PDA

View Full Version : Make "Lobby System" illegal.

Frankie
06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Candidates beholding to big lobbies get more support especially in monitory terms than candidates who truly want to serve the people. Therefore they can more easily win elections. Once in the office, they have to repay by pushing for issues that benefit the said lobbies. This leaves you and I in the cold and leads to the corruption that's already rampant in Washington. Here's my question:

Why can't we pass a law that would make the lobby system illegal. Candidates who run (say for potus) will be all alocated the same amount of $ by the taxpayers and told to manage their campains with it. Obviously the ones who manage the money better would be a better candidate to address the national budget woes. This would allow those (rare?) candidates who actually wanna do something for Joe public to survive and stay on important issues.

Thoughts?

Logical
06-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Candidates beholding to big lobbies get more support especially in monitory terms than candidates who truly want to serve the people. Therefore they can more easily win elections. Once in the office, they have to repay by pushing for issues that benefit the said lobbies. This leaves you and I in the cold and leads to the corruption that's already rampant in Washington. Here's my question:

Why can't we pass a law that would make the lobby system illegal. Candidates who run (say for potus) will be all alocated the same amount of $ by the taxpayers and told to manage their campains with it. Obviously the ones who manage the money better would be a better candidate to address the national budget woes. This would allow those (rare?) candidates who actually wanna do something for Joe public to survive and stay on important issues.

Thoughts?

1st amendment issues prevent this from happening, I know for you this must be difficult to understand as it is so hard to see the direct relationship. But our ability to support the candidate the way we want is difficult to distinguish from freedom of expression.

By the way your idea would not work anyway, the lobbyists would just muster volunteers to work the campaigns to gain influence over candidates.

alnorth
06-30-2007, 05:53 PM
You have a thorough lack of understanding of what lobbyists actually do.

If you see a politician on the sidewalk, and stop him to have a chat on an issue you care about, guess what... your now a lobbyist, too, only the pros are more organised, entrenched, and may have the ear of some voters if they dont like what your doing, but in the end, all they are doing generally is trying to talk about issues to convince a politician that their way is correct.

We already have a slew of laws about bribing and gifts from lobbyists, you may have some misguided vision of lobbyists being a pit of bidders trying to buy votes, but cynicism and bad apples aside, thats not how it works, and youll need to get rid of the 1st amendment to end lobbying.

BucEyedPea
06-30-2007, 06:07 PM
The reason lobbyists are used is because things happen with groups.
The groups hire them for access. Joe Q. Public is just not organized unfortunately.

However, I have sat in someone's living room with a roomful of middle class and well to do folks where people pledged money to raise to pay for a lobbyist. It was the only way to get effective access.

On the other hand, if we just followed our original Constitution, there wouldn't be much lobbying as most things being demanded wouldn't be allowed.

Baby Lee
06-30-2007, 07:02 PM
On the other hand, if we just followed our original Constitution, there wouldn't be much lobbying as most things being demanded wouldn't be allowed.
Though I wouldn't word it quite the same way, this is on to a good point.
The reason lobbyists are so important nowadays is because the government has been honed into a big ol' goody dispensing and burden placing machine.
It has so much control over our lives that it's worth investing considerable sums of money to get a little of that burden of your back and onto someone else's back.
Rather than trying to counter the ever adapting methods of those entreating the system, perhaps we'd be better served to make the system less of a force in our lives overall.

Logical
06-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Though I wouldn't word it quite the same way, this is on to a good point.
The reason lobbyists are so important nowadays is because the government has been honed into a big ol' goody dispensing and burden placing machine.
It has so much control over our lives that it's worth investing considerable sums of money to get a little of that burden of your back and onto someone else's back.
Rather than trying to counter the ever adapting methods of those entreating the system, perhaps we'd be better served to make the system less of a force in our lives overall.

This is true but I am not sure you and BEP are thinking along the same lines.