PDA

View Full Version : Rain

Dark Horse
06-30-2007, 08:38 PM
12 inches of rain in the last 48 hours and still coming down in buckets. Kansas , Oklahoma and Texas residents how bad is the flooding in your area? Lots of highways here in South East Kansas being closed for flooding.

luv
06-30-2007, 08:40 PM
My bosses son was coming here from Arkansas City, KS yesterday. He left just as some of the highways were being closed. We've had a lot of rain here, but nowhere near flood level. I think they've seen the worst of it.

Dark Horse
06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
My bosses son was coming here from Arkansas City, KS yesterday. He left just as some of the highways were being closed. We've had a lot of rain here, but nowhere near flood level. I think they've seen the worst of it.
I didn't realize the flooding was that far west.

Simply Red
06-30-2007, 08:43 PM
We'd gladly take some from you. It is dry as a bone here in Atlanta.

Dark Horse
06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I guess I could collect some in a jar or something and send it to you by mail. It would probably arrive just in time for your next flood.

Simply Red
06-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I guess I could collect some in a jar or something and send it to you by mail. It would probably arrive just in time for your next flood.

yeah, really.

Gracie Dean
06-30-2007, 10:25 PM

would gladly give you some

it has rained for almost 20 days off and on

we are sick of it

Skip Towne
06-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Tulsa TV6 said tonight it has rained 20 of the last 23 days here in "Green Country".

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I was in KC during the summer of '93. Has it gotten worse than that?

Baconeater
06-30-2007, 10:43 PM
That's crazy, we've had 0.05" of rain here in the month of June. I'm afraid if I attempt to light off any fireworks I'll set half of the state on fire.

Phobia
06-30-2007, 10:44 PM
I was in KC during the summer of '93. Has it gotten worse than that?

It hasn't even been all that bad here. I mean it's rained steady but it's only been 3 or 4 days.

Phobia
06-30-2007, 10:44 PM
That's crazy, we've had 0.05" of rain here in the month of June. I'm afraid if I attempt to light off any fireworks I'll set half of the state on fire.

And 40 inches in May.

TinyEvel
06-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Funny, I was watching Ratatouille today and in the opening scene it's raining, and i thought: Damn, I can hardly remember what a rainy day is like. Really sad. It's so dry here in SoCal they are in an October level of the fire dryness. We've screwed up the planet.

Baconeater
06-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Funny, I was watching Ratatouille today and in the opening scene it's raining, and i thought: Damn, I can hardly remember what a rainy day is like. Really sad. It's so dry here in SoCal they are in an October level of the fire dryness. We've screwed up the planet.
Dammit, we've been through this before, we all know it never rains in southern California.

Smed1065
06-30-2007, 11:51 PM

I know the news stated we set the record for driest year to date since they started tracking it and we did not receive any rain before midnight last night.

boogblaster
07-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Over 15 inches here in Quincy Ks.. river is crested and out of banks..about 150 yards from me house.. they were opening the flood gates at Toronto Dam at midnight for 6 hours to let off some of the pressure..they evacauted the town below the dam Coyville....

FAX
07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
A old friend from SE Kansas called this morning. The call was placed from a cell phone in a rowboat travelling down what used to be a street.

I guess the water is kinda high. No word on sea serpents, man-eating sharks, or Jessica Alba in scuba gear sightings.

FAX

greg63
07-01-2007, 10:30 AM
12 inches of rain in the last 48 hours and still coming down in buckets. Kansas , Oklahoma and Texas residents how bad is the flooding in your area? Lots of highways here in South East Kansas being closed for flooding.

I live in Coffeyville near the eastern part of town that is currently flooded, and we were evacuated last night. It is 4-5 blocks from my house to the north and east. The Flood Warning has been extended to 6pm.

greg63
07-01-2007, 10:33 AM
From what I understand Fredonia KS got hammered; much of it is underwater.

Hydrae
07-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Things have calmed some here in Central Texas but we already have our average rainfall for the year and we are only 1/2 through the year. :eek:

Marble Falls is about 30 west of me, they got 19 inches the other night (under 12 hour time period I believe). The worst of it was the water system had something go wrong so while they were being flooded, they had no drinking type water available. Talk about the ol' "Water, water, everywhere but not a drop to drink."

