PDA

View Full Version : Jason Stark thinks Joe Girardi would manage the Royals

Sam Hall
06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
One friend of Joe Girardi told Rumblings this week: "If Joe were to ask me whether he should take this (Orioles) job, I'd tell him he's nuts. I just can't see him working for Peter Angelos. I'd tell him to wait for a better job."

Girardi's buddies in the game say the one job he'd be interested in besides the Yankees, Mets and Cubs would surprise you. It's the Royals, if Buddy Bell ever gets fired, because of Girardi's respect for GM Dayton Moore.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2007, 12:10 PM
wowser ..... somebody actually wants the job.

is he any good?

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 12:12 PM

is he any good?

Cant be any worse than Bell... This guy should be in an independent farm league somewhere...

chagrin
06-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I don't know if I believe that at all, but he sure knows how to get something out of nothing.

Sam Hall
06-22-2007, 12:13 PM

is he any good?

Yeah, he made the Marlins respectable last year. The Royals would have competition from other teams looking for new managers this off-season.

chagrin
06-22-2007, 12:13 PM

is he any good?

He took the Florida Marlins to the Wild Card almost last year and they had the smallest payroll of all teams, I think it was the smallest payroll anyway.

Reerun_KC
06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
He would be a solid coach for years to come. Not far removed from the game and young enough to get the players attention... Plus he has had tons of success... Not hard to get players to buy into shiney flashy rings...

Sanka
06-22-2007, 12:35 PM

is he any good?
He was the NL Manager of the Year last season. He was fired because he and management didn't see eye to eye.

Pitt Gorilla
06-22-2007, 12:36 PM
I wanted him after he got canned last year.

tk13
06-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not quite as high on him as everybody else. He did a good job last year, but if he wants to come here he has to agree to shut up and let Dayton do his job. It could just be their GM is an idiot, but he did a heck of a job acquiring talent when everyone knew he was dumping salary.

DaneMcCloud
06-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I think Girardi gets the Yankees job after this year. If The Boss decided to fire Cashman, they'll probably go with Donnie Baseball. But if Cashman's around, I fully expect them to chose Girardi.

Chief Chief
06-22-2007, 01:10 PM
If the Royals hire any white dude for the job next (regardless of past experience/success), Frank White's gonna be on the phone to the ACLU, the union, the commissioner's office, the almighty Reverend Al Sharpton, the almightier Reverend Jesse Jackson, and the almightiest Oprah faster than his pivot on a double play.

DaneMcCloud
06-22-2007, 01:15 PM
If the Royals hire any white dude for the job next (regardless of past experience/success), Frank White's gonna be on the phone to the ACLU, the union, the commissioner's office, the almighty Reverend Al Sharpton, the almightier Reverend Jesse Jackson, and the almightiest Oprah faster than his pivot on a double play.

No way. That's nonsense. He's not even managing at AA any more because he felt he'd be better served in the front office.

Answer me this: If Frank White's such a great managerial candidate, why hasn't ANY other MLB team ever interviewed for that post?

Chief Chief
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
DaneMcCloud:

First, I didn't say he's the most deserving of the job or should be hired on the spot as soon as Bell leaves.

Second, you stated the reason White's working in the front office may well be that he feels "better served"(?). I don't know if that's the primary reason though. I do, however, know through the article published in the KC Star about 2 months ago that he realized that the managerial selection process was based on who-do-you-know vs. what-have-you-done, having seen others get hired as major league managers with less experience while not getting any calls for interviews.

I think White's minor league managerial experience is what it is. He did manage a team with a good number of promising and talented young ball players to a championship. That shouldn't mean that White's a great manager, but on the other hand, he didn't finish below expectations. Regardless, the one factor he's got on his side is that he'd be familiar with quite a few of the current Royals and their strengths/weaknesses.

Frazod
06-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Damn, that would be great. I still can't believe the Cubs took Pinella over him. Well, actually I can believe that. :D

Thig Lyfe
06-22-2007, 01:53 PM
That would be fantastic.

Which, of course, means it won't happen.

bkkcoh
06-22-2007, 02:11 PM
They were saying on ESPN the other day that even though the royals were mired with horrible records recently, it wasn't a team that one should avoid, like Baltimore, or the Nats and a couple of teams.

