PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Hair's Assessment of Our Draft

NaptownChief
04-23-2001, 11:39 AM
I usually don't think much of Kiper's opinions but him and I completely agree on our whole draft....

Kansas City Chiefs: Defensive tackle Eric Downing was a major reach in the third round. I thought he would either be a late-round pick or an undrafted free agent. Receiver Marvin "Snoop" Minnis was probably a stretch too. Defensive Monty Beisel, though, was a solid pick. Running back George Layne went a little earlier than I thought. I like the picks of tight end Billy Baber, running back Derrick Blaylock and guard Alex Sulfsted and then defensive back Shaunard Harts in the seventh round. Grade: C

oleman47
04-23-2001, 12:00 PM
Minnis is a warrior. He was a first to second round all season long and was not a reach. He is better than many picked ahead of him as a receiver, he just doesn't fit the current prototype. The combine stuff is not the only story or Capel would be number one. He will play because the QB is going to demand it.

ExtremeChief
04-23-2001, 12:07 PM
I think Minnis will be fine. He's the man Charlie Joyner wanted, so I'll trust Charlie. I like the DE from K-State as well, he sounds like a player, kinda like Maz and Hicks.

I'm probably most excited about Blaylock...if he had went to a more prominent school, he would have went much higher IMO.

The org seems to think Downing has a big upside. They say he got bigger and stronger as the year progressed. It's hard to tell if he's a reach or not.

time will tell, but I don't think we did to badly...

NaptownChief
04-23-2001, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by oleman47
Minnis is a warrior. He was a first to second round all season long and was not a reach. He is better than many picked ahead of him as a receiver, he just doesn't fit the current prototype. The combine stuff is not the only story or Capel would be number one. He will play because the QB is going to demand it.

That is not true cause Capel ran a fast 40 but couldn't run a route or catch a cold....

Minnis is only 165 lbs which is extremely rare...Nobody spends a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy that scrawny...But more than anything, even if you assume he has the production and physical skills to be a 1st or 2nd rounder his attitude and baggage that he brings makes him at most a 4th rounder....

MrBlond
04-23-2001, 12:11 PM
This is a good assessment. The only pick I really wanted and was disappointed in not getting was Bill Grammatica. I would have liked to taken Grammatica in Downings spot, and Fatefehi in Laynes. I shudder to think of Peterson not only kicking field goals but handling kickoffs also.

ChiTown
04-23-2001, 12:18 PM
I think we'll find our kicker in FA. There a lot of excellent college kickers available that were not drafted (ie. Rheem - KSU, won't kick a lot of 50 yders, but doesn't miss under 45). IMO, Peterson is Stoyo spelled backwards.

DaWolf
04-23-2001, 01:11 PM
I think the only "downer" of this draft, as far as we the fans are concerned, is Downing, because he was our first pick, and none of us had him rated anywhere as a DT. I think had we gotten someone we were more familiar with, this draft would be looked upon a little more favorably. The other picks I thought were appropriate for where they got selected. I would have liked to have come out of it with a QB like McMahon, but oh well. If we come out of this draft with 2 or 3 future starters and a backup or two, it is a great draft. 1 or 2 starters and a couple of backups, a good draft. Less than that, and it s a mediocre draft...

Gaz
04-23-2001, 01:19 PM
I can live with the Chiefs assessment of Downing, Minnis and Beisel. They were not my pre-draft picks, but the explanation from the Chiefs is quite reasonable and I have no further complaints.

I remain thoroughly mystified by the selection of a backup FB in the 4th. There were good LBs and CBs left on the board at that time. I have yet to read a rationalization of this pick that rings true with me.

Still, I have promised myself that I will give the new staff the benefit of the doubt. I will simply assume that the FB will play a larger role than I anticipated in the Saunders Offense.

xoxo~
Gaz
Reminding himself that he trusts Vermeil and Company.