While it hasn't rained much the last couple of days we are still getting occassional showers and they still don't see any end to this in the next couple of weeks. I will say I have never seen this area so green in the 8 years we have been here.

MikeTheWildcat
07-01-2007, 10:53 AM
I was up visiting my in-laws just outside of Fredonia. It is a mess right now around here. The water is out, electric is out, flooding all over. We are going to try to make it to 400 just north of the town, wish us luck!

Stay safe everyone!

blueballs
07-01-2007, 10:59 AM
this has been one wet summer
the garden spiders will be the
size of jungle tarantellas

greg63
07-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I was up visiting my in-laws just outside of Fredonia. It is a mess right now around here. The water is out, electric is out, flooding all over. We are going to try to make it to 400 just north of the town, wish us luck!

Stay safe everyone!

Good luck.

greg63
07-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Here's the forecast in my area.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Dammit, we've been through this before, we all know it never rains in southern California.
:clap:

but it pours... man it pours......

alnorth
07-01-2007, 12:04 PM
GlobalWarmingProvenBy(string Cause)
{
Boolean GlobalWarming = FALSE;
HistoricalAverage = GetHistoricalAverage(Cause);
Measurement = GetMeasurement(Cause);
If (Measurement < HistoricalAverage)
GlobalWarming = TRUE;
Else
If (Measurement > HistoricalAverage)
GlobalWarming = TRUE;
Return GlobalWarming;
}

GlobalWarming = GlobalWarmingProvenBy("Rain");
If (GlobalWarming == FALSE)
{
GlobalWarming = GlobalWarmingProvenBy("Temperature");
{
GlobalWarming = GlobalWarmingProvenBy("Wind");
{
GlobalWarming = GlobalWarmingProvenBy("Polar Ice");
{
GlobalWarming = GlobalWarmingProvenBy("Snow");
}
}
}
}
{
GlobalWarmingCausedBySomethingElse = TRUE;
EvilCorporationsAreBlockingResearch = TRUE;
GlobalWarming = TRUE;
}
If (GlobalWarming == TRUE)
{
FundingForGreenProjects = FundingForGreenProjects + 100000000000;
}

Jilly
07-01-2007, 01:30 PM

I hear more foreplay can help with that???
:shrug:

"Bob" Dobbs
07-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Just got power back in Fredonia, and a lot of the water seems to have subsided. I understand 400 towards Independence is still underwater though.

Skip Towne
07-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I heard Neodesha is now an island.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Yep. Only access is by air or boat.

greg63
07-01-2007, 05:39 PM
This is a record breaking flood; never in recorded history has a flood been this bad in our area - unless, of course, you wanna count the one that needed the use of an ark.

Simply Red
07-01-2007, 07:05 PM

The wrath of god just arrived in my backyard (well my front as well) sheets of rain and 55 mph wind the trees are going crazy.

Headed downstairs now.

This shit is crazy.

OnTheWarpath58
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I live in Coffeyville near the eastern part of town that is currently flooded, and we were evacuated last night. It is 4-5 blocks from my house to the north and east. The Flood Warning has been extended to 6pm.

Coffeyville was featured on the NBC Nightly News this evening.

Hope you and your family are OK, Greg.

MikeTheWildcat
07-01-2007, 08:52 PM
We'll, we made it out of Fredonia. We had to cross a bridge that was weaken from the storm, but we made it. We had took HWY 400 over to Wichita then I35 to OKC. Lots of water to the sides of I35 in a couple of spots.

I heard that Fredonia has power back and the water is starting to go down. The OKC news had overhead of Coffeyville. The eastern half is under water.

The OKC news is saying that more rain is coming to SE Kansas. Thursday is the 1st day without rain (in OKC).

Stay safe and pray for the people in the flood areas.

Ari Chi3fs
07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Jessica Alba just floated by in Scuba Gear!!

http://www.ikelite.com/triv_photos/alba_full.jpg

DaFace
07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I just got back from my cousin's wedding in Oklahoma City. It was supposed to be an outdoor wedding, but the weather didn't exactly cooperate. Anyway, I don't know what it's like outside of a very small area that I drove through, but there were numerous lakes that I'm pretty sure were supposed to be fields around.

