look" Or lets sign the Savy Vet QB to teach our younger guys "the ropes"...

I guess I just find those phrases annoying and gay that is all...

This is the NFL not a professional daycare....

Thig Lyfe
06-22-2007, 01:05 PM

:hmmm:

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 01:09 PM
:hmmm:

JMO... Not a big deal...

Mr. Laz
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM
is ESPN gonna help pay the checks?

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Quoting myself here,

But then agian, it is a professional daycare... Will all the retards like Pacman, the Bengals, etc.... Pretty much each franchise is a professional type daycare....

So nothing to see here, carry on....

Mojo Rising
06-23-2007, 02:47 AM
If the Chiefs are smart we will not give him a long term deal.

Once the ink is dry the injuries are going to come out of the woodwork. LJ's recent interview was screaming that he needs to get paid now, and take as few hits as possible afterwards.

I say we play chicken with him and then franchise him next year.

He said that he has started to save money recently for a holdout. Guess what Larry... NFL checks are paid during the season. What are you saving?

He has a place in NY, just bought chunk of Roccawear from JZ. Works out in Vegas. Where are the savings.

I say he suits up before game 1. We franchise him next year. 800 carries later what is left in the tank?

CupidStunt
06-23-2007, 04:47 AM
There's just no question about it: pay the man. 6 years, $60 million (slightly backloaded but not to the degree of Nate Clements, for example) with $15 million in guarantees. He's earned that over the last two years and will continue to do so over the next three or four.

If not, trade him. Simple as that.

Not paying him and not moving him is the worst thing we could do. Right now it's fine because there's lots of time. Come training camp, if there's no deal in place the Chiefs are hurting themselves.

Mojo Rising
06-23-2007, 05:23 AM
There's just no question about it: pay the man. 6 years, $60 million (slightly backloaded but not to the degree of Nate Clements, for example) with $15 million in guarantees. He's earned that over the last two years and will continue to do so over the next three or four.

If not, trade him. Simple as that.

Not paying him and not moving him is the worst thing we could do. Right now it's fine because there's lots of time. Come training camp, if there's no deal in place the Chiefs are hurting themselves.

Do you remember what happened to Priest Holmes? We paid and he ate nachos in the press box on IR.

His value to the Chiefs organization is that he is the only good player we have. Therefor we will overpay him to stay and fill seats. Then, he will get hurt. He wants to extend his career and the best way is to take a season off on the IR.

We will see if there is a difference with the way the new Hunt runs the Chiefs. It has been easy to pick on CP for no SB's.

However, he has done his job. The real culprit is Hunt. We will see if the young Hunt wants to win SB's or leverage Chiefs profits to fund a Soccer team.

Virtua Chief
06-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Do you remember what happened to Priest Holmes? We paid and he ate nachos in the press box on IR.

Priest did follow up the next year with like 15 TDs in 7 and a half games. He just happened to be injury prone.

I don't think LJ's fragility is in the same ballpark as Priest's. It's not even the same sport. LJ will get at least 20 mil guaranteed from KC and he deserves it and he will earn it. JMHO

Mile High Mania
06-23-2007, 08:29 AM
The bottom line in pro sports with scenarios like this... the guy is a top performer at his position, and while he may not be considered #1 by most - he is #2 or #3 depending on who you ask.

And, when guys like that come up for a new contract...the starting point is the last big contract signed by the premier player at the position. And, when Steven Jackson (or Gore) come up for their next contracts... it will be the same scenario.

So, yeah... one way or the other, LJ is due to be paid and will be paid as if he is the #1 RB in the land and it could quite possibly be (or at least rival) the highest paid player in the NFL.

You don't have to like it, but it's reality.

GoTrav
06-23-2007, 11:26 AM
He will be done by the time this team is rebuilt and be a crutch a la Curtis Martin, good enough to stay on the field and prevent change but no longer a game breaker. I would, however, like to see him taken care of. He's grossly underpaid.

Mecca
06-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Priest did follow up the next year with like 15 TDs in 7 and a half games. He just happened to be injury prone.

I don't think LJ's fragility is in the same ballpark as Priest's. It's not even the same sport. LJ will get at least 20 mil guaranteed from KC and he deserves it and he will earn it. JMHO

When you carry the ball that many times you become injury prone.....The Chiefs paid Holmes for 1 year basically.....that turned out to be a bad deal and is a pretty good example of why you should be wary of paying RB's with big workloads.

tk13
06-23-2007, 12:01 PM
I really doubt he'll sign for anything less than LT money, just because of inflation.

donkhater
06-23-2007, 12:29 PM
LJ and LT are about the same age, mean as much to their respective teams as the other does. Both get huge loads of work during the season. LT has been in the league a little longer so the wear and tear may be a little more subtle and chronic.

