PDA

View Full Version : Congress to pull funding from Cheney for Office of VP?

jAZ
06-28-2007, 12:30 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I1U025hVMeY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I1U025hVMeY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
06-28-2007, 12:38 PM
ROFL Yup! Cut off his pay, his pension too.
He should still be impeached.

Everyone send a fax, an email and make a phone call on impeachement!

Don't just be part of the Chattering Classes.

Cochise
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
What does the video say? I can't see crooksandliars or talkingpointsmeme or whatever this is.

Taco John
06-28-2007, 01:00 PM
What does the video say? I can't see crooksandliars or talkingpointsmeme or whatever this is.

YouTube?

noa
06-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Its a CSPAN clip of Rahm Emanuel on the House floor proposing a measure that would prevent the vice president from receiving any funding from the executive branch, since Cheney recently claimed that his office was a part of the legislative branch.

Taco John
06-28-2007, 01:02 PM
For those who cant see the video:

Emanuel seeks to cut funding for Cheney's office, home

By Leora Falk
Washington Bureau
Published June 26, 2007, 7:57 PM CDT

WASHINGTON—Responding to claims by Vice President Dick Cheney that his office is exempt from disclosing information about what it has classified as secret, Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) said Tuesday he will try to cut off the $4.8 million needed annually to run Cheney's office and home.

Last week, Cheney claimed he is not bound to disclose some national security requirements because, as president of the Senate, he is not part of the executive branch.

On Tuesday, a Cheney spokesman accused House Democrats of playing politics.

The controversy stems from an order signed by President Bush in 2003 that required all executive agencies and "any other entity within the executive branch that comes into the possession of classified information" to report on what it had classified.

Cheney, as first reported in the Tribune last year, has not disclosed that information. The vice president came under increasing scrutiny last week when Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) released documents highlighting Cheney's failure to report the information and the vice president's suggestion that the oversight office be closed rather than that he be forced to disclose the classification.

Emanuel's proposal would be attached as an amendment to a spending bill that includes funding of the executive branch and which is expected to be considered by the House as early as Wednesday night. The amendment proposes that no executive funds be used for the vice president's office, including any money for Cheney's vice presidential residence.

"He's not part of the executive branch. We're not going to fund something that doesn't exist," said Emanuel, who is also the House Democratic Caucus chairman. "I'm following through on the vice president's logic, no matter how ludicrous it might be."

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said the Senate ought to follow suit in cutting funding if Cheney does not comply with the executive order.

Cheney spokeswoman Megan McGinn retorted, "I think it is sad that Congressman Emanuel would rather focus on partisan politics than the serious issues facing our country."

White House press secretary Tony Snow said the president and vice president are not executive "agencies" and are therefore not covered under the executive order, but he stopped short of placing Cheney exclusively in the legislative branch. Snow He said the vice president has served "in an executive capacity delegated to him by the president" and noted that, constitutionally "there are no specified executive activities for the vice president," and that his role "is a wonderful academic question."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-cheney_wedjun26,1,6424091.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

dirk digler
06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Cheney has already caved in

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0607/4679.html

Dems force Cheney to flip-flop on secret docs

By: Mike Allen
Jun 27, 2007 08:47 AM EST
Updated: June 27, 2007 06:17 PM EST

Dick Cheney's lawyers agree: He's part of the executive branch.

Dick Cheney's office is abandoning a justification for keeping the vice president's secret papers out of the hands of the National Archives, while asserting a new argument for withholding them.

Officials working for Cheney had tried to claim he is separate from the executive branch, but they will no longer pursue that defense, senior administration officials tell The Politico.

The decision follows a threat by Rep. Rahm Emanuel (Ill.), the No. 3 House Democrat, to try to cut off the office's $4.8 million in executive-branch funding, and a letter from Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) asking for the reasoning behind the argument.

The dispute arose after House Oversight Committee Chairman Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.) posted an eight-page letter he had written to Cheney taking issue with what he said was an assertion by the vice president's office last year that he is "not an 'entity within the executive branch' and hence is not subject to presidential executive orders." The vice president also serves as president of the Senate, a function that is part of the legislative branch.

At issue was an executive order giving the National Archives oversight over the government's handling of classified information.

David S. Addington, Cheney's chief of staff and counsel, wrote in a three-paragraph response to Kerry on Tuesday that the executive order on classified national security information does not give the archivists authority over the president or vice president.

