PDA

View Full Version : I guess I don't see why everyone (media) is down on KC's chances

donkhater
06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
They were 9-7 and made the playoffs out fo the toughest division in football last season.

Position by position:

QB: Croyle may not be an improvement, but they really didn't lose anything with Green leaving. The best QB the Chiefs had last season is still on the roster. This will only be a downgrade if Herm is hell-bent on starting Croyle even if he is close to being ready.

RB: Still don't know if LJ will holdout, but the depth is certainly better than last season.

WR: Improved with Bowe

TE: Same, although aging. I actually think Wilson will be more involved this year. HE should. He's a good H-back and could be valuable to Croyle.

OL: Yes Shields retired, but I don't think Welborn is much of a downgrade if any. I can't imagine anyone being worse than Black at LT. (knock wood)

DL: Major upgrade. need to stay relatively injury free with Allen's suspension, though.

LB: Upgrade, but thin. I think Edwards and Harris are smarter/quiker, but are they good tacklers? Who are the backups again?

S: Push. Youth movement offset by inexperience.

CB: The one place you could say a decline occured. didn't do anyting to replace an already aging CB corp, although the Tampa 2 is a good D to use for two older CB's.

K: Incomplete. Sure Tynes was a head case but rookie kickers are still rookies.

ST: New long snapper and big ? on a return man. May or may not be better than Hall.

All in all a lot of question marks, but I feel and lot less downgrades than you may be led to believe. I'm not predicting Super Bowl, but they should show solid improvement IMO.

Guru
06-22-2007, 11:11 PM
We are Kansas City. What else do they need?

Halfcan
06-22-2007, 11:14 PM
at least KC barbQ has not declined

tk13
06-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with the QB situation. When you have two guys who've never really been in this position people are going to wait and see how they do. And that's fair. Although I do think if our defense continues to improve, we'll be a playoff contender.

stumppy
06-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Over this upcoming season I think they might start out slow but as the season goes along we'll all be happy with them.
It will take a little while for everybody to jell. But it looks like we've made a lot of the changes needed to have a solid team. I'll be suprised if we even have a winning record this year but the foundation is being built for a very competitive team. IMHO

SNR
06-22-2007, 11:27 PM
That question mark at QB is enough for people to write off the entire season, because oftentimes those kinds of teams implode. Chicago was a bad example, but their defense was so much better than ours will be this year that that kind of offset things. Teams like Tampa Bay, New York, Oakland, Minnesota, and hey, even Denver didn't do well at all because of the chaos at the position.

It's good that Croyle will probably be the starter and he'll know it during preseason so at least there won't be an identity crisis at the position. We still need him to play well, though.

Phobia
06-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm not down on the Chiefs. But I do think this is a rebuilding year and I'll be pleasantly surprised at <.500 ball.

CupidStunt
06-23-2007, 03:49 AM
I've basically been saying for months that we're gonna be about the same. Any downgrade in the QB play (NOT by the "loss" of Trent but either by Brodie starting or Huard slipping) will be made up in the improvements EVERYWHERE else: WR, OL, DL, LB and S.

7-9 to 9-7. If everything goes perfectly, 10-6 maybe.

Reerun_KC
06-23-2007, 07:22 AM
The best QB the Chiefs had last season is still on the roster.

That is so funny chit!!!!

LMAO

KC Tattoo
06-23-2007, 09:01 AM
I think Benny Sapp is going to have to step it up this year, this is a make it or break it season for him. imo. And Lenny Walls needs to stay healthy.
Our DBs will be in better shape this year with a healthy and sturdy D-line that can actually get to the QB with pressure and some sacks.

I'm looking forward to this season and don't think we will be a bad team.

I like the direction they have taken the Chiefs, to set up success for the future, and probably win a lot of games this year.

CoMoChief
06-23-2007, 09:08 AM
OFFENSE

QB - Which is the most important position on the field, is being played by pretty much a rookie this season. Regardless of what many homers think, this is a major downgrade for the offense. Although I don't think Croyle is ranked 32nd in the NFL in QB's, he's gonna have some major growing pains playing in a division with 3 good defenses.

RB - LJ is LJ, but with the fact that we are not gonna have a very good passing game will slow down his production. And him holding out in camp won't help at all either.

WR - Bowe will be an upgrade eventually, but I don't see him making much impact his first season playing. This is the same WR core that couldnt produce a 1st down or get open in 3 quarters against a piss poor Indy defense.

TE - We don't lose any ground here. TonyG is TonyG.

LT - Anything is an upgrade over Black. But I don't see McIntosh being a long term solution. I bet we draft a LT in the first rd of next season's draft.

LG - Waters is Waters, no loss of step here.

C - Weigman didn't play that well last season and isn't the prototypical center for Herm's run up the middle offense he likes to run. He is still better than anything else we have though to this point. His production may slip a little. Who knows though.

RG - Hard to replace a HoF'er, but Welbourn played well at RG during his time in Philly. Shield's production slipped a little last season IMO, so we may lose a step here but not by much.

