PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else concerned that we didn't address the LB position?

ChiTown
04-23-2001, 08:43 AM
Before you throw this out, Monty Beisel will probably play DE for the Chiefs and not LB. The coaches have slated him in as one of the 4 DE's in 3rd down rotation. I was a amazed that we did not address the LB position in this years draft, especially in round 4. It would have been nice to see a LB pick with #108. There were plenty of quality LB guys on the board at that point, and it looks like we went fishing in the developmental FB pond at #108. Why???

LB's the Chiefs passed on for Layne:
1. Brandon Spoon - North Carolina
2. Carlos Polk - Nebraska
3. Marcus Steele -USC
4. Edgerton Hartwell - Western Illinois (Leathernecks.. you gotta love the mascot)

While it is too early to judge this draft until they take the field in preseason, it is hard to understand while this position was ignored. The Chiefs were one of the worst run defenses in the league last year. While DT position was a lot of the problem (as well as scheme), it is hard not to fault the LB play as being a hole for this team. Minus Donnie Edwards and an up & coming Maz, this unit has problems, including the aged Marvcus Patton

ChiTown
~perplexed and disappointed

Gaz
04-23-2001, 08:48 AM
The Chiefs apparently intend to move Atkins to LB. I also expect a FA LB after June 1st [is it possible that the Jags will simply release Hardy, or perhaps we could trade one of our current plethora of RBs for him?].

The hopes and continued mental health of the Defense Homers is now dependent upon players cut from other teams.

No wonder I am bummed.

xoxo~
Gaz
Scavenging for Defense from the corpses of the June bloodbaths.

AJKCFAN
04-23-2001, 08:50 AM
Pat:

Kevin Hardy may be a Chief. He sure as heck doesn't look like a Jaguar this year.

Maybe O'Neal is ready. Or Stills. We saw how well Maz played when given a chance. Same can be said for Favors a few years ago too.

Chiefs are far from done making moves this offseason...

This time of year has always been the peak-time for Chiefs transactions.

NaptownChief
04-23-2001, 08:51 AM
Taking Snoop Doggy Dog Minnis in the 3rd instead of his teammate Brian Allen was a big mistake IMO...Especially since how I believe Kasper will be a better reciever anyway...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-23-2001, 08:52 AM
ChiTown,

I am surprised. Looking at who we have available to fill in at the third LB spot (Bush, Patton, Stills, ?), I figured we'd at least look at some good young LBs who could be back-ups this year and special teams and be ready to step in either late this year or early next.

I like the Vermeil team on the field, but the Chiefs front office is scaring me a lot these past few weeks. :(

Cormac
04-23-2001, 08:55 AM
I'm still more worried about our D-line and DBs than LB. To be honest, none of the 3 positions look that strong. But I still maintain that our LBs were handicapped by Willie/Kurt's scheme last season. This hurt them more than a lack of talent IMO. I noticed that DV recognizes Maz as a MLB. That's good. That means with him and Patton platooning inside, and Edwards at the weak side, we have Bush, Atkins, O'Neal and Stills at the other OLB spot. My hope is that Atkins or O'Neal is a stud, and given that we made little effort to take a LB in the draft, it looks like the coaching staff might be expecting a lot of one of them.....

ChiTown
04-23-2001, 09:05 AM
I was hoping that we would use FA to address another CB as well as another DT. I can not understand, and Lord knows that I have tried, why we took FB Layne with #108. That was neither a value or a need pick. It was hair-brained. Period.

Round 4 had excellent LB value picks. The Chiefs were and are shy LB depth. They could have easily upgraded their current lineup with the addition of a Marcus Steele (USC is a LB Factory). He was the guy I wanted. I guess I need to just get over it and move on.

Before I do, someone please tell me why the FB was a good pick?? These guys are a dime a dozen in FA market, and cap friendly as well.

NaptownChief
04-23-2001, 09:25 AM
Chi,

I don't understand the Layne pick either...Not good value when Moran was still on the board nor do I see it as a need position...

Many others in here are saying we had no depth behind Richardson...With the type of offense that we will be running will put us in a one back set a lot thus minimizing the need for a FB...The Colts run a similar offense and never put a back on the field other than James...So I agree that it was a very questionable pick at the point we took him...

ct
04-23-2001, 09:34 AM
Perhaps because TRich will not be a Chief for long. I've made no secret of my desire to give TRich the ball, to annoint him our feature HB, and see what happens. But I'm trying to look objectively at our O-backfield, and this is what I see.

RB: Holmes, Cloud, Moreau, Blaylock, Hall
FB: TRich, Layne

Hall's as good as gone, IMO. Moreau does not fit the mold whatsoever for RB anymore, so he may be gone as well. Cloud has value in this scheme, as does Blaylock.

But what about Trich? What are we gonna do with him?
I've heard them say he'll get come opps in single-back sets, but I have a hard time believing this. I have no justification for feeling it, but this sinking feeling won't go away. TRich may be traded for a LB, CB, or WR.

Why else would we draft a backup FB, for an offensive scheme which may never use the starting FB? :confused:

Packfan
04-23-2001, 09:56 AM
You cant fill everyone one of the Chiefs holes through the draft. There are just to many of them. The Chiefs have so many holes that they had to use one of their picks for a coach.

Dont worry though, there is always a Lew Bush or Carlton Gray waiting for the Chiefs to come calling. The Chiefs will try to stop gap the remaining holes by signing castoffs after June 2. Thats how they have always built their team.