So ask yourself this---

Would you trade LT or balk at giving him a long term deal right now? If the answer is NO, then I can't see how you can have a different answer for LJ.

Pay the man a fair contract and stop worrying about 'what if's'. The man is your whole freaking offense for crying out loud. this whole organization does everything scared. Take a chance for once.

blueballs
06-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I associated learing the ropes with boxing
hehehehe -I typed ass

blueballs
06-23-2007, 12:36 PM
with either Huard or Croyle at the helm
the passing offense could suck
better pay him now -before he wants out

Count Alex's Wins
06-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Priest was paid prior to the 2003 season.

Mojo Rising
06-23-2007, 01:20 PM
LT avoids contact. Not as good as Marcus Allen....but like that.

LJ said he likes to attack the defenders. He runs angry. That decreases his longevity.

In the Dimwhitlock interview he sited Earl Campbell's physical troubles.

He wants to get paid a big signing bonus and then milk a salary on the IR.

LJ is all about LJ. I say we let him play out his contract and then franchise him in '08.

He will skip tc but he will not miss out on the seaon's paychecks.

He said he started saving money. What money? His checks come during the season.

GoTrav
06-23-2007, 02:44 PM
LT avoids contact. Not as good as Marcus Allen....but like that.

LJ said he likes to attack the defenders. He runs angry. That decreases his longevity.

In the Dimwhitlock interview he sited Earl Campbell's physical troubles.

LJ is all about LJ. I say we let him play out his contract and then franchise him in '08.

He will skip tc but he will not miss out on the seaon's paychecks.

He said he started saving money. What money? His checks come during the season.

Sure he likes contact but having him bang his head into a brick wall is all about offensive philosophy and a stupid waste of his talent. He was the same runner during the Vermil era but took less punishment due to the style of offense and quality of the oline. We're going to run this dudes balls off and have him take unnecessary punishment based on our style of play. Considering that, the dude needs to make his money but we're looking at the next Eddie George.

Mojo Rising
06-23-2007, 02:58 PM
He made his "attack defenders" and "run angry" comments under DV.

We should learn our lesson from Priest that it is not wise to pay for past performance. Why are we still paying Holmes anyway?

The last 3 backs to carry 400+ times did not repeat (Dickerson was traded) for the same team. The other 2 had injury problems (Eddie George and Jamaal Anderson).

Why do you want to sink $20 mil in guaranteed money in the guy? He is in his late 20's (29 next season).

My wish would be that Hunt would take charge and run the team with more attention than Lamar did (no Soccer.) If it ruffles CP's feathers so be it.

There are many CP bashers on the board but the ownership somehow gets a free pass (not a whiff of the Championship in over 37 years). CP is just carrying out the Hunts plan.

Fishpicker
06-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes I have, IMO it is a very over used retarded saying....

Brodie isnt going to "learn the ropes" Unless he is bending over in the shower for Huard...

How can someone "learn the ropes" Anyway?

You know how many times as a Chiefs fan, when someone gets cut or something from another team (Cause we all know every team is loaded with probowlers but ours) that we have to "bring someone in for a look" Or lets sign the Savy Vet QB to teach our younger guys "the ropes"...

"learning the ropes" comes from rope climbing... if you dont how to climb rope and just try to pull yourself up, you wont get very far. you "learn the ropes" by figuring out how to use your feet and legs and take advantage of knots in the rope.

milkman
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
LJ and LT are about the same age, mean as much to their respective teams as the other does. Both get huge loads of work during the season. LT has been in the league a little longer so the wear and tear may be a little more subtle and chronic.

So ask yourself this---

Would you trade LT or balk at giving him a long term deal right now? If the answer is NO, then I can't see how you can have a different answer for LJ.

Pay the man a fair contract and stop worrying about 'what if's'. The man is your whole freaking offense for crying out loud. this whole organization does everything scared. Take a chance for once.

I would not trade Tomlinson, but I would certainly balk at giving him a long term contract.

The reason I would not trade him is that Tomlinson is in his prime at a time when his team is ready to make a SB run.

LJ, on the other hand will be in decline when this team is ready to contend.

By trading him for a draft pick, you bring in someone that will be there to help this team when it is ready to contend.

But both guys are 28.
There isn't any way I would give either a deal that goes beyond 4 years at this point in their careers.

Buehler445
06-23-2007, 05:47 PM

LJ is all about LJ. .

LJ is all about LJ, but he wants to be known as the best. He's been pooped on, and now he wants to rub it in their faces. I think we pay him and he continues to perform until his body cannot. The dude really wants to be one of the best to prove everybody wrong.