Addington said that therefore it "is not necessary in these circumstances to address the subject of any alternative reasoning."

That amounted to throwing in the towel on the claim that the vice president is distinct from the executive branch, according to administration officials speaking on condition of anonymity, and the White House has no plans to reassert the argument.

Kerry posted Addington's response on his Senate website, calling the letter "legalistic" and a continued attempt to "duck and dodge on agency scrutiny, classified documents."

Two senior Republican officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that the rationale had been the view of the vice president's lawyers, not Cheney himself.

White House spokespeople have been struggling to answer questions about the argument without repeating, amplifying or embracing it.

Blogs, comics and pundits feasted on the neither-fish-nor-fowl argument, with Jon Stewart joking on "The Daily Show" Tuesday night that the vice president may be "half she-wolf."

Now, a senior administration official tells The Politico: "It's a moot point to get into executive functions and legislative functions because of the executive order's intent. That trumps all, because it is what the president intended."

Emanuel, who has scheduled a vote on Cheney's funding for Thursday, said the change makes it clear that the White House "told Cheney that he would have to come up with another excuse -- that this was not sustainable in the public arena."

Emanuel said the vote is still planned and the new argument means the vice president needs to comply with National Archives requirements.

White House press secretary Tony Snow read from the Addington letter at his briefing on Tuesday but said he was going to leave the constitutional parsing to others. "The vice president is the president of the Senate," Snow said. "It is a wonderful academic question and I'm just not going to go any further than we've gone to date."

Kerry's office says it has sent Addington a letter with more questions. A senior Senate aide said Kerry had considered the Cheney contention to be "Orwellian."

UPDATE: Kerry called the Addington letter "legalistic" and a continued attempt to "duck and dodge on agency scrutiny, classified documents." He has posted it on his Senate Web site.

In his original letter, dated Monday, Kerry said: "In the interest of transparency I request the reasoning behind any claims that the Office of the Vice President does not fall under the executive branch. Additionally, given that the Office of the Vice President has not been issuing reports or allowing inspectors to verify any safeguards, I would like to know what steps the Office is taking to protect classified information."

Pitt Gorilla
06-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I like how his office accused them of "playing politics." What exactly do they think Cheney was doing?

banyon
06-28-2007, 01:23 PM
This is why Emanuel should've been speaker from the start. He is not the type to snivel in the corner when people call him a name or two like Pelosi of Reid.

WoodDraw
06-28-2007, 01:32 PM
It's a great publicity stunt - the perfect response to Cheney's claim.

jiveturkey
06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
This is why Emanuel should've been speaker from the start. He is not the type to snivel in the corner when people call him a name or two like Pelosi of Reid.The dems consistently have the worst leaders in place.

It's like one of those giant rolls of toilet paper in a public restroom. Once they run out of shit wipe people to put into leadership roles they'll simply slide the trap door over to the next giant roll.

Pitt Gorilla
06-28-2007, 06:16 PM
It's amazing how quickly (and well) this worked. Cheney made up some crap and the Dems actually called him on it.

BucEyedPea
06-28-2007, 06:34 PM
It's amazing how quickly (and well) this worked. Cheney made up some crap and the Dems actually called him on it.
Finally, a REAL opposition party!

patteeu
06-29-2007, 04:08 PM
I like how his office accused them of "playing politics." What exactly do they think Cheney was doing?

Protecting his constitutional office from bad precedent?

I don't know how you can entertain the thought that proposing some legalistic gymnastics that sound pretty ludicrous to the average voter is a form of "playing politics."

CHIEF4EVER
06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
The dems consistently have the worst leaders in place.

It's like one of those giant rolls of toilet paper in a public restroom. Once they run out of shit wipe people to put into leadership roles they'll simply slide the trap door over to the next giant roll.

LMAO

patteeu
06-29-2007, 04:14 PM
The dems consistently have the worst leaders in place.

I'm sure that to democrats/dem sympathizers this is how it seems. I assure you that most Republicans/Rep sympathizers think Republican congressional leaders have long been the least imaginative, most error prone, prat falling creatures on the planet.

mlyonsd
06-29-2007, 06:19 PM
This is a great move by the dems seeing as their approval is the lowest of all time and they can't get anything else done.