No wonder this franchise hasnt won a playoff game in 8 years.

NaptownChief
04-23-2001, 10:00 AM
Ken,

Talk about holes...Your team resembles the swiss cheese that is being produced in the neighboring areas of Green Bay...

I am confident enough that your team has far more holes than ours that we need to put a little wager on who ends up with the better record this year...You up for it?

CanadaKC
04-23-2001, 11:08 AM
Any chance of us signing Kevin Hardy after June1st?

KC Jones
04-23-2001, 11:10 AM
Between O'Neal, Maz, Patton, and Edwards I'm not too worried about LB. Bush is just like Gray IMO - an overpaid underachiever that we picked up in a panic FA signing. Like Gray he'll probably only be here until it's cap friendly to axe him. Hopefully there is some emerging potential from Stills, Atkins, Tisdale.

I really don't know what to make of our secondary - especially the CBs. I think there's some potential there but it needs to crystalize. We'll see what happens.

We have two very good DEs in Hicks and Clemmons. Browning is a natural DT IMO. Williams is still here but we'll see what comes after June 1st. I'd like to see a little more quality depth on the line. I'd like to see more of a gap stopping presence in the interior than we've had for a while. Keeping the C and Gs from getting downfield and onto our LBS will improve their play a lot.

The Bad Guy
04-23-2001, 11:45 AM
Ahh the moron Packers fan has decide to grace us with his presence once again.

Lets address the Packers squad at the current moment, and look at where their holes are.

WR- Outside of Antonio Freeman, you don't have a player who could catch a cold in the winter.

At running back, you rest your hopes on a guy who hasn't been healthy in three years.

You have a makeshift offensive line with old men like Frank Winters, Earl Dotson, and Marco Rivera. Your best OT decided he'd rather play for Cleveland.

You talk about Lew Bush being terrible, and I'm not defending him in any way, but look at the starting linebackers you currently have. Bernardo Harris, Na'll Diggs and Torrance Marshall. Your linebacker corp is hurting bad.

Your secondary also has serious holes at cornerback. Outside of Darren Sharper and old-man Leroy Butler, you have nothing to gloat about.

So in hindsight. You have major holes at OL, WR, LB, and CB.

THe Chiefs have current holes at CB, and DT.

Whos in worse shape now?

I will also be willing to bet that the 2001 Kansas City Chiefs finish with a better record than your Packers this year.

Put up or shut up Ken.

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2001, 04:40 PM
Although I believe a guy like Hardy may be on the way, I would be just as excited about seeing Atkins or O'Neal playing. Atkins hits like a monster but was a little big and slow for a safety(sounds like and outside backer) O'neal just needs a little seasoning to go with his speed and athletic ability.

revolver808
04-23-2001, 05:23 PM
I would have loved to see the Chiefs trade up a few picks to make a play for Oklahoma standout LB Torrance Marshall. I know for a fact that Vermeil and Peterson went down to OU to see him work out in person- maybe they weren't thrilled with what they saw. IMO, Marshall was the motor of that OU championship defense. He would have provided us with speed and strength at the point of attack- plus a knack for leadership and making plays in key situations.

Mark-
agrees that the LB corps is looking woefully underserviced this offseason.

keg in kc
04-23-2001, 05:38 PM
Vermeil said this morning he wanted to move up and take Sedrick Hodge, but the warroom wouldn't go for it. He didn't mention Marshall, which makes me think he wasn't rated that highly by our staff...

I think we'll be okay at LB. We have 2/3 of a good starting trio (although I still have some questions about Maz...) and I think that someone on the roster will step up to fill the third hole.

I wouldn't mind seeing a vet brought in, of course, I just don't think we'll be in the running for Hardy, and I don't know of anyone else who will be available at this point.

DaWolf
04-23-2001, 05:56 PM
I'm more concerned about corner than LB. If we go into a season with Warfield as a starter, oh boy.

I'm still confident in our LB's. Edwards I feel can return to form if they use him properly. I think Patton has some football left in him, and according to Vermiel, he feels that Bush is primed to bounce back and is working hard. The bad part is neither Patton or Edwards are, they are missing from the offseason workouts. They better get their asses in gear, otherwise we will be in trouble.

I think the biggest thing last year was our defensive scheme, which was horrible, and guys were always out of position. We need to put them in position to make plays...

WisChief
04-23-2001, 06:15 PM
I don't put much stock in what the clowns on TV have to say about players that do and do not get drafted, but - I'm sorry, I don't know his name - a former GM/Director of Player Personel/Employee of some team was on ESPN Sunday afternoon late talking about what players that do not get drafted should do. He made the comment that might, just might, help us with the LB and CB positions. He said that it is up to the player and the player's agent to locate the teams that need that position. Carl and VD probably had 500 calls today from LB's and CB's (and obviously other positions). I would not be surprised to see some rookie FA's in camp going for these positions of need.

old_geezer
04-23-2001, 06:59 PM
I too would like to see us pick up a run-stuffing MLB this year. I believe it still might happen after June 1st. It seems everyone ran on us whenever they wanted to last year.

But something most of us seem to be overlooking lately is the new coaching staff. We will be better - even with the same players - IMO because of the change in coaches and coaching philosophy. I might add that we have picked up some pretty good players too; nothing that will step up and slap you in the face, but solid and respectable.