PDA

View Full Version : Would this work? Campaign Financing through blind trusts.

jAZ
06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
So I heard an idea on talk radio today that I thought was interesting.

A simple campaign finance reform law that states that all campaign contributions paid to candidates be required to be paid into a blind trust where the candidate is allowed to take XX dollars of money (even unlimited in theory) but that they can't ever know where the money came from.

It would allow the individual to support their prefered candidate at their perfered level without establishing that quid-pro-quo that hurts our political system.

Just curious what people here think about the idea.

Pitt Gorilla
06-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Either candidates would get less money OR people would find a way to let the candidates know exactly how much money they donated.

Taco John
06-28-2007, 01:33 AM
In theory it sounds great. In fact, It is such a great idea that I'm going to donate $1 million dollars to your trust tomorrow morning *nudge, nudge*

trndobrd
06-28-2007, 06:48 AM
So I heard an idea on talk radio today that I thought was interesting.

A simple campaign finance reform law that states that all campaign contributions paid to candidates be required to be paid into a blind trust where the candidate is allowed to take XX dollars of money (even unlimited in theory) but that they can't ever know where the money came from.

It would allow the individual to support their prefered candidate at their perfered level without establishing that quid-pro-quo that hurts our political system.

Just curious what people here think about the idea.

How would the candidate not know who was contributing? I assume under this blind trust system there would be no public disclosure of who is contributing to which candidate and in what amounts, lest the candidate find out where the money came from.

Under the current system, I can get online (http://www.fec.gov) and see every contributor (over $100) to every Federal candidate, party committee and PAC.

I prefer sunshine over secrecy.

FD
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
The big money donors would still give and make sure the candidate knew it. This would just make everything less transparent.

Cochise
06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
So, would there still be limits on individual donations...?

BucEyedPea
06-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I would think such a system would deny access to those they might consider an illegitimate candidate.

I would think less would donate, as they may not want someone they hate getting any part of their money. I know I'd be like that.

jAZ
06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
In theory it sounds great. In fact, It is such a great idea that I'm going to donate $1 million dollars to your trust tomorrow morning *nudge, nudge*
Exactly why this could work.

A lot of people would be promising a lot of things. The candidate knows knowing (in theory).