It seems as if the talking suits at ESPN kinda of like the direction Dayton M. is taking the royals and it wouldn't be that bad of a job.

I thought that was real interesting.

ChiefsCountry
06-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Well if anybody has sat down and actually watched the Royals over they years you would know that they arent a really bad team. Alot of games have been lost bc of poor management during games and blown saves in the bullpen.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I think Girardi gets the Yankees job after this year. If The Boss decided to fire Cashman, they'll probably go with Donnie Baseball. But if Cashman's around, I fully expect them to chose Girardi.
maybe the Royals should make the change BEFORE the end of the season so they can get a jump for Girardi then.

:shrug:

Cochise
06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
He'd be a good manager, probably. I'm not as high on him as everyone else - there is a lot of talent on the Marlin's roster, they have one of the best offenses in the league this year - and of course not as low as the mouth-breathers are on Bell.

But the time did come where Dayton thought he should make a change, he would be a good candidate.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2007, 02:54 PM
He'd be a good manager, probably. I'm not as high on him as everyone else - there is a lot of talent on the Marlin's roster, they have one of the best offenses in the league this year - and of course not as low as the mouth-breathers are on Bell.

But the time did come where Dayton thought he should make a change, he would be a good candidate.
how much of the talent difference is because the Marlins do a better job of coaching and developing players?

Jordan
06-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I started a thread (as a noob) half a year ago, or so, pleading for the Royals to hire Girardi.

With what he did with that young Marlins team, he's a stud manager with that Yankee pedigree - under the best manager in my lifetime: Mr. Joseph Torre (tho I hate the Yanks).

Also, though I hate Buddy as a manager, I think if we can get him to assume the Don Zimmer role of bench coach along side Girardi, we'd be in a hell of a position....though how many mangers would step down to be a young whipper snappers sidekick after already having that job? Regardless, WE NEED GIRARDI!!!!

Dayton, please do the right thing!!!!!

Coach
06-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm still concerned on how Girardi's mangaing pitchers.

IIRC, wasn't one of their pitchers got injured the year before due to pitcher abuse (Meaning, pitched count was extremely dangerously high?)

Sam Hall
06-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Don't forget Lou Piniella if he leaves the Cubs.

beavis
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
how much of the talent difference is because the Marlins do a better job of coaching and developing players?

I've always maintained that's 90% of our problem. If these guys came up having some idea how to play the game, the learning curve when they do get here wouldn't be nearly as long.

Sure-Oz
06-22-2007, 05:36 PM
We really need a guy that has a good background. The royals ****ed up when they took Pena over Showalter. I just hope a piniela or someone like that will be available.

Mecca
06-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm still concerned on how Girardi's mangaing pitchers.

IIRC, wasn't one of their pitchers got injured the year before due to pitcher abuse (Meaning, pitched count was extremely dangerously high?)

AJ Burnett had to have Tommy John but that was because of Jeff Torborg not Girardi.....he let him throw like 145 pitches.

Valiant
06-22-2007, 06:34 PM
AJ Burnett had to have Tommy John but that was because of Jeff Torborg not Girardi.....he let him throw like 145 pitches.

Or just get the guy that teaches pitchers the correct way to throw so they don't get hurt.. Let me see if I can find a article or video on him.. His pitchers throw something like 80+ pitches a day without strain and add 3-5[edit] mph to your pitch..

Here is one article..

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-marshall051007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The guy is Mike Marshall and he can teach pitchers to throw the ball naturally so they do not get the strain, problem is most of MLB has blackballed him...

DaneMcCloud
06-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Well if anybody has sat down and actually watched the Royals over they years you would know that they arent a really bad team. Alot of games have been lost bc of poor management during games and blown saves in the bullpen.

You should ask Pete. He seems to be the most passionate Royals fan on CP. I'm sure he's got a strong opinion about it.

I only see Royals games when they're on Fox Sports West playing the Angels or if I'm in town during the summer. I follow them via the web but certainly don't know as much about them as the locals (and I'm not referring to the Bozos on the radio - I mean real baseball followers).