PDA

View Full Version : I made homemade granola...

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Pretty good. It's not as sweet as a lot of the prepackaged granolas and I think it's better than most.

Big Batch Granola

1 box (6 cups) rolled oats
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup honey (or honey mixed with maple syrup)
1/3 cup oil, any kind
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup dried fruit, optional

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Combine the first 5 ingredients. Warm the honey, add the oil and vanilla. Drizzle the honey-oil over the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Spread the mixture onto 2 cookie sheets. Bake about 30 minutes until golden, stirring every 10 minutes.

When done, remove from oven and stir in dried fruit if used. As the granola cools, it will lose its stickiness and become crunchy. Makes about 9 cups.

Count Zarth
06-23-2007, 12:25 PM
It's official, you're gay.

Bwana
06-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Heh! :p

Rain Man
06-23-2007, 12:39 PM
That's identical to my grannyola recipe, but my recipe adds two cups of old woman.

blueballs
06-23-2007, 12:44 PM
realmen would just chew the bark off a tree

RJ
06-23-2007, 12:48 PM
I like granola.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Alton Brown has a good recipe so I've heard

FAX
06-23-2007, 12:52 PM
That sounds pretty darn good, Mr. Fire Me Boy!.

I measure my ingredients using the metric system and call it gramola.

FAX

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Heh! :p

It's official, you're gay.

Well... see, I'm really, REALLY trying to get healthier. I've been doing pretty well with my diet, but I really like crunchy things. And most granolas have way too much sugar for me.

And believe me... I'm no tree hugger.

As a matter of fact, I'm the guy that helped Phil cut DOWN that apple tree!

By the way, that made for some pretty sweet ribs!

noa
06-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Alton Brown has a good recipe so I've heard

I saw that episode...definitely made me want to try making it at home from now on.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 01:25 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17135,00.html

I haven't tried this one... probably will sometime.

blueballs
06-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I hope you atleast thrashed your own grains

blueballs
06-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Jerry Seinfeld: "What are we doing? ... What in God's name are we doing?"

Jason Alexander as George: "What."

Seinfeld: "What kind of lives are these? We're like children. We're not men."

Alexander: "No, we're not. We're not men."

Seinfeld: "We're pathetic, ya know that?"

Alexander: "Yeah, like I don't know that I'm pathetic."

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 02:11 PM
I hope you atleast thrashed your own grains
Yes. Yes, I did. I also grow my own oats, gathered my walnuts, pressed the canolas for the oil, and harvested the honey in my backyard. I also grow a Cassia tree so I don't have to buy my cinnamon and grew my own vanilla beans because the store-bought beans are garbage. I'd rather feed those to livestock.

I did, however, buy my raisins.

blueballs
06-23-2007, 02:14 PM
sowing the oats
that's the key

FAX
06-23-2007, 02:14 PM
How, in the name of Bruce Lee's hashish addiction, does one gather the courage to press the oil out of one's canolas?

FAX

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 02:21 PM
How, in the name of Bruce Lee's hashish addiction, does one gather the courage to press the oil out of one's canolas?

FAX
Pressing oil out of canolas: What are things that make me cry for $1,000, Alex.

Bwana
06-23-2007, 02:40 PM
By the way, that made for some pretty sweet ribs!

Really? So how much wood did you end up with out of that little project?

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Really? So how much wood did you end up with out of that little project?
Not a lot, but both Phil and I were surprised at how little usable wood there was.

We ended up with a lot of brush, twigs, crap like that. I ended up with a decent pile, but not a ton.

I have three 22 gallon rubbermaid tubs full... does that give you any idea?

Bwana
06-23-2007, 02:54 PM
It does indeed, but that should last you a few Q's huh? I have alwsys used apple to smoke fish and mostly mesquite and hickory for beef, elk, bison and various other red meats. Chicken (yardbird) I never have done much smoking with that.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh, yeah, it'll last me a while. There's no doubt about that.

Phil kept most of the big stuff because he was getting a splitter.

Bwana
06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Oh, yeah, it'll last me a while. There's no doubt about that.

Phil kept most of the big stuff because he was getting a splitter.

I planted a three apple trees out back a few years ago that have been growing like they are on roids, but have yet to produce any fruit. I planted two more last year along with a cherry tree and those three are all cranking out the fruit. :hmmm: I told my wife those origional three had one more year to show me some apples, or the chain saw is coming out to play along with the super duty and chain. I'll hang three more cherry trees to go along with the three extras I planted this spring. Nothing like producing ones owe wood for the Q and having a bonus orchard.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I planted a white peach tree a few years ago at my old house in Warrensburg. Year before I left it started producing some edible fruit. Last year it really got growing... I had to thin the peaches so the ones I left would be good and they wouldn't break the tree limbs.

Went back to W'burg a couple of months ago and drove by the house. Mother****ers that bought my place cut the tree down. When they bought it would have been the first summer it would have given really good fruit.

Bwana
06-23-2007, 03:19 PM
That blows, I have always liked fruit trees. Not only will they give you shade, but something good to eat that doesn't look like this crap you get in the market these days. On a side note: What the hell is that shiny glossy crap they spray on a lot of fruit you buy in the store? :shake:

You cant wash that junk off. It looks like fricken clearcoat! I can't bring myself to trust anything that can't be washed off that I have to wear sun glasses to look at to protect my eyes from exploding.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 03:22 PM
That blows, I have always liked fruit trees. Not only will they give you shade, but something good to eat that doesn't look like this crap you get in the market these days. On a side note: What the hell is that shiny glossy crap they spray on a lot of fruit you buy in the store these days? :shake:

You cant wash that junk off. It looks like fricken clearcoat! I can't bring myself to trust anything that can't be washed off that I have to wear sun glasses to look at to protect my eyes from exploding.
I think it's basically an edible wax.

