PDA

View Full Version : Astrotheology

HolyHandgernade
06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Here's an interesting movie (well, I find it interesting) on the astrotheological origins of religions, especially the Judeo-Christian connections:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5216975979627863972

Fishpicker
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
zeitgeist is interesting but it sounds like a rehash of Jordan Maxwell's vids.

BucEyedPea
06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I thought parts were interesting and I wouldn't say I disbelieve all of it....however there's a few things that discredit it to me:

It operates under a misconception of what the Immaculate Conception means...which means Mary was conceived without Original Sin—NOT that she conceived as a virgin. This is not to say that it is believed she didn't also have a virgin birth. But it shows a lack of understanding of at least parts of Christianity.

Anything that ends with religion=slavery...just comes across as a axe to grind making their claims suspect even if aspects maybe or seem to be true. As if those who seek to discredit religion as a generality aren't seeking their own means of control. LOL!

HolyHandgernade
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
It operates under a misconception of what the Immaculate Conception means...which means Mary was conceived without Original Sin—NOT that she conceived as a virgin. This is not to say that it is believed she didn't also have a virgin birth. But it shows a lack of understanding of at least parts of Christianity.

Sure, that's an aspect, but then you get into, "What does Original Sin mean?" For example, is this an allegory for sex? If it is, then virginity for the birth of a God seems a prerequisite. I think you would be hard pressed to find a ancient reference to where Mary isn't considered a virgin, or at least "the perpetual Virgin", which has nothing to do with how many children she is supposed to conceive.

Anything that ends with religion=slavery...just comes across as a axe to grind making their claims suspect even if aspects maybe or seem to be true. As if those who seek to discredit religion as a generality aren't seeking their own means of control. LOL!

I agree, it actually takes away from the field as an objective study. I'd love to see a more academic angle taken towards the subject. Hmmm, maybe I should take some film classes....... :hmmm:

-HH

BucEyedPea
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Sure, that's an aspect, but then you get into, "What does Original Sin mean?" For example, is this an allegory for sex? If it is, then virginity for the birth of a God seems a prerequisite. I think you would be hard pressed to find a ancient reference to where Mary isn't considered a virgin, or at least "the perpetual Virgin", which has nothing to do with how many children she is supposed to conceive.

I think the question should be what do Christian's think it means; not what an outsider thinks it means. It just may have different meanings in different denominations. It's not an allegory for sex, since sex is sacred and good as it helps the families and the group survive and spread. I only can speak of what I was taught which is that is man's capacity to do wrong/harm. Iirc, it traces back to Adam's original sin being disobedience to God.

HolyHandgernade
06-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I only can speak of what I was taught which is that is man's capacity to do wrong/harm. Iirc, it traces back to Adam's original sin being disobedience to God.

But, then why is Mary's conception special, just because it is claimed to be with a God. That's a very old motif in itself.

-HH

HolyHandgernade
06-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Check out the frescoe excavated in Meggido in a prison now thought to be among the earliest of Christian churches. Notice the fish symbol isn't a single fish:

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051106/051106_israelChurch_hmed_4p.h2.jpg

-HH

BucEyedPea
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
But, then why is Mary's conception special, just because it is claimed to be with a God. That's a very old motif in itself.

I believe it just means she was free from sin—all sin.

Check out the frescoe excavated in Meggido in a prison now thought to be among the earliest of Christian churches. Notice the fish symbol isn't a single fish:

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051106/051106_israelChurch_hmed_4p.h2.jpg

-HH

Cool! Since I'm a Pisces. I enjoyed the part about being in the Age of Pisces. :thumb:

Really, though one can read many things into anything. Some of those astrology guides are general enough to work for anyone.

Adept Havelock
06-27-2007, 04:34 PM
As if those who seek to discredit religion as a generality aren't seeking their own means of control. LOL!

Damn, I didn't think it was that transparent. My view that Religion=Superstion is just a way for me to gain authority over my fellow primates. Guess I'll have to find a new means. DOH!

:p

BucEyedPea
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Damn, I didn't think it was that transparent. My view that Religion=Superstion is just a way for me to gain authority over my fellow primates. Guess I'll have to find a new means. DOH!

:p
I don't mean people who merely disbelieve. I mean those who seek to institute something else in it's place as a type God or some such.

Adept Havelock
06-27-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't mean people who merely disbelieve. I mean those who seek to institute something else in it's place as a type God or some such.

Mrs. Standish was a good teacher in that business class years back, but I can't bring myself to think of her as a "type God" or "type Goddess". :)