Joe Seahawk
04-23-2001, 01:31 PM
WTF?? An O-lineman thats a track star...Hmmm, maybe we will make him a wide receiver...:)

Dennis Norman
SELECTED BY SEATTLE , ROUND 7, PICK 22, OVERALL PICK 222
OT | (6-4, 307, 5.16) | PRINCETON
By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: Lettered in football, track and basketball in high school. Sat out the 1997 season with broken leg suffered in fall camp. All-Ivy League offensive tackle in '98, '99 and 2000. Has also competed for Princeton's track team. Just turned 21 in January of 2001.

Iowanian
04-23-2001, 01:56 PM
I am not normally a pesimist, but the first name of the last Chief selected sums it up best for me

TURDell sands

I was busy and couldn't watch/listen this weekend...this was nowhere near the list I'd hoped to see. I truely hope there are some diamonds under the coal....and someone can paste this in December and say "Iowanian, you were a dumbass to not beleive this was a great draft"

~have a bad feeling about this one.

Gaz
04-23-2001, 02:01 PM
KCTitus-

I assume you are all over this?

xoxo~
Gaz
Agitating for no other reason than orneriness.

Iowanian
04-23-2001, 02:18 PM
somehow I just assumed Titus would be on it.....

I'm trying to be optimistic, but for some reason just feel like my dog was just run over. At this point I guess I have no choice but to trust the scouts and hope for the best.....

Wanted a bone crushing LB and a deceivingly fast white receiver that went to a division rival....and a DT I'd heard of before....

~should have done more homework or have blind faith.

Storm
04-23-2001, 08:52 PM
Turdell sands .. 6' 7" and weighs what 350 something?? that is very large and intimidating .. it seems to me that he is getting bigger stronger and smarter (hard not to with only 1 year of exp) but why did downing warrant a pick 170 higher?? This guy could pick up the exp within 1/2 years and be good and yet not cost a lot plus he could be great for our rotation later this year.

Horne & Minnis room mates ?? i sure hope not .. that has trouble written all over it .. and please keep both of them away from our innocent sly mo.

I was a little dumb founded when we choose billy baber over mcmahon and then hoped to get him the next pic .. carolina obviously need QB mroe than TE and i m sure baber would have been available (what team wudda thunk that we would choose a TE?) ..

I think the pick of FB layne was a reach as well when there were better FB's available earlier ..

Wow the seahawks had a great draft .. got best WR , G, and FB in the draft along with other good players..

Is Blaylock another dante hall? I ve never seen any hightlights and so forth so i m hoping he isnt a bust like hall. . .

i also rate this draft C to C - as of now .. still have high hopes for the season tho

KCTitus
04-24-2001, 07:29 AM
There's no need to be pessimistic, but there is need to be realistic.

I realize that rounds 3-7 are, in essence, crap shoots as far as the draft is concerned. Probably the only thing that's better than 50/50 odds of success is drafting OLinemen in the later rounds.

I dont understand why we drafted a FB and TE in the 4th, nor do I understand why we drafted a 'reach' in Downing w/our first pick in the 3rd, but Im willing to give the new regime the benefit of the doubt at least once.

If anyone paid attention to the draft day coverage, this should once and for all put to bed the notion that Carl makes the selections himself w/o regard to what the coaches wanted. Mark Malone who was in the Chiefs war room reported on the second day, that Carl, Dick and Lynn Stiles along with the other coaches all had to reach a consensus on the pick before making it.

keg in kc
04-24-2001, 07:38 AM
Yeah, Titus, I've heard both Coach Vermeil and Chuck Cook (our director of college scouting) talk about that in the last day. It was fairly clear from the both of them that every pick we made was reached through a cencensus, and that no one person was responsible.

I have no problem being realistic - I just don't think we need to be negative. Exactly like you said, the 3rd round and on is a crapshoot, and there's no real way to tell that anyone else would do better/worse with us than the people we drafted.

The tight end pick I still don't understand, but I'm fairly comfortable with the Layne pick. I like Sulfstead, too, and I think he might work out at guard, maybe in the not too far distant future.

But who knows...