To really get it off, dunk the fruit in boiling water for about 20 seconds.

Bwana
06-23-2007, 03:27 PM
To really get it off, dunk the fruit in boiling water for about 20 seconds.

I'll give that a shot. :thumb:

HemiEd
06-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Pretty good. It's not as sweet as a lot of the prepackaged granolas and I think it's better than most.

Big Batch Granola

1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil, any kind
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Combine the first 5 ingredients. Warm the honey, add the oil and vanilla. Drizzle the honey-oil over the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Spread the mixture onto 2 cookie sheets. Bake about 30 minutes until golden, stirring every 10 minutes.

When done, remove from oven and stir in dried fruit if used. As the granola cools, it will lose its stickiness and become crunchy. Makes about 9 cups.

What the ****?!? Is it snowing there or what? I played golf and took the boys fishing today. Turn in your man card now. ROFL

convict1983
06-23-2007, 03:53 PM
You know who I know you're gay? Cause you make your own granola.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 03:53 PM
What the ****?!? Is it snowing there or what? I played golf and took the boys fishing today. Turn in your man card now. ROFL
I was spending what VERY LITTLE of my time I get with my wife indoors... enjoying the pleasure of her company.

And I enjoy cooking. WTF it matter to you what I do with my time?

I don't have children, I get to see my wife pretty much from 6 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. M-F and 8 a.m. to 12 noon on weekends.

Is that ****ing OK with you, man among men?

HemiEd
06-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I was spending what VERY LITTLE of my time I get with my wife indoors... enjoying the pleasure of her company.

And I enjoy cooking. WTF it matter to you what I do with my time?

I don't have children, I get to see my wife pretty much from 6 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. M-F and 8 a.m. to 12 noon on weekends.

Is that ****ing OK with you, man among men?

ROFL, well done. Will you send me some?

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 03:55 PM
You know who I know you're gay? Cause you make your own granola.
The more you post the more you confirm the following decision:

Have you met my good friend, Iggy? Iggy, meet fighclub1983.

convict1983
06-23-2007, 04:03 PM
The more you post the more you confirm the following decision:

Have you met my good friend, Iggy? Iggy, meet fighclub1983.

Dont get all defensive fruitloops. You are the one that decided to tell the world you made granola today. Whats next are you going to start a thread about how you bought an NSYNC cd too? ROFL

Count Zarth
06-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Chicks dig guys who can cook. I bet Fire Me Boy! gets a heapin' helpin' o hoo-hah for this granola.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 04:07 PM
fightclub1983 joined the exclusive club of memyselfI and recycle on ignore.

Life is pleasant.

And you know, GoChiefs... I've had more than one woman "appreciative" of my skills in the kitchen, including my wife.

And I'm fairly certain I've been laid in my kitchen more times in the past year than fightclub1983 has been... ever... anywhere.

Phobia
06-23-2007, 05:23 PM
You're so gay because you cook.

HARHARHAR.

Coach
06-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Just make sure you don't go crazy on the fiber. Too much of that, you'll be shittin hard until kingdom come.

Coach
06-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Dont get all defensive fruitloops. You are the one that decided to tell the world you made granola today. Whats next are you going to start a thread about how you bought an NSYNC cd too? ROFL

And you're the one that decided to call him "fruitloops."

That's so gay. :shake:

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Just make sure you don't go crazy on the fiber. Too much of that, you'll be shittin hard until kingdom come.
Exactly why I didn't add flax seed. Lotsa fiber in those little things.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Also why I added walnuts instead of any other nut. Too many of those and you'll be peeing out yer butt.

listopencil
06-23-2007, 07:14 PM
The stench of homophobia in this thread is strong.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 07:18 PM
The stench of homophobia in this thread is strong.
Whew.... I'm glad.

I thought it was the raisins.

listopencil
06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Whew.... I'm glad.

I thought it was the raisins.

To be honest it could be my feet. I just got off work.

Bacon Cheeseburger
06-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Yes. Yes, I did. I also grow my own oats, gathered my walnuts, pressed the canolas for the oil, and harvested the honey in my backyard. I also grow a Cassia tree so I don't have to buy my cinnamon and grew my own vanilla beans because the store-bought beans are garbage. I'd rather feed those to livestock.

I did, however, buy my raisins.
Oh great. A vanilla bean snob. :shake:

Fried Meat Ball!
06-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh great. A vanilla bean snob. :shake:
ROFL

Yellowbutter72
06-24-2007, 05:18 PM

Big Batch Granola

1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil, any kind
1 teaspoon vanilla

So, how many calories is this?

Yellowbutter72
06-24-2007, 05:19 PM

Big Batch Granola

1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil, any kind
1 teaspoon vanilla

Let's try this again! lol How many calories is this?

Yellowbutter72
06-24-2007, 05:23 PM
You're so gay because you cook.

HARHARHAR.

You mean you have to be gay to cook?

Fried Meat Ball!
06-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Let's try this again! lol How many calories is this?
No clue...