TopJet2
07-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Here in Iola hwy 54 was reopened around 3oclock today but hwy 69 was still flooded just north of chanute last we heard. Theres still lots of water on the south side of town hoping to see it start to fall tomorrow. Right now the Neosho river extends from the west side of Iola city limits for about 2 to 3 miles west. Many folks are talking like this is the worst since '51

Dunit35
07-02-2007, 01:34 AM
My future father in law was fishing at Lake Texhoma and said they had to leave a day early because they closed the lake do to the lake being too high.

Redrum_69
07-02-2007, 08:53 AM
DOnt even get me started

ChiefaRoo
07-02-2007, 09:02 AM

and that would be bad because?

REDHOTGTO
07-02-2007, 09:49 AM
wanna see pics of the water here? go to www.indykansas.com
click flood pics and see all the crap we have

Dark Horse
07-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Tried to find a way into Chanute from the east today to go to work<> Simply put you just can't get there from here right now.

Monty
07-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Here's a pic of Coffeeville. We're supposed to be traveling up to KC from Dallas this weekend for a wedding....I hope it has subsided by then.

http://www.cjournal.com/homepage/images_sizedimage_182183220/xl

Radar Chief
07-02-2007, 12:58 PM
The Neosho crested yesterday morning at 9:00, but it’s going down slow.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/webdata/gagedata/CNUK1.current.html

Chanute flooded in ’86, and this has exceeded the level the water got too in that flood

FAX
07-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Another call from my friend. Cows swimming amok, catfish lying in the streets, mud slinging.

This is a disaster.

FAX

Radar Chief
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Scenes from C-Town.

Radar Chief
07-02-2007, 01:23 PM
What do you mean the municipal pool was closed, looks like there’s water in it to me?

HemiEd
07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Scenes from C-Town.

Glad to see you post, I have been wondering how you are getting along. Family all ok?

Radar Chief
07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Glad to see you post, I have been wondering how you are getting along. Family all ok?

Yea, we’re all fine.
We’re on the other side of town from where this is all happening.
Mrs. Radar works for the county and is a “first responder” so she got called to work at 4:30 AM Sunday when they started evacuating Erie. That was about the only excitement for us this weekend, other than trying to keep my boy entertained with Sponge Bob reruns while it was pouring outside.

Radar Chief
07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Aerial photos of Iola and Humboldt.

http://picasaweb.google.com/IolaKansas/IolaFlood2007AerialView

greg63
07-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Here's the latest from my neck of the woods. My wifes an't and uncle lost everything, along with most everyone else on the east side of town.

Coffeyville residents cope with major flooding
Posted By: Prashanthi Musapet (musapet@kjrh.com)
http://www.centralmediaserver.com/KJRH/news/weather/kansasflood.jpg
Authorities shut down the east side of Coffeyville after major flooding causes harmful conditions to area residents.

Officials issued a mandatory evacuation order with around 2,500 evacuated so far.

Some didn't follow the notice and firefighters had to conduct 50 water rescues.

The flood conditions were made worse when contaminants were found in the water.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment are continuing to investigate the situation while a local refinery is being considered a possible cause.

Rooster
07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Here is a picture of the oil refinery in Coffeyville. You can see the crude leaking into the river.

Radar Chief
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Here is a picture of the oil refinery in Coffeyville. You can see the crude leaking into the river.

Yup.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/03/flooding.ap/index.html

COFFEYVILLE, Kansas (AP) -- The flood is bad enough, engulfing homes to the rooftops and turning neighborhoods into floating junkyards of children's toys and family heirlooms.
But the floodwaters here also carry some of the 42,000 gallons of crude oil that spilled from the Coffeyville Resources refinery on Sunday, coating everything they touch with a slimy, smelly layer of goo.
"My question is how are they going to get all that oil out of the environment," said Mary Burge, a heart surgery patient who was forced to breathe from her portable oxygen tank. The petroleum odor Monday was so strong it could be detected from helicopters passing overhead.
The oil spill, caused by a malfunction while the refinery was shutting down in advance of the flooding, has concerned federal and state officials as they monitor the slick's progress down the Verdigris River toward drinking water sources and recreation areas in Oklahoma.