RT - Chris Terry is better than anything we had last season. The key to our whole Oline is that they need to stay healthy so they can create some chemistry.

DEFENSE

LE - Hali played well last year for being just a rookie. This season he should improve. We are upgraded at this position.

RE - Jared Allen is a dumbass for drinking and driving, but I think sitting him out is gonna drive him more to succeed this season when he comes back. I think we only improve at this position (when he comes back) but the games without him are gonna be tough. Hopefully McBride shows some ability.

DT - This is the position we have been sorely lacking for the last 6-7 seasons, perhaps longer. As bad as we were on the interior Dline, I don't see how there is anywhere to go but up in this position.

OLB - Welcome back Donnie Edwards. Finally a LB who can cover and a LB that isn't playing out of position (Bell). Bell wouldn't be bad if we were playing a 3-4 scheme. I don't want to hear people say that it's the same thing because it's not. Bell is strictly a downhill LB. Watching him cover TE's last season was just brutal.

MLB - Mitchell sucked. I don't know why people here thought he was any good. Nap Harris isn't great, but he's better suited for a cover 2 scheme than Mitchell is. Thank god we didn't resign Mitchell.

OLB - DJ should have a breakout season.

CB - Law and Surtain have lost a step, but still are very good CB's in this league. What we lack here is depth. Sapp is nothing more than a blitzing CB is passing situations, but after that the depth at this position is scary bad. Hopefully we bring someone in.

S - Knight is slow and Wesley is a dumbass on the field. Pollard is a head hunter (literally) and Page showed some ability and talent last season. They are faster and quicker than what we had on the field last season. We are upgraded at this position.

ST - Gammon was the best LS in this league IMO, but losing him isn't gonna effect anything. Medlock will be good for a long time. Tynes sucked. I think we can all agree that we all held our breath everytime he lined up to kick. Hopefully Medlock's leg will get stronger for kickoffs. Losing Dante Hall hurts a little. He did a lot of great things for this football team in the past. I dont think he necessarily lost a step, but I do think our blocking on ST has dropped off a bit. Dante is still good for a couple returns a season. Hopefully this Ean Randolph guy is a steal and maybe he can do some things. What I won't miss is Dante running backwards trying to reduplicate the return he made against DEN a few seasons ago.

Games:
@HOU - HOU sucks and we don't have Hicks anymore for Kubiack to make look like a fool. Shaub isn't any better than Carr, because HOU oline still is a piece of shit. WIN

@CHI - I'm going to this game. Too bad we'll get our ass kicked because we can't play well on the road against decent teams. LOSE

MIN - Home opener at Arrowhead. The team and fans will be pumped up. Welcome to Arrowhead, Tavaris Jackson. WIN

@SD - I can't remember the last time we beat the Chargers at SD. We lose simply because they are far more talented than we are, that and once again we don't play worth a shit in SD. LOSE

JAX - They still have QB issues. I dont feel like going in depth into this game. WIN

CIN - This game depends on how many Bengals are suspended going into this game. This is at home, but we got our asses kicked at home last season. Though I'm predicting NOT to have a QB meltdown like last year's game, I still think their offense torches us. LOSE

@OAK - **** the Raiders, they suck. That is all, WIN

GB - I can't remember the last time Favre was in Arrowhead. Should be fun to watch. I think we win this game. WIN

DEN - **** 'em, WIN

@IND - Peyton Manning torches us again and Dungy makes Edwards look like a fool. We also can't play on the road. LOSE

OAK - Raiders still suck. WIN

SD - LOSE, they play like shit in Arrowhead, but this is a rebuilding year for KC.

@DEN - LOSE, we can't play worth a shit in DEN.

TEN - Welcome to Arrowhead in Dec., Vince Young. WIN.

@DET - This should be the game where the fans do their season annual walkout on Matt Millen. WIN

@NYJ - Lose. We usually crap down our pants late in the season on the road. Jets are a pretty decent team.

Final Record: 9-7

This record all depends on how well Brodie Croyle plays.

milkman
06-23-2007, 09:20 AM
I think Benny Sapp is going to have to step it up this year, this is a make it or break it season for him. imo. And Lenny Walls needs to stay healthy.
Our DBs will be in better shape this year with a healthy and sturdy D-line that can actually get to the QB with pressure and some sacks.

I'm looking forward to this season and don't think we will be a bad team.

I like the direction they have taken the Chiefs, to set up success for the future, and probably win a lot of games this year.

Walls is with the Rams now.

milkman
06-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I disagree that Shaub won't be better than Carr.

The Texans O-Line is bad, but Carr, with his inability to make quick reads and get the ball out, made them look worse than they are.

Hog Rider
06-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Keep effin' doubting Brodie Croyle!

Chris Meck
06-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Everyone else in our division is playing young QB's as well. It's the best case scenario you could hope for.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I'll be thrilled if we go 9-7 i see a 7-9 to 8-8 team, esp with a new QB at the helm.

GoTrav
06-23-2007, 10:01 AM
bring back the playaction!

StcChief
06-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Same ol Chiefs hovering around ~.500